flyaway screwed with this post 05-10-2013 at 09:22 AM
flyaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:11 AM   #35387
Sewerat
Cert. bike whore

Oddometer: 1,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainshadow View Post
Can anybody show me a few homemade solutions to the rear fender on the wrr? The PO took a sawzall to the rear fender, attached his license plate to the fender bracket, and then bent his license plate to make a defacto rear fender between the bracket and the stock taillight. Unfortunately Oregon license plates are too small to reach. I've got several offers to send me stock rear fenders, but wanted to see if there was another solution.
Thanks!
All home made. Used a ktm tail light as a starting point.

Old 05-10-2013, 08:31 AM   #35388
The Yeti
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 455
My fuel pump finally went out on my '08. Where do I order a new one? Is there an aftermarket solution that would last longer?

Thanks!

Dakota Dual Sport Riders
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:44 AM   #35389
UtahFox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSBS View Post
FYI, I installed ProTaper bars with about 4" of rise (Windham/RM MID bend) plus have the Rox 2" risers and didn't have to replace any cables or wiring.

The clutch cable is now at the very edge of being too short when the bars are at full lock, but still okay. I did turn over the throttle grip assembly so the cables are now coming out underneath instead of above the handlebar. Also, I used some black window glazing to plug the drain hole in the throttle assembly which is now on top instead of the bottom.

I'm 6' 1" and also have the Fastway pegs in the lower position and this combined with the bars/risers makes the bike just about right for me when standing.
Thanks for that. Well, I guess if the pegs aren't enough (I'm 5'9") then I'll go ahead with the Tusks and see what happens.
UtahFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:47 AM   #35390
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot

Oddometer: 2,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yeti View Post
My fuel pump finally went out on my '08. Where do I order a new one? Is there an aftermarket solution that would last longer?

Thanks!
The cheapest price I've seen on the OEM pump is at Ron Ayers. If you search around, there's some indication that the CA Cycleworks aftermarket pump will fit, but it appears that they've changed the design to better work on the Husabergs and Huskies and made it incompatible with the WRR.

How many miles on your WR? How did the failure manifest itself?
cjbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:53 AM   #35391
UtahFox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSBS View Post
To me, it seems that chain and sprocket wear should be seen as one issue. I always change both sprockets and chain at the same time. I assume most folks do too, because the worn chain and new sprocket teeth would work against one another to shorten the useable life of each, right?

From conversations with friends who use ATF I'm sure it is a very good way to lube chains.

However, there's no getting around the fact that it's messy and time consuming (see description above).

My last DID X-ring chain went over 26K miles and was lubed about every other tankful (around 200 miles) with the Teflon spray, usually right after I came into the garage from a ride and the chain was "warmed up." The entire procedure takes less than a minute.

I simply spray a generous amount of the Teflon lube on the chain on a single rotation of the chain length, beginning and ending at the master link. Then use an old rag to wipe off the excess solvent/propellant. Done!

As mentioned above, using this method the chain was still good even after the sprockets were too worn (hooked) to continue using them. To me, that's all I want from a chain, because I'm not going to try to get a little more life from a worn chain and destroy new sprockets.

Suppose the use of ATF gave the chain another few thousand miles of potential life, I can't see how it would have increased the sprocket life as well, so, for me, using ATF would only mean I'm discarding a slightly less worn chain that would be taken off anyway due to sprocket wear.

So the bottom line for me is that I'm pleased with the time and convenience factor of the Teflon vs. ATF to give me intervals for chain AND sprocket replacement that would be the same anyway, due to sprocket wear.

My 2
It's funny, I read this post (Jan 2010) back when I had my Scrambler. That and the Webbikeworld review of teflon spray are the reasons I use it now, though I am going to try SS-51 for a while.

Is there any easy way to identify the master link on our chains? I'm breaking mine today, does it even matter?
UtahFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:03 AM   #35392
BluePill
AARP Slacker

Oddometer: 4,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahFox View Post
It's funny, I read this post (Jan 2010) back when I had my Scrambler. That and the Webbikeworld review of teflon spray are the reasons I use it now, though I am going to try SS-51 for a while.

Is there any easy way to identify the master link on our chains? I'm breaking mine today, does it even matter?
I would say it doesn't matter. If you are reusing the same chain again, you will need a new o-ring master link.

On the subject of sprockets, here is a photo of what my front looks like at about 6K miles - quite a bit of tooth hook:

I am now at 20K and the rear sprocket is finally showing some curve in the teeth, so I will be doing the full chain and sprockets changeover. First chain lasted for 14K until it got enough tight links for me to want to change it. I just use wd-40 to clean and lube the chain.

BluePill screwed with this post 05-10-2013 at 09:11 AM
BluePill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:05 AM   #35393
The Yeti
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbiker View Post
The cheapest price I've seen on the OEM pump is at Ron Ayers. If you search around, there's some indication that the CA Cycleworks aftermarket pump will fit, but it appears that they've changed the design to better work on the Husabergs and Huskies and made it incompatible with the WRR.

How many miles on your WR? How did the failure manifest itself?
Thanks for the reply!

Embarrassing to say, but I've only got about 6K on the clock.

Late last season, I loaned the bike to a friend and he said after riding it a couple times it just wouldn't start for him, I stuck it in storage until yesterday.

Went out to try and start it and it started right up on first try, but after shutting her down the next few turns of the key produced no sound from the pump and she would crank but not start.

This does sound like the fuel pump, right?

Dakota Dual Sport Riders
Old 05-10-2013, 09:16 AM   #35394
BluePill
AARP Slacker

Oddometer: 4,493
Quote:
Thanks for the reply!

Embarrassing to say, but I've only got about 6K on the clock.

Late last season, I loaned the bike to a friend and he said after riding it a couple times it just wouldn't start for him, I stuck it in storage until yesterday.

Went out to try and start it and it started right up on first try, but after shutting her down the next few turns of the key produced no sound from the pump and she would crank but not start.

This does sound like the fuel pump, right?
The usual failure mode is that the pump works OK when the fuel is cool, but fails when it is hot - e.g. after sitting out in the hot summer sun during the day. It could also be corrosion at some electrical contact - harness connector, relay, etc. - since it has been sitting. My WR is a 02/08 build date, so I just changed the pump out as a precaution. $250 worth of insurance in my book.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:22 AM   #35395
simmons1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluePill View Post
My WR is a 02/08 build date, so I just changed the pump out as a precaution. $250 worth of insurance in my book.
I did the same thing. My replacement pump failed after 4k miles. I put the original pump back in and it has been working perfect the last several thousand miles.

I guess what I am saying is that replacing the pump as a precautionary measure is no guarantee that you won't have a fuel pump problem.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:22 AM   #35396
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,741
Quote:

Thanks!
Service Honda has great prices. That is where I got mine.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:23 AM   #35397
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by simmons1 View Post
I did the same thing. My replacement pump failed after 4k miles. I put the original pump back in and it has been working perfect the last several thousand miles.

I guess what I am saying is that replacing the pump as a precautionary measure is no guarantee that you won't have a fuel pump problem.
My replacement pump had a distinctly different sound while running. I took that as an indicator that it was a newer version.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:24 AM   #35398
flyaway
chwelve

Oddometer: 67
Has anyone figured out what is actually going on with the early fuel pumps and what it takes to repair them, as an alternative to buying a replacement?
flyaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:37 AM   #35399
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot

Oddometer: 2,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyaway View Post
Has anyone figured out what is actually going on with the early fuel pumps and what it takes to repair them, as an alternative to buying a replacement?
Yeah, it's in this thread somewhere, about thirty thousand posts back

The theory that I've read here and on the WR forum is that the fit of the impeller in the pump housing is too tight, and after a little fuel varnish builds up, it locks up when hot.

My new-to-me 08 has less than 5k miles on it, and I'm wondering when/if the pump will go. The PO owned it for a couple years and never rode it, so it sat with nasty old fuel quite a bit. If the fuel varnish theory is correct, I may be in trouble. I haven't had any problems yet, but it's not warm here in Maine yet...
cjbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:41 AM   #35400
The Yeti
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluePill View Post
The usual failure mode is that the pump works OK when the fuel is cool, but fails when it is hot - e.g. after sitting out in the hot summer sun during the day. It could also be corrosion at some electrical contact - harness connector, relay, etc. - since it has been sitting. My WR is a 02/08 build date, so I just changed the pump out as a precaution. $250 worth of insurance in my book.
Hmmm....so maybe not the fuel pump.

I think I'll take it down to my local mechanic to diagnose and go from there.

Thanks!

Dakota Dual Sport Riders