Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2013, 09:54 AM   #36361
freetors
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 824
Speaking of water cooling and effects of ambient temperature... I have been contemplating installing a hotter thermostat in my WR, if they are available. I have noticed over the year and change the I've owned it that the bike runs significantly better in the summer, especially when the temps are 85+. It seems like there is less vibration, more peppiness, more power, and better gas mileage. In the winter, the bike just doesn't perform as well. Perhaps the OEM tstat opens at too cold a temperature and never really allows the engine to fully warm up? Does anyone know what temperature the stock tstat opens and if there is a hotter version available? Maybe I'll have to get a thermobob
freetors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:14 AM   #36362
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by freetors View Post
Speaking of water cooling and effects of ambient temperature... I have been contemplating installing a hotter thermostat in my WR, if they are available. I have noticed over the year and change the I've owned it that the bike runs significantly better in the summer, especially when the temps are 85+. It seems like there is less vibration, more peppiness, more power, and better gas mileage. In the winter, the bike just doesn't perform as well. Perhaps the OEM tstat opens at too cold a temperature and never really allows the engine to fully warm up? Does anyone know what temperature the stock tstat opens and if there is a hotter version available? Maybe I'll have to get a thermobob
Winter gas might explain seasonal differences in performance.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:15 AM   #36363
viper770
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 576
best thing to do is dont mess with it leave it alone
MY SPOT LOCATION http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...vi71zS820h7TbU
viper770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:39 AM   #36364
freetors
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by viper770 View Post
best thing to do is dont mess with it leave it alone
I would normally agree with that, I'm not the type of person to modify things just for the sake of modifying. In fact I still use the stock exhaust and a completely unmolested airbox. I actually think the engineers knew what they were doing when they designed this bike. However I just can't help but think that the bike runs significantly rougher and less refined during cooler weather.

I did a little research and found that the stock tstat opens at roughly 160 degrees. This is very low in modern for a modern vehicle. Most cars now have at least 180 degree tstats, with even 195 being quite common. There is a reason the OEMs are doing this now, hotter running engines have greater combustion efficiency and better fuel economy. I cringe when I see people put in colder thermostats in bikes and cars. Many people get the wrong idea about how thermostats work. Thermostats can only set the MINIMUM operating temperature, the engine is still going to run at its operating temperature, unless the ambient temperature and the radiator design will not allow it reach that temp. Perhaps the Wr's cooling system just doesn't let it warm up fully in winter climes? Without a temp gauge it's hard to say. But I do know that my WR loves the summer heat, and has never once lit up the temp warning light, even in 105+ degree weather. If I could buy a hotter tstat I would, just need to find one first!
freetors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 11:16 AM   #36365
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,873
Mine runs fine down to -20. Below that, its hard to get started due to the cold... and it did (eventually) warm up to temp.

Winter gas sucks, I always noticed the changeover on my WR when I rode it daily.
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 04:16 PM   #36366
Llamaha
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by freetors View Post
I would normally agree with that, I'm not the type of person to modify things just for the sake of modifying. In fact I still use the stock exhaust and a completely unmolested airbox. I actually think the engineers knew what they were doing when they designed this bike. However I just can't help but think that the bike runs significantly rougher and less refined during cooler weather.

I did a little research and found that the stock tstat opens at roughly 160 degrees. This is very low in modern for a modern vehicle. Most cars now have at least 180 degree tstats, with even 195 being quite common. There is a reason the OEMs are doing this now, hotter running engines have greater combustion efficiency and better fuel economy. I cringe when I see people put in colder thermostats in bikes and cars. Many people get the wrong idea about how thermostats work. Thermostats can only set the MINIMUM operating temperature, the engine is still going to run at its operating temperature, unless the ambient temperature and the radiator design will not allow it reach that temp. Perhaps the Wr's cooling system just doesn't let it warm up fully in winter climes? Without a temp gauge it's hard to say. But I do know that my WR loves the summer heat, and has never once lit up the temp warning light, even in 105+ degree weather. If I could buy a hotter tstat I would, just need to find one first!
It get's very cold in Japan I'm sure they would have the correct thermostat for lower temperatures.
Llamaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 05:47 PM   #36367
Sean-0
Closed

Oddometer: 4,266
I dont think they made the bike to ride in japan .......

Sent from my phone while swerving over the road in my car
Sean-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:50 PM   #36368
what broke now
Petroleum Brother

Oddometer: 1,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamaha;21792588a
It get's very cold in Japan I'm sure they would have the correct thermostat for lower tempertures.
Unless you're on Okinawa
what broke now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:49 PM   #36369
PatrickInVA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by what broke now View Post
Unless you're on Okinawa
That's where I had my year long tropical island "vacation".
PatrickInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:32 PM   #36370
what broke now
Petroleum Brother

Oddometer: 1,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickInVA View Post
That's where I had my year long tropical island "vacation".
Worse places to be these days though, eh?
what broke now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:45 PM   #36371
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,740
Air density is a huge factor in how the bike runs. If I am riding in 100F and over temperatures, the power is way down. Same thing in the car or truck. Cold air temps make for free HP and torque.
Old 07-05-2013, 01:20 AM   #36372
keiji
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,027
So for the 4th of July, I figured I would take my free time and do a valve check.

At 45,000 miles, they haven't budged from what I set them to at 25,000 miles. I've got to say i'm pretty impressed with the longevity of the valves.; whoever decided to cram the valve cover behind so much crap needs to be shot though.
keiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:23 AM   #36373
ArmyJoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,101
Ride report in progress. Four days on the Trans-East Trail - South (TetS) starts here:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...5#post21788845

My latest adventures detailed at ArmyJoe's Perpetual Picture Thread:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=888783
ArmyJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:25 AM   #36374
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,032
Help a noob?

Pretty sure a WR250R is my next bike, but just starting to learn about them. Ideally, I'd like a clean, unmolested bike. Just never can tell what someone did once they start tweaking

With that in mind, there is a nice clean, low mileage 2008 WITH some mods. some of the mods I know about, some not so much. I don't really want to pay the sellers asking for a 5 yr. old bike, but it might be worth it, considering the low mileage AND the mods done.

I have not seen this bike yet, but the sellers seems very responsive and genuine. These bikes sure seem to hold their value!

Localish craigslist ad.

Thoughts on this bike?
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:28 AM   #36375
Mr. Fisherman
Wishin not fishin.

Oddometer: 10,571
Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
Pretty sure a WR250R is my next bike, but just starting to learn about them. Ideally, I'd like a clean, unmolested bike. Just never can tell what someone did once they start tweaking

With that in mind, there is a nice clean, low mileage 2008 WITH some mods. some of the mods I know about, some not so much. I don't really want to pay the sellers asking for a 5 yr. old bike, but it might be worth it, considering the low mileage AND the mods done.

I have not seen this bike yet, but the sellers seems very responsive and genuine. These bikes sure seem to hold their value!

Localish craigslist ad.

Thoughts on this bike?
Not a terrible price but you might do better.
Ymmv in that part of the country. When I bought mine I traveled a long ways to get it.
Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote