Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2013, 09:37 AM   #34726
dnsjo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Finally got done with chores and family duties last night at about 5:30, so took a short 60 mile loop through the Virginia country-side and ended up paralleling the Blue Ridge Parkway above Buena Vista (MM45 on the BRP). Tried to get artistic with a sunset motion shot, damn near crashed, and it's even blurry:

Why didn't you stop and put out that forest fire?
dnsjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:40 AM   #34727
ruppster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by More CowBell View Post
Ok, I have had a 08 WR250R for a few weeks now. I have had a lot of bikes in the past. I knew going into this that it didnít have much power. I have 13/45 gearing. The speed-O is way off, like indeacated 80mph is 68mph on the GPS. Is this the norm? The bike has just over 6000 miles on it, probaly more like 5000 or so. So my big Qustion is, can I ride this bike all day at almost full trottle without blowing it up. And how long can I do this till it needs a rebuild? The motor and pipe is all stock. I donít want to spend the money on a pipe and programmer for just a little more power. It dosent seem to me to be worth the money. Tell me what you think.
Stock is 13/43 gearing and the speedos are usually 7-8% off, so your figures seem reasonable. Mine is geared at 14/48 and I run at 65-70 mph for long stretches, much more seems to be wringing it.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:56 AM   #34728
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnsjo View Post
Finally got done with chores and family duties last night at about 5:30, so took a short 60 mile loop through the Virginia country-side and ended up paralleling the Blue Ridge Parkway above Buena Vista (MM45 on the BRP). Tried to get artistic with a sunset motion shot, damn near crashed, and it's even blurry:

Why didn't you stop and put out that forest fire?
I didn't even know there was one until someone at work asked if my house was in danger of burning. WTF? OH, no, we're ~20 miles west of that spot. I'm surprised anything would burn as wet as it's been! HEY - maybe I caused it?? I was riding up there, maybe my WR was shooting flames and I didn't know it! I did have it wrung out pretty hard a few times.

Here's some cool video - my son is a pilot and loves stuff like this. I'd agree, the helo pilot was on his game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aT7Y0Aul_bs

And I'm just getting started . . . I already have a big bore kit, new bar & bar mount, rear sprocket, engine/FI computer, air filter, slip-on, tires, rack, panniers, and other items in the shopping carts . . . and this is already after spending $1200 on rider gear . . . I think it would have been cheaper to take up crack or something . . . so I wonder, does the spending have a terminus?

Obviously you've never owned a BMW GS . I'm not done yet and I've owned the bike for YEARS!

Hey, thanks for the tips on headlight adjustment, and thanks for the comment on the photo! It was a beautiful night; now it's raining again. That should help with the fire.

Doug

Old 04-15-2013, 11:00 AM   #34729
Revvy
Okayest Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Chain adjustment for non-standard suspension

I'm new here, and I've flipped through this thread, but haven't found what I'm looking for. I've seen a lot of 'how to' chain adjustments, but I'm not sure if my particular case is different:

I bought my WR250R with an aftermarket rear suspension set up (Revol out of Washington State) that is lower than factory. When I attempt to adjust my chain as per the instructions by pressing up on the chain to the bottom of the swing arm, the chain touches the swing arm guard. I feel like this would happen on a standard suspension bike, so it makes me feel like my chain is not correct.

Also, I have non-stock gearing (13/47). Wouldn't this change how the adjustment should be performed as well?

Not only am I new the to WR, I'm new to bikes in general. If someone could point me in the right direction on how to properly set this chain up, I'd really appreciate it.

Also, on my new chain, it looks like it has wear signs on the inside loop of the chain. Is that normal? The gold plating is wearing off on the side where it meets the gearing.
Revvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:33 AM   #34730
Sewerat
Cert. bike whore

Oddometer: 1,223
Check the underside of you swing arm at the front near the pivot point. That is where the wear always occurs on the guard(seal). As the suspension is compressed, the swing arm moves up to parallel with the ground, it is at that point that the chain is at its tightest position and wears the guard on the bottom, if you go beyond that point it begins to wear the top more, but it is very seldom that you would ever be long at this point. To me it sounds like your chain may be a little loose but generally with these bikes, loose is better to a point.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:42 AM   #34731
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,859
More Cowbell - Mine's at 43,xxx miles and has never burned a drop of oil and doesn't smoke at all. It does feel a bit down on power, not sure if its just needing a valve adjustment or if its finally ready for a top end. Might get her back together and go for a ride this weekend.
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:13 PM   #34732
UtahFox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Sand View Post

And I'm just getting started . . . I already have a big bore kit, new bar & bar mount, rear sprocket, engine/FI computer, air filter, slip-on, tires, rack, panniers, and other items in the shopping carts . . . and this is already after spending $1200 on rider gear . . . I think it would have been cheaper to take up crack or something . . . so I wonder, does the spending have a terminus?
Depends on what you need the bike for, how much money you have to spend, and I've heard whether or not you're married. For me, my bike is my daily driver, my weekend getaway to the desert/mountains, and my long distance tourer. It has to do it all - consequently I've spent a lot.

Here's a pic of my dash, complete with hidden OEM ODO and my Trailtech Voyager. The Highway Dirtbike setup is new too. I have a small fuse panel on the way so I can get USB power on board and clean up my battery terminals, gearing and tires (of course) in the near future.

I have no problem with someone throwing money at this bike, just because it's little doesn't change the fact that I need it to do more than the guy who goes and rides OHV areas on the weekend. Do what you want - don't worry what other people think.
UtahFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:16 PM   #34733
UtahFox
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronVonDarrin View Post
well I am 6 even and shes shorter than I am so maybe not. Would lowering it with a link help? I believe she is 5'8''.
Inseam matters more than height. I'm 31", I lowered the bike 1" and I'm on the balls of my feet, one foot flat if the other is on the footpad.
Old 04-15-2013, 02:23 PM   #34734
KustomizingKid
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 669
Buddy just bought an 08 X and I get to ride it all week.
Old 04-15-2013, 03:46 PM   #34735
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,725
>"Ok, I have had a 08 WR250R for a few weeks now. I have had a lot of bikes in the past. I knew going into this that it didnít have much power. I have 13/45 gearing. The speed-O is way off, like indeacated 80mph is 68mph on the GPS. Is this the norm? The bike has just over 6000 miles on it, probaly more like 5000 or so. So my big Qustion is, can I ride this bike all day at almost full trottle without blowing it up. And how long can I do this till it needs a rebuild? The motor and pipe is all stock. I donít want to spend the money on a pipe and programmer for just a little more power. It dosent seem to me to be worth the money. Tell me what you think"

IMHO: Spend the money on the pipe, header and fuel programmer. It makes the bike perform differently... and I mean big differently. A 5 to 7 Hp gain on the stock 250 engine is pretty substantial. Rest of the performance gain is simply taking stuff off the bike and opening up the airbox.

>"The speed-O is way off, like indeacated 80mph is 68mph on the GPS. Is this the norm?"

Unfortunately...yes... but you can buy a 'speedo-healer' from 12 O'-Clock labs (or another vendor). This is something that Yamaha should have programmed into their ECU. Bummer!

Sticking with a 13 tooth front sprocket, 47 or 48 is the right size rear. (IMHO Stuff)
Old 04-15-2013, 04:06 PM   #34736
UtahFox
Gnarly Adventurer

>"The speed-O is way off, like indeacated 80mph is 68mph on the GPS. Is this the norm?"

>>>Unfortunately...yes... but you can buy a 'speedo-healer' from 12 O'-Clock labs (or another vendor). This is something that Yamaha should have programmed into their ECU. Bummer!

I replaced my ODO completely with one that calculates speed & distance via a wheel sensor + GPS. Admittedly the more expensive solution, but I couldn't see spending $80 bux on the dongle and just get that one feature out of it. I plan on using my phone for city/hwy navigation, and maps for the backcountry.
Old 04-15-2013, 04:10 PM   #34737
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahFox View Post

I replaced my ODO completely with one that calculates speed & distance via a wheel sensor + GPS. Admittedly the more expensive solution, but I couldn't see spending $80 bux on the dongle and just get that one feature out of it. I plan on using my phone for city/hwy navigation, and maps for the backcountry.
But you left the OEM speedo connected, right? Doesn't the WRR/X need this to be there?
Old 04-15-2013, 04:12 PM   #34738
UtahFox
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
But you left the OEM speedo connected, right? Doesn't the WRR/X need this to be there?
Yeah, it's mounted on the other side of the dash, you can see the ass end of it below the Voyager in the pic above. I'm going to cover that hole at some point. I'm only mounting a small USB port on the dash, so I have plenty of room and its buttoned down pretty good up there.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:52 PM   #34739
ba_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sewerat View Post
Check the underside of you swing arm at the front near the pivot point. That is where the wear always occurs on the guard(seal). As the suspension is compressed, the swing arm moves up to parallel with the ground, it is at that point that the chain is at its tightest position and wears the guard on the bottom, if you go beyond that point it begins to wear the top more, but it is very seldom that you would ever be long at this point. To me it sounds like your chain may be a little loose but generally with these bikes, loose is better to a point.
What does wear at the back of the guard mean? That it's just doing its job?
Old 04-15-2013, 06:02 PM   #34740
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot

Oddometer: 2,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
I do. Offer away.
Thanks, I've got one on the way.
cjbiker is offline   Reply With Quote