User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2013, 05:38 PM   #33736
johnlt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 583
index

with over 2000 pages in this thread, it is difficult for a "newbie" to find key items. Is there any index of basic mods/adds to the OEM bike? Thanks
1975 BMW R75/6
Yamaha WR250R
johnlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:42 PM   #33737
UtahFox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlt View Post
with over 2000 pages in this thread, it is difficult for a "newbie" to find key items. Is there any index of basic mods/adds to the OEM bike? Thanks
Here's what you want...

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=538181
UtahFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:45 PM   #33738
bogboy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh2RideMore View Post
Finally broke down and bought a bigger tank. What are you guys doing for a gas cap? Does an enduro bag fit on tank?

I just installed the IMS 4.7 a few days ago. I ordered a red Billet aluminum cap with it. Looks good to me. Wolfman enduro tank bag fits on no problem.
bogboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:46 PM   #33739
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot

Oddometer: 2,302
Valve clearances

I just checked the valve clearances on my 08 WR with 4000 miles on it. The spec listed earlier in this thread is 0.23mm-0.30mm for exhaust and 0.13mm-0.20mm for intake. If my math is correct, that's 0.009"-0.012" and 0.005"-0.008". Mine measured at 0.009" and 0.010" on the exhaust and 0.006" on both intake valves.

So, should I rest easy knowing that my valves are in spec, or should I adjust that 0.009" exhaust valve?

Thoughts?

cjbiker screwed with this post 03-12-2013 at 05:56 PM
cjbiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:30 PM   #33740
jgormley
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 684
Anyone using the Cyclone Sport Shield?
http://www.maier-mfg.com/catalog/cyc...shield-78-bars

Just looking for feedback on how well it works on a wrr?
Adjustability and stability..

They don't have a forgiving return policy...

Old 03-12-2013, 07:06 PM   #33741
Longboardr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbiker View Post
I just checked the valve clearances on my 08 WR with 4000 miles on it. The spec listed earlier in this thread is 0.23mm-0.30mm for exhaust and 0.13mm-0.20mm for intake. If my math is correct, that's 0.009"-0.012" and 0.005"-0.008". Mine measured at 0.009" and 0.010" on the exhaust and 0.006" on both intake valves.

So, should I rest easy knowing that my valves are in spec, or should I adjust that 0.009" exhaust valve?

Thoughts?
Fwiw the valves get tighter as they wear.
Longboardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:21 PM   #33742
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboardr View Post
Fwiw the valves get tighter as they wear.
Right, hence my thoughts on opening up the exhaust valve that's right at the limit.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:31 PM   #33743
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinTheRVA View Post
Hey guys,

I'm looking at a 2012 WR250R with ~400 miles on it. It has been down on the right side, with what looks to be only cosmetic damage to the fenders/exhaust cover. I don't see any damage to the engine casing, etc. He did replace the bars because of a small bend he said.

He is asking $4700.

Would you pay that? If not, what would you try to work him down to? Thanks so much for your input, I'm new to the market for these.

KBB trade in says $3800, Retail $5500.
Private party price should be halfway between retail and trade, so he's right in line, if you subtract the damage.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:59 AM   #33744
YZEtc
Feel lucky?

Oddometer: 120
Quote:

Thoughts?
Myself, on the last two bikes I've been riding, my valve clearances were also closer toward the low side of the allowed specification.
Still within the allowed range, though, much like yours.
This was measured after a season of riding.

I didn't get worried about it, but simply kept tabs on it...once a year.
When I measured again a year later, they were at the same measurements.

Point:
For all you know, that's how the bike rolled off the assembly line.
In fact, I'd bet on it.
Personally, I wouldn't bother messing with it since it's within the accepted range.
I would just record the measurements you got and compare to the next clearance check, which I would do one a year for typical casual-and-for-fun riding.
If you still have uneasy doubts about your bike, check them again in a couple of months of use.
If you have serious doubts that are a legit concern, make an adjustment and end it.
YZEtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:02 AM   #33745
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot

Quote:
Originally Posted by YZEtc View Post
Myself, on the last two bikes I've been riding, my valve clearances were also closer toward the low side of the allowed specification.
Still within the allowed range, though, much like yours.
This was measured after a season of riding.

I didn't get worried about it, but simply kept tabs on it...once a year.
When I measured again a year later, they were at the same measurements.

Point:
For all you know, that's how the bike rolled off the assembly line.
In fact, I'd bet on it.
Personally, I wouldn't bother messing with it since it's within the accepted range.
I would just record the measurements you got and compare to the next clearance check, which I would do one a year for typical casual-and-for-fun riding.
If you still have uneasy doubts about your bike, check them again in a couple of months of use.
If you have serious doubts that are a legit concern, make an adjustment and end it.
Hmm, the thought of stripping the bike down and wrestling that valve cover off again any time soon makes me want to cry. I was hoping for a "check it an forget it for the next 22,000 miles" answer.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:36 AM   #33746
YZEtc
Feel lucky?

Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Hmm, the thought of stripping the bike down and wrestling that valve cover off again any time soon makes me want to cry. I was hoping for a "check it an forget it for the next 22,000 miles" answer.
It sounds as if you're leaning toward the likelyhood that the bike rolled off the assembly line with larger clearances, and within 4,000 miles, they have tightened-up.

Unless you abuse the shit out of the bike and/or inhaled lots of dirt through the air filter, I doubt that's the case, or else all other WR-250R/X riders would have non-running engines.

So, what are the choices?
Either button it up and keep riding, or make an adjustment.
Either way, regardless of what model bike it is, I'd check this at least once a year because that makes me feel better about it.
YZEtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:47 AM   #33747
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot

Quote:
Originally Posted by YZEtc View Post
It sounds as if you're leaning toward the likelyhood that the bike rolled off the assembly line with larger clearances, and within 4,000 miles, they have tightened-up.

Unless you abuse the shit out of the bike and/or inhaled lots of dirt through the air filter, I doubt that's the case, or else all other WR-250R/X riders would have non-running engines.

So, what are the choices?
Either button it up and keep riding, or make an adjustment.
Either way, regardless of what model bike it is, I'd check this at least once a year because that makes me feel better about it.
That's been my experience with other bikes, that they get set to X from the factory (hopefully somewhere near the middle of the spec), and by the first valve check at 600-1000 miles, a couple are just below the lower limit. I adjust them, and then 3000 miles later, they typically haven't moved.

The WR is unusual with it's 26,600 mile valve check intervals, so my typical way of thinking may not apply? The only reason I'm debating this is that it's still two months until the trails here are open, and I've got the bike torn down in the shop and am waiting on a bunch of other parts. If it was summer, I'd button it up and ride it. It's interesting to think that according to Yamaha, 0.009" is OK, and if I was a dealer mechanic doing the work on a customer's WR with 26,600 miles on it, I'd see that it's still in spec and button it up to be checked again at 53,200 miles.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:29 AM   #33748
Krabill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,256
I'm with YZEtc on this one. There is a spec and you are within it. I wouldn't touch 'em if it was my bike. Button it up and ride
Krabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:44 AM   #33749
ggemelos
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahFox View Post
I sure wouldn't mind a locking cap for one, though I haven't found any. There's an Acerbis universal cap that's reported to work 'ok', with the threads being off a bit.

Safari has a locking gas cap you can buy for their tanks. I believe it is made by Acerbis, but they say it fits all Safari tanks. I just took delivery of my Safari tank and locking gas cap. Planning on installing them this weekend.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:47 AM   #33750
byron555
Lame Duck Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,041
maier screens

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgormley View Post
Anyone using the Cyclone Sport Shield?
http://www.maier-mfg.com/catalog/cyc...shield-78-bars

Just looking for feedback on how well it works on a wrr?
Adjustability and stability..

They don't have a forgiving return policy...

the screen I had on my xr650l from maier was not so great, due mostly to the mounting hardware. No angle adjustment on the arms where they attach to the screen... I'd go a different route

Oil changed @ 14300... filter next

byron555 screwed with this post 03-13-2013 at 06:52 AM
byron555 is offline   Reply With Quote