ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-18-2013, 10:25 AM   #36166
what broke now
Petroleum Brother
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: seattle
Oddometer: 1,018
"Could use some advice"


You might be able to have that repaired by welding. Are there any specialty welders in your area? Look for somebody who advertises TIG welding capability.
what broke now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:56 AM   #36167
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid
 
WeazyBuddha's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: RGV Texas
Oddometer: 4,148
Well, that sucks.

I have no advice but would be interested in knowing how it happened so that I can avoid the same mistake.
__________________
A drunk driver killed someone I love
WeazyBuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:09 PM   #36168
sieg
Beastly Adventurer
 
sieg's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Southern Illinois USA
Oddometer: 2,310
Yeah I too want to know how that happened. And yeah, you can have it welded, my son broke the caliper mount off the fork on a WR450 F once and we welded it.
__________________
I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but let's take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.
Current bikes F800GS-WR250F-Versys-690R-RZ350
sieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:21 PM   #36169
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮
 
indypup's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Troy, OHIO
Oddometer: 2,994
Quote:
Originally Posted by weazybuddha View Post
well, that sucks.

I have no advice but would be interested in knowing how it happened so that i can avoid the same mistake.
+1
__________________
If there's no video...it didn't happen
2014 350 XCF-W Six Days SE
2007 ST1300, 2008 KLR650, 2008 WR250R, 1995 Ninja 250R
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
indypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 04:30 PM   #36170
dnsjo
Adventurer
 
dnsjo's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Vinton, VA
Oddometer: 27
I guess in Japan, when you get home from work you're offered your choice of entertainment for the evening (the R or the X).
Couldn't help but repost this. (Thanks Steve Tate from the Facebook WR group).
dnsjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:15 PM   #36171
divotdm
Gnarly Adventurer
 
divotdm's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Kewaskum, WI
Oddometer: 363
Low End Grunt

OOP's...Posted in the wrong thread..


Thanks,
Dave
__________________
07 Bandit 1250
00 ZR7
97 DR350
06 WR250F
86 Nighthawk 700s (Red, White,Blue)

divotdm screwed with this post 06-18-2013 at 05:24 PM
divotdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:22 PM   #36172
simmons1
Beastly Adventurer
 
simmons1's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Out Riding
Oddometer: 1,200
Having owned a DR and a WR, I would say the DR has better low end grunt. The WR loves to rev.
__________________
Goldwing, Super Tenere, WR250R, ST1300, KLR, GS1000s, GT750, H2 750, H1 500
simmons1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:25 PM   #36173
divotdm
Gnarly Adventurer
 
divotdm's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Kewaskum, WI
Oddometer: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by simmons1 View Post
Having owned a DR and a WR, I would say the DR has better low end grunt. The WR loves to rev.

Thanks for the reply, I thought I was in the WR250F thread
__________________
07 Bandit 1250
00 ZR7
97 DR350
06 WR250F
86 Nighthawk 700s (Red, White,Blue)
divotdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:32 PM   #36174
leftystrat62
Adventurer
 
leftystrat62's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Little Rhody
Oddometer: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeazyBuddha View Post
Well, that sucks.

I have no advice but would be interested in knowing how it happened so that I can avoid the same mistake.
Didn't have my hand on the fork the whole time I was trying to adjust the fork in the triple trees. Used the tip of a screwdriver to open the top clamp to reposition and out she slid before I could say $300.
leftystrat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:56 PM   #36175
what broke now
Petroleum Brother
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: seattle
Oddometer: 1,018
Bummer.... easy thing to do, like you say it just takes a little slip...

I do think it will weld up though. Ideal would be a combo machine shop-welder so they are careful to preserve dimensions. I would take the whole fork leg, axle, and bolts in, so they see how things have to fit.
what broke now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:01 AM   #36176
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid
 
WeazyBuddha's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: RGV Texas
Oddometer: 4,148
Had no idea those castings were that brittle. Good to know. Thanks for posting.
__________________
A drunk driver killed someone I love
WeazyBuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:02 AM   #36177
leftystrat62
Adventurer
 
leftystrat62's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Little Rhody
Oddometer: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by what broke now View Post
Bummer.... easy thing to do, like you say it just takes a little slip...

I do think it will weld up though. Ideal would be a combo machine shop-welder so they are careful to preserve dimensions. I would take the whole fork leg, axle, and bolts in, so they see how things have to fit.
Decided to bite the bullet and send my forks and rear shock to Go Race since they were all due for a rebuild. That part that I broke was $300. I'm heading out in Aug for a solo TAT run; last thing I need to worry about is -how's that weld holding up as I'm riding the passes in CO. Peace of mind out weighed the expense this time.
leftystrat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 04:35 PM   #36178
jckid
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: CA
Oddometer: 299
In case anyone was wondering about whether my recent issue was due to overfilling my tank (CA model) or a possible fuel pump issue, it seems that it was just due to overfilling the tank. I've ridden the bike almost daily since then, and have had no issues. As a side note, my boss did the exact same thing on his fuel-injected cruiser (also CA model). He overfilled it, let it sit in the sun, gas expanded, bike didn't want to start, then when it did it ran rough. In his case he removed the gas cap right away, which allowed the pressure to escape and fixed itself right away.

So anyway, lesson learned for me. And if you have the CA model too, with the smog equipment still in place, DO NOT fill the tank to the very top, even if you want to squeeze in those last few cents.
__________________
Current: WR250X, CT110
Previous: SM610, KLX351

WR250X ride report: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=903806
jckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:11 PM   #36179
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Prescott AZ
Oddometer: 3,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by jckid View Post
In case anyone was wondering about whether my recent issue was due to overfilling my tank (CA model) or a possible fuel pump issue, it seems that it was just due to overfilling the tank. I've ridden the bike almost daily since then, and have had no issues. As a side note, my boss did the exact same thing on his fuel-injected cruiser (also CA model). He overfilled it, let it sit in the sun, gas expanded, bike didn't want to start, then when it did it ran rough. In his case he removed the gas cap right away, which allowed the pressure to escape and fixed itself right away.

So anyway, lesson learned for me. And if you have the CA model too, with the smog equipment still in place, DO NOT fill the tank to the very top, even if you want to squeeze in those last few cents.
AZ TOM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:33 PM   #36180
Oh2RideMore
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: St Louis MO
Oddometer: 1,264
Thumbs down bad fuel pump again?

Well I went out to start the wr after it was sitting in the sun all day, 85F, and no sound from the pump. Cranks all day long, but no fuel. Put it in the shade, and went to cut the grass. Came back to bike an hour later and it started. Bike now has 16K on it, and first pump was replaced at 3K under warranty. Warranty is up now, so guess I am out to find a pump in the next two weeks. Who has em in stock right now? Service Honda? Or is this just like Tom's gas expansion? Hit the gas station and was 1.25 gallons down, so around .75 gallons in tank.
__________________
2008 WR250R(Anywhere)
2009 Versys

Oh2RideMore screwed with this post 06-19-2013 at 06:42 PM Reason: just read az toms thing
Oh2RideMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014