ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-18-2013, 08:12 PM   #33211
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Prescott AZ
Oddometer: 3,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahFox View Post
Done and done. I'm assuming you've replaced your grips, did you also replace the throttle tube or reuse it?
Same tube, it's been so long I can't remember but it came with handguards so tube was already cut.
AZ TOM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:04 PM   #33212
Mr. Fisherman
oneandahalfassed
 
Mr. Fisherman's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Eyejamnotta Sanchez
Oddometer: 10,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahFox View Post
Anyone have an opinion on grips? I'm going to swap out my bars soon, but don't know what to get for grips.
Hot Grips heated grips ala Big Dog, best grips ever and being as big as they are they really reduce hand fatigue for me.

From Marks web page...

http://bigdogadventures.com/WR250R.htm

model #475-875 which are 4 3/4" in length--be sure and order their epoxy to
glue them on as ordinary quick set epoxy won't hold up.
About $130 and available
Here

Love them.
Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:06 PM   #33213
duanew1
In my Pajama pants
 
duanew1's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Huntsville, AL
Oddometer: 739
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrymartin View Post
I could really use torque specs for the whole rear suspension, if someone has those.
I case you did not realize it, you do not have to take any suspension components off to replace the seal guard. You don't even have to take off the kickstand bracket but it makes it easier.
__________________
Bikes I own
2008 Yamaha WR250R
1992 Yamaha XT225
2008 SYM HD200
duanew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:04 AM   #33214
henrymartin
Mr. Tourguide
 
henrymartin's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: South of the Great North Woods
Oddometer: 3,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by duanew1 View Post
I case you did not realize it, you do not have to take any suspension components off to replace the seal guard. You don't even have to take off the kickstand bracket but it makes it easier.
I know that I don't have to take it apart to replace the seal guard. I made the CHOICE to take it apart, completely, based on the lack of care regarding the seal guard by the PO. It never hurts to clean and lube the needle bearings, shafts, sleeves, and all that. Why not do it when I already have the wheel off and I'm there anyway? Might as well make sure all works as intended, is clean and sealed, and coat bearings and pivot points in waterproof grease.

Oh, I did not take the kickstand off to take the swingarm and linkage apart

I also want to make sure that all of the old grease with sand in it (read lapping compound) is gone before I install new chain, sprockets, and sliders. But that's just me, trying to do things the right way.
henrymartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:16 AM   #33215
Sewerat
Cert. bike whore
 
Sewerat's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Brooksdale, ON
Oddometer: 1,120
It's a good idea to give the swing arm a once over anyways. But I'd also say that the po might not be lack of maintenance. Tht old slide looked gummed up with lots of oil, lube of some sort. I always have a spare seal in my inventory for the bike as they seem to just disintegrate whenever they feel like it???
__________________
2009 WR250R "Da Mini Bike"
"That's our colour: mud!"
Sewerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:21 AM   #33216
henrymartin
Mr. Tourguide
 
henrymartin's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: South of the Great North Woods
Oddometer: 3,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sewerat View Post
It's a good idea to give the swing arm a once over anyways. But I'd also say that the po might not be lack of maintenance. Tht old slide looked gummed up with lots of oil, lube of some sort. I always have a spare seal in my inventory for the bike as they seem to just disintegrate whenever they feel like it???
Yes, the old slide is gummed up with some heavy lube, and the case saver / sprocket cover was completely clogged with lube and sand. Those spots should be cleaned every now and then, if not the resulting lapping compound shortens the life of chain, sprockets, and sliders.
The reason why I mentioned probable lack of maintenance, is because there were other things as well - such as misaligned rear wheel, loose axle nuts...
henrymartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:29 AM   #33217
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot
 
cjbiker's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Southern Maine
Oddometer: 2,087
It's too bad that TM Designworks doesn't make a chain slider for the WR250R. Their stuff is indestructible.
cjbiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:33 AM   #33218
bogboy
Adventurer
 
bogboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Westford, Ma.
Oddometer: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahFox View Post
Anyone have an opinion on grips? I'm going to swap out my bars soon, but don't know what to get for grips.
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/oxfor...s-sports-style

Very toasty, easy install
bogboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:26 AM   #33219
ggemelos
Gnarly Adventurer
 
ggemelos's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: New York, NY
Oddometer: 119
Does anyone have experience using heated grips with fat bars? I just ordered an HDB setup and was thinking it would be easy to replace the grips at the same time as I install the new bar, but I have heard that heated grips don't work well on aluminum bars as the aluminum soaks up the heat. Any first hand experience and recommendation for heated grips?
__________________
www.tailevent.com
ggemelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:38 AM   #33220
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman
 
HardWorkingDog's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Walnut Crick, Cal.
Oddometer: 1,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggemelos View Post
...Any first hand experience and recommendation for heated grips?
I'm probably the only one here with this set up, but I like it. I use aerostich's velcro wrap grip heaters. They heat up very quickly and when I don't need them (which is most of the time) I take them off and store them. That way I can use the grips I like best and since they are positioned immediately under my gloves and insulated from the bars by the grips it doesn't matter whether you've got aluminum or steel bars.

They've worked well for me:

__________________
"Coffee first..."

Next Trip: the Nevada-Utah-Arizona 3 step (hoping, DingWeed)...


"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"
HardWorkingDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:48 AM   #33221
swimmer
armchair asshole
 
swimmer's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: tucson
Oddometer: 3,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggemelos View Post
Does anyone have experience using heated grips with fat bars? I just ordered an HDB setup and was thinking it would be easy to replace the grips at the same time as I install the new bar, but I have heard that heated grips don't work well on aluminum bars as the aluminum soaks up the heat. Any first hand experience and recommendation for heated grips?
I've used the standard symtec grip heaters on all my motorcycles including my current two (tiger 800 roadie and the wr) which both have Al bars. The symtec unit is supposed to compensate somewhat for the greater bar conduction on the clutch side. Yes, the Al is a great conductor of heat. To minimize the losses into the bar on the clutch side I wrap the bar with a couple layers of kapton tape. This helps but the throttle side still gets warmer. I am going to try to fit a thin piece of plastic tubing/pipe to mimic the throttle tube and secure that to the clutch side bar which I think will make things better. The symtec set-up is $35 and I've found it to be very reliable.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:48 AM   #33222
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot
 
cjbiker's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Southern Maine
Oddometer: 2,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggemelos View Post
Does anyone have experience using heated grips with fat bars? I just ordered an HDB setup and was thinking it would be easy to replace the grips at the same time as I install the new bar, but I have heard that heated grips don't work well on aluminum bars as the aluminum soaks up the heat. Any first hand experience and recommendation for heated grips?
I have aluminum bars and the under-the-grips heating elements on my KLR. It does not work well. I even wrapped the left side with a few turns of electrical tape before applying the heating element to try and stop the heat loss. The grips get warm when I'm stopped at a light, but as soon as I get moving, they cool off as the airflow wicks the heat away through the bars.

I used the velcro heated wraps, and they get nice and hot, but I didn't like the extra bulk. I prefer thin grips. I'm going to try heated gloves next.
cjbiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:55 AM   #33223
Outwardbound
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Strongsville, OH
Oddometer: 662
Picked up an "X" rear wheel today. My plan is NOT to pick up an X front wheel because I don't want to be swapping brake rotor hardware around to convert to a 17" front. I'm thinking about using street oriented tires and simply swapping for wheels with knobbies installed when I go for real dirt. The new wheel is a 17" rim as opposed to an OEM 18 on the "R". If I go with a higher profile on the tire ( for example 130/90 rather than 130/70) the rolling diameter of both the 18 and 17 should be very close to being the same. Thus from a handling standpoint it should be equivalent.....right? I'm NOT a suspension geometry expert, so I seek the wisdom of the hive (so to speak). Has anyone ever done the 21/17 combo?
Outwardbound is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:09 AM   #33224
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly
 
MeefZah's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: New Philadelphia, OH
Oddometer: 9,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
I've used the standard symtec grip heaters on all my motorcycles including my current two (tiger 800 roadie and the wr) which both have Al bars. The symtec unit is supposed to compensate somewhat for the greater bar conduction on the clutch side. Yes, the Al is a great conductor of heat. To minimize the losses into the bar on the clutch side I wrap the bar with a couple layers of kapton tape. This helps but the throttle side still gets warmer. I am going to try to fit a thin piece of plastic tubing/pipe to mimic the throttle tube and secure that to the clutch side bar which I think will make things better. The symtec set-up is $35 and I've found it to be very reliable.

A large piece (like sized for a battery cable) of heat shrink over the clutch side bar works well; in the past I have also glued a cut up piece of a soda bottle over the clutch side and then glued the heating element and grip over top of that.
__________________
"A man turns his back on the comforts of home, and when the dust all settles and the story is told, history is made by the side of the road..." -DBT, Monument Valley

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:11 AM   #33225
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot
 
cjbiker's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Southern Maine
Oddometer: 2,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
A large piece (like sized for a battery cable) of heat shrink over the clutch side bar works well; in the past I have also glued a cut up piece of a soda bottle over the clutch side and then glued the heating element and grip over top of that.
I tried the heat shrink first, but couldn't get the grip over the HS+heating element.
cjbiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014