Oddometer: 76
what's 35mm film?

I think I've heard of that stuff.
yaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:49 AM   #36587
Sean-0
Closed

Oddometer: 4,129
So talked to the Son today about oil change ..he told me yam manual says 1000kms ...WTF that's less than my xrr ...I thought these things ran long k's b4 oil is needed .....its 4000kms from home to alice for his oil change or he can change oil with me 3000k's out from alice

I heard 5000kms oil change on a wrr ....so I thought no worries he change out with me at alice ...means we don't need to carry oil as most of the towns we visit wont have oil till alice

anyways what say you? change him out with me at 3000kms from alice ?
Sean-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 02:49 AM   #36588
ET-VT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
You can download the manual from Yamaha for free.

The FIRST oil change is at 1,000 km, but it's every 5,000 km after that.
ET-VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 02:51 AM   #36589
Sean-0
Closed

Oddometer: 4,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by ET-VT View Post
You can download the manual from Yamaha for free.

The FIRST oil change is at 1,000 km, but it's every 5,000 km after that.
thank you ... I have the manual here I have not read it ... its my sons bike .....good to know tho ... I shall read the service part myself tomorrow at work
Sean-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:08 AM   #36590
goroka
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean-0 View Post
thank you ... I have the manual here I have not read it ... its my sons bike .....good to know tho ... I shall read the service part myself tomorrow at work

Not sure if this helps - did Cooktown - Tip - Daintree with no change as I felt that fell in the 5000km type of conditions. At home most of the stuff is in Kenilworth/Beerburrum so I work on 1500km on the theory that oil is cheaper than an early rebuild.

Cheers
goroka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:38 AM   #36591
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,884
Can't seem to find what I'm looking for...

My new to me WRR has a FMF Q4 and Powerbomb header. I'm gonna put stock exhaust back on.

a) leave powerbomb on? Any gain over stock header WITH stock exhaust?

b) take powerbomb off and put stock header back on?

If there is no power difference, I'll likely remove both. More to sell for farkles I really want. If there is a power difference, I'll likely keep the powerbomb on. Goal here is a quieter bike, not a couple hp.

Thanks.
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:54 AM   #36592
japako
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post

My new to me WRR has a FMF Q4 and Powerbomb header. I'm gonna put stock exhaust back on.

If there is no power difference, I'll likely remove both. More to sell for farkles I really want. If there is a power difference, I'll likely keep the powerbomb on. Goal here is a quieter bike, not a couple hp.

Thanks.
I can't help first hand, but mine is stock and it is fast enough for me. It is also quite.
I read on the 250 forum and some people did not notice a difference while others said they did.

It is kind of up to you. If you want less mgp, and a load noise, and maybe a couple of hp, go for it.
The only way you will feel a difference in my opinion, is to go with a total mod, including a larger jug and piston. jmho
japako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:18 AM   #36593
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 8,944
Cool2 do it or dont

Quote:

My new to me WRR has a FMF Q4 and Powerbomb header. I'm gonna put stock exhaust back on. .
I had a PB and stock pipe that I opened up a bit by drilling out the flat baffle you can see if you remove the tip and look inside.
I'd say a bit more poop than the stock header but nothing to write home about.
I also had a stock pipe with the cat section removed. It wasn't much diff at all.

That said, your best bet is to do the whole FMF mod or not at all.
Q4, PB, and controller. On my friend's stock bike with the airbox door removed, and the FMF package installed, bike ran almost as well as my Athena kitted bike, but without the vibration...

Bone stock and constricted the bike is pretty tame.
Opening up the airbox is a good thing, but most of the noise on a WR comes directly from the airbox, right up into your helmet. The pipe noise is incidental in comparison.

Cheap alternative mod is the airbox flapper, drilled airbox door, and open up the stock pipe.
believe me, I tried it all...

Now if you're looking for some farkles, I have a nice set of Pivot Pegz in the FM......

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:37 AM   #36594
coresports
coresports

Oddometer: 227
i would put the entire exhaust back to stock along with the EXUP valve if you have it as that improves low/mid range response, it will be quiet but still peppy and you wont have to repack the muffler. i have ran stock vs modded wrr's side by side and there is just not that much difference, imo. modded bikes have less mpg/more noise and unlike my neighbor with a harley, i want my neighbors to like me!

Quote:

Thanks.
coresports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:33 AM   #36595
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by coresports View Post
i would put the entire exhaust back to stock along with the EXUP valve...
Hmm. Alright. Mine is removed. Anybody want to dispute this? What about the AIS? Its been blocked off..
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:55 PM   #36596
DougZ73
Lacks Freetime

Oddometer: 6,648
The whole stock vs aftermarket exhaust/ programmer has been debated multiples times in this thread as well as other sites. Each has its advantages.

Stock: quieter, heavier, less restrictive bottom end, more restrictive top end

Aftermarket: Louder( model depending), lighter, more(hair) restrictive bottom end((less power)), less restrictive top end

EXUP valve: In my opinion, based on what I have read and seen of vids in its action on the WR250R/X, its function is more for show and EPA noise standards than anything else. Extra weight.

AIS: Again, in my opinion, its post combustion, so only there for emissions reasoning and does nothing for running of bike. Extra weight.

Programmer: Stock maps are never optimal due to regulations they have to meet, for a street bike. Yes, Japanese engineers are very smart people, and make the best map they can to meet the needs and guidelines they have to have the bike fall into. BUT, especially when changing around the restrictive exhaust, changes are need to map.

So, for me, I wanted the lighter weight, and less restrictive top end( bike does not make a lot of power low anyway...so who cares about lower end). I used gearing changes to get a little more grunt on low end. I am also not worried about noise....I like to hear my bikes personally. I got rid of the EXUP and AIS....just weight to make the bike heavier than it needed to be.
And to boot, I got a used FMF Q4 can and a new programmer( private seller) for about $250 combined.

So, that was the right decision for me..others may vary. Get what works best for you.
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:00 PM   #36597
viper770
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 562
well said my freind well said
MY SPOT LOCATION http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...vi71zS820h7TbU
viper770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:35 PM   #36598
ryguy83
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
The whole stock vs aftermarket exhaust/ programmer has been debated multiples times in this thread as well as other sites. Each has its advantages.

Stock: quieter, heavier, less restrictive bottom end, more restrictive top end

Aftermarket: Louder( model depending), lighter, more(hair) restrictive bottom end((less power)), less restrictive top end

EXUP valve: In my opinion, based on what I have read and seen of vids in its action on the WR250R/X, its function is more for show and EPA noise standards than anything else. Extra weight.

AIS: Again, in my opinion, its post combustion, so only there for emissions reasoning and does nothing for running of bike. Extra weight.

Programmer: Stock maps are never optimal due to regulations they have to meet, for a street bike. Yes, Japanese engineers are very smart people, and make the best map they can to meet the needs and guidelines they have to have the bike fall into. BUT, especially when changing around the restrictive exhaust, changes are need to map.

So, for me, I wanted the lighter weight, and less restrictive top end( bike does not make a lot of power low anyway...so who cares about lower end). I used gearing changes to get a little more grunt on low end. I am also not worried about noise....I like to hear my bikes personally. I got rid of the EXUP and AIS....just weight to make the bike heavier than it needed to be.
And to boot, I got a used FMF Q4 can and a new programmer( private seller) for about $250 combined.

So, that was the right decision for me..others may vary. Get what works best for you.
I read somewhere the powerbomb is for more top end, and the megabomb is for more bottom, being that the wr is already weak at the bottom,I'd go with a megabomb.

-ry
ryguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:47 PM   #36599
DougZ73
Lacks Freetime

Oddometer: 6,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryguy83 View Post
I read somewhere the powerbomb is for more top end, and the megabomb is for more bottom, being that the wr is already weak at the bottom,I'd go with a megabomb.

-ry
I still have my stock header, so I really don't know. Personally, buying new, seems like a lot of money for maybe 0.7 HP it may add.
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:49 PM   #36600
ryguy83
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
I still have my stock header, so I really don't know. Personally, buying new, seems like a lot of money for maybe 0.7 HP it may add.

True true, I just don't like stock exhausts,I just need that aftermarket look, to each his own I guess right.

Where ya from in jerz, I'm right around the block from Pnc Arts Center. Ya know where that is?

-ry
ryguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote