Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2013, 04:45 PM   #33661
KansasBob
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by shep546 View Post
As someone who bought a new wr250r... do yourself a favor and by a used one.

Shhhhhh........... We need these guys so we can buy low mileage used ones next year.

It's the circle of life!
KansasBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:46 PM   #33662
henrymartin
Mr. Tourguide

Oddometer: 3,215
Mine was $3k. 2008 with 5k miles and this was Nov 2012 as well.

Yes, it had some hidden issues but nothing unusual (bearings, sprockets, chain, lack of lube in the swingarm - all cheap fixes that I would probably do anyway to a used bike).
henrymartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:30 PM   #33663
Red Sand
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 251
Ok, if I remain patient and sell my road bike first, then I'll definitely have more options and I'll then be able to buy what I really want.

Sounds like the best plan - thanks for all the info and encouragement - based on the loyalty factor from you guys, this machine must have significant value.

Now off to sell (again) my F800R . . .
Old 03-08-2013, 07:29 PM   #33664
Spank
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluraywr View Post
Red Sand,

Take your time. I bought my 2008 WR250R in November 2012 for $4,400. It only had 330 miles on it. It also had 10 months remaining on the factory warranty and a 4 year Yamaha extended warranty.

I wanted the CRF50L also but I'm glad that I waited. The Honda will still be there if you can't find a deal.

Good luck
Got my 2008 in Nov 2011 for $4000 including a trailer hitch carrier. Had just over 400 miles on the odometer. Found it on Craigslist.

My SPOT
Spank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:40 PM   #33665
Spank
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=841554

2008 WR250X in NC $4100 OBO. 42xx miles.

In the Flea Market

My SPOT
Spank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:41 PM   #33666
viper770
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 562
i just returned from riding my motorcyle to colorado for most of the week and i just got back today kinda long trip got lucky on the weather but i left right befor it started raining in colorado now im back in kansas
MY SPOT LOCATION http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...vi71zS820h7TbU
viper770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 02:55 AM   #33667
rsteiger
Bob

Oddometer: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Sand View Post
What a complete, total, 100% disappointment. Not only did they not have one, the 20 year old "salesman" I spoke with showed me a MX motorcycle and then he seemed astonished that I wanted a dual purpose bike. This was after talking with him on the phone a few hours earlier about commuting on the bike and taking short road trips to my sister's house. Then he went away and had a conference with his 22 year old boss. After several minutes, I began walking out and they came out and told me they had one "en route" and would call me when it comes in. These people were clueless - totally clueless about how to take care of the customer.

No thanks.

Still looking around Atlanta for an WR250R . . . damn, how does a company like that stay in business? Resellers like that really give Yamaha a very bad name.

Sorry - just had to vent.
Have you tried Mountain Motorsports in Conyers - ask for Russ, tell him that Jarvis from Blokes sent you.
2001 GasGas XC250
rsteiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:54 AM   #33668
shep546
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 215
So I plan on doing airbox mod, fmf powerbomb header and powercore 4 slip on.

Problem is I don't want to pay for a programmer, how many of you guys have done the stock fuel mapping adjustments? How did it work out? Thanks.
shep546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:05 AM   #33669
ADWrider
AKA Acorn27

Oddometer: 75
I picked up a pristine '08 WR250x with 2600 miles for $3200 in Nov 2012 also, bike has dirt setup on it now. I checked cycletrader.com, adv flea market, wr250 forums several times daily. The site that I really liked that ended up working for me was bikefinds.com. Pretty sweet site that pulls from Craigslist, eBay, maybe some other sites and shows results geographically. Be patient, something will turn up. I almost pulled the trigger 2 or 3 times, but I'm glad I waited because I found a really nice bike pretty close to me for a good price.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:07 AM   #33670
GSBS
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,835
Quote:

Problem is I don't want to pay for a programmer, how many of you guys have done the stock fuel mapping adjustments? How did it work out? Thanks.
Opened air box (K&N filter now), removed AIS and EXUP, FMF pipe (no header), no programmer - used the CO adjustment in the bike's computer - over 2 years and 12K miles ago. Runs great, no issues.

I see no reason whatsoever for paying the $$$ for a programmer on this bike. I'm sure others will disagree, but I'm very happy with the performance I'm getting.
GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:28 AM   #33671
Red Sand
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsteiger View Post
Have you tried Mountain Motorsports in Conyers - ask for Russ, tell him that Jarvis from Blokes sent you.
Thanks for the heads-up.

I spoke w/a very nice ADV rider who works at the Conyers place - he's going to get me a 2012 - I believe it's a new one.

It's really refreshing to finally deal with someone who knows what they're doing and seems to genuinely care about doing their job right. I don't care if I have to travel 52 miles to pick up the machine - it'll be worth it and life is really good again.

Hey, let's go ride!
Old 03-09-2013, 08:42 AM   #33672
UtahFox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Sand View Post
Thanks for the heads-up.
It's really refreshing to finally deal with someone who knows what they're doing and seems to genuinely care about doing their job right. I don't care if I have to travel 52 miles to pick up the machine - it'll be worth it and life is really good again.
I rode 1600 miles round trip to get mine, 52 just gives you a starter break in ride.

Quote:

Sounds like GSBS has your answer, but if $$$ is your main concern and you break down and have to buy, you might consider a Juicebox Pro. I have a Powerbomb header, but I'm mating it to a Two Brothers can and Juicebox. They go for about $220, and the main difference is you don't need a computer to switch maps, plus you can come up with your own maps and it'll store 10 total maps.

This just shipped so I should have it no later than Tuesday. I can't wait - I've always loved having some bling in my exhaust, I think this'll be the best one yet.
UtahFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:51 AM   #33673
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,641
>"Problem is I don't want to pay for a programmer, how many of you guys have done the stock fuel mapping adjustments? How did it work out? Thanks."

IHMO: Skip the header for now and buy a programmer. It makes a hell of a difference, very big in the mid-range. You can add a header later.

The CO adjustment (stock stuff) makes only a small difference in the low range. It is not that the exhaust changes won't make you happy, but you'll be missing a whole lot from adding the fuel in the mid range.

It is a shame that the programmers are so expensive. The engineering costs were paid off a long time ago. Probably should cost much, much less than the asking price.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:19 AM   #33674
Attico
Wrong way 'round

Oddometer: 1,721
Ya, i agree with twilight. I ran the programmer on a stock bike with the flapper pinned down and noticed a difference. It smooths the bike out.

I now have a fmf megabomb and powercore and it is really snappy. Not allot of power but revs easier and has more low end torque. The torque was noticable with the megabomb.

Overall though, as others mentioned way back, it is a slippery slope in that the gains to be had may not be worth the $$. I just can't leave well enough alone so thats my excuse....i would spend money on the suspension if i had to choose....

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightZone View Post
>"Problem is I don't want to pay for a programmer, how many of you guys have done the stock fuel mapping adjustments? How did it work out? Thanks."

IHMO: Skip the header for now and buy a programmer. It makes a hell of a difference, very big in the mid-range. You can add a header later.

The CO adjustment (stock stuff) makes only a small difference in the low range. It is not that the exhaust changes won't make you happy, but you'll be missing a whole lot from adding the fuel in the mid range.

It is a shame that the programmers are so expensive. The engineering costs were paid off a long time ago. Probably should cost much, much less than the asking price.
Old 03-09-2013, 12:25 PM   #33675
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightZone View Post

Twilight - I notice you quote regularly, but seem to do it the hard way. Are you aware of the "QUOTE" button in the lower right of every post? Looks like this:

Whatever works for you; I posted this thinking the quote button would be easier for you.

Jon