Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2013, 08:02 AM   #37801
Luke308
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
Yep, it was the bottom side that is causing me headaches. I regreased my swingarm bearings last night and sure enough the bearings directly beneath the chain "furrow" have been compromised and are tough to spin by hand. I did not have the foresight to check that before I epoxied the furrow, so I'm unsure if it was from the hole itself, or my epoxy getting down in there. I'll have to fix it in the future, but I'll keep riding it in the meantime. Yes, it will wear funky, but I don't feel like it will make my swingarm fall off either...live and learn, eh?

Luke308 screwed with this post 09-09-2013 at 08:13 AM
Luke308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:03 AM   #37802
Luke308
Gnarly Adventurer

How loose is "loose"?

Just installed the 14/50 combo.

Edited to add: I didn't realize how much the 50T reduces the clearance on the rear chain guide. Not a lot of gap there, but I guess at that point it's not a big deal since everything is pulled straight and tight at that location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightZone View Post
>"the other half think loose,"

Yup. Run a 14 tooth sprocket in the front. 50 or 51 on rear.
8K miles now on that setup...
The swing arm guard shows no wear on the bottom.

(I wore 4 of em out in the first 10K miles on the 250, 13T sprocket).

Old 09-09-2013, 09:52 AM   #37803
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightZone View Post
>"the other half think loose,"

Yup. Run a 14 tooth sprocket in the front. 50 or 51 on rear.
8K miles now on that setup...
The swing arm guard shows no wear on the bottom.

(I wore 4 of em out in the first 10K miles on the 250, 13T sprocket).
We keep perpetuating the idea that front sprocket size is the cause, but plenty of folks are running 12 and 13 sprockets without chewing up the sliders. I think after years of discussion, all we know for sure is that it must be caused by a combination of factors.

Theories include front sprocket size, loading, and chain tension (both loose & tight).

I have ~3,500 miles on a 12T front and minimal slider wear.

jon_l screwed with this post 09-09-2013 at 04:09 PM
jon_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:08 AM   #37804
simmons1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
We keep perpetuating the idea that front sprocket size is the cause, but plenty of folks are running 12 and 13 sprockets without chewing up the sliders. I think after years of discussion, I think all we know for sure is that it must be caused by a combination of factors.

Theories include front sprocket size, loading, and chain tension (both loose & tight).
I agree. I just changed mine out at 11.5K miles while I was doing other maintenance. It looked to be just over 50% worn through. I have used 12 and 13 tooth sprockets for the all of the mileage.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:21 AM   #37805
coresports
coresports

Oddometer: 248
you can destroy any bike by not breaking it in properly usually ending with a major motor malfunction at a much later date or by not properly maintaining it and at the same time running the crap out of it.

i have owned several yamaha dirt/dual sports over the past 40 years and this one is the best i have seen so far. they are about as reliable as you can get, imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freetors View Post
I'm starting to dislike this thread. It's really making me question the reliability and longevity everybody thinks these bikes should have. Engines just should not have internal failures with less than 30000 miles unless they are really highly tuned or beat to hell.
coresports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:59 AM   #37806
byron555
Lame Duck Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,115
Sprockets

Quote:
We keep perpetuating the idea that front sprocket size is the cause, but plenty of folks are running 12 and 13 sprockets without chewing up the sliders. I think after years of discussion, I think all we know for sure is that it must be caused by a combination of factors.

I have ~3,500 miles on a 12T front and minimal slider wear.

The 14t just makes proper chain tension less finicky. Greater tolerance for too tight. The thing is if you are in need of new sprockets and chain, why not go with the 14t and go with the higher margin of error?

That is what I did, and it does work better, not that the 12t or 13t can work.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=997633
byron555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:06 PM   #37807
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,736
>"I think all we know for sure is that it must be caused by a combination of factors."

Yup.

That said... I don't know of anyone who prematurely wears out the chain guard after installing a 14T sprocket.

Anyone else comment with a 14t sprocket - ie wearing out the guard ???
Old 09-09-2013, 12:18 PM   #37808
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 2,732
Quote:
Agreed. I measured the difference in radius between the 12T and 13T sprokets and it's like 1/16" of an inch. So it could eat an extra 1/16" into your swingarm guard using the 12 over the 13, but that guard is like 3/8 thick, so something is accounting for the other 5/16" eating your swingarm guard that ain't the sprocket.

Get a good chain, lube it well and often and keep the tension properly set and I bet that would solve most problems.

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:45 PM   #37809
Luke308
Gnarly Adventurer

Pushing up on the chain between the chain roller and chain guide bolt, I have the toolkit wrench width between the chain and the swingarm. Sound adequate?

Old 09-09-2013, 12:57 PM   #37810
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot

Oddometer: 2,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke308 View Post
Pushing up on the chain between the chain roller and chain guide bolt, I have the toolkit wrench width between the chain and the swingarm. Sound adequate?
It depends on the size of your sprockets. Larger sprockets put the chain further away from the swingarm. Also depends on how much the rear shock is compressed while you're measuring.

There is one and only one way of determining the correct chain tension. Put the bike on a stand, remove the rear shock and lift the rear wheel until the rear axle, swingarm pivot, and countershaft sprocket are all in a line. Rotate the wheel to find the tightest spot in the chain and adjust the chain for a "little" slack at this point. Remember that if you're riding in mud the chain will tighten up as it collects mud, so a little extra slack (I like 1/2" inch or so) is good. This only needs to be performed once, unless you change your sprocket sizes. You can then put the bike back together and measure the chain slack in whatever manner is convenient for you. Always check it the same way, for the same value you recorded, and you're golden.

Also note while you have the shock off that past the "everything in a line" point, the chain will contact the bottom of the slider. Your slider wear is proportional to the amount of time your suspension spends in this position. So, if your bike is carrying a heavy load and/or your static sag is too much, it will wear faster. It will also wear faster if you're riding a lot of rough offroad and the rear suspension is compressing to this point often. A smaller front sprocket puts the chain closer to the slider, so it will contact the slider more often as well.

There are a few other outliers that can cause accelerated wear. If your chain is kinked, it will contact the slider as it comes off the front sprocket accelerating wear. If your chain is stupid loose, it will slap around and contact the slider more. If you get debris jammed in the rear chain guide, it can push the chain up and contact the slider.

I also suspect that some chains tend to wear the slider faster than others. Some have nice rounded edges on the outer links and some are more square. This is just a theory at this point. More research is needed.

There is no single reason why the slider wears. It is a combination of all of the above.

cjbiker screwed with this post 09-09-2013 at 01:28 PM
cjbiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:21 PM   #37811
bluzharp
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Lots of people seem resistant to compressing the suspension to line the countershaft, pivot, and axle up then adjust the chain. That is the best way to make certain the chain is neither too loose or too tight. It's pretty easy on these bikes with a ratchet strap to the sub frame.
bluzharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:26 PM   #37812
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluzharp View Post
Lots of people seem resistant to compressing the suspension to line the countershaft, pivot, and axle up then adjust the chain. That is the best way to make certain the chain is neither too loose or too tight. It's pretty easy on these bikes with a ratchet strap to the sub frame.
I've done it that way with ratchet straps, it works and there's nothing wrong with it, but it puts a huge static load on the subframe and makes me nervous. Pulling the shock or lower link is easy on the WRR, so that's my preferred method. It's a good time to grease the shock linkage bearings, and like I said, it only has to be done once.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:51 PM   #37813
Luke308
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbiker View Post
(I like 1/2" inch or so)
Are you talking about 1/2" vertical free play? or 1/2" from top of chain to swingarm?

Thanks for in depth reply! I appreciate it!

Old 09-09-2013, 02:26 PM   #37814
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke308 View Post
Are you talking about 1/2" vertical free play? or 1/2" from top of chain to swingarm?

Thanks for in depth reply! I appreciate it!
1/2" vertical free play. I don't actually measure it. The key is that the chain should not be under any tension at this point. Be sure the rotate the wheel several times and find the spot where the chain is the tightest. It will vary because chains don't wear evenly and the sprockets aren't always perfectly round.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:31 PM   #37815
Luke308
Gnarly Adventurer

Gotcha, thanks. I'm also going to take the time and properly adjust my suspension (haven't touched it since I got it from the PO), to ensure I'm not going past the center of travel unnecessarily, and causing premature wear on the slider.