Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2012, 12:55 PM   #31951
byron555
Lame Duck Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,052
Ride height: Forks vs Rear shock

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
Just curious - I assumed I needed to raise the tubes in the clamps when I did the shock clevis lowering, to keep the bike more-or-less the same geometry as original. Seems like the handling would be slow with the front high like that. Haven't tried it though, after lowering the rear, I also dropped the front 3/4" before I rode it.

Front is even easier to lower than the rear, if you decide to do it.
mine is adjusted the same... front stock, rear lowered. It actually slows the steering some, which is fine on this bike in my opinion, because this bike turns quick anyway. The bike also feels more stable at speed off-road with set up, especially in the loose stuff.

The original owner had the forks "raised" in the clamps lowering the front to match the rear. I put it back to stock and it was much better, of course the "clickers" for dampening were WAY OFF, and I changed those too. Went from sketchy off-road to stable. I am not sure what had more of an effect, but I did the forks 1st, and it was noticeable in a positive way
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=997633
byron555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:26 PM   #31952
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 9,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSBS View Post
I've had one of these about two years and had to use it twice on the WR-R; worked fine, but once in soft ground I had to scramble to find a plastic 20-oz. soft drink bottle to put under it to keep it from sinking up. Usually there's something around for that - rock, plastic bottle, beer can, etc.

http://www.endurostar.com
I might add that this particular motorcycle requires a little creative lifting with a trail stand when you want to fix the front tire. The rear wants to scoot and can become unstable. I try and find something to wedge the rear wheel against. A curb or a tree will work.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:50 PM   #31953
GSBS
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
I might add that this particular motorcycle requires a little creative lifting with a trail stand when you want to fix the front tire. The rear wants to scoot and can become unstable. I try and find something to wedge the rear wheel against. A curb or a tree will work.
I just put mine in low gear and it was fine, maybe a bit tippy. Loosen the axle nut and axle clamp bolts BEFORE putting on the trail stand. Still better than hoisting from a tree limb, etc.
GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:21 PM   #31954
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 1,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
Just curious - I assumed I needed to raise the tubes in the clamps when I did the shock clevis lowering, to keep the bike more-or-less the same geometry as original. Seems like the handling would be slow with the front high like that. Haven't tried it though, after lowering the rear, I also dropped the front 3/4" before I rode it.

Front is even easier to lower than the rear, if you decide to do it.
With the aftermarket bars that came installed on mine, I might have a half inch before the forks would hit. It didn't seem to handle different after I lowered the rear.

I don't have issue sliding over to one side to get a foot down, just hard to do when on a sloped trail and rocks cause you to lose all momentum. A lot of my issues off road are really just a matter of confidence. This season I've ridden a lot less and thrown learning off-road on top of it which has led to a lot of weird not feeling right situations and allowed myself to get really psyched out. Some of my issues just require the application of more throttle to power through and more confidence to turn at speed on rough surfaces.
jgiacobbe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:48 PM   #31955
pfy50
Professional nOOb

Oddometer: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSBS View Post
I've had one of these about two years and had to use it twice on the WR-R; worked fine, but once in soft ground I had to scramble to find a plastic 20-oz. soft drink bottle to put under it to keep it from sinking up. Usually there's something around for that - rock, plastic bottle, beer can, etc.

http://www.endurostar.com
TNX GSBS

That is the one I am thinking of. I thought I had a missing clevis pin on mine but it is shown with only one so I will go to a local hardware store to see if I can get a similar one. So I can secure the top cradle thing to the upper rod which should make it a little more stable.

TNX Bash3r
For your help. If this doesn't work out I might try FDKLR's stand

pfy50 screwed with this post 12-19-2012 at 05:57 PM
pfy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:12 PM   #31956
KansasBob
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfy50 View Post
TNX GSBS

That is the one I am thinking of. I thought I had a missing clevis pin on mine but it is shown with only one so I will go to a local hardware store to see if I can get a similar one. So I can secure the top cradle thing to the upper rod which should make it a little more stable.

TNX Bash3r
For your help. If this doesn't work out I might try FDKLR's stand

I know for sure the maker of these stands sourced all the small parts from the hardware store. The foot is an "elevator floor bolt" and the clip is just a standard item.
KansasBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:27 PM   #31957
japako
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by KansasBob View Post

I know for sure the maker of these stands sourced all the small parts from the hardware store. The foot is an "elevator floor bolt" and the clip is just a standard item.
I made one from aluminum and use a part from a 1/4'' wire wall hanger.
I would really like to find the clip you are talking about. What would you call it or where would it be used?
japako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:01 PM   #31958
KansasBob
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by japako View Post
I made one from aluminum and use a part from a 1/4'' wire wall hanger.
I would really like to find the clip you are talking about. What would you call it or where would it be used?
This is the clip I'm talking about. It's called an "R" Clip. They are for sale everywhere.

If you are talking about the "cradle" on the top of the Trail Stand, the part that sets under your foot peg or where ever, it's custom made for the stand, and can only be sourced thru Steve on his web site. Email him and tell him Rick James referred you................. He'll give you one for FREE!!!

KansasBob screwed with this post 12-19-2012 at 07:16 PM
KansasBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:07 PM   #31959
Longboardr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
This is the clip I'm talking about. It's called an "R" Clip. They are for sale everywhere.

Aka hairpin clip
Longboardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:03 PM   #31960
japako
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
Ok, thanks for the pics. I have that part and the one I could not think of, the cradle is the one I would like to have. I have to give him a shout.
Thanks again.
japako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:27 PM   #31961
pfy50
Professional nOOb

Oddometer: 422
Quote:

If you are talking about the "cradle" on the top of the Trail Stand, the part that sets under your foot peg or where ever, it's custom made for the stand, and can only be sourced thru Steve on his web site. Email him and tell him Rick James referred you................. He'll give you one for FREE!!!
TNX KansasBob,

That is the part I was looking for, but could not figure out the name. They use them to secure clevis pins to things like tow bars.

Apparently they also call them hitch pins on Amazon.com
pfy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:29 AM   #31962
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by krussell View Post
I'm interested in the pic of your home made mount.
I used the same basic design both for my tiger and the WR. With the WR I just bent the plate around more. The pictures make the WR mount look more obstructive to viewing the instrument cluster but really when sitting on the bike its not an issue. I realize some people prefer to have the gps higher but this works for me and, its free.

swimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:32 AM   #31963
krussell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
I used the same basic design both for my tiger and the WR. With the WR I just bent the plate around more. The pictures make the WR mount look more obstructive to viewing the instrument cluster but really when sitting on the bike its not an issue. I realize some people prefer to have the gps higher but this works for me and, its free.

Very clean. If I didn't like the vertical orientation of the Montana so much I might go this route. Thanks for taking the time to post the pics.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:37 AM   #31964
Old_Crow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboardr View Post
I did Hatfield (Buffalo Mtn) a couple months after I bought my Rē in February. It worked just fine on most trails. The bike is a bit heavy for the harder single track stuff but if you're feeling froggy it will get you through most of it.
Thanks for the lead on this trail system. Our family just got our hands on a ton of land in that area so I'll have to try this out when I'm in WV this summer.
Old_Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:23 AM   #31965
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Crow View Post
Thanks for the lead on this trail system. Our family just got our hands on a ton of land in that area so I'll have to try this out when I'm in WV this summer.
I hear a lot of people there never even touch the hatfield trail systems, because there are so many other "outlaw" trails that are free and awesome. If I was there more than a couple days at the time I would try and explore some of these.
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote