Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2013, 11:59 AM   #35626
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by manfromthestix View Post
That was one tough dude, and he was so happy he was giddy, even after 90+ miles that day with ~30 to go.
He was clearly delirious.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:49 PM   #35627
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSBS View Post
For my riding I now prefer the MT43 rear. The rear costs about $10 more than the T63, and the tread life is about the same mileage. However, in my experience the off-road grip remains good all the way through the thread life of the tire.

YRMV
If only the MT-43 wasn't so damn tall, I'd have one! I have a 30" inseam.

Using the shock clevis and raising the forks, I got the height down to where I am comfortable, and I am just not willing to jack it up again over tire selection.
Old 05-20-2013, 01:51 PM   #35628
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by byron555 View Post
Good info, I've been look at the T-63, let us know how it wears on the WRr, and possibly vibrations on the hwy.
I didn't notice any difference from the T-wing on the road, up to ~55 mph. Haven't gone any faster yet, since I avoid highways on it whenever possible.
Old 05-20-2013, 01:56 PM   #35629
ArmyJoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
If only the MT-43 wasn't so damn tall, I'd have one! I have a 30" inseam.

Using the shock clevis and raising the forks, I got the height down to where I am comfortable, and I am just not willing to jack it up again over tire selection.
I also have a 30" inseam. Add a lowering link.

ETA: Here's some photos for comparison (in the order I did them):

Totally stock:

Factory lower and lowering link:

Seat Concepts low seat (no change?):

My latest adventures detailed at ArmyJoe's Perpetual Picture Thread:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=888783

ArmyJoe screwed with this post 05-20-2013 at 02:13 PM
ArmyJoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:05 PM   #35630
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 810
So I just got back from my first weekend trip with the WR. I had a great time riding the trails in the mountains for the first time.

I rode out with 2 GS owners to Amherst from Richmond on their way to natural bridge for Mortons BMW Spring fling before we split off. I winged it through forest roads I had never been on and somehow made my way up to some cool roads I see people post about on here all the time. Here is the first road I was on that looped to the top of a radio tower. You can see the roads I came from far below.

Then made my way down to an awesome waterfall. Pics don't show how huge it was.

Then made my way up to the blue ridge parkway.

Under the tunnel what do you know, another ADV member. He was even riding a WR like me. It was like 2 unicorns running into each other in the wild. He was kind enough to ask me to come back to the campsite for some friendly bike talk and a beer.

After that I made my way up to Sherando Lake from the parkway to meet my friends for a bachelor party weekend and set up camp.

My sleeping arrangements...

And that was about it. The next two days were spent blowing through about 140 beers, and lots of rain. I rode back this morning and it rained the entire time so unfortunately instead of exploring I just shot back as fast as possbile. I packed the bike a little differently on the way back to give me more seat room since I knew I was just slabbing it. Despite many comments on my bungee strap set up, nothing fell off. I will be picking up some motorcycle straps soon. Here's the 5 minutes on the way home where the rain stopped.

And that wraps up my first weekend away on the WR. I love this little bike. I can't believe how capable it is.
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:28 PM   #35631
scottmac
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyJoe View Post

I have a Seat Concepts seat now and though it's not as tall as the stock
seat it is wider so there's not much gain.
scottmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:49 PM   #35632
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Is there supposed to be anything in this hole? I've been seeing rust come out of it, and it's been making me nervous. Am I missing something?

2002 CR80R (SOLD)
Old 05-20-2013, 03:34 PM   #35633
shep546
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 215
You're good man, thats just corrosion from water and stuff getting trapped inside there...
shep546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 03:49 PM   #35634
10Cup
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonrider3889 View Post
Is there supposed to be anything in this hole? I've been seeing rust come out of it, and it's been making me nervous. Am I missing something?
Nope, its the drain from the spark plug well. You'll get water in it when you wash the bike if your not careful. Check the spark plug and put a little dielectric grease on the metal.
10Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 03:50 PM   #35635
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Thanks guys! Video from Friday!

2002 CR80R (SOLD)
Old 05-20-2013, 05:59 PM   #35636
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyJoe View Post
I also have a 30" inseam. Add a lowering link.

ETA: Here's some photos for comparison (in the order I did them):

Totally stock:

Factory lower and lowering link:

I see a massive change - your boots are more worn and covered with mud, so I'd guess you've been out riding the WR in it's intended habitat .

I rode out with 2 GS owners to Amherst from Richmond on their way to natural bridge for Mortons BMW Spring fling before we split off.

Congrats on your first real ride! The WR is a blast. I rode my GS with a bunch of those guys on some stuff I would have been more comfortable on the WR, but the GS did just fine. In honor of that event I even washed my GS for the first time in over a year and promptly got it all filthy again . The biggest difference I've noted is how hard you have to work on the Big Pig versus how effortless the WR goes through that stuff. And I'm not talking about picking it up when you fall down, either... We rode like hoons over a lot of pretty rough roads and I have to admit I like the 90+ HP versus 28, but I also have to admit it's much more work on the big bike (and it's harder to slow the big bike down too...ABS is worse than useless on dirt). I'm still searching for some roads that the WR will find challenging - so far, only Shoe Creek near here has met that criteria. That is a fricking HOOT and the WR just soaked it up effortlessly.

And yeah, it rained a lot this weekend. I made it home Saturday evening right ahead of a deluge, and it rained all day Sunday and again this afternoon. It makes for fun mudholes, creek crossings, and dust-free dirt roads but I'm ready for some consistent sunshine. I think I'm starting to mildew.

Doug
Old 05-20-2013, 06:13 PM   #35637
Drax
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Ended up doing slick rock today. Truly impressive what people do on peddle bikes.

Slick rock was great. So unique.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manfromthestix View Post
I used to live in central Wyoming and got down to Moab several times a year to ride motorcycles and bicycles. It is some truly outstanding riding that anyone who likes riding in the dirt should experience before you die. I've ridden the slickrock trail on bikes and MC's, it was a hoot but much more challenging with one Doug-power than 50 horse-power .

I've ridden the White Rim on bicycles too, took three days with sag wagons supporting the group. On our last night out a lone guy on his mountain bike stopped to chat as we sat waiting for the trucks - he was celebrating his 50th birthday by doing that ride in one long day. That was one tough dude, and he was so happy he was giddy, even after 90+ miles that day with ~30 to go. I've done mileage like that in a day on a road bike, but never on a mountain bike .

Doug
Drax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:27 PM   #35638
Llamaha
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 772
Sorry guys, I asked this question but it got lost in the thread so I hope you don't mind if I ask it again?

If I put Pirelli MT21's Rallycross on my 17" WRX wheels will I need to change the gearing at all? I imagine they're a bit taller than stock.

Thanks
Llamaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:50 PM   #35639
z@ch
Turn it up to eleven

Oddometer: 4,704
Will you need to change gearing? No

Will you want to change gearing? Probably.

Most have found the stock gearing too tall on the WR and a bigger rear will make it taller.

That said, some people prefer taller gearing because they cruise the highway a lot.
z@ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:12 PM   #35640
henrymartin
Mr. Tourguide

Oddometer: 3,432
First overnighter with a fully loaded WR. 14/52 gearing, Oxford Sports Humpback luggage on sides, bag on tailrack, Trakmaster tires....This is a truly fun bike no matter what I aim it at.

henrymartin is offline   Reply With Quote