Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2013, 04:49 PM   #32566
bigdon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,553
IMO Kinda 270's SUCK !

Life is to short to run suckey tires

Don't stop riding until you get to the crash , you might save it!
bigdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:32 PM   #32567
iWander
Adventure Geek

Oddometer: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightZone View Post
>"I switched out my OEM deathwing 301 for a Kenda 270 . I am now getting a pogo/bounce action when I get in the 30-40mph range."

If changing the tire is all you did to introduce the bounce, I'd replace the Kenda 270. Some tires have a heavy spot, mislaid belts, or whatever, so it may be a bad tire.

I like these IRC GP1 for a dualsport tire.

http://motorcycle.chaparral-racing.com/search?w=IRC%20GP1

I run the 'lightweight' rim locks, Wheels are stable... well as fast as I want to push the WR250 anyway.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/43/-/171/726/-/26096/Motion-Pro-LiteLoc-Rim-Lock-/rim+locks
I put GP1 tires on both of my DR650s and a KLR250. Fantastic tire for both road and trail. I'll be trying them on the R2 as soon as I wear out the Kendas.

Something else I've found that works well are Dyna Beads. Over the years I've used lead, Slime, Ride-On, and now Dyna Beads. I was pretty skeptical about the beads, but I spent a weekend running tests with the same tire/rim combo and there was no more room for doubt. Way out of wack with no compensation, decent with lead, smooth as glass with both Ride-On and Dyna Beads.
iWander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:00 PM   #32568
idc22
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Has anyone replaced the radiator shroud, on the right side? Wondering if you need to order the two pieces and the plastic rivets? I am struggling to see the rivets in the parts fiche.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
idc22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:47 PM   #32569
scottmac
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,561
Force Radiator Guards

http://www.forceaccessories.com.au/s...d&productId=58
scottmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:08 PM   #32570
idc22
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Not looking for brace or guard, the plastic shroud itself got damaged and I need to replace it.

idc22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:18 PM   #32571
pfy50
Professional nOOb

Oddometer: 479
Tire Problems

TNX for the recommendation on tires guys. I have one more check to do tomorrow to see if it is "out of round", if it is I will probably leave it on for now and just do some winter trail riding. I have a fairly new 606 on the rear. Possibly the high spot will get worn in a little while I do load testing in anticipation of my summer trip. I only payed $46.00 for the Kenda 270 so it isn't worth taking it off and returning it to Rocky Mountain MC. I already have a TKC 80 or Shinko 700 to replace it with in the spring before I leave for my trip to AK./Yukon and I have a set of Warp 9 wheels I'll use for that trip.
ps. Isn't a IRC GP1 a copy of the Kenda 270?
kenda 270
IRC GP1

pfy50 screwed with this post 01-18-2013 at 10:31 PM
pfy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:41 PM   #32572
theMISSIONARY
hunting and riding!!

Oddometer: 2,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by idc22 View Post
Has anyone replaced the radiator shroud, on the right side? Wondering if you need to order the two pieces and the plastic rivets? I am struggling to see the rivets in the parts fiche.

i would say its sold as one Part two sides with rivets.

I put a Flatlands racing guard on mine,it touches the big IMS tank lightly so i had to put some rubber between the two

WR250r of Awesomeness.......now with extra added Awesomeness!
theMISSIONARY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:43 PM   #32573
matt33
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by iWander View Post
I put GP1 tires on both of my DR650s and a KLR250. Fantastic tire for both road and trail. I'll be trying them on the R2 as soon as I wear out the Kendas.

Something else I've found that works well are Dyna Beads. Over the years I've used lead, Slime, Ride-On, and now Dyna Beads. I was pretty skeptical about the beads, but I spent a weekend running tests with the same tire/rim combo and there was no more room for doubt. Way out of wack with no compensation, decent with lead, smooth as glass with both Ride-On and Dyna Beads.
I recently had Pirelli Scorpion Pro Enduro f/r on my new WRR. The Pirelli's are pretty much as aggressive as you can get and still be DOT approved. Instead of traditional balancing, I had approx 3 oz of beads installed along with "Lite-lock" rimlocks. I've only had her up to 70 MPH, but the new tires at 15 PSI feel pretty much as smooth as the OEM Trailwings.
matt33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:11 AM   #32574
YZEtc
Feel lucky?

Oddometer: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfy50 View Post
ps. Isn't a IRC GP1 a copy of the Kenda 270?
If anything, the Kenda K270 is a copy of the IRC GP1.
A cheap copy.

I was using IRC GP1s on my 1990 Yamaha DT-200R back in the day, and they were/are awesome tires for smooth running on the street with casual off-road use, and that's the reason I mounded the IRCs for a trip up to Mt. Washington from CT. back then.
The wheels were balanced after the tires were mounted (with an old-fashioned static balancer), and the bike was as smooth as glass for the trip up and back.

Myself, I'd recheck the balancing job with another wheel balancer.
You may be surprised.
YZEtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:39 AM   #32575
eemsreno
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 905
First post on this thread, but I have been reading on it a lot.
You guys are busy on here.
Just picked this up.
eemsreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:49 AM   #32576
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 8,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by YZEtc View Post
A cheap copy.

I was using IRC GP1s on my 1990 Yamaha DT-200R back in the day, and they were/are awesome tires for smooth running on the street with casual off-road use, and that's the reason I mounded the IRCs for a trip up to Mt. Washington from CT. back then.
The wheels were balanced after the tires were mounted (with an old-fashioned static balancer), and the bike was as smooth as glass for the trip up and back.

You may be surprised.

Actually the Kenda is a "copy" of the old Yokohama, which was run as OEM on a bunch of 70s Honda dual sports. I was running the Yokohamas on my trials bike around 1983. I'm thinking Kenda may have bought the Yokohama tooling when they quit doing bike tires. Shinko got some of the tooling too.

Personally I've had great success with the Duro HF903/904, but I don't know if they're available in the correct rear size.

I have always wondered about the GP110 myself. But the Duros have done so well both on and off road, that with the price they are, I just won't change. Oh, I run them on a 650, was just nosing around in this thread.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:56 AM   #32577
pfy50
Professional nOOb

Quote:
Originally Posted by YZEtc View Post
A cheap copy.

You may be surprised.
Yes,YZEtc you may be correct about the order. The Kenda 270's seem to run $5-7 cheaper than the IRC GP1's and I was just looking for an inexpensive trail and hard surface general tire. What type of mileage did you get out of your GP1s, and what pressure did you run it at off- Hard surface?
Old 01-19-2013, 06:59 AM   #32578
pfy50
Professional nOOb

Quote:
Originally Posted by markk53 View Post
Actually the Kenda is a "copy" of the old Yokohama, which was run as OEM on a bunch of 70s Honda dual sports. I was running the Yokohamas on my trials bike around 1983. I'm thinking Kenda may have bought the Yokohama tooling when they quit doing bike tires. Shinko got some of the tooling too.

Personally I've had great success with the Duro HF903/904, but I don't know if they're available in the correct rear size.

I have always wondered about the GP110 myself. But the Duros have done so well both on and off road, that with the price they are, I just won't change. Oh, I run them on a 650, was just nosing around in this thread.
Hello Mark,

Thanks for the clarification, I believe I have seen your avatar on some RR's and 650 forums
ps the Motorcycle-superstore still sells them: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ront-Tire.aspx
Old 01-19-2013, 07:26 AM   #32579
shep546
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by eemsreno View Post
First post on this thread, but I have been reading on it a lot.
You guys are busy on here.
Just picked this up.

Welcome... bike looks great... any farkles you plan on getting?
shep546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:21 AM   #32580
YZEtc
Feel lucky?

Oddometer: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfy50 View Post
Yes,YZEtc you may be correct about the order. The Kenda 270's seem to run $5-7 cheaper than the IRC GP1's and I was just looking for an inexpensive trail and hard surface general tire. What type of mileage did you get out of your GP1s, and what pressure did you run it at off- Hard surface?
I can't remember how long they lasted, but I don't recall any memories of thinking they wore out too fast.
I did buy them for street-biased use, and they were excellent for that.

I do remember the GP1s having thin construction compared to an off-road knobby or even the stock Bridgestone tires from a WR-250R, so they're probably not the best to prevent pinch flats in rocky terrain.

For dual-purpose off-road use, I typically compromise at 18 psi.
YZEtc is offline   Reply With Quote