ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2013, 07:20 AM   #32461
pfy50
Professional nOOb
 
pfy50's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Oneida, Tenn.
Oddometer: 577
Almost Ready....BUT

It's almost ready for my trip(ref:#31820,31923), extra fuel capacity includes Safari tank, newer 1.75 rotopax and 8L. fuel bladder. BUT I am having an issue with the current tire. I just put on a new Kenda 270 on the front and I am getting a slight pogo/bouncing action in the front suspension at around 28-35mph more so when I am slowing down from a higher speed than when accelerating up through that range. I have eliminated some of it by uping the rebound setting, but have not eliminated it. Has anyone here have a similar problem?


__________________
My Odyssey: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=566875
2013 TEX XC,2011 WR250R,2004 KAWA Concours,1994 BMW K1100RS
May the Lord bless you and keep you in all the Dark places you must travel
pfy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:32 AM   #32462
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot
 
cjbiker's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Southern Maine
Oddometer: 2,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfy50 View Post
...BUT I am having an issue with the current tire. I just put on a new Kenda 270 on the front and I am getting a slight pogo/bouncing action in the front suspension at around 28-35mph more so when I am slowing down from a higher speed than when accelerating up through that range. I have eliminated some of it by uping the rebound setting, but have not eliminated it. Has anyone here have a similar problem?
Have you balanced the front tire? Looks like there's a rim lock on there, but I don't see any balance weights. That would make it bounce for sure.
cjbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:06 AM   #32463
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Fairbanks, AK
Oddometer: 2,938
How evenly are those front bags loaded, and how heavy are they? Are you sure you have enough gas?
__________________
"We wish your trail a long one" - Darlene "Sid" Dowd ~ Never run out of traction, ideas, and real estate at the same time.
2008 Yamaha WR250X
Eastern TAT 8/2009 ~MD-Key West-Oklahoma 4/2011~Maryland to Alaska 3/2012
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:22 AM   #32464
avgas
amateur
 
avgas's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Oregon
Oddometer: 81
I've gotten some bouncing around those speeds with a rimlock until I balanced it. I did a pretty crude balancing at home and it 95% solved the problem.
__________________
2012 Yamaha WR250R
avgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:00 AM   #32465
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly
 
MeefZah's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: New Philadelphia, Ohio
Oddometer: 10,911
Is the engine case, specifically the stator side, aluminum or magnesium?

I holed mine today, punched the shifter right through it. If aluminum, I can get a guy to weld it up... if not aluminum I guess I'll be buying a new one.

If I can weld it up, should I leave it on the bike to keep from warping it, or pull it off?
__________________
"A man turns his back on the comforts of home, and when the dust all settles and the story is told, history is made by the side of the road..." - DBT

MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:32 AM   #32466
sieg
Beastly Adventurer
 
sieg's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Southern Illinois USA
Oddometer: 2,824
Aluminum, take it off it won't warp.
__________________
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" Ben Franklin

Current bikes F800GS-EXCF350-Versys-690R-RZ350
sieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:54 AM   #32467
ba_
Beastly Adventurer
 
ba_'s Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Westchester County, New York
Oddometer: 2,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadx View Post
Alrighty. So even though my overall bar height is only 1.5" taller than stock and the protapers are only .5" wider than stock, I don't have enough throttle cable length to position the throttle housing in it's stock orientation. I tried rerouting the cables outside of the fairing, but that didn't gain me any length and exposed them too much, so I ended up rotating the throttle tube and housing 180 degrees upside down. Clearance is now good and function is good. Are there any issues with doing this? I do see that there is a small hole (drainage hole?) in the housing that is now pointed straight up rather than straight down. Nothing a dab of silicon coudn't fix if rain and water could be an issue.

I know a few have raised the stock bars 2" and said cable clearance was fine with, I assume, the throttle in the stock orientation. I'm just not seeing that as possible with my setup, even though I've only netted 1.5" of additional rise. So, short of getting two new longer throttle cables, this seems to be the only option.

Here is a pic with 180 degree rotation (throttle cables coming off of the bottom of the throttle housing rather than top). Note this is taken from a low angle so that is why the starter/kill switch housing looks to be angled so high.
Chad are you still running your throttle tube and housing 180 degrees upside down? I'm just completing my HDB install and I don't have enough slack in the throttle cables with the housing in the stock position.

Thanks
__________________
'09 Triumph Bonneville 50th Anniversary, '14 KTM 690 Enduro R
ba_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:56 AM   #32468
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly
 
MeefZah's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: New Philadelphia, Ohio
Oddometer: 10,911
Quote:
Originally Posted by sieg View Post
Aluminum, take it off it won't warp.
I'm gonna trust ya on this!

Thanks...
__________________
"A man turns his back on the comforts of home, and when the dust all settles and the story is told, history is made by the side of the road..." - DBT

MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:35 PM   #32469
pfy50
Professional nOOb
 
pfy50's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Oneida, Tenn.
Oddometer: 577
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbiker View Post
Have you balanced the front tire? Looks like there's a rim lock on there, but I don't see any balance weights. That would make it bounce for sure.
Yes, cjbiker the front is computer spin balanced with no rim lock just a larger alum. air valve cap is what you probably see.


Quote:
Originally Posted by skierd View Post
How evenly are those front bags loaded, and how heavy are they? Are you sure you have enough gas?
skierd, those bags up front are only light clothing about 2 lbs per side and were there when I had the previous OEM trailwing on it with no problem. This problem only showed up after I mounted the new Kenda 270 which is the first time I have used one, and was wondering if anyone who has used them before ever ran into this problem.
As for the fuel storage I may drop the rotopax before the trip; I'm still in the pre-trip testing stage for full up load.
__________________
My Odyssey: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=566875
2013 TEX XC,2011 WR250R,2004 KAWA Concours,1994 BMW K1100RS
May the Lord bless you and keep you in all the Dark places you must travel

pfy50 screwed with this post 01-12-2013 at 02:41 PM
pfy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:40 PM   #32470
sieg
Beastly Adventurer
 
sieg's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Southern Illinois USA
Oddometer: 2,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
I'm gonna trust ya on this!

Thanks...
You're wecome.
__________________
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" Ben Franklin

Current bikes F800GS-EXCF350-Versys-690R-RZ350
sieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:58 PM   #32471
ArmyJoe
Beastly Adventurer
 
ArmyJoe's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Columbus, OH
Oddometer: 1,200
I just noticed that justgastanks.com is a bit of a misnomer. In addition to the obvious, they also have Wolfman gear, Seat Concepts seats, and Rotopax gas cans. Another plus is they offer 5% off to Advriders.

I have a stock bike in desperate need of attention. Are there any other places with one-stop shopping for touring farkles?
__________________
2009 Can-Am Spyder RS, 2008 Yamaha WR250R

My latest adventures detailed at ArmyJoe's Perpetual Picture Thread:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=888783
ArmyJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:38 PM   #32472
japako
Studly Adventurer
 
japako's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: North Texas
Oddometer: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfy50 View Post
Yes, cjbiker the front is computer spin balanced with no rim lock just a larger alum. air valve cap is what you probably see.



skierd, those bags up front are only light clothing about 2 lbs per side and were there when I had the previous OEM trailwing on it with no problem. This problem only showed up after I mounted the new Kenda 270 which is the first time I have used one, and was wondering if anyone who has used them before ever ran into this problem.
As for the fuel storage I may drop the rotopax before the trip; I'm still in the pre-trip testing stage for full up load.

Just for the heck of it, can you jack up the bike until the front wheel is off the ground?. If you can, make sure the brake is not dragging and spin the wheel. If it stops at the same place after a few times, it is more than likely the wheel is out of balance.

I don't trust spin balances, as they need to be calibrated and they can be off. Also not many shops think that knobbies need to be balanced.

This is not a perfect way, but it will show an out of balance wheel.
japako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:49 PM   #32473
GAS GUY
MILE EATER
 
GAS GUY's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Garden City, Michigan
Oddometer: 3,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by japako View Post
Just for the heck of it, can you jack up the bike until the front wheel is off the ground?. If you can, make sure the brake is not dragging and spin the wheel. If it stops at the same place after a few times, it is more than likely the wheel is out of balance.

I don't trust spin balances, as they need to be calibrated and they can be off. Also not many shops think that knobbies need to be balanced.

This is not a perfect way, but it will show an out of balance wheel.
Don't actually spin the tire, just lightly move it to various spots every 45 degrees or so and see if it stays or keeps rolling to a certain area.
__________________
2008 KLR 705-2004 ST1300-2001 FZ1
2001 GAS GAS 321
IBA # 23,716
http://gasguysadventures.blogspot.com/
GAS GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:05 PM   #32474
swimmer
armchair asshole
 
swimmer's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: tucson
Oddometer: 4,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyJoe View Post
I just noticed that justgastanks.com is a bit of a misnomer. In addition to the obvious, they also have Wolfman gear, Seat Concepts seats, and Rotopax gas cans. Another plus is they offer 5% off to Advriders.

I have a stock bike in desperate need of attention. Are there any other places with one-stop shopping for touring farkles?
dualsportarmory.com has about the best listed prices I have found plus they also give 5% adv discount. Look for their thread in the vendors section.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:39 PM   #32475
Scharcon
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Corona Ca
Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ba_ View Post
Chad are you still running your throttle tube and housing 180 degrees upside down? I'm just completing my HDB install and I don't have enough slack in the throttle cables with the housing in the stock position.

Thanks
I have the HDB setup and am running throttle cables upside down with no issues. Also agree with Chadx with the 1-1/2" max. No way could I have gone the 2" with stock cable even upside down.
Scharcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015