Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2013, 10:12 AM   #35011
scottmac
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeazyBuddha View Post
Anybody?
Stock rear sprocket size is 42 on the X, 43 on the R.

One tooth is not going to make a whole lot of difference.
scottmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:15 AM   #35012
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer: 4,197
Thanks guys !!
Old 04-25-2013, 11:21 AM   #35013
Red Sand
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyJoe View Post
I'd like to do a 1200 mile mixed-surface ride down to North Carloina (Deal's Gap) and back.
Joe,

If you haven't installed a larger gas tank, I'd suggest doing so.

I just tossed on an IMS 4.7 gallon tank - awesome mileage compared to what I was getting with the OEM.

Have fun!
Old 04-25-2013, 12:15 PM   #35014
Sewerat
Cert. bike whore

Oddometer: 1,177
Just call up warp9 racing tell them you want sm wheels for an r and what colour you want and then you will have a complete set to swap over depending on your mood. Me I got another set of r wheels so I can have aggressive and not so aggressive tires already mounted. One set for my daily commute. One set for my weekend riding.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:02 PM   #35015
ArmyJoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by skierd View Post
Depends on the weather, the type of trip, and the rider. Lots of dirt i'd say 250 max. Lots of pavement 500 max, but if you're in sight seeing mode probably closer to 350.

I've done one-day 500-mile trips on my Spyder and know I can't do that on the WRR (yet). Splitting the difference of your other two numbers, 300 miles sounds like a nice round number: 60 MPG = 5 hours in the saddle. Now to convice the wife to let me go on an overnight to Seneca Rocks, West Virginia for "training."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Sand View Post
If you haven't installed a larger gas tank, I'd suggest doing so. I just tossed on an IMS 4.7 gallon tank - awesome mileage compared to what I was getting with the OEM.
I have the IMS 3.1. It's what the bike should have come with.

My latest adventures detailed at ArmyJoe's Perpetual Picture Thread:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=888783
ArmyJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:50 PM   #35016
yaw
lost

Oddometer: 76
Eh? Starter dampener

Rode across the border from Baja and my bike started sounding a little funny. Got to Death Valley and it was making a racket. Heard many theories including the main bearing from the Honda dealer in ridge crest. 08 with 22,000 trouble free miles... It ran fantastic but sounded horrible. Started as normal, no loss of power, no shifting issues... Ran like it always does.

Got home and pulled the engine. Took the head off and everything looks brand new inside. Oil was clean. timing chain looked great. Friend had a theory the starter dampener might be bad. We thought it rotated one way during starting and free rotated once the engine was running ( so the starter was disengaged). I took it to the Yamaha dealer to make sure I understood how it worked. They confirmed. Said mine was obviously broken since it didn't rotate. Yamaha rep was standing right there.

I went home to order and found out it was called the starter dampener and that there was another piece called the starter clutch. Went back to the Yamaha dealer and asked again to make sure. I asked how it worked and he basically described it the same. When the starter motor turns over the gear is engaged but as soon as the engine is running the gear slips (ie rotates freely without engaging the starter motor).

Ordered the new part. Arrived and does not rotate freely just like mine! Took it back to the dealer and the same guy was stumped. He then proceeded to tell me that 22,000 was a lot of miles for the wr250r...

So I'm likely going to be opening the lower end...

Sorry for the long story. Can someone explain what this dampener does?

Thanks! Marc
yaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:56 PM   #35017
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,464
Yaw, the guy that said 22,000 was a lot of miles probably thought it was an F & doesn't know the difference between the F & the R
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:44 PM   #35018
CJ smith
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssregal39 View Post
if that is rust, then unlikely. it knocked the plating off. there are places that can rechrome the tubes or buy new/used.
Replacing means $300 for inner tube,+seal rebuild kit & oil+specialty tools. If anyone comes across a used fork for the wr250r please let me know. Until then I'll try sanding & filling in with epoxy.
CJ smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:38 PM   #35019
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,752
Quote:
I've got less than 2500 miles on two wheels and I'm riding almost daily to build up my skills and stamina. I'd like to do a 1200 mile mixed-surface ride down to North Carloina (Deal's Gap) and back. How many miles or hours a day do you think is reasonable on a WRR? My route will use US Highways, but no Interstates.

Thanks,
Joe
Assuming you are also planning to have fun, much less than 500. Not sure what sort of roads you intend to ride. Smaller the better for me.

Assuming a moving average of 35 mph, 8 hours of riding is 280 miles. Adding time for occasional interesting detours, stops for coffee & toilet, a meal, fuel, that could be a pretty full day.

I hope you have a more comfy seat than OEM.
Old 04-25-2013, 03:50 PM   #35020
GSBS
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,843
Quote:
I've got less than 2500 miles on two wheels and I'm riding almost daily to build up my skills and stamina. I'd like to do a 1200 mile mixed-surface ride down to North Carloina (Deal's Gap) and back. How many miles or hours a day do you think is reasonable on a WRR? My route will use US Highways, but no Interstates.

Thanks,
Joe
I just did a google map from Columbus to Deals Gap. Looks like if you slabbed it it'd be around 400 miles. Maybe 500 or more if you went backroads. Were I you I'd get the DeLorme Gazetteers for the states you'll be passing through and route on forest service roads where possible. You're looking at a two-day trip in any case, but doing some gravel along the way will make it more fun. If you figure 250 miles a day that's very doable. BTW, if you don't have an aftermarket saddle, a WallyWorld ATV seat pad will make a tolerable substitute. Just sayin'... Good luck!
GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:30 PM   #35021
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot

Oddometer: 2,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ smith View Post
Replacing means $300 for inner tube,+seal rebuild kit & oil+specialty tools. If anyone comes across a used fork for the wr250r please let me know. Until then I'll try sanding & filling in with epoxy.
I would smooth use a ceramic slip stone rather than sand paper.
cjbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:29 PM   #35022
Rider_WV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,170
Quote:
I've done one-day 500-mile trips on my Spyder and know I can't do that on the WRR (yet). Splitting the difference of your other two numbers, 300 miles sounds like a nice round number: 60 MPG = 5 hours in the saddle. Now to convice the wife to let me go on an overnight to Seneca Rocks, West Virginia for "training."

I have the IMS 3.1. It's what the bike should have come with.
If you decide to head to wv let me know I'm always down for a weekend trip to the mountains! Lots of good campsites and plenty of riding of all types.
Rider_WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:16 PM   #35023
eemsreno
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 803
good creek crossing

Old 04-25-2013, 06:19 PM   #35024
Fitty
Shopping cart rider

Oddometer: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaw View Post
Rode across the border from Baja and my bike started sounding a little funny. Got to Death Valley and it was making a racket. Heard many theories including the main bearing from the Honda dealer in ridge crest. 08 with 22,000 trouble free miles... It ran fantastic but sounded horrible. Started as normal, no loss of power, no shifting issues... Ran like it always does.

Got home and pulled the engine. Took the head off and everything looks brand new inside. Oil was clean. timing chain looked great. Friend had a theory the starter dampener might be bad. We thought it rotated one way during starting and free rotated once the engine was running ( so the starter was disengaged). I took it to the Yamaha dealer to make sure I understood how it worked. They confirmed. Said mine was obviously broken since it didn't rotate. Yamaha rep was standing right there.

I went home to order and found out it was called the starter dampener and that there was another piece called the starter clutch. Went back to the Yamaha dealer and asked again to make sure. I asked how it worked and he basically described it the same. When the starter motor turns over the gear is engaged but as soon as the engine is running the gear slips (ie rotates freely without engaging the starter motor).

Ordered the new part. Arrived and does not rotate freely just like mine! Took it back to the dealer and the same guy was stumped. He then proceeded to tell me that 22,000 was a lot of miles for the wr250r...

So I'm likely going to be opening the lower end...

Sorry for the long story. Can someone explain what this dampener does?

Thanks! Marc
This is the only engine failure I know of, so certainly not an epidemic. Part was updated in 2010. Just an FYI.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=26279

Fitty screwed with this post 04-25-2013 at 06:27 PM
Fitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:34 PM   #35025
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Oddometer: 3,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by eemsreno View Post
Looks pretty impressive if you crossed over those huge rocks/concrete...
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
indypup is offline   Reply With Quote