Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2013, 09:10 AM   #34516
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot

Oddometer: 2,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by shep546 View Post
Do you know how much I should raise my front forks with the stock lowering adjustment? All the guides are for guys who threw the yama link in...
I don't. I would say to measure the height of the rear at some point before and after you adjust the shock, and lower the front the same amount. Be careful you don't lower the front so much that the front wheel bottoms out against the fender at full travel.

Oh, and that guide is incorrect where it says to "Tighten all of the bolts to 16.5ft-lb." The upper triple clamp bolts should be 17 ft-lbs and the lowers are 14 ft-lbs.
cjbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:34 AM   #34517
CJ smith
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Wheel Spokes

I should have just left the WR on its stand in the basement, but its almost riding season and I got the tinkering bug...
So I dug out the spoke tool and began playing the musical wheel harp. A few spokes were a little off(some had a high tone and some a low tone when struck) without a fancy torquing device or the necessary knowledge, theres no telling for sure. I tightened a few(or loosened?) a 1/2 to 3/4 turn, listened, tried a few more, and then I got the strange feeling that I Have No Idea What I Am Doing. What do you say fellas, did I just ruin a set of perfectly good wheels or is this "adjustment" reversible by bringing it to a pro?
CJ smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:39 AM   #34518
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Oddometer: 3,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by indypup View Post
I want to buy a Hoseless Vented Gas Cap for my 3.1 gal IMS tank for my WR250R because I have a tank bag and a steering stabilizer covering the top of the triple tree so I have no place to put the vent hose. Do you any of you know if the No Toil one will work? IF so which one? TIA

I emailed IMS and No Toil to see what they have to say about this...
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
indypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:01 AM   #34519
UtahFox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by shep546 View Post
Do you know how much I should raise my front forks with the stock lowering adjustment? All the guides are for guys who threw the yama link in...
According to this guy, 5/8".
UtahFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:55 AM   #34520
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,272
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ smith View Post
I should have just left the WR on its stand in the basement, but its almost riding season and I got the tinkering bug...
So I dug out the spoke tool and began playing the musical wheel harp. A few spokes were a little off(some had a high tone and some a low tone when struck) without a fancy torquing device or the necessary knowledge, theres no telling for sure. I tightened a few(or loosened?) a 1/2 to 3/4 turn, listened, tried a few more, and then I got the strange feeling that I Have No Idea What I Am Doing. What do you say fellas, did I just ruin a set of perfectly good wheels or is this "adjustment" reversible by bringing it to a pro?
This is why I have said 1000 times (often in this thread), if it isn't broke, don't fix it.

Just leave it alone as long as it spins true and you can't physically feel any spokes loose... and by "physically feel" I mean grasping the spoke and wiggling it, if it moves, tighten it and if it doesn't, don't. You don't need to loosen up anything you just did or "bring it to a pro". Just stop fucking with shit that don't require fucking wit'.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:12 PM   #34521
DaymienRules
Traffic target

Oddometer: 197
Quote:
You didn't ruin the wheel, it's not THAT precise. Put it on a stand to get the weight off of the wheel you're working on. Pick one spoke to start with, like the one just past the valve stem. Snug up that spoke, turning no more than a quarter of a turn., less if it is already tight. You'll get a feel for the correct torque pretty quickly, someone once told me to hold the wrench between two fingers like they're chopsticks. Then skip 2 spokes, and repeat on the third one. Go all the way around the wheel 3 times with this pattern, and each spoke should be about the same tension.
DaymienRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:29 PM   #34522
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,441
Quote:
So I dug out the spoke tool and began playing the musical wheel harp. A few spokes were a little off(some had a high tone and some a low tone when struck) without a fancy torquing device or the necessary knowledge, theres no telling for sure. I tightened a few(or loosened?) a 1/2 to 3/4 turn, listened, tried a few more, and then I got the strange feeling that I Have No Idea What I Am Doing. What do you say fellas
I must agree with you. Too much time on your hands Just polish it every day & leave the dang thing alone
AZ TOM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:51 PM   #34523
CJ smith
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
if it isn't broke, don't fix it.
Good advice, thanks guys.

If theres a speed wobble when I finally get out on the bike at least I know where to start looking.
CJ smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:41 PM   #34524
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
This is why I have said 1000 times (often in this thread), if it isn't broke, don't fix it.

Just leave it alone as long as it spins true and you can't physically feel any spokes loose... and by "physically feel" I mean grasping the spoke and wiggling it, if it moves, tighten it and if it doesn't, don't. You don't need to loosen up anything you just did or "bring it to a pro". Just stop fucking with shit that don't require fucking wit'.
good advice ^
Old 04-06-2013, 02:32 PM   #34525
Red Sand
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 251
My first maintenance day with the WR!
  • Washed the machine
  • Cleaned the chain
  • Lubed the chain
  • Changed the oil & filter
I tossed in 1.5 quarts of BMW 10-40 oil I bought for my other motorcycle but never used . . . will the Yamaha engine spit out that rancid crap from Bavaria? . . . . . .
When I was at the dealer Friday picking up my oil filter and stuff, I walked over to the Honda 650 and looked at it. That was the other machine I was considering buying but I bought the WR instead. After looking at it, I am convinced I made the best choice. I'm sure the Honda 650 is great but I'm already getting into a lot of trouble with just 24 hp, or whatever.

Red Sand screwed with this post 04-06-2013 at 04:11 PM
Red Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 04:12 PM   #34526
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,636
Pissed the WRR won't start...

After close to 10,000 miles of flawless running, I gave the WRR a shower this afternoon.
Son asked if he could ride it to the post office, so I gave it a last spray of the hose, dried
off the seat and handed it over.

crank crank crank crank and no start

crank crank crank crank

crank crank crank crank crank

nothing. Crap. I'd just got back from Death Valley, ran perfectly. Normally starts after about
2 cranks or less of the starter motor.

crank crank crank crank

crank crank crank crank

Damn. He took the XT225, and shouted back , well, at least you've got something
to work on!

crank crank crank crank crank crank crank crank crank crank crank crank crank crank crank crank crank crank crank crank crank crank crank crank

nothing.

So I grab the towel that's sitting on the luggage rack, and yank it off in disgust
only to spot the bright orange FMF exhaust plug I always put in before I wash a bike.

Pulled out the plug, crank PURRRRRRRRRRRR.

The WRR is hard to kill, but an exhaust plug will do it every time.

Next Trip: Divide & Conquer...

"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"
HardWorkingDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 04:26 PM   #34527
KansasBob
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 515
Quote:
Your wheel is fine. I laced my first wheel the other day and it was a full 1/2 inch off center when I was done. I kept working at it , and got it moved over the full 1/2 inch. in just a few min. You have to look at the end of the spoke as the end of a bolt.....then right to tight, and left to loosen.
KansasBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 04:36 PM   #34528
Just Bob
Been There Done That

Oddometer: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardWorkingDog View Post

Pulled out the plug, crank PURRRRRRRRRRRR.

Even funnier when your doing that with a high compression kick start only YZ250.

Multiple times!

Doh....
Old 04-06-2013, 04:42 PM   #34529
DaymienRules
Traffic target

Oddometer: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Bob View Post
Even funnier when your doing that with a high compression kick start only YZ250.

Multiple times!

Doh....
Same here. And I've watched as a friend did the same thing too. Its funny when it happens to someone else.
DaymienRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 04:49 PM   #34530
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot

Oddometer: 2,318
My KTM 200 will start with the exhaust plug in. Then I take off and wonder why the bike won't pull like it should
cjbiker is offline   Reply With Quote