Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2013, 05:11 PM   #34651
mpatch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sewerat View Post
http://www.mx1canada.com/mitas-e07-d...rear-tire.html

14,000kms and counting. Still useable again this summer. Great tire for everything except the real slick stuff
Still not sure why nobody sells them stateside.
mpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:54 PM   #34652
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot

Oddometer: 2,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpatch View Post
Any recommendations on a cheaper slab tire? I have a couple of quick high mileage trips (about 5k miles total) this summer planned that are mostly slab and see no point in burning up my knobbies. Hoping to find a rear that I can get over 6k out of.
I've been real happy with the Shinko 705 on my KLR for mostly pavement riding. I got over 6000 miles out of the rear. The lighter, lower torque WRR should easily surpass that.
cjbiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:08 PM   #34653
Rider_WV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbiker View Post
I've been real happy with the Shinko 705 on my KLR for mostly pavement riding. I got over 6000 miles out of the rear. The lighter, lower torque WRR should easily surpass that.
The shinko 705 or full bore m40 is a good slab tire and fine in gravel. I can get 12k front and 6k rear on a DL650 works out perfect two rears to one front. That kind of mileage would be easy on a wr. If my wr was my main commuter it would have 705s spooned on.
Rider_WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:02 PM   #34654
lammy
lammy

Oddometer: 4
Question New computer advice

I have been looking into getting a new computer for the WR. I have heard that the speedometer can be off by quite a bit. Has anyone found one they really like. I have been looking at trail tech. Any advice would be helpful.
lammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:54 PM   #34655
viper770
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 568
yes a garmin gps lol
MY SPOT LOCATION http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...vi71zS820h7TbU
viper770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:46 PM   #34656
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torontorocko View Post
Do you mean K&N?
Wow, I'm retarded, yeah. Not sure where my brain was on that one. K and N.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:54 AM   #34657
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider_WV View Post
The shinko 705 or full bore m40 is a good slab tire and fine in gravel. I can get 12k front and 6k rear on a DL650 works out perfect two rears to one front. That kind of mileage would be easy on a wr. If my wr was my main commuter it would have 705s spooned on.
+1 on Shinkos, I've run several sets on my 1150GS and have been very pleased with them. They're half the price of Metzler Tourance and comparable tires and last just as long. The tread pattern is a bit blockier (and thus noisier) than some comparables, but I like that because I ride two-up on a lot of ratty asphalt and gravel. We get a lot of rain here too and they work great in the wet. I've got a set of Shinko 244s for my WR but am waiting until I've completely burned the Michelins off before putting the new tires on.

These are the radials - they make a bias-ply version but I've never used those since the GS is tubeless and radials are the recommended tire.

Doug
Old 04-12-2013, 05:24 AM   #34658
Red Sand
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by manfromthestix View Post
These are the radials - they make a bias-ply version but I've never used those since the GS is tubeless and radials are the recommended tire.
Doug
New tires excite me . . . new parts excite me . . . I just hope when my fuel tank arrives at work I have a box of Kleenex nearby when I open the package.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:40 AM   #34659
KansasBob
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammy View Post
I have been looking into getting a new computer for the WR. I have heard that the speedometer can be off by quite a bit. Has anyone found one they really like. I have been looking at trail tech. Any advice would be helpful.
You can't "replace" you head unit, it's part of the the engine management system. You can buy a speedo DRD for $70 and make the stock unit 100% perfect.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikH6Shk3u44
KansasBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:59 AM   #34660
Torontorocko
Ordinary Average Guy

Oddometer: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Sand View Post
New tires excite me . . . new parts excite me . . . I just hope when my fuel tank arrives at work I have a box of Kleenex nearby when I open the package.
OMG! I'm exactly the same! Everything about my bike excites me..
Old 04-12-2013, 10:35 AM   #34661
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Sand View Post
I'm totally with you! I usually take pictures, as you may have noticed from the tire photo above. I was so excited about reducing the noise my GS made with a Two Brothers Racing pipe on it that I photographed the re-pack kit when it arrived. I love it when the box has motorsickle stuff on it:

The re-pack kit didn't quiet that thing down a single decibel, so the Y-pipe and can have lived in a box in my shed ever since. That was a waste of $$$.

According to the FedEx tracking site my new awesome motorcycle stand should be here this afternoon, so I'll photodocument that as well!

Doug
Old 04-12-2013, 10:41 AM   #34662
Red Sand
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by manfromthestix View Post
According to the FedEx tracking site my new awesome motorcycle stand should be here this afternoon, so I'll photodocument that as well!

Doug
Mine too! But my stand is arriving at work and this is my day off - I'm hoping when I go to pick it up later today that nobody will drag me in and put me to work!
Old 04-12-2013, 11:15 AM   #34663
ba_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sewerat View Post
http://www.mx1canada.com/mitas-e07-d...rear-tire.html

14,000kms and counting. Still useable again this summer. Great tire for everything except the real slick stuff
You're running the 120/80's? How much of a size difference is this from stock? Similar?

Are you running these or true knobbies for the RR?
Old 04-12-2013, 12:08 PM   #34664
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by ba_ View Post
You're running the 120/80's? How much of a size difference is this from stock? Similar?

Are you running these or true knobbies for the RR?
Stock on on WRR is 120/80(rear).
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:10 PM   #34665
Sewerat
Cert. bike whore

Oddometer: 1,208
I know Mitas claims they measure off the carcass not the tread so I'm guessing these would be taller then stock, but I dunno I never had the deathwings. I will be running a brand new full knobbie, well at least as new as it takes to get there from my house.