Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2012, 08:47 PM   #31861
Llamaha
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 627
Guys thanks for your advice, may I ask if you can still have a pillion when using the Wolfman E12 bags as well?
Llamaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:55 AM   #31862
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 9,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftystrat62 View Post
Found a cool fix for the wolfman bag over on BigDog's web site. Here's my coverage of fixing my bags. Found these garbage pails at WalMart for $10 each.

Masrure up from bottom 11 1/2" then remove the excess material

Here are some helpful tools
The pail is just a bit wider at the top so you need to make a cut down the side to allow the top part to "shrink down a bit to fit properly in the bag. Be sure to drill a hole near the bottom before you make your side cut so the cut doesn't "run".

Be sure to drill a hole in the bottom in order to let the air burp out from the bag -otherwise you'll never get it in or out.

I also chose to clean up the bottom inside the pail so as not to snag my things. You may want to do this first before you cut the side slot-less stress on that cut.

There she is in all her glory

Haven't tried it on the trails,but getting stuff to fit in these bags has been a PITA-hopefully no more
Jeepers, what a great mod for those Wolfie bags! I have a set for two of my motorcycles. I've become pretty good at packing them since I always carry the same kit, but maybe I could enhance them with this little mod. Thanks so much!
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:56 AM   #31863
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 2,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardWorkingDog View Post
You either make a living with your tools, or just know good quality
+1, noticed the Pfeil gouge as well. Got of few of those in my tool roll also. And you thought motorcyle tools were expensive...

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:32 AM   #31864
oldtrucks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
Graves Motorsports Exhaust

I'm going to go look at a used WR250R that has a Graves Motorsports full exhaust on it. I checked their website and there is no mention of it having any provision for a USFS spark arrestor so I doubt it is compliant.

Has anyone got any better information? How about adding one of the aftermarket screens like the FMF?

I have to have a USFS approved exhaust so if I can't make this work I may be looking for a stock set up
Old 12-14-2012, 12:25 PM   #31865
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 8,922
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrucks View Post
I'm going to go look at a used WR250R that has a Graves Motorsports full exhaust on it. I checked their website and there is no mention of it having any provision for a USFS spark arrestor so I doubt it is compliant.

Has anyone got any better information? How about adding one of the aftermarket screens like the FMF?

I have to have a USFS approved exhaust so if I can't make this work I may be looking for a stock set up
According to the CW review it has a spark arrestor..

Quote:
"About that exhaust: It is equipped with an approved spark arrestor..."
'81 R100RS Rattlecandy Red
'06 950 ADV Orangeboom
91 R100GSPD Derelict

Rapid Dog screwed with this post 12-14-2012 at 01:01 PM
Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:50 PM   #31866
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,597
Quote:

1. Look for the little USFS stamp on the exhaust or words that say "spark arrestor."
2. Bring a coat-hanger gauge (that's a technical term) wire and poke it down the exhaust tip. If there's a spark arrestor it will not pass all the way through the muffler.

Next Trip: the Nevada-Utah-Arizona 3 step (hoping, DingWeed)...

"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"
HardWorkingDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 01:39 PM   #31867
SportEvo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
back in the fold again ...

i bought a wr250r when they first came out, rode it for 5K miles and wished i'd never sold it.
remedied my mistake last weekend - bought highfives' bike.
great guy, love the bike (and no, i'm not going to say how much i paid for it).
looking forward to getting on the trails with it this weekend (about 100 street miles so far).
Pete
SportEvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:59 PM   #31868
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportEvo View Post
i bought a wr250r when they first came out, rode it for 5K miles and wished i'd never sold it.
remedied my mistake last weekend - bought highfives' bike.
great guy, love the bike (and no, i'm not going to say how much i paid for it).
looking forward to getting on the trails with it this weekend (about 100 street miles so far).
Pete
Why did High Five sell it? It seems like he loved that bike so much from the reading I've done in this thread.
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:30 PM   #31869
oldtrucks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid Dog View Post
According to the CW review it has a spark arrestor..
We're talking about two different systems. The one in the article is the GYTR Slip On, the one I'm looking at is the Graves Motorsports Full System with a radical looking header and Carbon Can

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardWorkingDog View Post
1. Look for the little USFS stamp on the exhaust or words that say "spark arrestor."
2. Bring a coat-hanger gauge (that's a technical term) wire and poke it down the exhaust tip. If there's a spark arrestor it will not pass all the way through the muffler.
Locally it's Option 1 or nothing. If it doesn't have a Sticker/Plate attached to the can it's a citation. I asked and as far as the forest service cops are concerned it doesn't matter. It also came up at a Trials event a few years ago, it has to have a Sticker/Plate or there has to be one of the FMF style screens with the USFS Approved stamp.

I'll know more tomorrow when I see it in person

oldtrucks screwed with this post 12-14-2012 at 08:17 PM
oldtrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:16 PM   #31870
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 3,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftystrat62 View Post
Found a cool fix for the wolfman bag over on BigDog's web site. Here's my coverage of fixing my bags. Haven't tried it on the trails,but getting stuff to fit in these bags has been a PITA-hopefully no more
Looking at these bags I see straps everywhere. I like the mod BigDog came up with especially for commuting duties. How much of a hassle is it to open the bags open and access them. Multiple straps?
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:29 PM   #31871
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamaha View Post
Guys thanks for your advice, may I ask if you can still have a pillion when using the Wolfman E12 bags as well?

There's still room on my bike. I have the original enduro saddlebags but overall dimensions are similar enough. They dont block the passenger pegs at all.
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 04:44 AM   #31872
pfy50
Professional nOOb

Oddometer: 388
Quote:

Hello oldtrucks,
What is your intended purpose for the bike. The GYTR and Graves muffler units and header were built for constant high RPM range of racing and are not necessarily the optimum for a daily rider bike like most us enjoy. It may be your intention, but if racing is what you want then the F series of bikes would be a better starting point
pfy50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:09 AM   #31873
Shawnee Bill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
Looking at these bags I see straps everywhere. I like the mod BigDog came up with especially for commuting duties. How much of a hassle is it to open the bags open and access them. Multiple straps?
Not to bad. Once you get the bags adjusted to your bike and the compression straps snugged up you can open the bags with just a couple of snap open buckles. It's a trade off between what features you like the most.

Shawnee Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:52 AM   #31874
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 7,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEKAMOUSE View Post
Hey does anyone have info on a manual cam chain tensioner for the Wrr just wondering?

Did you ever find one? I do make them and have about ten out in the field, maybe you've already contacted me, I don't know. Here's the tensioner, the revised version has the adjuster bolt slotted both for adjustment and to hold the adjuster bolt while tightening the locking nut, the jam nut is unnecessary and not in the kit, the fastners are:

PM or email me (I think it's enabled here) if one is still needed.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:13 AM   #31875
jon_l
Southern Ontario

Oddometer: 2,641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamaha View Post
I never have, but it looks like it would work OK with a pillion, though I only routed the forward cross-seat straps under the seat, so the way mine are mounted the pillion would be sitting on the strap and those 2 plastic loops.

Since this photo, I rerouted the Super Soaker straps underneath the rack, but the ones that go over the seat are the same.