Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2013, 04:25 PM   #36646
mpatch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 862
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawagumby View Post
Damping settings aside,

If you weigh less than 175 the stock rear spring may be too stiff, you can compensate by going with a little more rider sag than usual - experiment.

The front forks come all screwed up - the spring rate is OK for most middle-sized guys, but the oil is a bit too heavy and there is too much of it.

You can make the forks supple by replacing the oil with a light 5wt - I used amsoil, and setting the oil height to 115 or 120 mm.

My bike came with one fork oil level at 90mm and one at 95. They had a mid-stroke spike and were not getting full travel, and were harsh in general. Now, after the oil change there is more air cushion and the forks go through the full range of travel without a hiccup. They absorb small bumps, rocks, etc completely. Huge difference. I've barely bottomed them on really rough off-road stuff with the 120mm oil setting (I weigh 160). Gone is the "hang on tight or die" syndrome.
IMO they need more compression damping, but that's another story - as they come with tiny 16mm diameter compression stacks that only flow about one-third of what std kayaba compression stacks can flow. Why the factory went to such a small mickey-mouse stack design I cannot understand. Just changing the oil as I've described will make the forks more than acceptable for most riders.

I had the best luck, damping-setting wise with the fork compression all the way in (full compression) and the rear shock with full rebound. I ride off-road on worn out trails with lots of square edged holes and small jumps. Those settings are needed to keep the rear from coming up and pitching you forward off of jumps, water bars, etc. I was running fork rebound at middle area and shock compression light. Everyone rides a little different so you should do some experimenting.

With regard to the rear shock, I finally caved and had GoRace revalve the thing (I also went to the next lighter spring) - his experience will net a one-time revalve - I can attest the shock action is now as good as my off-road bikes. With regard to the front, I'm now setting up WR450 forks for the bike as they are more tunable and have a normal stack size (I ride very technical black-diamond single-track with this beast so I might be demanding a little more than the average rider).
I ride behind ktm's more than most and as I'm bouncing around they just coast on. Can the wrr's suspension be made anywhere near that of a WP ktm? The only strong arm I have is that I ride there/back and they trailer it,

+30-50 pounds and -5-20hp with second rate components but I try to keep up
mpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 04:44 PM   #36647
kawagumby
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 847
Probably not in terms of hard, fast riding, but in terms of control and plushness and improving speed with the WRR, I highly recommend the GoRace shock revalve and modifying the fork as noted. But in all fairness, a 300 lb bike even with a high-end suspension isn't going to float along. I'm enjoying riding my WRR in tighter situations - I see it as a challenge - and I'm having fun trying different mods too.
Old 07-19-2013, 04:58 PM   #36648
what broke now
Petroleum Brother

Oddometer: 1,302
"I should get the bike on the trail next week - I'll report back on how it works."

__________________________________________________ ___________

Thanks for the effort, looks like up to 2004 the wrf's had 46mm.

Did you not think you could make adequate improvement to the wrr's shim stacks, so you went to the swap?
what broke now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 05:59 PM   #36649
Mr. Fisherman
PROUD 2B Riff Raff!

Oddometer: 10,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
This is great advice! Would you like my neighbors phone # to explain? He called a little bit ago whining about being woken up at 3:00am when I left to go to work
Sure, I work nights and would have no problem calling him at 2:30 to remind him to put in ear plugs Stock is not a lot quieter...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmotten View Post

Would love it if you could film it and post it on youtube.
Yes please...
Mr. Fisherman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 06:01 PM   #36650
kawagumby
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 847
Yes, I pulled the stacks out and they were pretty pathetic. I think there were four or five small diameter (16mm) shims as I recall, and the base valve openings were very small because of it's overall size. The openings were maximized within the diameter but still much smaller than the larger stacks of WR and YZ's. You could spend $170 or so for gold valves but I don't see how that could possibly make much improvement. The whole design is a compromise - with the smaller axle, etc. Kinda disappointing, when I bought the bike, the forks appeared to be the std KYB off-road issue, but they aren't.

I've got a YZ wheel on it now and everything bolts up fine, the brake caliper works well with the slightly narrower YZ rotor. I'm waiting on the bar risers, then I can take it out for a trial run. I'm leaving everything stock in the WR450 forks for now, they only had about 400 miles on them - I'm just going to center the damping settings until trail time.
Old 07-19-2013, 07:25 PM   #36651
Bogus Jim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawagumby View Post
Yes, I pulled the stacks out and they were pretty pathetic. I think there were four or five small diameter (16mm) shims as I recall, and the base valve openings were very small because of it's overall size.
Here's the stock base valve piston. 20mm OD. Kinda small...

Travis at GoRace sells (or used to sell) a fork revalve kit for those who want to save a few bucks and DIY, versus sending in the forks. The kit includes a different piston. I sent my shock to GoRace and put the fork kit in myself; while it's a vast improvement I don't think the forks are as good as a WRF. I don't recall the price of the kit.

As far as the WRR suspenders ever being anywhere near the WP KTM, I would agree with everything kawagumby said.
Bogus Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:33 PM   #36652
Sean-0
straya carnt

Oddometer: 4,299
Ready to head out ...Cross country 5,500 miles over the nxt 3 weeks
go lil Wr250r

Sean-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:42 PM   #36653
Sean-0
straya carnt

Old 07-19-2013, 08:48 PM   #36654
Sean-0
straya carnt

Old 07-19-2013, 08:48 PM   #36655
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,760
GO Sean GO!!
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:14 PM   #36656
what broke now
Petroleum Brother

Oddometer: 1,302
Have fun boys... Sean, watchout that white yamaha doesn't kick your ass!
what broke now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:23 PM   #36657
Sean-0
straya carnt

im a bit worried bout that also ......she's a well setup bike
Old 07-19-2013, 11:35 PM   #36658
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,888
How noisy is the Staintune Sean? The one I test road a couple of years ago was a shocker at higher revs.

Have a safe journey and tell your son not to ride too fast when he is towing you.

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:44 PM   #36659
Sean-0
straya carnt

Ha ...he was on about that today ...he wanted a tow strap in the bag ..I said why ? he says what happens if I need to tow you

its a lil loud Cruz but has a nice note ...it aint as loud as my bike buddy so there's no worries for me
Old 07-20-2013, 07:13 AM   #36660
ba_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,659
rear flasher 32C-83330-00-00

Anyone have stock a rear flasher (part 32C-83330-00-00) they are willing to sell? I broke one of mine and the part is on national backorder.