UtahFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:50 AM   #34172
UtahFox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by KansasBob View Post
The bike won't run without it.
Bleh - guess I'll just put it beneath the dash then.
UtahFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:47 AM   #34173
shep546
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 215
Hey guys,

I took out my AIS, capped off the port going to exhaust, removed line to airbox... now my question is the check engine light...

Do I need to wire in a resistor to keep myself from getting a CEL? Is there a guide for this?
shep546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:05 AM   #34174
aj_day
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
Spring change in the front can help, especially with her weight, but the cheaper way to go, if only wanting to adjust for the height change in the back, is to slide the forks up through the triples a bit. I would not go more than 10 mm max. You can adjust the way the front feels for her, by doing the compression and rebound damping, as I had mentioned. Some people change out the fork oil too, but I do not think that is probably necessary in your case.
Thanks for the tips. I already raised the forks up in the tree 1/2in. Thinking about doing the springs because she is not getting much sag at all, and the preload is not adjustable. For her, the bike feels plush in the back now, and stiff up front by comparison. We will take a few more rides on it and make some adjustments, but I suspect I may not be able to get it to feel balanced without changing fork springs.
aj_day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:13 AM   #34175
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by advmgm View Post
Thanks. Previous owner had planned to ride it to Colorado and Alaska from Arkansas so it was set up for the long haul.

Just stepped outside and its still 30 degrees here. I have cold weather gear but that is at the bottom end of the comfort range.

Tomorrow we ride!
Congratulations on your new-to-you bike and welcome to ADVrider! I feel your pain - I bought a 2010 ten days ago and have put all of 20 miles on it because of work and the weather. It's normally much warmer here this time of year, so we must be responsible in some way for the cosmic shift that's keeping us from riding!

I have a giant windscreen like that for my BMW 1150GS, came with the bike, and has lived ever since in a box in my storage shed. It's nice protection from the weather, but I couldn't believe how much horsepower it took to push that thing through the air, very noticeable even on the Beemer. There are some VERY nice small screens shown about 15 pages back on this thread, if I can round up the cash that looks like a nice option.

By the way, it sounds like your wife is a KEEPER . How many guys here can say that their wife was out carving corners in her sporty convertible and called you to come ride it on your motorcycle, then supports you in buying one you found on that ride?? Holy shit, Dude, that's unheard of! That is LOVE! Good for you both!

Doug
Old 03-26-2013, 11:21 AM   #34176
Sewerat
Cert. bike whore

Oddometer: 1,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by shep546 View Post
Hey guys,

I took out my AIS, capped off the port going to exhaust, removed line to airbox... now my question is the check engine light...

Do I need to wire in a resistor to keep myself from getting a CEL? Is there a guide for this?
If all yu did was the ais system you won't get a cel. If you removed the exup motor under the battery you will need the bypass or the resistor. Mine just has the cables removed and the motor still in place with no ill effect
Old 03-26-2013, 11:32 AM   #34177
shep546
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sewerat View Post
If all yu did was the ais system you won't get a cel. If you removed the exup motor under the battery you will need the bypass or the resistor. Mine just has the cables removed and the motor still in place with no ill effect
Sweet,

Thanks.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:24 PM   #34178
bash3r
I ain't no DingWeed

Oddometer: 1,696
Winter Farkles

Well... just wanted to share my latest winter farkles with the WR crew.. hope everyone got there's done and is ready to ride! I just need this foot of snow to melt.. the creeks are going to be epic here in Missouri this spring!

Check out my build post on my website... here
New MondoMotos MM10 Bullet LED lights and Garmin 478C! Enjoy!

ADV Gear | 3 Step Hideaway |Campground POIs
bash3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:26 PM   #34179
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj_day View Post
Thanks for the tips. I already raised the forks up in the tree 1/2in. Thinking about doing the springs because she is not getting much sag at all, and the preload is not adjustable. For her, the bike feels plush in the back now, and stiff up front by comparison. We will take a few more rides on it and make some adjustments, but I suspect I may not be able to get it to feel balanced without changing fork springs.
Yeah, springs may be necessary for her weight. A lot of us did change out the stock fork oil to Belray 5Wt, and it makes a noticeable change in the feel of the front end. That may be something to try.
DougZ73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:31 PM   #34180
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,116
So, as a n00b to the WR250R, can I ask a potentially stooopid question: WHY are you removing the EXUP, airbox flapper, and AIS? Is it for weight savings alone, or do you really see some kind of performance improvement? I guess I'm a bit biased since I'm coming from an 1150GS which fully loaded with me and my wife on it runs about 950 pounds, so the WR seems like a frigging bicycle compared to the Big Pig.

A also admit I was a bit dismayed to read that this fine little bike has all that shite hanging on it, for crying out loud, and immediately began pondering taking it all off, but I don't really know why I feel that way. Maybe it's because I'm 55 years old and remeber when a standard dirt bike had none of that crap. The bike makes like 75 MPG, so how much polution control stuff does it really need?

Thanks for your insights!

Doug
Old 03-26-2013, 12:45 PM   #34181
viper770
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 568
yamaha has made choking the bike from any extra preformance a art
MY SPOT LOCATION http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...vi71zS820h7TbU
viper770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:58 PM   #34182
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by manfromthestix View Post
So, as a n00b to the WR250R, can I ask a potentially stooopid question: WHY are you removing the EXUP, airbox flapper, and AIS? Is it for weight savings alone, or do you really see some kind of performance improvement? I guess I'm a bit biased since I'm coming from an 1150GS which fully loaded with me and my wife on it runs about 950 pounds, so the WR seems like a frigging bicycle compared to the Big Pig.

A also admit I was a bit dismayed to read that this fine little bike has all that shite hanging on it, for crying out loud, and immediately began pondering taking it all off, but I don't really know why I feel that way. Maybe it's because I'm 55 years old and remeber when a standard dirt bike had none of that crap. The bike makes like 75 MPG, so how much polution control stuff does it really need?

Thanks for your insights!

Doug
I don't think anyone does it for weight savings but rather un-choking the bike. It's amazing how much those few mods really open it up.

How ever, if you like your 75mpg, you might not want to mess with it. I see no where near 75mpg, but then again, my right wrist might have something to do with that too.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5: Y2l43o9LVBERU
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:47 PM   #34183
shep546
Gnarly Adventurer

Almost done my winter upgrades...

So far: Kenda 270 rear, pirelli mt21 front
Fmf pipe
Ais removed
fmf programmer
uni air filter
acerbis handguards

to come: flatland skid plate

Old 03-26-2013, 01:53 PM   #34184
KansasBob
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post
I don't think anyone does it for weight savings but rather un-choking the bike. It's amazing how much those few mods really open it up.

How ever, if you like your 75mpg, you might not want to mess with it. I see no where near 75mpg, but then again, my right wrist might have something to do with that too.
Here is what Yamaha says they are for.................................

"An ECU-controlled EXUP® exhaust valve, along with an electronic intake control valve, broadens the powerband."

At lower RPMs the restrictions on the intake and exhaust give the bike more torque. I don't think removing the flapper, and the EXUP does anything to help the bike run better without a programmer anyway. IMHO unless you spend the full $1500 for a programmer, and a full exhaust system you are just butchering your bike, and making it worth less at resale, for nothing. It might actually run worse at lower rpms if you just do those mods with no exhaust or programmer. I LOVE the way my bike runs 100% stock! Nice and quiet too. The cost of the Very Few extra HP spending the $1500 gives you (just under half what I PAID for my whole bike with 700 miles on it) is money I can spend on riding trips and better gear.

Sure on my DRZ I did the 3x3 and threw some jets and a needle in it which made it run much better............ but it cost me $75.

Off my soap box.

KansasBob screwed with this post 03-26-2013 at 02:01 PM
KansasBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:58 PM   #34185
shep546
Gnarly Adventurer

$1500 exhaust?

dude you can get header, midpipe, muffler, programmer for $500...