Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-25-2012, 07:10 PM   #32026
grubbie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecarnell View Post
Sorry about your luck.

Thank you though for re affirming that's its best to keep mine stock!
Yeah I have always had the mindset that if I need more power, I'll buy a bike with more power. But, I also understand that "tinkering" is half the fun for some people, so,......good on 'em. I have made some mods, but my engine is stock. The thing is just so trouble free and dependable I don't want to jinx it. It has plenty of power for what I do, though I wouldnt mind having more at times just for fun. WR450F maybe, set up for street legal would be nice. But I dont see me ever getting rid of the R2, I'll ride it till its dead. It is by far the most enjoyable bike I have ever owned.
Old 12-25-2012, 07:32 PM   #32027
Bgunn
Mucha distancia

Oddometer: 1,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdaddy View Post

I'm thinking it may be time to leave this WR250R experiment behind and return to my Orange roots with a fuel injected 350 EXC....I've really enjoyed the WR, but blowing up two engines has soured my taste buds..l

You lose that lovin feeling after two major mechanicals....Would welcome a 350 EXC into my inventory.
Bgunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 07:39 PM   #32028
leftystrat62
Adventurer

Oddometer: 999
AZTOM-check out BigDogs web site-he's ridden his every where and it's pretty much all stock. I give you credit for not throwing in the towel,it will be a whole other world your first time you ride with those knobbies. You'll be laughing in your helmet saying man this is fun!
leftystrat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 07:40 PM   #32029
japako
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
Mine is stock as for the engine and exhaust and it has more than enough power for me to get hurt real bad.. LOL
I started with the things I needed, not wanted. A good skid plate, hand guards, and tires. Then learn how to ride in the dirt before taken on too much. Sorry, just saw a pic of myself,, riding way over my head.
japako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 09:51 PM   #32030
bash3r
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdaddy View Post
No offense taken......asking myself the same question......I "cheaped out" up front and it's biting me in the ass now.....penny wise pound foolish (stupid)......

That said, I don't yet have confirmation as to what's causing the lack of compression/~88% blowby on leakdown......maybe I'll get lucky and it's just a bent/stuck valve.....doubtful.....
That's a bummer Chris, good to hear you posting up honestly about the situation. Hate to see you go to the dark side again lol, but best of luck my friend!!

Or just get another WRR and leave good enough alone for Pete's sake

My ADV Website | 3 Step Hideaway |Campground POIs
bash3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:55 AM   #32031
pfy50
Professional nOOb

Oddometer: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpatch View Post
Depends on where you live I guess. Around here studs are very common on cars if I were to call around I probably could find a tire shop that would do it for me. There are a few inmates locally that have the guns and studs. Keep an eye on ebay
True, around here in north east Tenn. they don't get enough heavy snow fall to warrant studding tires. These good-old boys just hop on the ATV's or John-Deeres or most everyone owns a 4WD truck for those rare occassions.
pfy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:35 AM   #32032
OldPete
Be aware

Oddometer: 3,776
Not trying to be a smart ass here.
I'm an old mechanic that has built and helped overhaul several bike engines... mostly two strokes back in the day.

Single ring pistons, like the 290 kit are race only imo. Using one compression ring demands frequent oil changes
because of blow down at compression/power stroke and fuel getting into the oil.

A second compression ring, like the 280 kit w/chilled iron sleeve, uses two compression rings.
The second ring really does help hold compression, it help stabilize the piston, removes excess oil the oil ring can't control
and helps remove heat from the piston. Compression rings transfer piston crown heat to the cylinder wall.

The slight reduction in friction gained by running one ring is not worth it imo considering how slick these treated aluminum cylinder walls are but I could be wrong.
OldPete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:55 AM   #32033
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by shep546 View Post
So far I have ordered some new safety gear (mx boots, elbow pads, knee pads) and I plan on getting nobby tires as I want to give this off roading stuff another chance.

I'm being told that mt21 front and dunlop 606 rear is the ideal way to go?

I've also been looking around for an exhaust upgrade and was wondering if anybody knows how the two brother's exhausts are?

Are there any mods I need to do to my bike?
Welcome to the forum and this thread.

The WRR is a good choice for ya.

Tires will help, but aren't the end-all-be-all for off road success. Most of that is skill achieved through practice. I've seen guys on bald street tires ride circles around guys on brand new knobs.

I'm also not so sure looking in to a new exhaust or any other hop ups is a great idea right now, given your skill level. I'd put on better tires, the lever guards, maybe a skid plate; and ride as much as you can.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:59 AM   #32034
Krabill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghollaba View Post
Back on a WR250R and feels GREAT.
Any other riders around Tulsa area to meet and get suggestions from?
Stock bike, reading thread to try and get up to speed.
Kinda concerned on either hitting rev limitor or something just not feeling right...
Planning trip to Big Bend in March.... YEESSSS
Like Strog said, there are quite a few riders here in Tulsa. A bunch of WR250R's, too

Every Friday is lunch at Cancun's ~7th and Lewis at 11:30.

Tuesday evenings are the local pub crawl - http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=465380
Krabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:17 AM   #32035
GSBS
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,866
MT43 rear...

Quote:
Namely the stock tires suck, and my bike was never properly adjusted for sag and rebound. So far I have ordered some new safety gear (mx boots, elbow pads, knee pads) and I plan on getting nobby tires as I want to give this off roading stuff another chance.

Also, look at the Pirelli MT43 DOT trials tire for the rear. I'm on my third one now and have been extremely pleased with them on the WR-R. I don't see ever changing back to the D606 rears I was running previously. I am still using the 606 front, although they cup badly when they wear out. That said, I'm getting about 4,500 miles from the 606 front and around 3K from the MT43 rear, so about 1.5 front tires to every rear tire. One really nice thing about these tires is that they seem to grip just as well when almost completely worn out as when new. IMO most DOT knobbies perform poorly once about half worn.

MT43 on my bike:

The Pirelli has a higher profile, meaning the tire's circumference is bigger and therefore the bike will sit a little higher in the rear and will be effectively geared slightly higher than with a stock tire. The same is true to a lesser degree with the 120/90-18 D606 however. Oh, and because you'll be running 12 PSI or lower, you must run a rim lock with the Pirelli.
GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:57 AM   #32036
Crawdaddy
Navigate 2 Adventure

Oddometer: 2,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by bash3r View Post
That's a bummer Chris, good to hear you posting up honestly about the situation. Hate to see you go to the dark side again lol, but best of luck my friend!!

Or just get another WRR and leave good enough alone for Pete's sake
We'll see what the shop comes back with.....I may take a box of stock "stuff" over there and have the bike rebuilt in stock form (250 engine, stock pipe, exup back in/flapper down, etc.)......

The best "performance" mod to make on these bikes costs less than ~$50........just tweak the gearing to suit your riding environment........all the $$ I threw at the engine/fuel programmer/exhaust only served to make a sewing machine sound like a motorcycle......a 26hp bike into a 28hp bike.......BFD

It is what it is......a heavy, underpowered, "all arounder".......but also a really fun bike!
http://www.WhereAmIRiding.com
Crawdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:06 AM   #32037
Crawdaddy
Navigate 2 Adventure

Oddometer: 2,196
Quote:
I'm a big proponent of the Pirelli MT43 Trials Trials for dualsport use.....they're DOT legal for street use and the park rangers like'em because they're low impact on the trails.......therefore they're less likely to hassle you with "Green friendly" tires......I've been using them almost exclusively in the rear since they came out ~5 years ago.........I can never make up my mind in the front........I generally run a matched set of MT43s on my WR250R and a more aggressive XCMH front on my 300 XCW..........the MT43's offer better traction in nasty/rocky stuff than a traditional knobby and they're better in sand than you'd think (provided you've aired'em down).....a good "all around" tire but you must run'em at low pressure or they'll fall apart/crack in the middle.......I'd also use a rim lock to keep the tube in place......

The only real down side of using these tires is they suck on downhills......your bike will pitch sideways under heavy breaking in the rear rather than holding a true/straight line.......so you need to use more front brake.....

They also don't slide/spin in corners like a true knobby.......the traction is too good......that can be kind of a bummer when you WANT to slide like a hooligan....

I run'em at ~10psi (sometimes ~8psi in the rear when off-road) with Bridgestone Ultra Heavy Duty Tubes.......they're expensive/heavy tubes but they'll ward off pinch flats from running at such low pressures

Review: http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/392/19...re-Review.aspx

Motorcycle superstore links:

Rear: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...Rear-Tire.aspx

Front: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ront-Tire.aspx

Another alternative for the front is the Pirelli XCMH......also DOT legal and more aggressive.....that's what I generally mount on my 300 XCW: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...T.ac=SLIsearch
http://www.WhereAmIRiding.com

Crawdaddy screwed with this post 12-26-2012 at 07:18 AM
Crawdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:07 AM   #32038
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftystrat62 View Post
AZTOM-check out BigDogs web site-he's ridden his every where and it's pretty much all stock. I give you credit for not throwing in the towel,it will be a whole other world your first time you ride with those knobbies. You'll be laughing in your helmet saying man this is fun!
Shep546 is the one that has had the issues Lefty, but thanks for giving him the heads up.
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:40 AM   #32039
Gas_Man
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Recommended Mods

[QUOTE=shep546;20328147]Hey guys,

First post here I'm going to do a bit of a introduction.

I'm 23, and last spring I decided I wanted to buy a motorcycle, took my course and went out and bought a brand new (possibly bad idea) 2012 wr250r.

I've also been looking around for an exhaust upgrade and was wondering if anybody knows how the two brother's exhausts are?

Are there any mods I need to do to my bike?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The number one performance mod for any bike, IMHO, is a properly tuned suspension.

Welcome & enjoy the ride!
Old 12-26-2012, 08:44 AM   #32040
shep546
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJXR75 View Post
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The number one performance mod for any bike, IMHO, is a properly tuned suspension.

Welcome & enjoy the ride!
Hey guys thanks for the tips... still stuck on the tire decision cause I get so many conflicting reports from different forums and different riders.

And about the suspension apparently it should have been adjusted for me at the dealership but it wasn't when I bought it I had no idea you could even adjust the suspensions on these things...
shep546 is offline   Reply With Quote