Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2013, 07:03 AM   #34381
UtahFox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid Dog View Post
...the shock is a good enough unit according to Javier at Trail Tricks who revalved mine (and the forks). Best bet is to have the suspension massaged by a pro suspension shop. No need to spend a grand on an Ohlins or other IMO.
My stock stuff is totally plush now.
Mainly bringing it up as a point of conversation. The quote I got locally was pretty expensive, and if I can find something nice for say, $750 or lower, I might just do that.
UtahFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:08 AM   #34382
z@ch
Turn it up to eleven

Oddometer: 4,694
You aiming to have the most expensive WR evar or what, Utah?

z@ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:09 AM   #34383
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggemelos View Post
I picked up a 2012 WRR in February for the purposes of modifying it to be a light, long distance adventure bike. The plan is to ride it down to South America. I am pretty much done with my initial list of modifications. I even took it for a test trip camping this weekend in western Pennsylvania, it was damn cold. The only question I have left is regarding the suspension. I am not a racer and have to say the suspension feels pretty good, but a lot of people on this thread have upgraded their suspension. My only fear is that doing long distances with the bike loaded would quickly wear out a poor quality rear suspension, see all the stories of RTW riders on DR650s. I am about 150lbs and will be packing light. Is it worth upgrading the suspension, would it help the rear shock last longer? If I do go down that route, I was looking at WER or GoRace, I assume they are both fine.

Picture from this past weekend:
We were also banging around PA on Easter Sunday, albeit on the way home from a short trip. Actually passed a dually pulling a gooseneck trailer on I-76 with a ADV sticker in the back window. That cold rain suuuuucked!!!!!!!!!!

Regarding the shock, if you are just worried about it's longevity and it isn't so much a comfort issue, the stock rear shock seems quite durable.

I'm 220 pounds and beat on the thing regularly, to include small jumps and off road stuff. Never had one problem in 22,000 miles. No one I ride with or know has had any issues with the stock shock either.

The stock unit will be durable enough for your application.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:21 AM   #34384
UtahFox
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by z@ch View Post
You aiming to have the most expensive WR evar or what, Utah?

Yes. Yes I am :) But seriously, I'm most likely going to do nothing with the suspension for quite a while. The 'Travis' here in UT quoted me right around $750 for the shock so....

UtahFox screwed with this post 04-02-2013 at 07:29 AM
Old 04-02-2013, 07:26 AM   #34385
UtahFox
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
We were also banging around PA on Easter Sunday, albeit on the way home from a short trip. Actually passed a dually pulling a gooseneck trailer on I-76 with a ADV sticker in the back window. That cold rain suuuuucked!!!!!!!!!!

Regarding the shock, if you are just worried about it's longevity and it isn't so much a comfort issue, the stock rear shock seems quite durable.

I'm 220 pounds and beat on the thing regularly, to include small jumps and off road stuff. Never had one problem in 22,000 miles. No one I ride with or know has had any issues with the stock shock either.

This is nice to hear. I'm pretty light and so is my kit, the only thing I'm wondering about is will it be too stiff of a ride.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:33 AM   #34386
ggemelos
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Quote:

I camped near Coudersport and did some riding around Cherry Spring State Park and Cotton Point State Park. It was my first bike trip after moving to New York City from California. I have to say that it took quite a while to get out of densely populated areas, but it was nice when I woke up with no one around.

Great news regarding the suspension. I am definitely not looking to spend more money than I have to.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:14 AM   #34387
scottmac
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,502
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid Dog View Post
...the shock is a good enough unit according to Javier at Trail Tricks who revalved mine (and the forks). Best bet is to have the suspension massaged by a pro suspension shop. No need to spend a grand on an Ohlins or other IMO.
My stock stuff is totally plush now.

Javier is the guy i'm planning on sending my suspension to for work
here on the west coast.

He's highly recommended by some of the top district 36/37 enduro
riders plus he's owned and ridden a WRR extensively himself. He
knows what needs to be done.

I had an Ohlins rear shock on my 1990 CR250 but back in those days
I was racing it every weekend.
scottmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:14 AM   #34388
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 9,038
happyending

$750, Chricky! You should get both front and rear done for that and get a massage thrown in...

Rapid Dog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:17 AM   #34389
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmac View Post
Javier is the guy i'm planning on sending my suspension to for work
here on the west coast.

He's highly recommended by some of the top district 36/37 enduro
riders plus he's owned and ridden a WRR extensively himself. He
knows what needs to be done.

I had an Ohlins rear shock on my 1990 CR250 but back in those days
I was racing it every weekend.
Well...not so sure where Jav is right now, last I heard he was back home in South America. I don't think the Frazier Park shop is open at least not since the fall.
In any event, he is the man to go to.

Old 04-02-2013, 10:21 AM   #34390
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggemelos View Post
Great news regarding the suspension. I am definitely not looking to spend more money than I have to.
Yeah, this thread and often ADV in general seems more like a hodgepodge of sorta riders throwing money at shit that don't require it. If a novice comes along and reads this thread or any one of 1,000 like it, he would soon think that the motorcycle frame is pretty much the only thing worth salvaging from the piece of shit he just bought, and he had better start buying _______(insert shit he doesn't need here).

I'm 35 and have "only" been riding since I was 21. I've owned 10, 12 bikes in that time and have racked up well over 300,000 miles on a bike in the last 14 years. You know how many suspension components I've replaced? Zero. Exhaust components? Zero. Wheels? Zero. Engine mods / programmers / jetting? Zero. I guess I'm too stupid to understand that I need something else to enjoy my motorcycle other than gas and time... but I laugh every time I think about the amount of riding a guy could be doing for the $1500 suspension or the $500 exhaust he just put on.

I'm all for a guy's right to do what he wants to his shit, but read over this thread in the last few weeks an you can see a few guys who literally bought hop up components BEFORE they even had a goddamn WRR. That's like putting salt on your food before you taste it, for god's sake. If you ride it for 10,000 miles and then decide to try an upgrade, cool. If you trailer it home from the dealer and start unbloting shit while your odometer is at 0, you're a fool.

This is my second WRR and I've got 22,000 on it - granted I did buy it used though. I've added: barkbusters, a tool bag, and a skidplate; and I've proceeded to ride the ever loving shit out of it. I don't think dropping a bunch of money on the suspension or anything else would make it any more fun.

Opinions vary and I expect to be crucified in short order.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:24 AM   #34391
UtahFox
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Different strokes. I consider a day tinkering on the bike to be a good day.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:29 AM   #34392
rickcj7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 463
I know a few guys like that too damn cheap to do anything to there bike except ride it! Factory surely knows best is there reply, why would the factory put on exhaust and jetting and tires and etc... if it wasn't good?
Yes a stock bike will get you from point a to point b but a modded bike will make it much easier and more fun!

WR250R sold
FE450E sold
XT, NX, KLX, KLR, DR all long gone.
rickcj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:55 AM   #34393
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot

Oddometer: 2,403
Quote:
Yeah, this thread and often ADV in general seems more like a hodgepodge of sorta riders throwing money at shit that don't require it. If a novice comes along and reads this thread or any one of 1,000 like it, he would soon think that the motorcycle frame is pretty much the only thing worth salvaging from the piece of shit he just bought, and he had better start buying _______(insert shit he doesn't need here).

I'm 35 and have "only" been riding since I was 21. I've owned 10, 12 bikes in that time and have racked up well over 300,000 miles on a bike in the last 14 years. You know how many suspension components I've replaced? Zero. Exhaust components? Zero. Wheels? Zero. Engine mods / programmers / jetting? Zero. I guess I'm too stupid to understand that I need something else to enjoy my motorcycle other than gas and time... but I laugh every time I think about the amount of riding a guy could be doing for the $1500 suspension or the $500 exhaust he just put on.

I'm all for a guy's right to do what he wants to his shit, but read over this thread in the last few weeks an you can see a few guys who literally bought hop up components BEFORE they even had a goddamn WRR. That's like putting salt on your food before you taste it, for god's sake. If you ride it for 10,000 miles and then decide to try an upgrade, cool. If you trailer it home from the dealer and start unbloting shit while your odometer is at 0, you're a fool.

This is my second WRR and I've got 22,000 on it - granted I did buy it used though. I've added: barkbusters, a tool bag, and a skidplate; and I've proceeded to ride the ever loving shit out of it. I don't think dropping a bunch of money on the suspension or anything else would make it any more fun.

I agree with you 100%, people are different, and there are different reasons for everything. With that said, I bought my WR last fall and have not ridden it much at all yet, but I did send my suspension out to be redone for two reasons.

1. I've ridden the same trails on a stock KLX250, the KLX250 with lightly modified suspension, and on a KTM 200 with totally redone suspension. Obviously the last one is apples-to-oranges, but suspension work really pays off.
2. I knew if I didn't do the suspension before "riding season" starts here in the frozen north, I would never do it.
cjbiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:13 AM   #34394
shep546
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 215
Quote:

Yeah a lot of guys in this thread have more in farkles than my bike is worth... just now I asked about suspension tuning and everyone is telling me to remove my suspension and mail it to some guy... as if...
shep546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:08 PM   #34395
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Cool2

...to each there own I guess.
If you're satisfied with the suspension then that's great.
I never believed in all that remove and send it out crap either, until I did it once.
I'd say it has alot to do with your riding skillset and how much of a beating you can take.
It's all good...