Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2013, 06:27 PM   #37261
Bogus Jim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
WRR died

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexaNate View Post
Sounds like fuel pump to me but I think it could also be a flaky killswitch or tip-sensor?
Hadn't thought of that. I rode in a boatload of rain on this trip, I wonder if a drop of moisture got in the killswitch perhaps?

My first pump went out at 12k miles, but symptoms were different - pump wouldn't spin up when it was hot out. Leave it set 30 minutes in the shade, then it would start. The second pump also has about 12k miles on it now... maybe I'll be proactive and replace the pump unit with one of those eBay pumps or CA Cycleworks.

Kinda shakes your confidence when a bike dies on you in the middle of nowhere, even if it does restart immediately.
Bogus Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:08 PM   #37262
BMW-K
F800GS FTW!

Oddometer: 1,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamaha View Post
Can I please ask a question for anyone that has put knobbies on their WR250X? (Specifically Pirelli MT21's)

Did you have to alter the sprocket to counter the increase in diameter of the rear wheel? How many teeth did you offset by?

I'm thinking of running 13 / 45 or 13 / 47.

Thanks.
I'm running 13/48 on Pirelli Scorp Mid-Hard dot MX's. I top out at about 80 mph on the open highway, pinned to the stops.

I like having the super low granny first off-road. It works well when I absolutely need to tractor in unkind situations.

For pure street riding I like 14/48 with a more street oriented tire. The bike just feels more relaxed.

IBA # 20880. STFU and Ride.
BMW-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:17 PM   #37263
Llamaha
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogus Jim View Post
Hadn't thought of that. I rode in a boatload of rain on this trip, I wonder if a drop of moisture got in the killswitch perhaps?
Just to add to this, a short while ago I left my WRX in the rain and it started then I rode 20m and it cut out, took about 2 minutes to get going again. This is the only problem I've ever had with it and I'm sure it was due to the rain.
Llamaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:22 PM   #37264
BluePill
AARP Slacker

Oddometer: 4,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamaha View Post
Just to add to this, a short while ago I left my WRX in the rain and it started then I rode 20m and it cut out, took about 2 minutes to get going again. This is the only problem I've ever had with it and I'm sure it was due to the rain.

Could also be the main ignition switch (with key), since it points up. I usually shoot a small bit of WD-40 in there after riding in the rain. At the least, it makes the key a bit easier to turn - and hopefully drives out any moisture also.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:01 PM   #37265
RonKZ650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-K View Post
I'm running 13/48 on Pirelli Scorp Mid-Hard dot MX's. I top out at about 80 mph on the open highway, pinned to the stops.

I like having the super low granny first off-road. It works well when I absolutely need to tractor in unkind situations.

For pure street riding I like 14/48 with a more street oriented tire. The bike just feels more relaxed.
Is that 80mph GPS or indicated by the Yamaha speedometer is the question? Yamaha speedo is 20mph off at least at 80, so you go by that, you are only going 60mph, more likely 55. I'm even being generous in this, mine was off 15mph at an indicated 50 I was only going 35mph. Talk about an award winning optomistic speedo! The WR250 wins the prize of the last 100yrs far as I know.
RonKZ650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 11:26 PM   #37266
pookguy88
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
just took mine out on the freeway for the first time, only has ~150 miles on it so I didn't push her too hard, but it felt pretty good at ~ 90-100 kph. I'm hoping to go on a 150 mile trip once I finish the break in and cruise around 120 kph (~ 75 mph) so we'll see if that's comfortable. I know the speedo is way off so I'll get a GPS at that time.

At these speeds, how much does rider weight affect speed/acceleration/torque?
pookguy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 11:50 PM   #37267
johnkol
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by japako View Post
Good thread. Have any of you used Mobil 1 10/40 in the wr and tested it?
That's what I'm using, but have not tested. So far I like it, but do change early.
By "tested" you mean in a lab? I haven't done that, but I have tested it in my DR650 that had a very notchy gearbox. Tried Rotella T5 (dino oil), Rotella T6 (synthetic), Mobil 1 Auto (synthetic) and they were all about the same -- notchiness persisted.

Then I tried Mobil 1 4T (specifically for motorcycles) and the gearbox suddenly started shifting smoothly.

So the first thing I did when I got the WRR (used) was to change the oil to Mobil 1 4T.

Both Rotella oils are JASO MA certified, but none of them worked for me.
johnkol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 01:41 AM   #37268
theneablood
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Hey hoho i ve just bought my 2013 last week.It feels so good to ride

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 4
theneablood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 05:48 AM   #37269
rsteiger
Bob

Oddometer: 191
WR250R - Water in Crankcase

While riding the COBDR a few weeks ago we came across a mud puddle that for some reason I thought it would be best to charge across instead of navigate around:

As you can see in the video I was not successful. You can also see the bike was not completely immersed either. However once I pulled the bike out I could not get it to start. About 2 hours later we figured out that water had gotten into the crankcase (mind you the bike was not hydrolocked nor did the airbox look wet on the inside).

After 4 oil changes and a new filter I was good to go.

So any one have an idea on how water got into the crankcase from this little episode?
2001 GasGas XC250
rsteiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 06:14 AM   #37270
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by pookguy88 View Post
just took mine out on the freeway for the first time, only has ~150 miles on it so I didn't push her too hard, but it felt pretty good at ~ 90-100 kph. I'm hoping to go on a 150 mile trip once I finish the break in and cruise around 120 kph (~ 75 mph) so we'll see if that's comfortable. I know the speedo is way off so I'll get a GPS at that time.

It's a 250 dirt bike so you won't be very comfy (buffeting) and the bike won't feel very powerful (accelerating, torque) when cruising at 75 MPH, it's pretty much running full tilt to travel at that speed. Of course your size/weight seriously affects the small bike more than a bigger one. These are tough little motors, but I've never felt it makes a lot of sense to run anything at full throttle for long periods of time. And why? If you want to zoom around everywhere at 75+ mph the WR may be the wrong tool. Slow down, find some good back roads, and enjoy!

Doug Sorry, I seem to be channeling my father.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:07 AM   #37271
woofer2609
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 690
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by manfromthestix View Post
It's a 250 dirt bike so you won't be very comfy (buffeting) and the bike won't feel very powerful (accelerating, torque) when cruising at 75 MPH, it's pretty much running full tilt to travel at that speed. Of course your size/weight seriously affects the small bike more than a bigger one. These are tough little motors, but I've never felt it makes a lot of sense to run anything at full throttle for long periods of time. And why? If you want to zoom around everywhere at 75+ mph the WR may be the wrong tool. Slow down, find some good back roads, and enjoy!

Doug Sorry, I seem to be channeling my father.
^What manfromthestix said.
Overall weight won't affect the top speed, which is either mechanically or drag limited, depending on gearing/ weather conditions. It definitely affects acceleration, and torque will be a constant at any given RPM, regardless of weight.
If you're talking level ground, my bike with stock engine maxes out at a true GPS 82-83mph with 13/47 gearing, right at its hp peak in 6th. Getting those 7-8 mph from 75-82 took a lot of road That doesn't leave too much room for WEP.
I don't think it is any faster w/ stock gears. What's the fastest level ground speed anyone's got with stock gearing?
Bike seems happiest by far at 55-60 mph.
woofer2609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:32 AM   #37272
Crazy_Dave
Back'in it in

Oddometer: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by chabon View Post
I am beginning to go for the chain theory. Went loose and got 20 miles on slider. Went tight and its better but wearing. I think the chain is getting kinks and like you say, it comes off the front sprocket at a higher angle. I've used 13 and 14 without much difference. The 14 is probably only 3/16" bigger in radius and the slider is getting carved a good 5/8" with either sprocket.

Time for a new chain, cheaper than replacing sliders after while!
Wait, so your slider deteriorated faster with a loose chain?

I wonder if there’s a difference in chain thickness between o-ring and non- o-ring chains.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:13 AM   #37273
kawagumby
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by woofer2609 View Post
^Overall weight won't affect the top speed, which is either mechanically or drag limited, depending on gearing/ weather conditions.
All other factors being equal, I think more weight increases friction at virtually every juncture... From tire compound, sidewall stresses, through the drive train to the engine - and more friction would rob HP, reducing top speed. Gravity's force would need to be vectored in, wouldn't it, and would not be trivial in terms of limiting top speed?
Old 08-16-2013, 09:21 AM   #37274
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,116
Quote:

I cruise mine 65mph-70 indicated. On grades it goes to the throttle stop and as soon as the revs start dropping I downshift and she'll come right back up to speed. If she drops of that, I go to 4th gear and she'll come right back up to 65-70. I try and cruise her just shy of the throttle stop.

I weigh about 190 and my travel kit is about another 30lbs.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:51 AM   #37275
chabon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Dave View Post
Wait, so your slider deteriorated faster with a loose chain?

I wonder if there’s a difference in chain thickness between o-ring and non- o-ring chains.
Ya, I put on new slider, drove 20 miles and it was gone. I had the chain set looser than I would have liked but thought I would test it as some people said looser was better. Not in my case. I think it allowed the chain to slap up against the slider as it came off the front sprocket.

So I ended up releasing the shock and moving the swingarm until the chain had about 1/4" movement at its tightest point and used this as my set point. Not enough miles to know if its working yet.
Chabón - F650 Funduro - WR250X
chabon is offline   Reply With Quote