Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2013, 08:39 PM   #37486
crunchiespg
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 989
Another electrical question. When changing to the edge tail light I'm going to also grab the plug and play connecters so I don't have to chop any stock wiring. But is some sort of resistor needed when using the drc 602 signal lights as they are led?
Also here's my planned list of mods for my new bike. Some sort of bash plate, radiator guard, edge tail light, 602 signal lights, eastern beaver fuse block for 12v socket and gps and heated grips. Some fat renthal bars and some fat bar bar clamps. Double take mirrors (should I get short or long ram arms??)
Some hand guards.
And some sort of rear rack.

Anything else obvious I need?
crunchiespg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:15 PM   #37487
woofer2609
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchiespg View Post
Another electrical question. When changing to the edge tail light I'm going to also grab the plug and play connecters so I don't have to chop any stock wiring. But is some sort of resistor needed when using the drc 602 signal lights as they are led? No, your signals will flash much faster, but I see this as more noticeable, and an added bonus
Also here's my planned list of mods for my new bike. Some sort of bash plate, radiator guard, edge tail light, 602 signal lights, eastern beaver fuse block for 12v socket and gps and heated grips. Some fat renthal bars and some fat bar bar clamps. Double take mirrors (should I get short or long ram arms??)
Some hand guards.
And some sort of rear rack.

Anything else obvious I need?
Can't think of anything unless you feel the stock tank is too small
woofer2609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:19 PM   #37488
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilW View Post
That looked like a fairly rough ride. Your rear view mirror was getting ready to call it quits. Good riding buddy to wait up for you at all the right spots. It always frustrates me to be having a good ride, working out near limits of my skill level, then from nearly a stop, fall over. I like to gently refer to those as "tip-overs". Yeah, lot's of those
Yea, it was real rough. My mirror was shaking loose all day. The later videos that he took show just how rocky that trail is. He's got them posted in another thread. He was good to ride with. We had another guy with us who was slower than me so we all made sure we were accounted for regularly. And yea, it was a steep incline I stopped on to try and turn and go around that truck. Just had no footing once I turned on the trail. You can see it bent my clutch real good. Luckily we bent it back with a rock. I need hand guards ASAP.
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:56 PM   #37489
satchmo3
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Crunchies-

The l.e.d. blinkers will blink faster, you can buy a resistor that will slow them to original speed at www.soloracer.com . It's an easy install.
satchmo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:19 PM   #37490
tmotten
Lefthand ride Dutchy

Oddometer: 2,456
Quote:
alright, 3 circuit sealed one ordered..
im thinking ill leave all the 3CS under the seat, and just run the wiring from a 12v socket and the gps back to that. just need to find a decent 12v cigar socket and a way to mount it. the one thing ill miss from the ktm is the little glove box on top of the tank.. guess ill have to buy a new tank bag...

so you only ran the positive back to the 3CS using only on half of each connecter and just grounded it separately?

and, i didnt think you were getting an inspection done here?
even if they did they wont care as long as your aftermarket one has a running light and brake light which light up the plate.
It might be time for a flow chart, cause I've got a mln things going on. I thought I'd be required to do the out of province check.

I struggled finding any useful room under the seal for bulky items like that. Re-housed the garmin rino adapter and trapped that to the outside front side of the battery box. The phone charger box to the rhs subframe beam.

Re ground, that's right. I wanted an unswitched merit connector somewhere, and could only fit that mounted off the headlight shroud. That's the only ground going back along with the OEM wires of the garmin and phone charger. But those 2 have a combined +&- shield and always give to much wiring.
tmotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:43 PM   #37491
woofer2609
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 675
Giant Loop Fandango/ Mojavi

Has anybody tried either of these bags? I am curious if I can still have a passenger ride pillion with the mojavi on the bike. The Fandango looks like a nice bag, but does it stay put on this bike?
TIA
woofer2609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:40 AM   #37492
Mr. Fisherman
PROUD 2B Riff Raff!

Oddometer: 10,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by woofer2609 View Post
Has anybody tried either of these bags? I am curious if I can still have a passenger ride pillion with the mojavi on the bike. The Fandango looks like a nice bag, but does it stay put on this bike?
TIA
Yes and yes.
Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:39 AM   #37493
crunchiespg
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmotten View Post
It might be time for a flow chart, cause I've got a mln things going on. I thought I'd be required to do the out of province check.

I struggled finding any useful room under the seal for bulky items like that. Re-housed the garmin rino adapter and trapped that to the outside front side of the battery box. The phone charger box to the rhs subframe beam.

Re ground, that's right. I wanted an unswitched merit connector somewhere, and could only fit that mounted off the headlight shroud. That's the only ground going back along with the OEM wires of the garmin and phone charger. But those 2 have a combined +&- shield and always give to much wiring.

im 99% sure you dont need the out of province.. if you think about it logicially, your bike is not allowed to be imported into canada permanently as it doesnt meet canadian standards. so if it doesnt meet standards, then it wouldnt pass the test.. and if you could modify it to pass the test, then it would meet the standard to be imported permanently.. which cant be done.. so therefore no out of province test needed. plus im sure i read that you dont need one.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:39 AM   #37494
crunchiespg
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by woofer2609 View Post
Can't think of anything unless you feel the stock tank is too small
cheers, yeh a big tank would be useful... what is the consensus on which one is best now they've all been around a while?
Old 08-26-2013, 10:29 AM   #37495
mcook0525
n00b

Oddometer: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud Highway View Post
I thought the dealer cost was ~$5800. What's a good price on a 2013?
Mine was $6199 OTD
mcook0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:15 PM   #37496
camaroz1985
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
Quote:
What are you guys doing for power needs on this bike?
I'm wanting to have gps power hard wired. 12v cigarette style for charging my cell phone etc and heated grips.
Has anyone used a fuzeblock on this bike to give switched power? If so where did you fit it? Where did you steal the switched 12v power from for the fuzeblock's relay?
Picking up my 2013 this week.
Cheers.
I just did mine this past weekend. Moved the stock fuse block from its mount to beside th coolant reservoir, and put the fuzeblock up on that mount (ziptied in place around the optional back plate). I ran switched power from the fuse blocks switched circuit (brown wire that is split to 3 terminals on the back side. Used a few picks to get it out and soldered the wire to it). It was super tight to get everything to fit, but I'm happy with it. Not super easy to get to the fuses, but it will do for now. Might move it if I can find a better place.
camaroz1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:44 PM   #37497
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 2,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonrider3889 View Post
Speaking of electrical hookups the PO put an AV plug on my WR, but I think he wired it to the headlight or ignition and not the actual battery as it turns on and off with the key. Someone told me this is not good for the WR as the fuses blow easily? Is this true? I had a fuse blow, and I don't know wether I should replace it or get a different wiring set. What would you guys recommend for someone that just needs AV power for a GPS and maybe a USB plug attached for phone charging at the same time. I know nothing about these things.
Order one of thesehttp://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Wi...3_circuit.html

I put one in my Strom. After it comes in just bring you and the bike over and we will wire it up.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:34 PM   #37498
bluzharp
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
I used the headlight wire on the relay by the batttery for the switched power. It comes on after the engine starts.
bluzharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:09 PM   #37499
godwinmt
They call me Crash

Oddometer: 588
Speaking of tail tidys...just finished mine tonight! Goal was to use all the stock components while still being 100% reversible to stock in the end if needed...Total spent: $0

The brake light fit best flipped upside down. After enlarging the holes on the bracket slightly it bolted to the rearmost tabs on the subframe.

After a little tweaking, the support bracket for the stock tail was pretty much perfect to support the stock signals and mount the plate:

The hardest part was cutting the pockets to fit the turn signals...if you used aftermarket signals drilling a hole would be a lot easier.

All in all I'm very happy with how it turned out. The tail light does a pretty good job at illluminating the plate, but if I ever get stopped, a little LED strip/LED license plate bolts would be a snap to add. Getting it up there should keep me from bending the plate as much when I dump it :)

-Malhon
godwinmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:18 PM   #37500
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
Order one of thesehttp://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Wi...3_circuit.html

I put one in my Strom. After it comes in just bring you and the bike over and we will wire it up.
Which one? There are a bunch in that link.
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote