Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2013, 08:58 PM   #35236
goroka
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Scientific way to know when to change your chain??

Have been wondering for some time just how far you can take the chain before it breaks due to excessive wear . Couldnt find anything by a search of this forum. I have found that I usually use 2 x front sprockets to one rear sprocket to one chain.

Is there any way of judging the max wear with the chain on the bike.

Cheers
goroka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:27 PM   #35237
scottmac
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,500
Too many variables.
scottmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:28 PM   #35238
Bogus Jim
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by goroka View Post
Have been wondering for some time just how far you can take the chain before it breaks due to excessive wear . Couldnt find anything by a search of this forum. I have found that I usually use 2 x front sprockets to one rear sprocket to one chain.

Cheers
Measure the links with the chain tight.

http://www.dirttricks.com/Chain-Wear.htm

WRR owner's manual recommends 0.003 inch per link wear limit, which is half of the 0.006 inch limit mentioned in the dirt tricks article.
Bogus Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:28 AM   #35239
Reeksy
high state of hiatus

Oddometer: 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by goroka View Post

Cheers
Hi Hamish

You can measure the 'stretch'. But I guess that's just the advised limit.

Renthal say this:

During use a chain will stretch (i.e. the pins will wear causing extension of the chain). To measure how much a chain has stretched, put the motorcycle in gear and rotate the rear wheel to tension the top strand of the chain. Measure accurately (ideally with a vernier) 16 links, counting both roller and pin links. If the length of the measured 16 links is greater than the maximum acceptable length given in the table below then the chain should no longer be used. These figures assume a 2% maximum allowable extension for non 'O'-ring chain and a 1% maximum extension for 'O'-ring chain.

520 chain
Original Chain Pitch
Maximum Acceptable Lengths
Non 'O'-ring chain
'O'-ring chain
5/8" / 15.875mm
10.2" / 259.0mm
10.1" / 256.5mm

This guy will even sell you a tool to measure it http://www.dirttricks.com/Chain-Wear.htm

... or do you mean something different

Reeksy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:37 AM   #35240
goroka
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Chain wear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogus Jim View Post
Measure the links with the chain tight.

http://www.dirttricks.com/Chain-Wear.htm

WRR owner's manual recommends 0.003 inch per link wear limit, which is half of the 0.006 inch limit mentioned in the dirt tricks article.
Excellent - thanks for that. Will give that a go. I have a strong suspicion that that I am probably over the limit. I think it was the left overs of the rollers that I could hear rattling around on the last chain

Cheers
goroka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:03 AM   #35241
CJ smith
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Thanks Scott & Jim for the video links.

I was thinking about doing both forks but it turns out $32 worth of Yamaha's 01 fork oil is just shy of enough to fill both forks. Definitely going the less expensive route next time around. I figure 1 liter should be enough to fill the one fork that needs it, and maybe top off the other fork just to be sure they are the same height.

Speaking of fork oil height, anyone know the spec for that off the top of their head?( I want to say its 105mm measured from the top of fork)
CJ smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:31 AM   #35242
duanew1
In my Pajama pants

Oddometer: 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSBS View Post
We should ride sometime! Are you going up for the Trials event at Sequatchie TN May 25-26?
Yes we should ride sometime. I saw the thread on Bamarides but I haven't given it much thought. It would be cool to watch though.
2008 SYM HD200
duanew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:33 AM   #35243
GSBS
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by duanew1 View Post
Yes we should ride sometime. I saw the thread on Bamarides but I haven't given it much thought. It would be cool to watch though.
We went in 2008, the last year the World Championship caliber riders were there and it was, without question, the most amazing thing I've ever seen on two wheels.
GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:36 AM   #35244
what broke now
Petroleum Brother

Oddometer: 1,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ smith View Post

I was thinking about doing both forks but it turns out $32 worth of Yamaha's 01 fork oil is just shy of enough to fill both forks. Definitely going the less expensive route next time around. I figure 1 liter should be enough to fill the one fork that needs it, and maybe top off the other fork just to be sure they are the same height.

Speaking of fork oil height, anyone know the spec for that off the top of their head?( I want to say its 105mm measured from the top of fork)
The spec is a baseline; filling to 110mm is feasible if that is all the oil $32 worth provided. The length of that "air chamber" is often used as a tuning tool.
what broke now is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:57 AM   #35245
UtahFox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by skierd View Post
Some non-WR content... took my new bike on a spring road trip around Alaska.

My quick 4 day spring ride...
Brrrr. I'm having a hard time leaving Flagstaff because its in the 50s with double digit winds.
UtahFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:08 AM   #35246
soupknotzee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 239
I just changed the oil in my forks to Maxima Race Fork Fluid 5 wt or 85/150 purchased here LINKY I went with 110mm per recommendation from notable suspension tuner. 1 liter is NOT enough for both legs DAMHIK 7 clicks on compression and 8 on rebound. I may try 8 on compression next as it felt a slightly harsh on initial movement. The front end now feels more compliant and hasnt been bottoming out bad on the big landings like before with the OEM fish oil in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ smith View Post

soupknotzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:24 AM   #35247
UtahFox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSBS View Post
FYI, I'm running the Pirelli MT43 DOT trials tire on my WR-R (4.00" x 18) and it is significantly taller than the stock 120/80-18 size. I compensated for the taller gearing effect with a 47T rear sprocket (+4) and still run the 13T front. Aside from being 1/2-inch taller (when the tire is new) there is no noticeable change in the feel of the bike. I'm on my third MT43 now and expect this to be my rear tires for the WR from now on. Very happy with it!
So what is this gearing effect you speak of here? If you left the stock gearing what would be the effect then? I'm fixing to change tires after I get home.

Also, I'm really easy on tires so I'm trying to find a balance of better performance in sand & dirt, while getting as many miles as I can out of them. Having a hard time deciding on the front.

UtahFox screwed with this post 05-03-2013 at 08:33 AM
UtahFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:28 AM   #35248
leftystrat62
Adventurer

Oddometer: 999
Anyone know what size "mm" forks we have? I'm looking to pick up Motion Pro Fork Seal Bullet to help assist me doing my fork oil change.
leftystrat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:22 PM   #35249
shep546
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 215
Hey guys,

When I put my FMF pipe on I removed the exup cables and wrangled up one of them in the process...

If I put the stock pipe back on does the valve stay open? Is it fine without the cables?
shep546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:30 PM   #35250
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftystrat62 View Post
Anyone know what size "mm" forks we have? I'm looking to pick up Motion Pro Fork Seal Bullet to help assist me doing my fork oil change.
Not needed to change fork oil. Remove fork, remove top cap, turn upside down, drain & refill. I think the forks are 48mm
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote