ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-26-2013, 03:03 AM   #34156
YZEtc
Feel lucky?
 
YZEtc's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Connecticut
Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by indypup View Post
Hmm, I have had the problem where the fuel pump overheats a couple of times. I just let if cool down and it starts right up.
I'm going to tweak the fuel programmer and see if that makes any difference too. My tailpipe is kind of black sooty looking and it might be running too rich. The spark plug was black too.
Don't bother trying to "save" or "improve" the situation.
This is THE symptom of having an effected and faulty fuel pump that will fail because it was not assembled with adequate clearances for the internal parts to move without seizing-up the pump when it's hot.

If this happens in the heat of summer, you'll be waiting 45 minutes for things to cool enough to restart.
Ask me how I know (on 2 occasions before I caught on).

The solution is replacing the pump.
YZEtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:59 AM   #34157
Reeksy
high state of hiatus
 
Reeksy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Mt Mellum
Oddometer: 843
Brilliant - gives me something to aim for, thanks.

... and I can make a fork seal cleaning tool with some of the leftovers, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManLee View Post
Here is the model I used. 14 gallon(53L) rubbermaid tub.



Here's an 18 gallon for comparison. Either one will work. They share the same top and stack together.
__________________

Reeksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:25 AM   #34158
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮
 
indypup's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Troy, OHIO
Oddometer: 3,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fisherman View Post
Get yourself a new fuel pump on the way now. This one is not long for this world.

Been there, done that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by YZEtc View Post
Don't bother trying to "save" or "improve" the situation.
This is THE symptom of having an effected and faulty fuel pump that will fail because it was not assembled with adequate clearances for the internal parts to move without seizing-up the pump when it's hot.

If this happens in the heat of summer, you'll be waiting 45 minutes for things to cool enough to restart.
Ask me how I know (on 2 occasions before I caught on).

The solution is replacing the pump.
Thanks guys, I'll get one on order because the last time I was out in the woods waiting for a while before it started again. :(
__________________
If there's no video...it didn't happen
2014 350 XCF-W Six Days SE
2007 ST1300, 2008 KLR650, 2008 WR250R, 1995 Ninja 250R
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
indypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:15 AM   #34159
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot
 
cjbiker's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Southern Maine
Oddometer: 2,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj_day View Post
Just went through this 2 days ago. There was Loctite on the threads of the shaft, and grit in the threads at the bottom of the block. I was not able to get it closer than about 1/2in to the rebound adjuster. I threaded the block all the way off the shaft. Then I cleaned off the threads on the shaft and the threads inside the block with a wire brush. I threaded it back onto the shaft, and then I was able to thread it all the way up to the rebound adjuster.

Good luck!
This raises a question from me. I bought my WR used, and it may have been lowered by the original owner. What's the "stock" setting for the shock clevis? Is there a measurement from the top of the block to the rebound adjuster?
cjbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:19 AM   #34160
Mr. Fisherman
FTW! FIT! FIN! FYYFF
 
Mr. Fisherman's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Back of the bus!
Oddometer: 10,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbiker View Post
This raises a question from me. I bought my WR used, and it may have been lowered by the original owner. What's the "stock" setting for the shock clevis? Is there a measurement from the top of the block to the rebound adjuster?
Just adjust it for your height and sag. It's personal.
Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:45 AM   #34161
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot
 
cjbiker's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Southern Maine
Oddometer: 2,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fisherman View Post
Just adjust it for your height and sag. It's personal.
Will do, but I'd like to know what the adjustment range is.
cjbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:49 AM   #34162
advmgm
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: Omaha Arkansas - Motorcycling Paradise
Oddometer: 804
I joined the club!!

Resistance is futile so I joined the Dual Sport Movement!

Last fall I moved to northern Arkansas and decided that after years of street riding I was going to get back into dual sport riding. I love riding gravel and dirt roads and there are a gazillion here. I narrowed my choice of steed down to the the WR250R. But the problem was when went up for sale, it went fast and none were close to me. I had resigned myself to a long duration search before I found one.

Then Fate stepped in. Last Saturday my wife was out driving around in the Miata and called and said "honey, you should ride this road in Missouri on the motorcycle because its so twisty". I left the house 20 minutes later and there, 25 miles from my house, sitting alongside the road with a "For Sale" sign on it was this, exactly what I was looking for and in the right price range. Turned around and stopped and took a test ride. And I had my checkbook so I could leave a deposit. After doing a price/features check with some of my dual sport friend in Houston it was sold to me.

2008 Yamaha WR250R, nicely farkled now lives in my garage.
Now if the temp would just get above 40 so I could ride it and get used to the tiny and narrow machine that it is!
advmgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:04 AM   #34163
aj_day
Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Oddometer: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbiker View Post
Will do, but I'd like to know what the adjustment range is.
It is my understanding that the total height range adjustment available is .9 inches, and they come adjusted all the way up (tall) from the factory.

The previous owner of my bike also had the rear spring compressed (preload adjusted) so stiff that my 125lb wife was getting almost no sag either. Measure your spring height and adjust the preload too. The proper amount of sag makes a big difference. You can read my comments on this thread over the last few days. In summary, I lowered the bike with the clevis block and a yamalink. It was still too tall for my wife. I adjusted the preload for @ 3in of sag, and that made a critical difference. I still plan to put softer springs in the forks (not getting proper sag in front), but now she is at least able to get her toes on the ground and give it a go.
aj_day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:22 AM   #34164
UtahFox
Gnarly Adventurer
 
UtahFox's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Salt Lake City
Oddometer: 446
Stock Dash.

Anyone know if the stock dash/computer/odo has to be installed? I've got a replacement on the way, and if I can I'd just like to get rid of the stock one.
UtahFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:37 AM   #34165
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot
 
cjbiker's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Southern Maine
Oddometer: 2,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj_day View Post
It is my understanding that the total height range adjustment available is .9 inches, and they come adjusted all the way up (tall) from the factory.

The previous owner of my bike also had the rear spring compressed (preload adjusted) so stiff that my 125lb wife was getting almost no sag either. Measure your spring height and adjust the preload too. The proper amount of sag makes a big difference. You can read my comments on this thread over the last few days. In summary, I lowered the bike with the clevis block and a yamalink. It was still too tall for my wife. I adjusted the preload for @ 3in of sag, and that made a critical difference. I still plan to put softer springs in the forks (not getting proper sag in front), but now she is at least able to get her toes on the ground and give it a go.
Thanks, I know all about suspension setup regarding sag and preload. I just needed the stock (max) height adjustment spec.
cjbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:38 AM   #34166
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot
 
cjbiker's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Southern Maine
Oddometer: 2,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahFox View Post
Anyone know if the stock dash/computer/odo has to be installed? I've got a replacement on the way, and if I can I'd just like to get rid of the stock one.
Search this thread and the WR forum. It has been reported that the speedo unit is required.
cjbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:10 AM   #34167
shep546
Gnarly Adventurer
 
shep546's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
Oddometer: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by advmgm View Post
Resistance is futile so I joined the Dual Sport Movement!

Last fall I moved to northern Arkansas and decided that after years of street riding I was going to get back into dual sport riding. I love riding gravel and dirt roads and there are a gazillion here. I narrowed my choice of steed down to the the WR250R. But the problem was when went up for sale, it went fast and none were close to me. I had resigned myself to a long duration search before I found one.

Then Fate stepped in. Last Saturday my wife was out driving around in the Miata and called and said "honey, you should ride this road in Missouri on the motorcycle because its so twisty". I left the house 20 minutes later and there, 25 miles from my house, sitting alongside the road with a "For Sale" sign on it was this, exactly what I was looking for and in the right price range. Turned around and stopped and took a test ride. And I had my checkbook so I could leave a deposit. After doing a price/features check with some of my dual sport friend in Houston it was sold to me.

2008 Yamaha WR250R, nicely farkled now lives in my garage.
Now if the temp would just get above 40 so I could ride it and get used to the tiny and narrow machine that it is!

Nice looking bike man, welcome... looks like that guy is set up for more long distance hauling than off road.
shep546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:46 AM   #34168
advmgm
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: Omaha Arkansas - Motorcycling Paradise
Oddometer: 804
Quote:
Originally Posted by shep546 View Post
Nice looking bike man, welcome... looks like that guy is set up for more long distance hauling than off road.
Thanks. Previous owner had planned to ride it to Colorado and Alaska from Arkansas so it was set up for the long haul.

Just stepped outside and its still 30 degrees here. I have cold weather gear but that is at the bottom end of the comfort range.

Tomorrow we ride!
advmgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:25 AM   #34169
DougZ73
Lacks Freetime
 
DougZ73's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: NJ
Oddometer: 6,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj_day View Post
It is my understanding that the total height range adjustment available is .9 inches, and they come adjusted all the way up (tall) from the factory.

The previous owner of my bike also had the rear spring compressed (preload adjusted) so stiff that my 125lb wife was getting almost no sag either. Measure your spring height and adjust the preload too. The proper amount of sag makes a big difference. You can read my comments on this thread over the last few days. In summary, I lowered the bike with the clevis block and a yamalink. It was still too tall for my wife. I adjusted the preload for @ 3in of sag, and that made a critical difference. I still plan to put softer springs in the forks (not getting proper sag in front), but now she is at least able to get her toes on the ground and give it a go.
There is no sag adjustment on the front of the WRR/X, only rebound and compression damping. You can only set sag on these bikes on the rear.

Setting the rear to about 75 mm should be no issue with the wife's light weight. So long as she is not a big jumper, there should never be any rubbing of the tire inside the rear fender.

Spring change in the front can help, especially with her weight, but the cheaper way to go, if only wanting to adjust for the height change in the back, is to slide the forks up through the triples a bit. I would not go more than 10 mm max. You can adjust the way the front feels for her, by doing the compression and rebound damping, as I had mentioned. Some people change out the fork oil too, but I do not think that is probably necessary in your case.

Good luck with the bike and fun riding to both of you.
__________________
Skyline Drive 11/2010 , Catskills 2010 trip, Catskills 2011 , Southern TNJT, 2011
DougZ's MTB thread , DZ Moto Photo Bloggin' , (my) Learning photography thread, DougZ vids
- Ryder Joseph Z. , Born 11/26/12-- the next Adventure: Grayson Hunter Z., born 5/3/14
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:28 AM   #34170
KansasBob
Studly Adventurer
 
KansasBob's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Topeka
Oddometer: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahFox View Post
Anyone know if the stock dash/computer/odo has to be installed? I've got a replacement on the way, and if I can I'd just like to get rid of the stock one.
The bike won't run without it.
KansasBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014