KansasBob screwed with this post 12-30-2012 at 07:51 AM
KansasBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:46 AM   #32132
shep546
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbed06 View Post
I know they are only cosmetic but those side panels make the WR look a lot better. Maybe a group buy to save shipping costs? Now I need to buy a WR to put these on
If you spend over $500 they will ship to the U.S. for free but only 1 address. Then you'd have to pay extra to ship to individual addresses.
shep546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:48 AM   #32133
bobbed06
Cavalera Conspirator

Oddometer: 1,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
I suppose you could drill the end but realistically, if you perpendicular cut like 1mm of the plastic off the end, the hollow core is exposed. I think drilling would be a lot more time consuming. My post was just designed to communicate that it's probably not necessary to replace the throttle tube even though the PO cut it way shorter than need be.
Sorry I didnt read too much into the previous posts before I posted. Thanks for posting a link KansasBob

Yes drilling is more time consuming, and cutting it minimally is an option. but I have gorilla mitts and I need the extra width or my hands get jammed in between the hand guard or I have the outside of my palm hanging off the grip. Just sharing a tip I guess for the fellow Gorillas

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1009935
bobbed06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:56 AM   #32134
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,547
Quote:
My throttle tube is like 1/2" to 1" shorter than the grip. The previous owner chopped it short to mount cheap barkbusters. When I replaced the bars and the barkbusters with better stuff I found it. Surprisingly, the shorter plastic under the grip doesn't cause any sort of control issues,comfort issues, nor is it visible (the grip diameter is the same and doesn't taper down where there is no throttle tube under). I would (and have) just mount up a new grip over top of the shorter throttle tube and let the end of the grip hang off the short end of the throttle tube.
Wise man. As long as the grip doesn't contact your hand guards it should all work smoothly.
AZ TOM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:07 AM   #32135
ba_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by KansasBob View Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ 9 bucks shipped

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motion-Pro-Y...1d3e67&vxp=mtr

Ooh fancy :) Thanks!
Old 12-30-2012, 11:17 AM   #32136
livetofly
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaiDee View Post
My Q4 is getting louder than I like and I need some advice.

I've read a number of threads on the different R2 sites and couldn't come up with an answer that everyone seems to agree with. The question seems like it should be easy enough to answer, but..... what is the part number for the CORRECT FMF Q4 muffler repacking material?

The venerable and always correct HighFive says one thing (FMF 4-stroke performance packing #0113940), while mwakey and others seem to say something else. What does the conventional wisdom say today?

Sorry if this is a redundant question, but I searched and couldn't find a recent definitive answer in either this thread or others.

Many thanks for any advice you can give!

-JD
I have the same question as before, does anyone know which is the correct part # for the FMF repacking kit for the Q4? I emailed FMF to ask them but they said I need the part number on the muffler. When I looked at mine I couldn't find a part number on it. If no one knows then I'll just try the Moose Racing kit that seems to fit, but it's ~ $30 and I would prefer the correct FMF packing. Also, is it supposed to be the 'sheet' type packing or will the stuff that is just sold in a bag work?
Pura Vida !
livetofly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:06 PM   #32137
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,816
Quote:
My throttle tube is like 1/2" to 1" shorter than the grip. The previous owner chopped it short to mount cheap barkbusters. When I replaced the bars and the barkbusters with better stuff I found it. Surprisingly, the shorter plastic under the grip doesn't cause any sort of control issues,comfort issues, nor is it visible (the grip diameter is the same and doesn't taper down where there is no throttle tube under). I would (and have) just mount up a new grip over top of the shorter throttle tube and let the end of the grip hang off the short end of the throttle tube.
I would not advise having the throttle tube shorter than the grip...it could lead to a sticking throttle..which is obviously a dangerous situation. ..I had a sticking issue I posted about a while ago ....and that was exactly what it turned out to be. That sticking put me into at lead one tree.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
DougZ73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:11 PM   #32138
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
I would not advise having the throttle tube shorter than the grip...it could lead to a sticking throttle..which is obviously a dangerous situation. ..I had a sticking issue I posted about a while ago ....and that was exactly what it turned out yo be. That sticking put me into at leadt one tree.

I can see how this might be a concern, but I've never had an issue. The spring that returns the throttle to the default position should be wayyyy stronger than whatever minor friction might develop between the bar and the bit of grip in contact with the bar.

I think if you were having sticky throttle issues it was more than just that.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:54 PM   #32139
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot

Oddometer: 2,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by KansasBob View Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ 9 bucks shipped

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motion-Pro-Y...1d3e67&vxp=mtr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ba_ View Post
Ooh fancy :) Thanks!
+1 on the Motion Pro throttle tube. I just put one on my XR250R. Fits perfect and the pop-out end cap means no drilling or cutting. The PO must have let his dog chew the end of the throttle tube and grip off so he could install some crappy plastic handguards. The throttle was about an inch shorter than stock and seriously mangled.

Just to keep it on topic, I used a Unibit to drill out the end of the throttle tube on my new-to-me WR250R. It took about 30 seconds (because I was taking my time and doing it carefully) and didn't shorten the tube at all.
cjbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:50 PM   #32140
pfy50
Professional nOOb

Oddometer: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by livetofly View Post
I have the same question as before, does anyone know which is the correct part # for the FMF repacking kit for the Q4? I emailed FMF to ask them but they said I need the part number on the muffler. When I looked at mine I couldn't find a part number on it. If no one knows then I'll just try the Moose Racing kit that seems to fit, but it's ~ $30 and I would prefer the correct FMF packing. Also, is it supposed to be the 'sheet' type packing or will the stuff that is just sold in a bag work?
Yes livetofly,
It has been addressed in HF's article on his website http://www.wrrdualsport.com/tech-guide/exhaust/112-repacking-fmf-q4
Read the last paragraph(under Update:) to see the correct FMF part number is 011393. Here is the link to FMF http://www.fmfracing.com/Products/MX/601 . Let us know how it works.
pfy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:38 PM   #32141
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Quote:
I can see how this might be a concern, but I've never had an issue. The spring that returns the throttle to the default position should be wayyyy stronger than whatever minor friction might develop between the bar and the bit of grip in contact with the bar.

I think if you were having sticky throttle issues it was more than just that.
Well, being that once I cut off the end of the grip, that stuck past the throttle tube, the sticking issue was no longer there, I am pretty sure that is what it was.

The type riding I do, a sticking throttle is a big concern, so I would personally never recommend anyone to do anything, that might cause a potential sticking throttle...but that is just me.
Old 12-30-2012, 04:13 PM   #32142
KansasBob
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbiker View Post
Just to keep it on topic, I used a Unibit to drill out the end of the throttle tube on my new-to-me WR250R. It took about 30 seconds (because I was taking my time and doing it carefully) and didn't shorten the tube at all.
+1 on the uni-bit. Harbor Freight is your friend there

http://www.harborfreight.com/2-piece...lls-96275.html

KansasBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 04:24 PM   #32143
Crawdaddy
Navigate 2 Adventure

Oddometer: 2,205
Looks like I'll be parting out my WR......GPR, IMS tank, Warp 9 wheel set, FMF programmer, Speedo Healer, Seat Concepts seat, etc.....plus all the stock "stuff".....more details in following weeks....enjoyed the WR but time to move on......I'm probably picking up another Orange bike.....I can plate a 2013 450 XCW in AZ.......shitload of $ but you only live once.....
http://www.WhereAmIRiding.com

Crawdaddy screwed with this post 12-30-2012 at 04:35 PM
Crawdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 04:40 PM   #32144
what broke now
Petroleum Brother

Oddometer: 1,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
Well, being that once I cut off the end of the grip, that stuck past the throttle tube, the sticking issue was no longer there, I am pretty sure that is what it was.

The type riding I do, a sticking throttle is a big concern, so I would personally never recommend anyone to do anything, that might cause a potential sticking throttle...but that is just me.
My throttle was sticking off and on, and today I rolled back the end of the grip and discovered that the tube end was broken 90% off and was acting like a brake. Once the piece was removed it worked fine. The damage was not visible prior to rolling the tube back.
what broke now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:08 PM   #32145
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdaddy View Post
Looks like I'll be parting out my WR......GPR, IMS tank, Warp 9 wheel set, FMF programmer, Speedo Healer, Seat Concepts seat, etc.....plus all the stock "stuff".....more details in following weeks....enjoyed the WR but time to move on......I'm probably picking up another Orange bike.....I can plate a 2013 450 XCW in AZ.......shitload of $ but you only live once.....
How much for wheel set???