Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2013, 09:20 AM   #37471
Revvy
Okayest Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchiespg View Post
What are you guys doing for power needs on this bike?
I'm wanting to have gps power hard wired. 12v cigarette style for charging my cell phone etc and heated grips.
Has anyone used a fuzeblock on this bike to give switched power? If so where did you fit it? Where did you steal the switched 12v power from for the fuzeblock's relay?
Picking up my 2013 this week.
Cheers.
I used the Eastern Beaver harness. I have heated grips, USB, and the GPS on a switched harness. Very clean looking, I like it a lot. I took the switched power from brake light. Search this thread and you'll find pics of the install done by others.
Revvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:26 AM   #37472
kawagumby
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnkol View Post
Top end power between a 400S and a WRR is the same? Let's be reasonable here, there is no way that this can happen given the similar engine technologies.

Sure, the 400S did not have the power of the 400E (about 43 hp), but it was putting out around 35 hp when the WRR (in stock form) puts out 26 hp.

So yes, the WRR puts out more power than the 400S in relative terms (60% more displacement, but only 35% more power), but the absolute numbers favour the DRZ.

I've read differing HP numbers re the 400S vs 250R. I don't think the peak HP differences are likely so great as the numbers you quote. But numbers aside, I owned an 04 DRZ400S for 2 years, kept it stock other than jetting and air filter box changes. I also now own an 08 WR250R. The WR, with some break-in time, stock pipe with open airbox actually wheelies about the same as the 400S over obstacles, and has, amazingly, improved it's power output as the miles pile on. The engine technologies may be similar, but the specific differences, fuel injection, higher compression, the exup (which works great for off-road, IMO), better head flow design, etc. lead to a more efficient engine, power-wise. I've also tweaked the FI with the on-board computer for a little more grunt. (increased CO value= richer).

Back in 08 nobody knew much about the WR250R, but a dealer offered me a test ride on a bike that he couldn't get rid of (I wasn't even looking at buying a bike then, I had just bought an 08 KLR). So, just for fun, I took it for a spin. That was all I needed -

I almost sold the thing when I bought a Husky TR650...but it was the TR650 that didn't make the cut....
Old 08-25-2013, 09:42 AM   #37473
woofer2609
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowadvrider View Post
the teachers have a union that protects child molsters and keeps them from getting fired!
?
woofer2609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:49 AM   #37474
bxr140
Flame Bait

Oddometer: 1,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by woofer2609 View Post
?
Please don't feed the trolls.
This is a WR250 thread.
bxr140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:49 AM   #37475
woofer2609
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 629

OK, putting this to rest. I changed my rear tire and put on the rear axle nut with the tool kit wrench. Using a hard boot and holding onto my TCI rack while putting as much muscle into the nut as possible, I then got my torque wrench
(Yes, it's calibrated) and it was at 80ft/lbs. I weigh app. 160 lbs. So, agreed, it works as a trail side fix, and the nut will probably stay on there, but because of my slightly paranoid self I did a little mod while the axle was off.
woofer2609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:36 AM   #37476
ba_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,526
skid plate noise

To whoever recommended getting 1/8" nylon washers to put between the plate and the mounting points,

Best $0.40 I've ever spent
Old 08-25-2013, 10:52 AM   #37477
DaymienRules
Traffic target

Oddometer: 197
Having the wrr and a 400sm in the garage right now, I'm a little jealous of the drz's additional power. The torque at about 1/3 throttle means you can roll on accelerate when the wrr requires a downshift.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
DaymienRules is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:16 AM   #37478
bracky72
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 918
Quote:
Originally Posted by ba_ View Post
To whoever recommended getting 1/8" nylon washers to put between the plate and the mounting points,

I use garden hose washers/gaskets in between my skid plate and the frame. They work great at dampening vibration. I will try nylon washers.
bracky72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:32 AM   #37479
Revvy
Okayest Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by ba_ View Post

I was getting contact between the plate and the frame, after installing the washers, at a specific rpm level. I ended up putting two more washers on the very end of the plate. The plate would vibrate just a little bit harder at this one spot while turning the throttle and cause a brief but loud vibration noise. Used a bit of super glue to put two nylon washers between the plate and frame. Thing is as quiet as stock now.
Revvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:51 AM   #37480
crunchiespg
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 898
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
I used the Eastern Beaver harness. I have heated grips, USB, and the GPS on a switched harness. Very clean looking, I like it a lot. I took the switched power from brake light. Search this thread and you'll find pics of the install done by others.
Cheers. Looks like the pc8 is a good piece of kit.

http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Wi...PC-8/pc-8.html

What length relay harness would work well with this bike?

The 3 circuit would work for now. But having the open options could be nice later. I'm sure there's space to fit the pc8 somewhere.

crunchiespg screwed with this post 08-25-2013 at 01:37 PM
crunchiespg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 04:39 PM   #37481
tmotten
Lefthand ride Dutchy

Oddometer: 2,455
Mate, I wouldn't get the 8 circuit one. If you leave all the stock gear on it (EXUP, etc) there is hardly any room. I've just installed the 3 circuit one with relay kit for my GPS, phone, LED's, battery tender (not switched and separately fused), heated grips, USB connector all up front and an SAE connector under the seat.

To fit the relay I had to drill a hole in plastics (rear fender) right below the OEM relays and relocate (shove) the flasher relay out of the way to fit the fuse box. The supplied harness is long enough.

Haven't got any pics and won't be able to get any for a while because of my broken arm sorry. The currents are so low I just coupled a few devices to a single fuse.

I found good ground from the cable guides/ instrument bracket up front which have a steel wire loop perfect for putting a bolt through for ring terminals. The positive wires run beautifully along the throttle cable.

For switched power I used the OEM connector for the license plate light which I don't use because I took the OEM gear off. I hope Alberta inspection won't pick that up.
tmotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 05:20 PM   #37482
crunchiespg
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 898
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmotten View Post
Mate, I wouldn't get the 8 circuit one. If you leave all the stock gear on it (EXUP, etc) there is hardly any room. I've just installed the 3 circuit one with relay kit for my GPS, phone, LED's, battery tender (not switched and separately fused), heated grips, USB connector all up front and an SAE connector under the seat.

To fit the relay I had to drill a hole in plastics (rear fender) right below the OEM relays and relocate (shove) the flasher relay out of the way to fit the fuse box. The supplied harness is long enough.

Haven't got any pics and won't be able to get any for a while because of my broken arm sorry. The currents are so low I just coupled a few devices to a single fuse.

I found good ground from the cable guides/ instrument bracket up front which have a steel wire loop perfect for putting a bolt through for ring terminals. The positive wires run beautifully along the throttle cable.

For switched power I used the OEM connector for the license plate light which I don't use because I took the OEM gear off. I hope Alberta inspection won't pick that up.
alright, 3 circuit sealed one ordered..
im thinking ill leave all the 3CS under the seat, and just run the wiring from a 12v socket and the gps back to that. just need to find a decent 12v cigar socket and a way to mount it. the one thing ill miss from the ktm is the little glove box on top of the tank.. guess ill have to buy a new tank bag...

so you only ran the positive back to the 3CS using only on half of each connecter and just grounded it separately?

and, i didnt think you were getting an inspection done here?
even if they did they wont care as long as your aftermarket one has a running light and brake light which light up the plate.
crunchiespg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 05:29 PM   #37483
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 789
Speaking of electrical hookups the PO put an AV plug on my WR, but I think he wired it to the headlight or ignition and not the actual battery as it turns on and off with the key. Someone told me this is not good for the WR as the fuses blow easily? Is this true? I had a fuse blow, and I don't know wether I should replace it or get a different wiring set. What would you guys recommend for someone that just needs AV power for a GPS and maybe a USB plug attached for phone charging at the same time. I know nothing about these things.
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 05:30 PM   #37484
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 789
Also, ride from yesterday. Jeep Trail here in VA. Camera ran out of space as I dropped the bike. Some idiot decided to park his truck in the road and leave. Left for an awkward place to have to go around. Trail is much steeper and rockier than video really shows.

2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:15 PM   #37485
NeilW
SomeAssemblyRequired

Oddometer: 87
That looked like a fairly rough ride. Your rear view mirror was getting ready to call it quits. Good riding buddy to wait up for you at all the right spots. It always frustrates me to be having a good ride, working out near limits of my skill level, then from nearly a stop, fall over. I like to gently refer to those as "tip-overs". Yeah, lot's of those
'08 WR250R
2012 Yamaha Super Ténéré
NeilW is offline   Reply With Quote