Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2013, 08:58 PM   #32596
Bgunn
Mucha distancia

Oddometer: 1,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by bash3r View Post
Actually he brought both is KTM 450 and WR250R.. but I got a msg from him saying he thinks he's riding the WR so he doesn't have to worry :)

He was having a tough time picking one. Last I heard he was taking the Ktm.

Nice to have choices..

Had my WR to Baja plenty times, always makes it back. Did change out the fuel pump before the last trip.
Bgunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:56 AM   #32597
eemsreno
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 876
First real ride on the new WR250R

Finally got a chance to put some miles on it yesterday. Quite happy with everything so far. I find that you really got to ride it hard to go fast but it is plenty fast when ridden hard. It handles very quick especially in first gear, It will just dart all over where ever you point it. I do really like it and it is fun, I probably won’t get to ride it as much as I should because I also have a BIG XT, the 1200, And that bike is just addictive to ride. The best bike I have ever ridden! Steve
eemsreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:45 AM   #32598
pfy50
Professional nOOb

Oddometer: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by eemsreno View Post
I also have a BIG XT, the 1200, And that bike is just addictive to ride. The best bike I have ever ridden! Steve
Just because it is big & BLUE and says Yamaha, you can't keep sneaking over to the DARKside It's just bad juju.
pfy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:09 AM   #32599
jwdub
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 555
UtahFox,

I just bought an unused TR 280 Kit with the liner already installed in a spare cylinder from a fellow in Kansas (from the WR250R forum). I should have it by the end of next week. It may take awhile to get started on the installation though since I'm in AZ for the winter and the bike is in WA. I'll follow up when the time comes.
jwdub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:15 AM   #32600
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by eemsreno View Post
Finally got a chance to put some miles on it yesterday. Quite happy with everything so far. I find that you really got to ride it hard to go fast but it is plenty fast when ridden hard. It handles very quick especially in first gear, It will just dart all over where ever you point it. I do really like it and it is fun, I probably won’t get to ride it as much as I should because I also have a BIG XT, the 1200, And that bike is just addictive to ride. The best bike I have ever ridden! Steve
I love my WRR, I only sorta like my Tenere. Maybe not even that much.

The WRR is a ruthlessly efficient, yet fun bike that does it all.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:44 AM   #32601
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 7,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
I love my WRR, I only sorta like my Tenere. Maybe not even that much.

The WRR is a ruthlessly efficient, yet fun bike that does it all.

Something good about simplicity...

I'm looking at selling off the street bike to finish the supermoto rims to have a set of roll in SM wheels with street tires for that use while still having the dual sport shod wheel set.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:20 PM   #32602
krussell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by markk53 View Post
Something good about simplicity...

I'm looking at selling off the street bike to finish the supermoto rims to have a set of roll in SM wheels with street tires for that use while still having the dual sport shod wheel set.
I'm very likely headed down the same path. I really enjoy the WRR, SM wheels and street rubber would be a hoot.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:36 PM   #32603
Mr.Black999
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
Looking for springs

Hi everyone. It feels like I have been looking for the answer to this for awhile but does anyone know what other bikes have the same fork and shock springs for the WR250X? I'm trying to find something from Eibach or another brand that I can find locally. Thanks a lot everyone.
Mr.Black999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:30 PM   #32604
henrymartin
Mr. Tourguide

Oddometer: 3,373
It was actually above freezing this weekend (not for long though), so I made my way to the garage and started working on the WR250R.

The bike came to me pretty much stock, so there was a "need" to get some goodies (or, as I explained to my better half: "Honey, I do need that skidplate, you wouldn't want me to break the engine case and get stuck in the woods, would you?" )

A big thumbs up to SoloRacer for fair prices and speedy delivery. Also to Revzilla for the same.

I used SoloRacer for Flatland Racing skidplate and radiator guard, a license plate bracket, new tailight, and turn signals.
Revzilla got some business form me for a Wolfman Enduro bag (cheaper than Wolfman direct AND free shipping).

I started with the taillight and turn signals. That's where I had my 'idiot' moment. I took the parts to the living room, crimped and soldered all my connections, and then I found out that the mounting nuts won't slip over the connectors. Yeah, wasted time. But, with some pushing, pulling, and cussing, I was able to get the connectors apart again, and fixed the issue.

The next issue I had was with the license plate bracket. It was bent (at the factory, I assume), a little too much, and there was no way I could mount the license plate on it.

A couple of decent whacks with a hammer and a wooden block got it where it needed to be.

The front turn signals were easy
Next I tackled the radiator guard. It is a solid little piece, well made, but it could have been engineered a little better. I'm not sure that I'll keep it. It is rugged, yet I feel it doesn't offer enough protection from behind and down at the bottom of the radiator. Also, I wish it would be a true wrap-around design. The way it mounts, it leaves a little bit of the radiator closest to frame exposed. At that location, I'm not worried about rocks, but a small branch could easily get to the core if it came at the right angle.
Mounting this was easy, except at the end when I struggled to attach the side plastics back. There just isn't enough room. I managed to reuse stock bolts, but I had to push my allen wrench through the slots in the guard to tighten them.

The skidplate was the easiest to mount. It is very rugged, well engineered with ample protection, and the bends and welds are of great quality. Easy mounting with four provided bolts. I used a thick piece of rubber at four points were the skidplate ended up touching the frame - both to prevent vibration and protect the frame.

Finally, I attached my homemade rear rack.

The Enduro tankbag is a good fit, and suits the bike rather well. It doesn't interfere with my riding position at all.

Now I just have to wait for the snow to melt so I can hit some trails. The last thing on the list (for now) is a front sprocket cover and a case saver, but I didn't order those yet.

I love the way the tailsection cleaned up with the aftermarket lights and bracket.
henrymartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:34 PM   #32605
Daamud
AAAAAYYY!

Oddometer: 2,166
Double check the bottom bolts on that skid plate. Some are a little long, and come VERY close to the engine case. A good hit might bend and or push the bolt into the case.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:59 PM   #32606
japako
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
Nice job on the bike. I really like the rack.

@daamud, thanks for the time on the bash plate..
japako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:32 PM   #32607
Crawdaddy
Navigate 2 Adventure

Oddometer: 2,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverman View Post
First High Five, now Crawdaddy, and BigDog still has the WR but has purchased another bike as well !! Hmmmmm!

Enjoy boys, its all good! Thanks for all your contributions to this site and for answering many PM's from ADV'ers regarding the WR.
350XCF-W is now trail tested/broken in: http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....&postcount=172

As stated before, and in the link above, the WR would STILL be my first choice if my personal mission statement was "ADV Traveler".....
http://www.WhereAmIRiding.com
Crawdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:45 PM   #32608
henrymartin
Mr. Tourguide

Oddometer: 3,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daamud View Post
Double check the bottom bolts on that skid plate. Some are a little long, and come VERY close to the engine case. A good hit might bend and or push the bolt into the case.
Thanks, will do. The plate came with allen head bolt, which I do not care for in impact areas. One nick and I'll never get the wrench in there, so I'll be switching to some stainless hex or torx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by japako View Post
Nice job on the bike. I really like the rack.
Thanks. I wanted to have something that wasn't too big, yet large enough to strap a duffel bag on. If anyone wants to, I can trace the rack and send you a template.

I'm still thinking about cutting a few holes in it, but I'm waiting to see if I'll end up with a Rotopax first. If I do, the holes will be done after attaching the mount.
henrymartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:47 PM   #32609
mototifosi
what does this one do?

Oddometer: 493
Indeed it is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by krussell View Post
I'm very likely headed down the same path. I really enjoy the WRR, SM wheels and street rubber would be a hoot.
I have been very fortunate in my riding endeavors to have been able to cycle (pun intended) 25+ horses through the stable at one time or another. Started doing Moto X and desert events. Moved to street and many track days with sport bikes (Duc's, CBR's, Nortons) then big Dualies' (GS's, Tigers, LC4's, 530) etc... This damn WR-X is the most friggen fun out of all of them. In "retard" trim it does twisties, gravel and dirt roads, moto x tracks, hard pack, etc... as long as the dirt isn't to deep (tires plow) it will do it, and do it well. Get the suspenders set up correctly, do the smog surgery, gear it, maxxis rain tires = grins.

Going to mount the Warp 9's this week and try Hollister. Actually for 80% of HH the retard set up would work just fine...

This bike is a hoot, but you guys knew that...
mototifosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:50 AM   #32610
bash3r
I ain't no DingWeed

Oddometer: 1,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverman View Post
First High Five, now Crawdaddy, and BigDog still has the WR but has purchased another bike as well !! Hmmmmm!

Enjoy boys, its all good! Thanks for all your congtributions to this site and for answering many PM's from ADV'ers regarding the WR.
As life changes so does bike needs for some folks... so it's all good. Neither High Five nor Crawdaddy switched bikes because the WR had issues(well we know Crawdaddy's story heheh )... just different bike for how they wanna ride these days. BigDog's retired so thats a different story.. lol

I lust daily over different bikes.. not gonna sell my WR... but that Tenere XT660Z needs to come to the states!! If that thing comes over the Versys is gone and Tenere in ....

ADV Gear | 3 Step Hideaway |Campground POIs
bash3r is offline   Reply With Quote