Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2013, 10:29 AM   #34936
KansasBob
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbiker View Post
I believe that is due to the significantly smaller front wheel on the X model.
Right, and when someone throws a set of R wheels on an X the geometry is not set up for the R wheels.

I'm not saying it can't be dialed in, but right out of the box it may be off a little.

It may be more than wheel size though................... Yamaha calls the X a "street bike" and the R an "adventure dual sport" I would think the specs baked into the X are to make handle best on the street.
KansasBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:32 AM   #34937
Mr. Fisherman
FTW! FIT! FIN! FYYFF

Oddometer: 10,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by what broke now View Post
@Mrfisherman,

Isn't it about time for a second story addition on that thing? Otherwise where you gonna put the xmas gift overflow?
Oh, I can stack it higher... and I wear a backpack/hydration system too

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradluke0 View Post
Hi all ! Excuse me if this has already been asked or posted , searches got me nowhere . My friend bought a 2009 wr250x that has been converted to 21" and 18" wheels for dualsport . The bike handles "weird" so we checked the sag . The free sag was only 12mm and the race sag was only 75mm . The seller said the only thing he changed was the wheels and the gearing , so the springs and such are stock . What about the forks ? Are they the same length as the R and are the springs the same length as the R model ? We are not sure whether to slide the forks up in the clamps once the sag is set or not ? We are completely lost as to how set this thing up for off road . thx in advance guys....brad
Compare the photos of my bike above with the earlier ones further above... the lower ones are with the dirt wheels, 18 and 21. the upper ones are with my 17s. When I run the smaller wheels I raise the forks in the triples. When I put on the dirt set I lower them. It's your bike, set it up how you like it. Forks lower in the triples lengthen and increase response time and make it more stable at speed. Shortening them speeds up turning and is better for tight technical courses... play with it, you can always put it back. Find what works for you... or pay someone to do it for you

I like to move it, move it...
Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:39 AM   #34938
Mr. Fisherman
FTW! FIT! FIN! FYYFF

Oddometer: 10,423
Fine, lets make this easy...

X mode...

R Mode

Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:41 AM   #34939
shep546
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 215
Another video of me riding with a small crash at the end...

shep546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:51 AM   #34940
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot

Oddometer: 2,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by KansasBob View Post
Right, and when someone throws a set of R wheels on an X the geometry is not set up for the R wheels.

I'm not saying it can't be dialed in, but right out of the box it may be off a little.

It may be more than wheel size though................... Yamaha calls the X a "street bike" and the R an "adventure dual sport" I would think the specs baked into the X are to make handle best on the street.
Not exactly. I may be wrong, but I believe the frame, forks and shock are the same dimensions on both bikes. The rear wheels are not much different in diameter, but the front wheel on the X is quite a bit smaller. So, everything else being equal, that drops the front end, making the rake steeper and changing the trail. From what I've read the suspension is valved differently on the X, but that shouldn't affect handling too much.
cjbiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:35 PM   #34941
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,192
Does anyone actually read this thread before posting???

WR250R Rake/Trail: 26.7 / 4.37"
WR250X Rake/Trail: 25.3 / 2.99" - they are supposed to be different, but only due to wheels - no need to "slide in triples" unless you want 250R geometry off road on a 250X.

WR250R wheel base: 55.9"
WR250X wheel base: 56.1", due to different sprockets ONLY

WR250R GC / Travel f/r: 11.8" / 10.6" / 10.6"
WR250X GC / Travel f/r: 10.4"/ 10.6" / 10.6", due only to wheel diameter and tire profiles.

Suspensions are the SAME including internal valving; initial settings are different.

Transmission gear ratios are IDENTICAL (unlike SMS 630 / TE630).

Forks, frame, and swing arm are identical. Front brake rotors are different, of course.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:45 PM   #34942
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot

Oddometer: 2,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphon12 View Post
Of course not

With close to 35,000 posts and the lousy search capabilities available, any info quickly gets buried and lost in this thread.
cjbiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:02 PM   #34943
KansasBob
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 515
Quote:

WR250R Rake/Trail: 26.7 / 4.37"
WR250X Rake/Trail: 25.3 / 2.99" - they are supposed to be different, but only due to wheels - no need to "slide in triples" unless you want 250R geometry off road on a 250X.

WR250R wheel base: 55.9"
WR250X wheel base: 56.1", due to different sprockets ONLY

WR250R GC / Travel f/r: 11.8" / 10.6" / 10.6"
WR250X GC / Travel f/r: 10.4"/ 10.6" / 10.6", due only to wheel diameter and tire profiles.

Suspensions are the SAME including internal valving; initial settings are different.

Transmission gear ratios are IDENTICAL (unlike SMS 630 / TE630).

Forks, frame, and swing arm are identical. Front brake rotors are different, of course.
You learn something new every day!
I always thought the rake and trail was set in the frame jig, but it's actually measured on the bike once it completely set up and built? Interesting.
KansasBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:06 PM   #34944
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirthauler View Post
ok, guys, prepping for spring, i find my bat has got what my smart charger tells me is a sulfated cell. guess it's time for a new one, anyone got a good suggestions on where to get one for the right price?
I'm a big fan of the AGM "motobatt's.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5: Y2l43o9LVBERU
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:54 PM   #34945
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KansasBob View Post
You learn something new every day!
I always thought the rake and trail was set in the frame jig, but it's actually measured on the bike once it completely set up and built? Interesting.
I'm not sure I'd go that far. It is designed w/ CADD, hence the triple clamps / steering stem off-set, and the design length from the head to the axle. After that, there are tolerances in mfg and assembly.

Switching front wheels results in the changes seen in the specs - the triples and stem are the same. Of course, we change these numbers every time we lower a bike with links and by sliding the forks. The changes aren't as severe if you modify fork internals, etc.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;

Gryphon12 screwed with this post 04-22-2013 at 03:03 PM Reason: type-o
Old 04-22-2013, 02:56 PM   #34946
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbiker View Post
Of course not

With close to 35,000 posts and the lousy search capabilities available, any info quickly gets buried and lost in this thread.
Yeah, the stock search function is poor.

We need to do a better job of teaching other methods, like:

Google search - "search text"/site:advrider.com/forums/..."thread spec"

The information age is teaching a lack of patience. We all want what we want, "right now". Reading through longer threads is very educational, and not just for information on a specific bike. In reading (over several months) this thread, and the huge DR650 thread, and the Super Tenere thread (just those three), I've learned more about old technology, new technology, other bikes, accessories and mods, riding techniques, maintenance, planning for trips, and fixing things in the field, than I have anywhere else in the past 10 years.

Searches and questions are good for immediate issues. Reading, taking notes (I have a computer journal for each of the three threads mentioned above), and taking time to put information from many other contributors into perspective is absolutely invaluable to me. (Besides, it gives me something else to do over the winter than bitch about not being able to ride!)

Gryphon12 screwed with this post 04-22-2013 at 03:07 PM
Old 04-22-2013, 03:13 PM   #34947
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,256
Quote:

We need to do a better job of teaching other methods, like:

Google search - "search text"/site:advrider.com/forums/..."thread spec"

The information age is teaching a lack of patience. We all want what we want, "right now". Reading through longer threads is very educational, and not just for information on a specific bike. In reading (over several months) this thread, and the huge DR650 thread, and the Super Tenere thread (just those three), I've learned more about old technology, new technology, other bikes, accessories and mods, riding techniques, maintenance, planning for trips, and fixing things in the field, than I have anywhere else in the past 10 years.

Searches and questions are good for immediate issues. Reading, taking notes (I have a computer journal for each of the three threads mentioned above), and taking time to put information from many other contributors into perspective is absolutely invaluable to me. (Besides, it gives me something else to do over the winter than bitch about not being able to ride!)
The S-10 thread has interesting info but I unsubscribed because it's basically just a bullshit thread. I belong to enough of those.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:20 PM   #34948
what broke now
Petroleum Brother

Oddometer: 1,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fisherman View Post
Oh, I can stack it higher... and I wear a backpack/hydration system too
Wait, doesn't Oregon allow triple trailers? That might be easier.
what broke now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:32 PM   #34949
Red Sand
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 251
Quote:
Here are some good tips from Google --> LINK

Is there an automated way to consolidate all these posts in this thread into one text file?

If so, that would be very helpful to me.

I began creating my own personal database with useful WR250R information in it.

At the top of the list is this link (HERE)

Then I add stuff that I am likely to reference later or stuff I've already done that isn't in that link - which tires work well, what upgrades are useful and how to install them . . . blah, blah, blah . . .
Old 04-22-2013, 05:36 PM   #34950
ba_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,434
short video from this weekend