Oddometer: 153
High in the Creek

Old 04-09-2013, 05:52 AM   #34577
huron52
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sewerat View Post
Does anyone know or have a link to the whereabouts of a gytr muffler? My local dealer is clueless.

Or if anyone has a nice used one
PM sent to ya!
huron52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:53 AM   #34578
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,124
After owning my WR for over three weeks the weather, work, home duties, etc. finally aligned and I was able to take a 90 mile ride yesterday, about half of it on dirt roads . I am lucky enough to live about 3/4 of a mile from National Forest, my gateway to fun on the WR. The roads are usually pretty well maintained, but after all the cold wet weather we've had, inluding about 24 inches of snow in March, they were pretty rough with trees down, pot holes, rocks sticking out, etc., just what I was looking for!

Nice roads:

Better roads :

Really good roads :

And finally, a little too much :

It doesn't show very well in the photo, but the pool is dammed by rough, blocky vertical ridges of bedrock that are parallel to the crossing and the pool in the center looked to be about three feet deep. I will have to go back later this spring when the water is a bit lower and maybe have someone else along to help if things don't go as planned.

Found some pretty streams running along great, rough roads:

My wife always gives me crap for having a bike clogging up the pretty scenery shots, so here's a shot for her:

I'm a geologist so had to stop for the requisite cool rox shot (entrance to Douthat State Park):

We need a new bridge across our creek to our house, so my neighbor said, "Hey, I've got one in stock! You should ride down there and check it out!" He welded up some house trailer axles and a tongue to this this and actually towed it about 20 miles from where the highway department removed it, all on narrow little public roads without any pilot cars or permission... It's ferking HUGE ; I have no idea how he got it down there. Anyway, it's too much for what we need.

I spent some time dialing in the suspension (lowering, Yamalink, forks raised, damping, etc.) and was REALLY pleased with how the WR handled all the ruts, rocks, big pot holes, loose gravel, and mud on this ride. Yes, I'm aware it's time for a new rear tire; got 'em, just haven't had time to put them on yet. The WR250R inspired a lot of confidence and was a HOOT to ride fast on the dirt roads! That little thing will roar when you open it up, wooot! I felt really good on it even though I've only ridden it about 150 miles so far, it just fits and works.

I had an MX-style helmet with goggles on and had to do some 55 - 65 mph roads to link dirt sections, that wasn't so comfy even though the bike never faltered and would go as fast as I wanted it to go. I even got to experience the pleasure of sucking my first bee of the season into my helmet and the resulting panic stop to remove it.

What a fantastic bike, I'm very pleased with it and can't wait to ride it more and find even rougher roads and trails!

Doug
Old 04-09-2013, 07:38 AM   #34579
SCExpat
Ex-expat

Oddometer: 576
Rocky Mountain ATV

If anyone needs a battery.....

AGM No Maintenance Battery clearance items are now available in limited quantities for your 2008 YAMAHA WR250X at special clearance pricing!

Clearance price: $23.99

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...-Battery-CTZ7S
SCExpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:08 AM   #34580
scottmac
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefyInertia View Post
High in the Creek
I love Clear Creek. If there was ever one place specifically designed for
riding motorcycles offroad it would have to be The Creek.
scottmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:13 AM   #34581
BaronVonDarrin
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 560
Looking at one of these bikes to gift to my girlfriend. Would a wr250r make a good first dual sport bike for someone with even less experience than myself? Will it be too heavy? Can I lighten one to some significant degree through ditching factory exhaust etc? Really looking for something easy to maintain too as she is not mechanically inclined like myself.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:35 AM   #34582
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronVonDarrin View Post
Looking at one of these bikes to gift to my girlfriend. Would a wr250r make a good first dual sport bike for someone with even less experience than myself? Will it be too heavy? Can I lighten one to some significant degree through ditching factory exhaust etc? Really looking for something easy to maintain too as she is not mechanically inclined like myself.
Not really sure what it weighed when I first got mine, but I know I took off somewhere about 15-18 lbs of crap..plastic skid plates, reflectors, rear pegs mounts, etc. I also went to a FMF exhaust.

With putting a real skid plate back on, and hand guards, mine end up around 299 lbs, with a little over 1/2 tank of gas..IIRC.

I feel that the beauty of the WRR, is that is does not feel like a 300 lbs bike once rolling. I had my DRZ400 down to around the same 300 lbs, but you felt every pound of it while riding.
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:52 AM   #34583
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,841
Quote:
Depends on her height and her weight? Is she tall enough to ride a stock WRR? What's her physical build stature like? Putting a new rider on a bike that is too tall and heavy is just asking for issues and isn't helping them learn. Get them on a bike they can flat foot while they are learning and is preferably on the lighter side.

If she's on the petite side then I would suggest something more in line like the XT225/XT250, Super Sherpa or CRF230L. All of these have much lower seat heights and are very newbie friendly for a new rider. The XT225 comes in around 235lbs, so its very light and easy to handle. We had a friend borrow our XT to learn how to ride and she was definitely height challenged.

The Honda CRF250L has a lower seat height than the WRR and IMOP engine characteristics that lead it to be more newbie friendly. The power is lower in the rev ranged and you don't have to rev it as high. However, it is about 20lbs heavier than the WRR. Again, if height is an issue, then this still isn't the bike. Stick with one of the smaller 225-250 air cooled models I listed above.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:01 AM   #34584
shep546
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 215
The wrr is a tall expensive bike for a noobie, especially if she's a little girl...
shep546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:09 AM   #34585
ET-VT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post
The XT225 comes in around 235lbs, so its very light and easy to handle.
I have a really hard time believing that. Yamaha used to claim a dry weight of 238 pounds, but when they switched to a wet weight on the XT250, they upped it to 291. I can't imagine the 250 weighs that much more than the 225.

Still, it's a very easy bike to ride and the seat height is appropriate for my 5'3" wife. I wouldn't want to ride a WRR without a 31" inseam or so, along with some off-road experience.
ET-VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:31 AM   #34586
UtahFox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmac View Post
I love Clear Creek. If there was ever one place specifically designed for
riding motorcycles offroad it would have to be The Creek.
I liked the pic, so did some research. Some sites are saying its closed due to an old asbestos mine. Is it only part of the area that's closed?
UtahFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:43 AM   #34587
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by ET-VT View Post
I have a really hard time believing that. Yamaha used to claim a dry weight of 238 pounds, but when they switched to a wet weight on the XT250, they upped it to 291. I can't imagine the 250 weighs that much more than the 225.

Still, it's a very easy bike to ride and the seat height is appropriate for my 5'3" wife. I wouldn't want to ride a WRR without a 31" inseam or so, along with some off-road experience.
True, they claimed 238 dry and yeah I wouldn't think the 225 is really that much less than the 250. The XT overall though definitely "feels" like a light bike regardless. My 5'4" wife can ride my WRR, but its all she can do touch at stops and she said it just doesn't "fit" her. She's actually struggling off road with the CRF between its extra height and weight compared to the XT. She's been riding for 10 years and is much more comfy on the XT225, but she loves the motor in the CRF. We'll see which one she decides to take when it comes to our trip out West this year on the DS bikes.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:53 AM   #34588
scottmac
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahFox View Post
I liked the pic, so did some research. Some sites are saying its closed due to an old asbestos mine. Is it only part of the area that's closed?
It's been closed to riding/public use by the BLM for a couple of years now
under the guise of it being a health hazard exposure to people from
naturally occurring asbestos fibers. The main county roads through the
area are still open and legal to ride thanks to the San Benito County
Board of Supervisers standing up and telling the BLM to FO.

The real fact is that people have been riding, hunting and mining down
there for decades and ther has never been one recorded case of
asbestosis.

The BLM has their own agenda in their works to restrict access
permanently into the area. With miles of old abandoned mine
shafts my guess is some kind of toxic underground storage dump,
possibly nuclear is in the works. The BLM has spent millions of
taxpayer dollars on building a special decontamination site down there
already.
scottmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:10 AM   #34589
KansasBob
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 515
Quote:
Suzuki DR200s are one of the best starter bikes out there. Cheap, low maint, fairly light, and low seat height. Not much sex appeal but good solid machines.
My wife learned on one.
KansasBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:20 PM   #34590
advmgm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 860
got out on a 75 mile adventure this last Sunday morning. Life is good on the WR250R.