Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2013, 07:08 AM   #33691
mpatch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogboy View Post
We just got 2 feet of snow. I decided it was a good time to pit on my IMS 4.7 tank. Not to difficult at all. The worst part was lining up the mounting bolts, but you just have to move it around to get them in. So far I find this bike very easy to work on. I filled up the wings to see what it was like with the vacuum pump running. No question that it works with the gas splashing around the fuel pump.
Now my question. I assume the fuel pump monitors gas level. I'm wondering what the low fuel range is when the low fuel warning goes on? There is quite a bit of fuel in the wings and it just seems that light would be on for a while. Is there a way to get it out of the program?
Thanks

I havent run it bone dry but I figure I get roughly another 100mi once the light comes on.
The one thing that can be a pain is when you get really low on fuel it is possible have the bike die or stumble if one on the wings runs close to dry due to leaning hard into a corner causing the aux. pump suck air instead of fuel.
mpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:42 AM   #33692
bogboy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpatch View Post
I havent run it bone dry but I figure I get roughly another 100mi once the light comes on.
The one thing that can be a pain is when you get really low on fuel it is possible have the bike die or stumble if one on the wings runs close to dry due to leaning hard into a corner causing the aux. pump suck air instead of fuel.
Thats not bad actually, What do you figure for mileage up to the light going on?
150 miles?
thanks mpatch
bogboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:50 AM   #33693
mpatch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogboy View Post
Thats not bad actually, What do you figure for mileage up to the light going on?
150 miles?
thanks mpatch
mileage vaires a lot depening on what you are doing, I have gotten anywhere from 40-70 mpg

on average I would say around 150ish when the light comes on
mpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:34 AM   #33694
shep546
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 215
Any of you guys running magnetic oil drain plugs?
shep546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:39 PM   #33695
TexaNate
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Sand View Post
Can the WR250R owners post their mileage per year?

I'm wondering if these things are used primarily for off road only, rarely for commuting, or heavy on-road use.

Just curious because I plan to use mine 80/20, probably getting 4,000 per year for commuting on-road only.
Since I saw you're considering both the WR250R and the CRF250L, I guess I'll post my thoughts (I have both). Last November I bought my 2008 WR used for $3,000 with 5000 miles on the odo. It came with all the common airbox mods, the FMF Power Programmer and the FMF header and muffler. At around the same time my dad bought his '13 CRF250L for $4,200 from the dealer. Both are excellent trailbikes but they should not be considered as substitutes for each other. The WR250R is taller, has much better suspension for doing more than 30-40mph and with the common engine mods, it has a lot more kick. The CRF250L could probably have that same power with similar mods, but more people have written guides etc. so far for modding the WR. The CRF is friendlier at lower speeds and the WR feels a lot more like a real dirtbike - especially if you get your suspension set up by GoRace, etc. Or so I hear - I find the stock setup works for me with a few easily-made adjustments (which cannot be made on the CRF).

Last summer I got the chance to ride a rental WR250R that had 10k miles on it. It felt brand new (of course it was well maintained by the rental guy, but it had also been thrashed and dropped by his customers - a lot). Whether the Thailand-assembled CRF250L will feel brand new after 10,000 miles remains to be seen.

The difference between the two on the road in terms of comfort, etc. is dwarfed by what tires you put on them and whether your wheels are balanced. However, if you ride offroad (gravel/fields/sand/trails) at higher speeds (above 30-40mph), the WR is noticeably more competent.

I would hang in there for a good used WR.
Old 03-10-2013, 02:42 PM   #33696
ba_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,434
winter modifications done

Let's ride!

Old 03-10-2013, 02:54 PM   #33697
UtahFox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by ba_ View Post
Let's ride!
Yeah, come on over - let's go!

Hey could I ask you a favor? Would you do a measurement of the mount holes in your shields, just how far apart they are. I want to buy a HDB setup but have my own I'd like to use.
UtahFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:35 PM   #33698
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 723
One of the videos from my ride today.

2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:47 PM   #33699
shep546
Gnarly Adventurer

Cool vid man but you need to invest in some handguards
Old 03-10-2013, 09:28 PM   #33700
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Sand View Post
Can the WR250R owners post their mileage per year?

I'm wondering if these things are used primarily for off road only, rarely for commuting, or heavy on-road use.

Just curious because I plan to use mine 80/20, probably getting 4,000 per year for commuting on-road only.
I put just under 18,000 miles on my first WR250R in 9 months before it was stolen.

My current WR250R I put 43,xxx miles on since I bought it new in January 2010, and it was my sole transportation until I moved to Alaska and until winter back in late September.

I've ridden it everywhere, in every kind of trail, road, and condition. Its the best all-purpose bike made.
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:54 PM   #33701
Red Sand
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by skierd View Post
Its the best all-purpose bike made.
This gives me confidence and I appreciate your comments.

A very good friend of mine and I have been riding road bikes for 22 years. He thinks I'm really stupid for getting one of these things but I'm hoping after he rides mine he'll really like it.

He didn't like my Bandit 400 either . . . until he got it on the Dragon.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:25 AM   #33702
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,738
Thanks for posting Burtonrider. Looks like fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonrider3889 View Post
One of the videos from my ride today.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:08 AM   #33703
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 723
Quote:
Originally Posted by shep546 View Post
Cool vid man but you need to invest in some handguards
Tell me about it. I'm in the process of buying another house right now, so I've been pinching my pennies. Once I get in my new place I'll hopefully be able to start collecting parts. I'll also be collecting tools since I finally will have a garage. Hand guards are first on my list as I've already jacked up my lever, and stuff seems like it's going to break on the handlebars every time I drop it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
Thanks for posting Burtonrider. Looks like fun!
Thanks Jon. I have a couple others from other areas, but I don't know if they're worth posting. This was the first time I used the Go Pro for this bike.
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:54 AM   #33704
ggemelos
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Cup View Post
Hi ggemelos, I simply wanted to be sure with all the bouncing around that I was able to get all the fuel out for maximum range on some of my long rides. Many don't use them but they are very good at keeping the pick up fuel lines on the bottom of the wings. Remember if the fuel pick ups are not all the way down you can't get to that fuel no matter what pump arrangement you use. Just common sense to me but that doesn't mean you can't get by without them.
Thanks for the reply. It makes sense to me as well. I tried to order the parts, but they are out of stock. Since my tank arrives this week, I was wondering whether to wait for the pick-up weights. I am not in a rush and will probably wait.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:37 AM   #33705
shep546
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonrider3889 View Post
Tell me about it. I'm in the process of buying another house right now, so I've been pinching my pennies. Once I get in my new place I'll hopefully be able to start collecting parts. I'll also be collecting tools since I finally will have a garage. Hand guards are first on my list as I've already jacked up my lever, and stuff seems like it's going to break on the handlebars every time I drop it.

Thanks Jon. I have a couple others from other areas, but I don't know if they're worth posting. This was the first time I used the Go Pro for this bike.
Check out these.

I bought a pair for my bike and they are wicked, these are acerbis guards without the name. Same factory, same components, same hardware and materials. Just no stick for 1/3 of the price