Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2013, 04:07 PM   #35611
Drax
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
First day in Moab today. We rode Long Canyon Rd and Potash Rd. Nothing too serious.

Tomorrow we are riding White Rim Road which is around 130 miles and generally is an all day ride.
Drax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 04:10 PM   #35612
UtahFox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drax View Post
First day in Moab today. We rode Long Canyon Rd and Potash Rd. Nothing too serious.

Tomorrow we are riding White Rim Road which is around 130 miles and generally is an all day ride.
Excellent. Nice pics.
UtahFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 06:25 PM   #35613
Sewerat
Cert. bike whore

Oddometer: 1,203
Swapped out to the 13 tooth about Thursday, today swapped in a 48 rear, looked at my slider, had abut 1/2 left in the front leading edge, went it for. 50km ride, it's all gone and into the swing arm. So ordered up a 52 rear and going back to 14 front permanently. I'm sick of replacing sliders.
Old 05-19-2013, 06:28 PM   #35614
simmons1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sewerat View Post
Swapped out to the 13 tooth about Thursday, today swapped in a 48 rear, looked at my slider, had abut 1/2 left in the front leading edge, went it for. 50km ride, it's all gone and into the swing arm. So ordered up a 52 rear and going back to 14 front permanently. I'm sick of replacing sliders.
I have run either a 12 or 13 for almost 11K miles. My original slider is roughly half worn.
Old 05-19-2013, 07:47 PM   #35615
HunterSon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Quote:
Ok,so with that description? How'd yu put the nut on?????
With the sprocket installed just put the washer and nut back on, stand on the rear brake and lean over the bike and torque on the nut. Peen the nut indents with a screwdriver and then replace the plastic sprocket cover. Don't forget the case saver and sprocket cover are two separate parts.
HunterSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:05 PM   #35616
Llamaha
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid Dog View Post
...you mean on your 17's?
Correct, on my 17s sorry forgot to mention.
Llamaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:40 AM   #35617
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot

Oddometer: 2,346
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by simmons1 View Post
I have run either a 12 or 13 for almost 11K miles. My original slider is roughly half worn.
Clearly there are other variables factoring in here. What is your race sag? What size rear sprocket? Are you adjusting your chain so that there's a little slack when the countershaft, swingarm pivot, and rear axle are all in line? What brand is your chain? Any kinked links?
cjbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:57 AM   #35618
byron555
Lame Duck Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by calfinm View Post
I want to put a 14t cs on my bike. I see this is being asked a bit lately on a couple of forums. Ive searched and it seems there's 'some' modification of the case saver required? Skierd I think mentioned needing to grind it down?
Anyone done it and can give some advice. Ive just forked out a ridiculous amount on a new swing arm protector and had my chain maul it after a short ride. The chain obviously needs replacing and stretched this weekend. Ive had shock off, measured with cs axel etc in line, happy with where it works adjusted, not happy with the low tolerance once it stretches. So for peace of mind I want a 14t. This bikes not my single track toy, its for blasting and weekend trips etc so close to stocks fine, maybe a little shorter. Cheers
I had to grind down my stock case saver, the rubbery part. There is a lip that faces the sprocket, that is what needs to be ground down. I run 14/49 and it works well all around, that is with the 18" rear rim. 17", I'd probably run 14/47... Either way a 110 link will most likely be needed.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=997633
byron555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:00 AM   #35619
byron555
Lame Duck Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,101
T-63

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
First time off-road with the new T-63 rear today. Whooped-out sandy ATV trails and some rutted, narrow single track through pine woods. Perfect conditions, and I had plenty of traction on the single track - damp earth, roots, etc. I had aired down to 18 (16 in the MT-21 front).

Needless to say, the T-63 is a huge improvement over the worn T-wing that I rode last season (I bought the WRR mid season, and opted for a new front immediately, decided to finish the OEM rear). On road the T-63 gives me no cause for complaint. I do more pavement and gravel miles, less off-road, and for me the T-63 seems a good compromise. Price is right too.
Good info, I've been look at the T-63, let us know how it wears on the WRr, and possibly vibrations on the hwy.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=997633
byron555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:14 AM   #35620
GSBS
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by byron555 View Post
Good info, I've been look at the T-63, let us know how it wears on the WRr, and possibly vibrations on the hwy.
I've run a few of the T63s on my WR-R and got around 3K miles from each rear and about twice that from the front. They aren't objectionably loud on the street and I don't remember any bad vibes (I always balance my tires/wheels though). However, IMO they lose most of their off-road usefulness (other than gravel roads, etc.) when the tread is 1/2-2/3 gone.

For my riding I now prefer the MT43 rear. The rear costs about $10 more than the T63, and the tread life is about the same mileage. However, in my experience the off-road grip remains good all the way through the thread life of the tire.

YRMV
GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:36 AM   #35621
ADWrider
AKA Acorn27

Oddometer: 76
Quote:

Very cool. White rim is definitely on my list to ride someday. Too bad it's a 20 hour drive from where I live...
Old 05-20-2013, 08:01 AM   #35622
Drax
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADWrider View Post
Very cool. White rim is definitely on my list to ride someday. Too bad it's a 20 hour drive from where I live...
I'm from Alberta Canada. Right around 20 hours for me.
Drax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:03 AM   #35623
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot

Oddometer: 2,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADWrider View Post
Quote:
I'm from Alberta Canada. Right around 20 hours for me.
36 hours for me I need to get out west again.
cjbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:50 AM   #35624
Red Sand
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 251

Hello

When ordering T63 tires, is it okay to get a 90/90-21 for the front instead of the 80/100-21?

Thanks,

RS

Old 05-20-2013, 10:55 AM   #35625
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,112
Quote:

I used to live in central Wyoming and got down to Moab several times a year to ride motorcycles and bicycles. It is some truly outstanding riding that anyone who likes riding in the dirt should experience before you die. I've ridden the slickrock trail on bikes and MC's, it was a hoot but much more challenging with one Doug-power than 50 horse-power .

I've ridden the White Rim on bicycles too, took three days with sag wagons supporting the group. On our last night out a lone guy on his mountain bike stopped to chat as we sat waiting for the trucks - he was celebrating his 50th birthday by doing that ride in one long day. That was one tough dude, and he was so happy he was giddy, even after 90+ miles that day with ~30 to go. I've done mileage like that in a day on a road bike, but never on a mountain bike .

Doug