User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2013, 04:47 AM   #34771
oxygenrace
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 68
Clutch Question

I had to jump start my bike yesterday due to a dead battery. I left the key on by accident. Bike didn't roll that easily with clutch in while in 2nd gear, does that mean my lever cable is loose and the lever isn't pulling the clutch plates apart enough? Is that adjusted at the lever? thx
oxygenrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:11 AM   #34772
YZEtc
Feel lucky?

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxygenrace View Post
I had to jump start my bike yesterday due to a dead battery. I left the key on by accident. Bike didn't roll that easily with clutch in while in 2nd gear, does that mean my lever cable is loose and the lever isn't pulling the clutch plates apart enough?
It's normal clutch drag.
Happens on a brand-new bike, too.
YZEtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:43 AM   #34773
bogboy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Rear Blinkers

Anyone have a way of mounting rear blinkers on bike? I want to keep existing rear fender but the plastic holding the blinker smashed off. I really want to keep the fender. I would love to see a picture of something. Thanks
bogboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:48 AM   #34774
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Sand View Post
I've thought a lot about this comment - thank you.

There will always be room in the garage for another one.

My zeal to pour money into this machine is fading fast. With the new tires, I'll have everything checked off on my "add/replace first" list and so I think I'll just see how far I can go with it "almost stock."

On another note, am I the only one here who's envisioned transforming the extra, ground-level bedroom into a dedicated motorcycle garage complete with wide access door to the back yard?

When I mentioned this to wifey, she stopped what she was doing and expressed a few words of serious concern for my mental health.

Some people just don't get it and . . . hey, that's okay.
It's all about balance, Yin and Yang, push and pull, flush-with-cash and broke, etc. My wife keeps me grounded like that too, love that lady!

I built a new house when I lived in Wyoming and got to build the garage I wanted with enough space for cars, bikes, carpentry work, and included a sink for washing up (well, specifically for beer brewing ). I sold that house and moved to Virginia where I now have a falling down 90-year-old farmhouse with a garage/shed that's a bit scary to go into. No power, no lights, non-level concrete, riddled with mice, etc. The house is shite but the land is outstanding and we've about paid it off. The plan is to build a new house, starting with the garage with an apartment above it. We'll live in the apartment while the old house is torn down and the new one is built. My wife is very cool with this, but I don't think she yet suspects that the garage will have a dedicated bay just for motorcycles, a wood stove, and a workshop area including a half bath - toilet and beer brewing sink . I think she'll be OK with all this so long as I keep the bikes out of the bedrooms .

Doug
Old 04-18-2013, 07:27 AM   #34775
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxygenrace View Post
I had to jump start my bike yesterday due to a dead battery. I left the key on by accident. Bike didn't roll that easily with clutch in while in 2nd gear, does that mean my lever cable is loose and the lever isn't pulling the clutch plates apart enough? Is that adjusted at the lever? thx
Clutch drag is most apparent on cold bikes and is normal. Since the clutch is submerged in oil, and the oil is cold and thicker, the plates stick together and cause drag. As soon as the engine oil gets a little heat, this goes away.

Next time, keep the bike in N as you start pushing in only pop in 2nd right before you are about to pop the clutch.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:48 AM   #34776
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 9,129
Thumb goodinfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsteiger View Post
My WR250R Tuning Journey

So after messing with my FMF programmer and dealing with engine cut off issues ...
Thanks so much for posting this. To answer MPATCH's comment, well, not everyone has the time nor the access to a dyno.
We're talking between 2 and 4HP on this tiddler...

rsteiger - so you've experienced cut out with the FMF nanny too.
That's one reason I opted to use the Athena module that came with the kit.
I always had cut-out incidents with the FMF, and disliked it's vague adjustment and info.
Using the Athena module, the bike started and ran great from the get-go.
(As I mentioned before, only a slight warm up is required before the Athena settles in.)
I thought about fiddlin' with the nanny again, but now I'm gonna pass.

Thanks again for the info.

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:29 AM   #34777
RichardU
Let's Ride

Oddometer: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post
My wife and I went up to N. GA for the weekend so she could spend some time on her new to her CRF250L and start to bond with it. I took my WRR up there ...
Glad to hear you're having fun. I think I'm about to sell my WR250 with the TR big bore. Just not riding it enough. Let me know if you know anyone looking.
RichardU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:52 AM   #34778
UtahFox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post
My wife and I went up to N. GA for the weekend so she could spend some time on her new to her CRF250L and start to bond with it. I took my WRR up there for myself. They seem to make a nice pair together!
Thanks makes two pairs :) Really nice picture, the two of you seem very happy. Great way to spend time together, I'm guessing that there probably aren't a lot of wives that ride these.
UtahFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:16 AM   #34779
Jonathan75
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Big Guy - Little WR250R

I know somewhere in this "mega thread" there may be an answer to this but I am not having any luck finding it. Does anyone have any experience and or opinion how one of these bikes would fit/work for a 6'5" 260lb. guy. I am currently riding an F800GS. I do not want to get rid of it just want something little lighter and more nimble with FI. I am looking to get one ASAP. i guess wondering mostly about the power is 28hp enought to haul me and some gear around? Any opinion or personal experience would be great to hear about. Thanks.
Jonathan75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:19 AM   #34780
viper770
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 575
i talked to a guy that weights 275 and hes having a blast on his and i know 3 guys that have them set up for advriding and they have tons of camping gear on theres and the bike does just fine dont worry about just get on it and ride the piss out of it lol the bike loves it
MY SPOT LOCATION http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...vi71zS820h7TbU
viper770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:34 AM   #34781
Jonathan75
Adventurer

Thanks for the feed back.I am definetly guilty of over thinking things just trying to get some peoples opions before i make the leap.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:37 AM   #34782
viper770
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 575
i was thinking the same as you where till a freind of mine let me take his for a spin 24 hours later i bought mine at the time i weighted 211 pounds but i lost some weight and now down to 194 and i also shave off some weight on the bike as well she about 13 pounds lighter as well
MY SPOT LOCATION http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...vi71zS820h7TbU
viper770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:55 AM   #34783
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 9,129
...my buddy, the one that talked me off a TE610 and into a WR weighs 220+ if that's any indication. The suspension will handle it. The motor will as well.
Where are you located? I know one that's going on the block in SoCal soon...

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:13 PM   #34784
ruppster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan75 View Post
I know somewhere in this "mega thread" there may be an answer to this but I am not having any luck finding it. Does anyone have any experience and or opinion how one of these bikes would fit/work for a 6'5" 260lb. guy. I am currently riding an F800GS. I do not want to get rid of it just want something little lighter and more nimble with FI. I am looking to get one ASAP. i guess wondering mostly about the power is 28hp enought to haul me and some gear around? Any opinion or personal experience would be great to hear about. Thanks.
I'm only 6'2" and 202 nekkid. I had to raise the bars a significant amount to be comfortable standing (30mm risers and a little higher bars). It is a very comfortable bike with a Seat Concepts seat installed, the seat to peg distance is very reasonable for taller folks, not "cramped" like the new Honda 250 I sat on.
As for power, it is great on back roads and off road. You do need to keep it revved up a little, don't dog it. Prepare to be underwhelmed at 55-60 mph on the street. It will quickly run up to & along there all day, but that's where it is happiest to stay. I really like mine and ride it long distances on pavement to get to trails, but its no powerhouse. It's relatively gutless in 5th and 6th, but they are just for cruising. Riding a WRR is an exercise in momentum, shift down & keep it if you've got it. You're not going to roll the throttle at 60 and quickly approach 80 to pass a car like you can on your 800GS. Mine is geared at 14/48, a little lower than stock, and will go 80mph if I can find a long enough straight stretch, but normally it stays around 60, I'm sure it will with some camping gear as well.
I feel it is a better fit for me (both height and riding style) than the KLR650 it replaced. I would think it would fit you very well as a more off road bike than your 800GS. You should be able to throw it around with ease compared to your 800 as well.
That's just my $0.02 after having mine & putting about 3000 miles on it over the winter.
Old 04-18-2013, 12:19 PM   #34785
Jonathan75
Adventurer

I am in Missouri, the dealer down the road has a brand new one. I prefer to buy new but thanks for the heads up on the used one and all the info. I am hoping they will let me take it for a ride before I decide. Thats a very good point on the distance between peg and top of seat i had planned on measuring that tomorrow when i am there. I have my beamer set up great for my long legs. I wouldnt expect that kinda of power or comfort just dont want to pay 6 grand and be miseable.