Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2013, 06:48 AM   #32926
z@ch
Turn it up to eleven

Oddometer: 4,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by avgas View Post
I was afraid I'd get that answer, $500 sure is a lot. It is probably the answer I'm looking for though...
You don't need a stabilizer.

When you ride in the sand:

1. Stand up. It lowers the center of gravity and stabilizes the bike.
2. Stay on the gas. It shifts the weight to the rear and allows the front to "float" across the sand.
3. Steer with the pegs. In deep sand, shifting weight to the right peg with help you steer to the right and vice versa.

Comfort comes with experience. True knobbies don't hurt either.
z@ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:55 AM   #32927
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 9,037
stabilizers

...I have a Scott's on my WR, glad I do and I'll tell you why.
Being a senior rider I don't have the strength nor the reaction I did 20 years ago. A stabilizer makes the bike more forgiving and the mistakes more forgiving and less jolting to the old bones.
Having the suspension done is the biggest aid though.
Considering $500...spend it on the suspenders, then think about stabilizers later...

There's alot to be said about sand riding technique. It's easier to say than to do.
I grew up in the desert riding sand whoops, and never did get it right.
It's even harder now.
The stabilizer is my friend. ;)

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:00 AM   #32928
jerrybiker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggemelos View Post
After thinking about this bike for over a year, I finally took delivery of a new 2012 WR250R. It is a bit cold and snowy in New York, but the short rides I have done on the bike left me with a giant grin on my face. My hopes are to start modifying the bike for a trip down to South America in a year of so. In the mean time I plan on exploring the dirt roads on the East Cost, just moved here from the San Francisco Bay Area.

One question I had was regarding tank options. I am trying to decide between the Safari and IMS 4.7 tanks. I like the idea of the larger 4.7 tank, it would make it less likely to have to carry spare full on the rear rack, but I have not seen many reviews on the IMS 4.7 in the thread. A lot of people have the Safari with good feedback, but few IMS 4.7 tanks. Any issues to be aware of with the IMS 4.7 tank, does it fit with the Flatland radiator guard? Any feedback advice of feedback to help me choose between the IMS and Safari is greatly appreciated.

Here is a pick of the new ride. So far I have added Cycra probend hand guards, sandman case saver, and a Pro Moto rear rack.

Nice bike. I'm looking to get a new 2013. I rode a friend's 04 & it was sweet ride. I want to make a RR to AK.
jerrybiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:48 AM   #32929
SkidMarx
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by z@ch View Post
You don't need a stabilizer.

When you ride in the sand:

1. Stand up. It lowers the center of gravity and stabilizes the bike.
2. Stay on the gas. It shifts the weight to the rear and allows the front to "float" across the sand.
3. Steer with the pegs. In deep sand, shifting weight to the right peg with help you steer to the right and vice versa.

Comfort comes with experience. True knobbies don't hurt either.
4. Air down. 13-15 psi works pretty well in mixes terrain. Less if sand only.
SkidMarx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:50 AM   #32930
simmons1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrybiker View Post
Nice bike. I'm looking to get a new 2013. I rode a friend's 04 & it was sweet ride. I want to make a RR to AK.
The WRR has only been around since 08 the 04 you rode is a completely different animal WRF.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:25 AM   #32931
ET-VT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by z@ch View Post
Stand up. It lowers the center of gravity and stabilizes the bike.
I know this gets repeated all the time, even in well-reviewed riding books and videos, but it isn't correct. On the surface of the earth, center of gravity and center of mass are essentially the same. If you stand up, where does your center of mass move? Up, not down.

It's probably fair to say that standing up lowers where your weight is carried by the bike without offending any physicists. I'm sure I don't have all of my terminology right, but I believe you really want to say that standing on the pegs increases the moment of inertia and stabilizes the bike.
ET-VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:37 AM   #32932
leftystrat62
Adventurer

Oddometer: 999
Quote:
One question I had was regarding tank options. I am trying to decide between the Safari and IMS 4.7 tanks. I like the idea of the larger 4.7 tank, it would make it less likely to have to carry spare full on the rear rack, but I have not seen many reviews on the IMS 4.7 in the thread. A lot of people have the Safari with good feedback, but few IMS 4.7 tanks. Any issues to be aware of with the IMS 4.7 tank, does it fit with the Flatland radiator guard? Any feedback advice of feedback to help me choose between the IMS and Safari is greatly appreciated.
I've got the 4.7 gal. on my 2010. Did need to do a little mod to the radiator guard so I'd be sure it wouldn't rub the big tank. Had a guy in town modify the bracket so the angle was different & shorter.Added a little black padded rubber for good measure. The (lousy) pic of the brass screw on the bottom of the tank wing got nailed,and I had to screw it in deeper so it would stop dripping-has been fine since(but that looked like a vulnerable point). I added some solid aluminum spacers with some #8 hardened bolts so I could fit the rotopax on the inside of rack-much nicer. Lastly had the flatlands skid plate modified after I sliced that radiator hose-something to consider. If I had to do it over,I'd still go with the 4.7 tank(about 250 mi).
I set this up for the TAT(riding it solo this yr) but also had S.Amer in mind when setting it up. That would be my dream trip.

[IMG] photo DSCN2103_zpse691791a.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG] photo DSCN2106_zpsf29cebc3.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG] photo DSCN2110_zps56dfd2ce.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG] photo DSCN2091_zps2227d622.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG] photo DSCN2107_zps82a45529.jpg[/IMG]

leftystrat62 screwed with this post 02-05-2013 at 08:54 AM
leftystrat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:43 AM   #32933
ggemelos
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
leftystrat62,
Thanks for the picks. I assume that is the 4.7. What have been you experience with the tank? Have you tried bending the tab on the radiator guard to give the tank more clearance?
Old 02-05-2013, 09:05 AM   #32934
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot

Oddometer: 2,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by ET-VT View Post
I know this gets repeated all the time, even in well-reviewed riding books and videos, but it isn't correct. On the surface of the earth, center of gravity and center of mass are essentially the same. If you stand up, where does your center of mass move? Up, not down.

It's probably fair to say that standing up lowers where your weight is carried by the bike without offending any physicists. I'm sure I don't have all of my terminology right, but I believe you really want to say that standing on the pegs increases the moment of inertia and stabilizes the bike.
I like this illustration from the book "Mountain Bike!: A Manual of Beginning to Advanced Technique" by William Nealy. It's about mountain bikes (obviously), but the concept is the same for motorcycles. Pics taken from here: http://kk.org/cooltools/archives/6144

cjbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:10 AM   #32935
oldtrucks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftystrat62 View Post
[IMG] photo DSCN2110_zps56dfd2ce.jpg[/IMG]
Lefty how far out did you move the left rack to mount the Rotopax onboard like that?
Old 02-05-2013, 09:52 AM   #32936
leftystrat62
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrucks View Post
Lefty how far out did you move the left rack to mount the Rotopax onboard like that?
I used 2 -5/8" spacers from hardware store. I've used it for a year and crashed on it many times-rack still holding up. This is actually why I did it in the first place.
[IMG] photo DSCN1377.jpg[/IMG]

Made a pvc tube to store my fuel bottle and siphon for my multi fuel stove. Decided for the tat to go with a canister stove-saves space & weight since I really only need to boil water. I know way too much crap-that was one of many shake down rides. I'm starting to look more trim
Old 02-05-2013, 09:52 AM   #32937
henrymartin
Mr. Tourguide

Oddometer: 3,300
After a few more stalls in the yard (the bike does not like to crawl for me), I caved in and ordered 14T front, 52T rear, and a new chain. I'll make a crawler out of her, and if the 14/52 won't do it, I'll dare to try 13/52

Then again, it could be the bike needs some tuning - with the snow I only have a couple of miles on it since I got it. I can't wait for spring to arrive.
henrymartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:59 AM   #32938
leftystrat62
Adventurer

Quote:
leftystrat62,
Thanks for the picks. I assume that is the 4.7. What have been you experience with the tank? Have you tried bending the tab on the radiator guard to give the tank more clearance?
Have had no issues with my 4.7 gal tank except that brass bolt getting struck and leaking fuel. I did read of others bending the rad. guard to fit,but I knew the guy in town welded aluminum so I felt I wanted to do it right-and now it can't rub the tank.
Have you got a list of things you're going to do to get the bike ready for South America,or are you just starting your research now? You should check out BigDogs web site on what he did with his WR and where he's taken it if you haven't already seen it.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:14 AM   #32939
Nice_Rumble
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,217
Quote:
A lot of people have the Safari with good feedback, but few IMS 4.7 tanks. Any feedback advice of feedback to help me choose between the IMS and Safari is greatly appreciated.
Don't think you'd really need anything bigger than the IMS 3.0. 180-195 miles is plenty. 3.0 retains the OEM shape without the supertanker feel. If you need anymore just pop a 1 gallon Rotopax onto a Wolfman side rack and your good for 240 miles.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/212396922304662/
Nice_Rumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:14 AM   #32940
GSBS
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,876
IMS 4.75-gallon tank...

...Very happy with mine, which was one of the very first made in spring of 2011.

Had one small leak at the brass fitting at bottom of one of the wings. Snugged it up with a wrench and no problems since. I have almost 10K miles on mine and don't look for fuel until 200 miles of riding.
GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote