Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2013, 10:20 PM   #34246
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Oddometer: 5,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by manfromthestix View Post
+1 on the used WR250R market being pretty tight - I looked for over a year without finding much locally, wasn't interested in travelling to Texas or Florida to get one, so finally resorted to looking at new bikes.
Yep, they only have bikes for sale in Texas when I wasn't looking. As soon as I became a buyer, only the really high priced bikes were available.

Quote:
I lucked into a local 2010 WR250R and got a great deal on it, just got all the paperwork finalized today . It has two years of warranty left on the Y.E.S. and got it swapped over for the cost of a 30 minute inspection.
Congratz

Quote:
I've noticed the dreaded fuel-injected low RPM lag (is there a proper term for this?) on the bike a couple times as I putzed around on it, gonna have to investigate that. It does the same kind of hiccup that my 1150GS does if you roll all the way off the throttle then back on at low engine speeds, like when you roll up real low RPM at an intersection then roll it back on; if you aren't feathering the clutch it will hiccup and die. I actually dropped it riding up a steep little embankment out of my field onto a dirt road, hiccupped and DOWN. Didn't hurt the bike but caught me by surprise. It's a bit easier to pick the WR up than the GS, I tell you .

Doug
Well, I've got both bikes you have and have never noticed it on either. The WR seems to bog down a little when its stone cold, but I haven't had the problem with the big GS.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Dahveed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:24 PM   #34247
EEKAMOUSE
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
Before I tighten my axle nut I just spin a wrench into the rear sprocket. This keeps the assembly against the adjusters.
EEKAMOUSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:47 AM   #34248
shep546
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Sand View Post
Pull the wheel towards the FRONT of the motorcycle - this will seat the axle onto the axle position posts/bolts.

1 - lift the motorcycle
2 - put a pencil mark where the axle is adjusted on each side
3 - loosen the axle - just enough to move the axle along the lugs
4 - adjust the axle position posts (loosen the fixing nuts, then turn in/out making sure the marks on each side are the same - compare to the pencil marks)
5 - pull the wheel towards the front of the motorcycle and make sure it's fully seated against both of the axle position bolts - might help to tighten the nut so you can slide the axle towards the front with difficulty
6 - check the chain tension

Repeat steps 4, 5 & 6 until chain tension is right

7 - carefully tighten the locking nuts for the axle position bolts so they won't move out of position
8 - while pushing the tire from behind, pushing the wheel/tire towards the front of the machine, insuring the axle is pressed firmly against the axle position bolts while tightening the axle nut slowly
9 - when axle nut is finally tightened, check everything - chain tension, marks aligned, look at it from behind and spin the tire and watch for wobble or look to see if the wheel looks properly aligned (vertical)

NO you're not done yet:
  • A clean chain is important
  • A properly lubed chain is equally important
Now you can go play in the dirt . . . enjoy!

Thanks a lot man,

my issue was I was keeping the axle nut totally backed off so the rear was sliding all over.
shep546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:52 AM   #34249
advmgm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 929
finally warm enough to get out so I took the WR out for a test last evening for about 1.5 hours.

Man, suspension technology sure has changed for the good in the 30 years since I was on anything that resembled a dual sport!

I confirmed there are some incredible dirt/gravel roads and lanes within two miles of my house here in northern Arkansas!!

I had a blast on one for about 15 miles before I decided I better turn around and head home.

Can you guys give me suggestions as to what to carry in my kit in case of a flat tire? I know front/rear spare tube, tire irons of some sort, patch kit for tube and some material to cover a slit in the tire, pump (have one of Slime units)? Anything else?

I made the right choice when I bought this machine.
advmgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:45 AM   #34250
UtahFox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Rim Locks & Air Pressure

So its standard practice to lower air pressure when you get on dirt, but I'm wondering if this means always? If you're on a dirt road VS. trails - hard pack VS. sand etc. How do rim locks play into this? If you're not doing any serious dirt riding, say at an OHV park or racing VS. dirt roads do you need to have rim locks installed?

Obviously I don't know a lot about this and I'd like to hear how you all do it.
UtahFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:50 AM   #34251
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot

Oddometer: 2,502
Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahFox View Post
So its standard practice to lower air pressure when you get on dirt, but I'm wondering if this means always? If you're on a dirt road VS. trails - hard pack VS. sand etc. How do rim locks play into this? If you're not doing any serious dirt riding, say at an OHV park or racing VS. dirt roads do you need to have rim locks installed?

I just run dirt pressure all the time with DOT knobbies. 12-15 psi or so.
cjbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:51 AM   #34252
UtahFox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbiker View Post
I just run dirt pressure all the time with DOT knobbies. 12-15 psi or so.
No rim locks?
UtahFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:53 AM   #34253
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot

Quote:
No rim locks?
I always run rim locks on little bikes with knobbies. Install the tire and rim lock, static balance and you're good to go.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:55 AM   #34254
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 9,129
Quote:

I run low(er) pressures, like 12F/15R most of the time with the MT21s, unless riding on the road for more than, say, 50 miles at a stretch.
I have HD (not ultraHD) tubes. Haven't had a problem.
Lower pressures are going to help your traction both front and rear on any surface that's dirt.
Rim lock IMO aren't needed on these little scooters. They just don't have enough torque to spin the rim.

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:58 AM   #34255
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid Dog View Post
Rim lock IMO aren't needed on these little scooters. They just don't have enough torque to spin the rim.
We may not have the torque to spin the tire on the rim, but you still can do it with the brakes. I run a rim lock to keep the tire on the wheel in case of a flat at high(er) speeds. I don't know if it really makes a difference, but it makes me feel better.

cjbiker screwed with this post 03-28-2013 at 10:29 AM
Old 03-28-2013, 10:00 AM   #34256
jawn
Taco Monster

Oddometer: 58
Cry Another question about X->R conversion

I've got an X and a set of OEM R wheels sitting in the garage. I'm planning on doing the conversion, but I think I overlooked the hub difference.

If I want to use the OEM R wheels, is there a way to do it and keep the X front rotor? I see mentions of the hub being different, but I'm too dumb to understand what that means. Am I better off selling the OEM R wheels and getting a dirt set from Wheeling Cycle Supply?
jawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:02 AM   #34257
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Question

Any good ideas for what to use for lift straps?
I never used them, but after the last dumping I'm going to install front and rear straps.
Plenty out there to buy but it just seelms it would be 'cheeper' to make some...

Old 03-28-2013, 10:40 AM   #34258
shep546
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid Dog View Post
Any good ideas for what to use for lift straps?
I never used them, but after the last dumping I'm going to install front and rear straps.
Plenty out there to buy but it just seelms it would be 'cheeper' to make some...

They come in handy if you're doing really hard stuff like hill climbs, deep mud etc...m
shep546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:47 AM   #34259
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

...uh, yes I realize that....

Old 03-28-2013, 11:16 AM   #34260
shep546
Gnarly Adventurer

Sorry I thought you asked what they were good for... my bad