Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2013, 03:07 PM   #34456
Attico
Wrong way 'round

Oddometer: 1,784
I use the clips on the rear fender. Put them as far back as you can and make that cross strap tight. As you put the front straps around the frame, give the a big tug....the rear clips will slide forward and be really secure.

I usedthe wrr heat sheild, but that won't work with an aftermarket exhaust. The shield will get scratched allot aswill the fender. It didn't bother me too much, but you can put some vinyl over the bodywork if you care to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecarnell View Post
Test fitted my new GL coyote bag - question to people that have mounted these onthe WR - how to you attach the rear strap? around the tail section or try and clip onto the fender?

Did I mount the rear bag correctly?

Pics would be appreciated.....

Also - do you need the supplied heat guard - or is the standard stock guard enough to keep the bag from melting?

I'm going to mount some eyelets on the old rear peg location to hold those straps down.

Thanks - Eric

Old 04-04-2013, 03:39 PM   #34457
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSBS View Post
I change oil and filter @ 3K mile intervals and measure out 1,400 ml and pour it into the bike. When bike is held level the oil level in the sight glass is about halfway. Mine has never leaked or used any oil, so I only give it a quick look occasionally by grabbing the right handlebar, righting the bike to a level position, bending over slightly and checking to see if I see oil in the glass.

The 1.4 L quantity given in the manual (for oil change with filter) seems spot on to me.
Agree with you re: the volume. I drain mine well on a stand with the bike level, measure the fresh oil with an accurate container, check the sight-glass every week or 2, and don't stress about it.

I change mine oil a bit more often than is necessary, every 2,500 - 3,000 km, and prefer to use Yamaha filters, but only because it is cheap, easy, and makes me feel good to do so.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:45 PM   #34458
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecarnell View Post
Test fitted my new GL coyote bag - question to people that have mounted these onthe WR - how to you attach the rear strap? around the tail section or try and clip onto the fender?

Also - do you need the supplied heat guard - or is the standard stock guard enough to keep the bag from melting?
Don't have a GL (wish I did), but my rear strap loops under the rear rack.

My heat shield never gets hot, and my Wolfman E-12 saddle bag rests on it without issue, other than very minor scuffing. It can be painted with Krylon Fusion paint if the scuffing bothers you. I'll paint mine once (right before I sell it).

jon_l screwed with this post 04-04-2013 at 04:03 PM
jon_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:52 PM   #34459
Red Sand
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
I change mine oil a bit more often than is necessary, every 2,500 - 3,000 km, and prefer to use Yamaha filters, but only because it is cheap, easy, and makes me feel good to do so.
I'm getting ready to perform the first oil change on my WR.

Besides getting oil, a filter, oil and crush washer, should I be replacing anything else like 0-rings or other seals/gaskets? Are there any really good online sources for these items? Does anyone recommend an aftermarket oil filter over the Yamaha filter?

I also plan on washing the machine, checking tire pressure, and spraying off the chain, degreasing it with chain cleaner then using an off road chain lube, then adjusting the chain, if necessary.

I have a used skid plate and hand guards to install also.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 2014 Triumph Scrambler ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 2013 Yamaha WR250R ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 1983 Yamaha XT250 ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Red Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:07 PM   #34460
UtahFox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446

My bike is pretty much done. Installed the HDB guards & Moose skid plate most recently, then today went and got the title switched over and my Utah plate. Heading down to the Mesquite area in a week for some dirt & poker touring :)

Almost forgot, I also installed a Trailtech Voyager on my dash. I have the ignition and wheel sensors installed, but don't think I really need water temp - may put that one in later. Since the OEM ODO has to be connected, I just mounted it to the back side of the dash. Really nice piece of kit which solved two problems for me; the inaccurate main computer (speed - ODO), and I wanted a hard mounted GPS.

UtahFox screwed with this post 04-04-2013 at 04:15 PM
UtahFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:54 PM   #34461
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,120
As I write this tonight it has been SNOWING again for the past 5 hours or so. I don't think I'm ever going to get to ride my new toy . I've been able to put 50 miles on it since I bought it almost 3 weeks ago, and had about two hours to futz with familiarizing myself with it and lowering it between work, family obligations, and the unrelenting snow/rain/cold weather!

But I still love it! I've been researching the Hatfield-McCoy Trails and Burning Rock Recreation Park in West Virginia, just a couple hours West of my home. Can't wait to go exploring!

Doug
Old 04-04-2013, 06:37 PM   #34462
Str8Laced
inspired & dreamin'

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahFox View Post

My bike is pretty much done. Installed the HDB guards & Moose skid plate most recently, then today went and got the title switched over and my Utah plate. Heading down to the Mesquite area in a week for some dirt & poker touring :)

Almost forgot, I also installed a Trailtech Voyager on my dash. I have the ignition and wheel sensors installed, but don't think I really need water temp - may put that one in later. Since the OEM ODO has to be connected, I just mounted it to the back side of the dash. Really nice piece of kit which solved two problems for me; the inaccurate main computer (speed - ODO), and I wanted a hard mounted GPS.
Looks good! The dual beams up front are a nice addition -- that's a look I liked on my boulevard barge.

'78 KZ-650 | '83 XJ-750 | '10 FXDF | '13 WR250R

"If you're gonna be a bad guy, you need to get bad guy stuff." -- my son at five years old
Str8Laced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:54 PM   #34463
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,723
>"anything else like 0-rings or other seals/gaskets?"

There is an o-ring on the oil filter cover... it should be good, I'd just take a look at it. Probably time to look at the air filter too.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:58 PM   #34464
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 789
Quote:
Originally Posted by manfromthestix View Post
As I write this tonight it has been SNOWING again for the past 5 hours or so. I don't think I'm ever going to get to ride my new toy . I've been able to put 50 miles on it since I bought it almost 3 weeks ago, and had about two hours to futz with familiarizing myself with it and lowering it between work, family obligations, and the unrelenting snow/rain/cold weather!

But I still love it! I've been researching the Hatfield-McCoy Trails and Burning Rock Recreation Park in West Virginia, just a couple hours West of my home. Can't wait to go exploring!

Doug
Hatfield McCoy is awesome.
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:24 PM   #34465
Cowgirl
Cougar on the prowl

Oddometer: 3,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Sand View Post

Besides getting oil, a filter, oil and crush washer, should I be replacing anything else like 0-rings or other seals/gaskets? Are there any really good online sources for these items? Does anyone recommend an aftermarket oil filter over the Yamaha filter?

I also plan on washing the machine, checking tire pressure, and spraying off the chain, degreasing it with chain cleaner then using an off road chain lube, then adjusting the chain, if necessary.

I have a used skid plate and hand guards to install also.
The manual says to replace the O rings every oil change but I just inspect them. I haven't replaced one yet.
A Cougar goes racing
Lead me not into temptation ............ just follow me, I know a short-cut.
Cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:04 AM   #34466
YZEtc
Feel lucky?

Oddometer: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Sand View Post

If you are servicing your machine with washing and lubing, you also need to get in the habit of servicing the air filter a lot, especially when riding off-road.
Lots of riders ignore this because it's tucked away inside of a plastic box out of view.

Buy the proper filter cleaner and foam air filter oil for the job and learn how to do this important maintenance item.
YZEtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:54 AM   #34467
Lotsahorses
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Sources

I looked at numerous vendors for the oil filters and struck out. Where do you guys get them? Also is there a favorite stand that works well for servicing the bike? I have the high tech milk crate with plywood top....
Lotsahorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:58 AM   #34468
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightZone View Post
>"anything else like 0-rings or other seals/gaskets?"

There is an o-ring on the oil filter cover... it should be good, I'd just take a look at it. Probably time to look at the air filter too.
Yeah, +1 on the air filter. I grew up riding/racing dirt in New Mexico and learned early on that a nice clean filter is a real performance boost. Plus, if you live in the country like we do, this can happen:

The ferking mice loaded up the airbox on my 1150GS with about two cups of dog chow. I marvel at how industrious the little bastards are; the air intake on that thing is a couple feet off the ground, it sits on it's centerstand, so they had to make how many trips up and over and around and into the intake to get it packed up like that. That would be like me climbing El Capitan 200 times in succession. And how the fook did they find this spot in the first place?? Little turd factories must roam EVERYWHERE relentlessly searching out hidey-holes. I left a toolbox open one night and the next day had a cup of chow in the bottom compartment, nicely piled in one corner. Like an idiot I once stored some unused grain for beer brewing in the same vicinity as my ski boots and look what happened:

So yeah, check your air filter for "foreign materials" often!

Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonrider3889 View Post
Hatfield McCoy is awesome.
It looks like it from a few RR posts I've looked at, and the Burning Rock park is even closer to me. I'd love to explore these places but I am a little leery of riding technical trails alone and don't know any other dirt riders in this area. I think I'll start at the Rattlesnake ORV area near Glasgow, VA (where the Blue Ridge Parkway crosses the James River) and see how it goes. Theres also another ORV area near Eagle Rock, VA that looks promising. Both are just 20 to 25 miles from home so I can ride the WR there and back.

This is a different world than I'm used to after living most of my life in the Rocky Mountain west - unlimited off-road riding on all kinds of public land. A friend of mine called last week and said he and his brother were headed to Moab for a week to ride and wondered if I wanted to come along. Well, yeah, DUH, but it's a 5000 mile round trip just to get there! Fookers are there right now. If you've never been to the Moab area to ride (bicycles or motorcycles) it should be on your "to do" list before you die, it is simply unbelievable.

Anyway, better get to work. I've got next Monday off (and my wife is working ) and it's supposed to be mid-70's, so I will finally get to try the WR250R out for real!

Happy Friday, all.

Doug
Old 04-05-2013, 05:49 AM   #34469
Daamud
AAAAAYYY!

Oddometer: 2,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotsahorses View Post
I looked at numerous vendors for the oil filters and struck out. Where do you guys get them? Also is there a favorite stand that works well for servicing the bike? I have the high tech milk crate with plywood top....
I normally get mine from Rocky Mountain ATV... Might not be the cheapest, but when ordering other items, I'll add some oil filters and other consumables to get up to the min $$ for free shipping.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:08 AM   #34470
KansasBob
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotsahorses View Post
There is a little weirdness going on with some of the aftermarket oil filter numbers for folks like me with a 2008. Yamaha had a different number the the 2008 and the 2009 up, then they changed the numbers to the same for all years. The last time I looked the Hi-flo web site still had different numbers.............. anyway I find the best deals on Hi-flo brand filters on ebay. If you buy 3 at a time it gets pretty cheap.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-YFZ45...278e9e&vxp=mtr

KansasBob screwed with this post 04-05-2013 at 06:24 AM
KansasBob is offline   Reply With Quote