Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2013, 12:52 PM   #36511
Sewerat
Cert. bike whore

Oddometer: 1,229
Just got the gf a dr200. Good bike for her, again would like a wr but too tall. I think the new xt250 might be the replacement bike in the future.
Old 07-12-2013, 02:22 PM   #36512
tommu56
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,272
Quote:
Originally Posted by duanew1 View Post
Mine is my wife's bike. I would like to get her on a WR but it is really too tall. I would have to start with a WR250X and lower it in order to make it comfortable. I really think that the Super Sherpa is a better bike than the XT225 but they are harder to find. I used to own a Super Sherpa before I met my wife and I loved it.
If she is learning / vertically challenged look at a TW200.
My wife is 5` 3" and the TW is her first bike.

fat fingered on a droid
tommu56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 02:37 PM   #36513
kawagumby
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 769
Question

Hey guys,
I'm thinking of putting the FMF Q4 S/A Silencer on my 08 WRR. Will it be worth it w/o a programmer? I'm looking for more grunt (like everyone else, LOL).
Thanks -
Old 07-12-2013, 03:52 PM   #36514
ADWrider
AKA Acorn27

Oddometer: 78
I normally do everything I can to stay off the interstate, but today I needed to hit the slab for a few miles. I won't call it "headshake" 'cause I used to road race and I know what that is, but has anyone had significant head wobble in the 70-80 mph range? I have an X with 17" wheels and Shinko 244 tires @ 30 psi, no steering damper. It *almost* got bad enough for me to slow down. Seemed to be caused by a headwind/slight crosswind. Common? Or time to check the head bearings?
Old 07-12-2013, 03:56 PM   #36515
duanew1
In my Pajama pants

Oddometer: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommu56 View Post
If she is learning / vertically challenged look at a TW200.
My wife is 5` 3" and the TW is her first bike.

fat fingered on a droid
She has been doing fine on the XT for a couple of years now so no need to go lower.

I have heard that the TW200 is a very fun bike but it is velocity challenged.
2008 SYM HD200
duanew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 05:36 PM   #36516
Sewerat
Cert. bike whore

Oddometer: 1,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADWrider View Post
I normally do everything I can to stay off the interstate, but today I needed to hit the slab for a few miles. I won't call it "headshake" 'cause I used to road race and I know what that is, but has anyone had significant head wobble in the 70-80 mph range? I have an X with 17" wheels and Shinko 244 tires @ 30 psi, no steering damper. It *almost* got bad enough for me to slow down. Seemed to be caused by a headwind/slight crosswind. Common? Or time to check the head bearings?
I have gotten it a lot on the r2. I just sit back on the bike a little farther and it goes away
Old 07-12-2013, 06:11 PM   #36517
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,735
>"I'm thinking of putting the FMF Q4 S/A Silencer on my 08 WRR. Will it be worth it w/o a programmer?"

IMHO: Probably not.

Remove extra garbage from bike.
Tank - 3.1 or 4.5
Open the airbox
Programmer + Q4
Header
SeatConcepts seat.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:08 PM   #36518
tommu56
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,272
Quote:
Originally Posted by duanew1 View Post
She has been doing fine on the XT for a couple of years now so no need to go lower.

I have heard that the TW200 is a very fun bike but it is velocity challenged.
I put a 47 tooth on the back and that helped with the velocity problem

fat fingered on a droid
tommu56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 01:30 AM   #36519
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,860
Quote:
Its the nature of the 244's imo. I never liked it much on the front except for wear, damn thing lasted forever. Can't hurt to check, grease, and retorque the bearings if you haven't yet, but a new front tire would probably be the fix.
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 04:12 AM   #36520
dnsjo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Mastering gravel

I've had my WR for about a year now. After 30 years off from riding, I initially picked up an XT225 (now trying to sell), then the WR. My idea of motorcycling is to get away from traffic, so I go seeking gravel roads in the country and forests. My first endeavors had me wide-eyed and white-knuckled, to say the least, but I gradually got better.

My approach to most things is to learn from others ( I love this forum!), but finding any instruction on riding gravel has been hard. YouTube has some clips, but they're geared toward big street machines.

I'd like to hear some of your tips and techniques for mastering turns on gravel, including tire choices. I've come up with a few myself in my few outings, but they're fairly basic.

BTW, Is there a forum or thread for riding technique? I watched a clip here of a WR pilot bailing while crossing railroad tracks, which set me to seeking YT clips on how to cross them (Found one....sorta).

Anyway, TIA. I'll sum up things in a list at the end. I do appreciate the help in not scarring up my plastic, metal, and flesh!

Neal
dnsjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 06:11 AM   #36521
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnsjo View Post
I've had my WR for about a year now. After 30 years off from riding, I initially picked up an XT225 (now trying to sell), then the WR. My idea of motorcycling is to get away from traffic, so I go seeking gravel roads in the country and forests. My first endeavors had me wide-eyed and white-knuckled, to say the least, but I gradually got better.

My approach to most things is to learn from others ( I love this forum!), but finding any instruction on riding gravel has been hard. YouTube has some clips, but they're geared toward big street machines.

I'd like to hear some of your tips and techniques for mastering turns on gravel, including tire choices. I've come up with a few myself in my few outings, but they're fairly basic.

BTW, Is there a forum or thread for riding technique? I watched a clip here of a WR pilot bailing while crossing railroad tracks, which set me to seeking YT clips on how to cross them (Found one....sorta).

Anyway, TIA. I'll sum up things in a list at the end. I do appreciate the help in not scarring up my plastic, metal, and flesh!

Neal
Gravel roads, set suspension on the soft side, 13 to 15 max psi on the tires, reasonable speed & practice,practice,practice
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 07:09 AM   #36522
jgormley
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 718
Dirt Riding Tips

I am new to dirt riding and these are some of the tips I got..
I am no expert but here goes..

On fast dirt corners try leaning the bike more than your body angle.
This is on a nice dirt road...not single track.
I get a safer feeling doing it this way. (This is my own cheat to ride with faster riders..)

On sand, sit back to lighten up the front and give it some gas, also
lightens up the front.

Uphill on a rocky section, stand up, keep the gas on, hold gas steady and
use the clutch, and sometimes give it the gas and hang on! (this is what you are looking for...right)

Downhill rocky: sit back, and be ready to give is some gas to pop over anything extra bumpy.

Puddles: Follow someone if you can. If they fall try the other side.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:57 AM   #36523
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer: 4,317
Quote:
I get this on my stock 2012 R that I recently bought. It is NOT a highway bike. I figured the shaking around at its highest speeds seems to me to be normal for what the bike is, the highway is not it's preferred playground.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:10 AM   #36524
yaw
lost

Oddometer: 73
bubbles in gas tank

I have a IMS 4.7 gal tank. When the bike is running there are bubbles in the tank. Anyone else notice this? Is it normal? I'm having trouble with my bike dying at idle and trying to get to the bottom of it. Thanks!
yaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 08:14 AM   #36525
kawagumby
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightZone View Post
>"I'm thinking of putting the FMF Q4 S/A Silencer on my 08 WRR. Will it be worth it w/o a programmer?"

IMHO: Probably not.

Remove extra garbage from bike.
Tank - 3.1 or 4.5
Open the airbox
Programmer + Q4
Header
SeatConcepts seat.
I bought this bike new in 08. Seat, tank, airbox mods done a long time ago. (Frankly, the most important upgrade is suspension, IMO).

I guess what I should have asked is :

Has anyone here put just the FMF aftermarket pipe on and noticed a decent gain in horsepower without any reliability or lean running issues?

I'm an experienced rider who doesn't want to spend a lot of money for just a few HP, I don't need it. What I'm thinking is that both the weight reduction and a noticeable HP gain would be worth the price of a pipe without the programmer, IF that works.

Thanks