Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2013, 10:21 AM   #32941
simmons1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice_Rumble View Post
Don't think you'd really need anything bigger than the IMS 3.0. 180-195 miles is plenty. 3.0 retains the OEM shape without the supertanker feel. If you need anymore just pop a 1 gallon Rotopax onto a Wolfman side rack and your good for 240 miles.
I would agree in most places in the country. If you live or ride in the Southwest, you can never have too much gas.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:30 AM   #32942
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot

Oddometer: 2,310
Quote:
Don't think you'd really need anything bigger than the IMS 3.0. 180-195 miles is plenty. 3.0 retains the OEM shape without the supertanker feel. If you need anymore just pop a 1 gallon Rotopax onto a Wolfman side rack and your good for 240 miles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by simmons1 View Post
I would agree in most places in the country. If you live or ride in the Southwest, you can never have too much gas.
I just ordered the IMS 3.0 after agonizing about this since I bought the bike last November. For 99% of my riding, the 3.0 will be fine, but I hope to get back out west in the next couple of years, and I hope to do some big loops that will need 200+ mile fuel range. I chose the 3.0 because of the negative comments regarding fuel slosh and the added width, plus the extra fuel pump is a little too "Rube Goldberg" for my tastes. I'll add a Rotopax or a cheap 2 gal plastic tank on the back for epic rides.
cjbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:25 AM   #32943
leftystrat62
Adventurer

Oddometer: 999
Quote:
I bought the bike with all the "typical" mods you read about on this thread as well the 290 Athena kit already installed;giving me an average of about 55 mpg so for me the 4.7 gal allowed me to go that 240 mi distance. Something to consider if you start mucking with your ride and get less gas milage. The idea of the rotopax for me is when I'm out riding by myself-I have a little more wiggle room in the event I get lost. I ride this thing full of fuel (with saddle bags all the time) in snotty woods here in New England and never considered"fuel slosh" or the added weight. I just made up my mind this was my set up and learned to ride it.
Don't forget the weight of the empty rotopax & bracket that you will carry as well as space needed if you decide on a smaller tank(assuming you need that amount of fuel)-I had considered that when I was deciding which tank to buy.

leftystrat62 screwed with this post 02-05-2013 at 11:42 AM
leftystrat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:38 AM   #32944
avgas
amateur

Oddometer: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by ET-VT View Post
I know this gets repeated all the time, even in well-reviewed riding books and videos, but it isn't correct. On the surface of the earth, center of gravity and center of mass are essentially the same. If you stand up, where does your center of mass move? Up, not down.

It's probably fair to say that standing up lowers where your weight is carried by the bike without offending any physicists. I'm sure I don't have all of my terminology right, but I believe you really want to say that standing on the pegs increases the moment of inertia and stabilizes the bike.
I did indeed get my degree in physics. Standing will increase your moment of inertia, although I'm guessing that the increase in stability has more to do with you being able to move your body around to balance and absorb impacts. I've never properly analyzed it though...

Anyway, I appreciate everyone's advice. I have been standing, and staying on the gas. I probably just need more practice.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:48 AM   #32945
ggemelos
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftystrat62 View Post
Have had no issues with my 4.7 gal tank except that brass bolt getting struck and leaking fuel. I did read of others bending the rad. guard to fit,but I knew the guy in town welded aluminum so I felt I wanted to do it right-and now it can't rub the tank.
Have you got a list of things you're going to do to get the bike ready for South America,or are you just starting your research now? You should check out BigDogs web site on what he did with his WR and where he's taken it if you haven't already seen it.
Thanks again for the information. I don't have a welder near by that I have used before, but I have a good vice and work bench. If I go with the 4.7, I will just have to play a bit with the vice. It worked for my Cycra hand guards, not a scratch on them, and they were thick.

Why the Safari or IMS 4.7? Because there are a lot of places I would like to take this bike that require a 200+ mile range. This is particularly true since one of my main reasons for picking up this bike was to take it on a long trip to South America. I would rather have as much fuel in the tank and less in canisters strapped high up on the back of the bike.

In terms of a current list and future mods, I am keeping one on my webpage. I have checked out Big Dog's setup, he has done some great rides. This is what I have so far, suggestions are appreciated:

Modifications:
  • Lowered approximately 1" using factory adjustment
  • Spiral seat
  • Cyrca Probend hand guards with triple clamp side mount
  • Sandman Freedom case saver - anodized blue
  • Pro Moto billet rear cargo rack
  • Flatland Racing skid plate
  • Flatland Racing radiator guard
Possible Future Modifications:
  • Seal savers
  • Safari or IMS 4.7 transparent tank (still have not decided)
  • Wolfman side rack with RotoPax mount system
  • Wolfman expedition dry saddle bags
  • Lynx fairing (this one is questionable)
  • Some sort of suspension upgrade (contemplating this for long trip)
Old 02-05-2013, 12:35 PM   #32946
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by avgas View Post
I was afraid I'd get that answer, $500 sure is a lot. It is probably the answer I'm looking for though...
Sand is easy, as Z@ch said, good tires, momentum, constant throttle, weighting the back wheel. I basically hang my ass as far back as I can get it over the rear fender, and go like stink.

Don't:

Don't:

Do:

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:44 PM   #32947
what broke now
Petroleum Brother

Oddometer: 1,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by avgas View Post
I did indeed get my degree in physics. Standing will increase your moment of inertia, although I'm guessing that the increase in stability has more to do with you being able to move your body around to balance and absorb impacts. I've never properly analyzed it though...

Anyway, I appreciate everyone's advice. I have been standing, and staying on the gas. I probably just need more practice.

Mr Avgas:

I have no aptitude for physics, but once ran across the notion that a standing bicycleist or moto rider created an "inverted Pendulum" and for that reason added stability and control to the process of riding. If this is correct, what is the process?

Did I just dream this?
what broke now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:59 PM   #32948
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 2,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggemelos View Post
Thanks again for the information. I don't have a welder near by that I have used before, but I have a good vice and work bench. If I go with the 4.7, I will just have to play a bit with the vice. It worked for my Cycra hand guards, not a scratch on them, and they were thick.

Why the Safari or IMS 4.7? Because there are a lot of places I would like to take this bike that require a 200+ mile range. This is particularly true since one of my main reasons for picking up this bike was to take it on a long trip to South America. I would rather have as much fuel in the tank and less in canisters strapped high up on the back of the bike.

In terms of a current list and future mods, I am keeping one on my webpage. I have checked out Big Dog's setup, he has done some great rides. This is what I have so far, suggestions are appreciated:

Modifications:
  • Spiral seat
  • Seal savers
Nice list of mods. Personally I'd skip the radiator guards, they made my bike overheat and the larger tank may be incompatible. Also if I were to do it over again, I'd go with the Highway Dirt Bikes handguards (and probably handlebars and top clamp at the same time).

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:11 PM   #32949
UtahFox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Quote:

Modifications:
  • Spiral seat
  • Seal savers
Seems to be a bunch of new WRR owners lately, to which you can add me. I sold my Tiger yesterday, and I just made an agreement to pick up a 2011 with 350 miles on it. I'll be following your progress in more ways than one, I'm also planning a few big rides including the Long Way Down.
UtahFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:25 PM   #32950
ggemelos
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahFox View Post
Seems to be a bunch of new WRR owners lately, to which you can add me. I sold my Tiger yesterday, and I just made an agreement to pick up a 2011 with 350 miles on it. I'll be following your progress in more ways than one, I'm also planning a few big rides including the Long Way Down.
It is a small world. About a year ago, I was planning a trip starting in Nepal, going through India and central Asia, and ending in Africa. It was a vague plan for what might lead to a RTW trip. At the time I was thinking the wr250r would be a great bike for the trip. Instead, I ended up going with a custom bike build around the yamaha RX125 engine. I was all set to go, gave notice at work, had all my stuff in storage, sold my car, stored my Ducati Monster, and crashed a my brothers place while I finished up work. About a month out, I got an offer for a job in New York I could not pass up. So now I am on the East Coast and it has been 6 months at the new job. All I can think about is starting off on the trip I postponed. Instead of starting in Asia, I figured I would go south. I have traveled through Asia a lot, backpacking and motorcycling, but I have never been in South America. Once I get to the bottom, I will decide whether to continue or head on back. I am hoping to either start out late summer in 2013, but I can see it being pushed into 2014. When are you targeting to go?
Old 02-05-2013, 02:49 PM   #32951
UtahFox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Quote:
It is a small world. About a year ago, I was planning a trip starting in Nepal, going through India and central Asia, and ending in Africa. It was a vague plan for what might lead to a RTW trip. At the time I was thinking the wr250r would be a great bike for the trip. Instead, I ended up going with a custom bike build around the yamaha RX125 engine. I was all set to go, gave notice at work, had all my stuff in storage, sold my car, stored my Ducati Monster, and crashed a my brothers place while I finished up work. About a month out, I got an offer for a job in New York I could not pass up. So now I am on the East Coast and it has been 6 months at the new job. All I can think about is starting off on the trip I postponed. Instead of starting in Asia, I figured I would go south. I have traveled through Asia a lot, backpacking and motorcycling, but I have never been in South America. Once I get to the bottom, I will decide whether to continue or head on back. I am hoping to either start out late summer in 2013, but I can see it being pushed into 2014. When are you targeting to go?
I'm a noob when it comes to foreign travel; one trip to Cabo and 7 months backpacking in Europe - super fun but also super casual. It seems like people start heading south in the Fall, so a very vague September/October. Other than exploring my neck of the woods, I'm also looking at going to the Florida Keys via the Gulf coast then back via the TAT in April/May (though I may have to go around Colorado). Then a buddy of mine and I are going to the Laguna GP in July.

Lots of fun stuff, I'm looking forward to this next year on the Ar Ar :)

Bye bye Tiger

The Tiger is now officially part of a quiver.
UtahFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:05 PM   #32952
Llamaha
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 684
Quote:

Modifications:
  • Spiral seat
  • Seal savers
Mind if I share my thoughts on this?

Personally I have never needed a rear rack I just plonk whatever on the rear fender and strap it down. If you get the wolfman racks then you will have plenty of tie-down points.

The radiator doesn't need protection any more than many other parts of the bike, you could just as easily dent a wheel on a rock and get stranded.

My old skid plate created a horrible echo from the bottom of the bike... you may want to research this. (mine wasn't flatland though worth thinking about...)

I have heard that the 4.7 doesn't get all of the fuel out of the wings, you may be getting the same amount of fuel from the safari but still have quite an agile motorcycle?
Llamaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:28 PM   #32953
avgas
amateur

Oddometer: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by what broke now View Post
Mr Avgas:

I have no aptitude for physics, but once ran across the notion that a standing bicycleist or moto rider created an "inverted Pendulum" and for that reason added stability and control to the process of riding. If this is correct, what is the process?

Did I just dream this?
A bicycle/motorcycle can be thought of as an inverted pendulum regardless of whether or not the rider is standing. Standing will increase your moment of inertia however. An increased moment of inertia can be beneficial because it slows the rate at which you tip over. Think of a metronome, you raise the weight and it ticks a slower beat. So, if it takes you longer to tip over, it's easier to correct.

You can easily balance a broom on one finger, because you have lots of time to react. A pencil is much harder to balance though. Actually, that's not a perfect analogy to the bicycle, because the pencil is much lighter than a broom. Ok, balance a broom on your finger, then cut off the broomstick...

It isn't really as simple as that though. A rider balancing a bicycle is a complex system. The inverted pendulum is just one part of it.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:24 PM   #32954
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamaha View Post

Personally I have never needed a rear rack I just plonk whatever on the rear fender and strap it down. If you get the wolfman racks then you will have plenty of tie-down points.
I agree, I simply bolted 4 metal rubber clad wire looms onto the subframe under the fender and use ROK straps to hold down a duffel. Works great, very minimal and inexpensive, and doesn't interfere with off road riding when not securing a duffel.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:24 PM   #32955
leftystrat62
Adventurer

Oddometer: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamaha View Post

The radiator doesn't need protection any more than many other parts of the bike, you could just as easily dent a wheel on a rock and get stranded.

My old skid plate created a horrible echo from the bottom of the bike... you may want to research this. (mine wasn't flatland though worth thinking about...)

I have heard that the 4.7 doesn't get all of the fuel out of the wings, you may be getting the same amount of fuel from the safari but still have quite an agile motorcycle?
From my actual experience : you need a radiator guard as mine is actually a little bent right now-with out it I would have been screwed; I purposely ran my 4.7 gal tank dry and it get's nearly all the fuel out of the wings so yes you'll have much more gas than the Safari;lastly it's only my opinion but having the trail rack makes strapping my duffle bag on the back very easy and secure.
leftystrat62 is offline   Reply With Quote