ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-21-2013, 10:58 AM   #38716
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Richmond, VA
Oddometer: 826
Quote:
Originally Posted by malignity View Post
Stock is 13/42 or 43.

I ran my buddy's with 13/46 and it made quite a bit of difference. He was faster than me flat out too. I simply can't maintain speed in 6th and always have to drop to 5th to maintain R's.

My concern is once I change the gearing, the speedo will be off. You can get a speedo healer, but I've yet to find one under $100.
Oh ok, so the front is already good. That's good to know. Just need to buy a 47 then I guess.
__________________
2012 WR250R
2007 SV650 (SOLD)
1984 XL350R (SOLD)
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 11:01 AM   #38717
malignity
The Hurt Locker
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Sanford, MI
Oddometer: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonrider3889 View Post
Oh ok, so the front is already good. That's good to know. Just need to buy a 47 then I guess.
Also a larger chain. As far as I know, stock is 108, you'll need 110. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.
__________________
'10 Yamaha WR250R
gldsmc.org
malignity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 11:06 AM   #38718
viper770
Studly Adventurer
 
viper770's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Kansas The land of oz
Oddometer: 575
if you have a stock wr250r its 13/43 if you have a stock wr250x then its 13/42
__________________
2012 YAMAHA WR250R
2013 KAWASAKI KLR650
"Take the long way home"
MY SPOT LOCATION http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...vi71zS820h7TbU
viper770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 11:09 AM   #38719
viper770
Studly Adventurer
 
viper770's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Kansas The land of oz
Oddometer: 575
sorry to disappoint you guys but im using 13/42 gearing and im hitting 97 mph gps with no problems and im on a wr250r using stock tires as well
__________________
2012 YAMAHA WR250R
2013 KAWASAKI KLR650
"Take the long way home"
MY SPOT LOCATION http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...vi71zS820h7TbU
viper770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 11:12 AM   #38720
EEKAMOUSE
Gnarly Adventurer
 
EEKAMOUSE's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: PA
Oddometer: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by malignity View Post
Stock is 13/42 or 43.

I ran my buddy's with 13/46 and it made quite a bit of difference. He was faster than me flat out too. I simply can't maintain speed in 6th and always have to drop to 5th to maintain R's.

My concern is once I change the gearing, the speedo will be off. You can get a speedo healer, but I've yet to find one under $100.
Speedo drd from 12 o'clock labs is under 100 and does same thing
EEKAMOUSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 11:15 AM   #38721
EEKAMOUSE
Gnarly Adventurer
 
EEKAMOUSE's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: PA
Oddometer: 309
Has anyone had experience with the moose racing plastic skid plate? I run an aluminum skid now in very rocky terrain and it holds up and works well however I have to pound it out after every ride and its noisy. Will the moose hold up to this type of terrain?
EEKAMOUSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 11:18 AM   #38722
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Richmond, VA
Oddometer: 826
Quote:
Originally Posted by malignity View Post
Also a larger chain. As far as I know, stock is 108, you'll need 110. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.
Ok thanks. I'll probably just buy one of the kits with all three at some point. Ebay has them for around $114. Dunno if that's good or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper770 View Post
sorry to disappoint you guys but im using 13/42 gearing and im hitting 97 mph gps with no problems and im on a wr250r using stock tires as well
I'm not really doing it for top end. Mainly for low end for me to get it a little better gearing in the woods. I also have no problem with top end. Can hit 104 on the speedo, I assume probably around 92ish GPS.

Also, just installed hand guards so I'll whore a pic. Have had her almost a year at this point. 2012 I picked up for $3500 last December.

__________________
2012 WR250R
2007 SV650 (SOLD)
1984 XL350R (SOLD)
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 11:32 AM   #38723
GSBS
FunHog
 
GSBS's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Blount Springs, AL
Oddometer: 3,901
13/47...

...Is pretty much equivalent to a 12 front and stock 43 rear on the WR-R.

I tried that first (cheaper to buy one sprocket), but next time I looked the rubber swing arm guard was chewed almost thru. Changed to 13/47 and 112L chain at 12K miles and all has been good since. Bike is pushing 25K miles.
GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 12:02 PM   #38724
byron555
Lame Duck Adventurer
 
byron555's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Central Wisconsin
Oddometer: 1,123
that's really good...

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper770 View Post
sorry to disappoint you guys but im using 13/42 gearing and im hitting 97 mph gps with no problems and im on a wr250r using stock tires as well
Unfortunately you are the first person I have heard of that is getting those numbers in stock form. You must weigh about 130 lbs too. At 230lbs I need the lower gearing, not for top speed, but for low end trail riding, and maintaining a 70 to 72 mph cruising speed in 6th.

Regardless, on a 250cc bike, real top end is a sort of usable benchmark for overall performance when used in conjunction with low end and cruising speed. It's not like we are on 1L bikes or hyabusa's where top speed = death wish, near 200mph performance. In my mind (for any bike) performance past 120 mph on the road is totally superfluous... 120mph is probably a bit high too.
__________________
Another inmate stole my Avatar...
WR250R... 15 cubic inches of raw power.
WRr re-build
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=997633
byron555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 12:07 PM   #38725
Wallrat
Studly Adventurer
 
Wallrat's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Orange County, Ca
Oddometer: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEKAMOUSE View Post
Has anyone had experience with the moose racing plastic skid plate? I run an aluminum skid now in very rocky terrain and it holds up and works well however I have to pound it out after every ride and its noisy. Will the moose hold up to this type of terrain?

If you have a 1/4" aluminum skid plate and have to pound it out after every ride there's NO WAY a plastic one is going to survive. For the noise, just put some pieces of rubber between the frame rails and the plate. Also it will allow water to drain so you don't get premature frame rust.
__________________
07 565EXC
09 F800GS
03 Beta 270
12 Kuberg Start
13 Kuberg Cross
Wallrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 12:14 PM   #38726
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot
 
cjbiker's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Southern Maine
Oddometer: 2,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by malignity View Post
Stock is 13/42 or 43.

I ran my buddy's with 13/46 and it made quite a bit of difference. He was faster than me flat out too. I simply can't maintain speed in 6th and always have to drop to 5th to maintain R's.

My concern is once I change the gearing, the speedo will be off. You can get a speedo healer, but I've yet to find one under $100.
I've got a Speedo DRD in the flea market here: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=917007

cjbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 03:33 PM   #38727
malignity
The Hurt Locker
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Sanford, MI
Oddometer: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by byron555 View Post
Unfortunately you are the first person I have heard of that is getting those numbers in stock form. You must weigh about 130 lbs too. At 230lbs I need the lower gearing, not for top speed, but for low end trail riding, and maintaining a 70 to 72 mph cruising speed in 6th.

Regardless, on a 250cc bike, real top end is a sort of usable benchmark for overall performance when used in conjunction with low end and cruising speed. It's not like we are on 1L bikes or hyabusa's where top speed = death wish, near 200mph performance. In my mind (for any bike) performance past 120 mph on the road is totally superfluous... 120mph is probably a bit high too.

This.

I just did 105 miles of trails yesterday and my top speed of the day GPS verified was 74.1mph with stock gearing. It also was in 5th gear. With stock gearing, maintaing 70+mph in 6th will be tough. 6th has ZERO pull.

I'm not saying 97mph isn't possible with stock gearing, but I am saying I'd need a ship sail attached to my back and be going down a hill to get it.

I'll be going to 13/46 or 13/47. It appears that they don't make 46t rears anymore, so I'll be leaning toward 47. If I don't like it and it kills my top speed too much, hopefully I can throw on a 14T front.
__________________
'10 Yamaha WR250R
gldsmc.org
malignity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 03:53 PM   #38728
AWM
Beard Bros Racing
 
AWM's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Your Mom's house
Oddometer: 11,383
It was a good day for a ride boys.Just round the corner.










One nail in the wrong spot,and that was that.

__________________
"Hes not called the Angry White Man for nothing,much more fitting then the,Unicorn Clouds and Happy Trees Man".... UpST8

Theres a name for people without beards,"Women".
AWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 04:51 PM   #38729
Pantah
Patriot Nation?
 
Pantah's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: India Wharf
Oddometer: 10,118
Mine is stock throughout the powertrain. I have no problem pulling the 70's and my top speed is about 90 at lower altitudes and in flat conditions. But yes, any grades get me downshifting to maintain my speed. I like to settle in just off the throttle stop.

I think the Colorado rider stretched the truth, though. Mine won't pull 90mph at the 6 or 7k altitudes I found in CO/WY/UT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malignity View Post
This.

I just did 105 miles of trails yesterday and my top speed of the day GPS verified was 74.1mph with stock gearing. It also was in 5th gear. With stock gearing, maintaing 70+mph in 6th will be tough. 6th has ZERO pull.

I'm not saying 97mph isn't possible with stock gearing, but I am saying I'd need a ship sail attached to my back and be going down a hill to get it.

I'll be going to 13/46 or 13/47. It appears that they don't make 46t rears anymore, so I'll be leaning toward 47. If I don't like it and it kills my top speed too much, hopefully I can throw on a 14T front.
__________________
Straight ahead and faster -Bo Weaver 1970
"There I was..." -Griffin Niner Three Hotel
"One day closer to a parade..." Jonny Gomes, spring training 2013
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 06:05 PM   #38730
woofer2609
Studly Adventurer
 
woofer2609's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Extreme Pacific SouthWest (of Canada)
Oddometer: 701
Quote:
Originally Posted by malignity View Post
This.

I just did 105 miles of trails yesterday and my top speed of the day GPS verified was 74.1mph with stock gearing. It also was in 5th gear. With stock gearing, maintaing 70+mph in 6th will be tough. 6th has ZERO pull.

I'm not saying 97mph isn't possible with stock gearing, but I am saying I'd need a ship sail attached to my back and be going down a hill to get it.

I'll be going to 13/46 or 13/47. It appears that they don't make 46t rears anymore, so I'll be leaning toward 47. If I don't like it and it kills my top speed too much, hopefully I can throw on a 14T front.
There's no way a 47 will kill your top speed. It will up it quite a bit I think you'll find. Much better in the tight stuff as well. I was riding yesterday with a fellow with the same bike running 12/48, and I wasn't finding my 13/47 too tall to go up anything he did. It's a good all rounder I feel. I rode home 60 miles as well at between 60-65 mph.
I do have 2 45t rears which I may use . One on the x wheels and one on the r wheels. Hopefully this wont be too tall for the tight stuff. It'd be nice not to have to adjust the tensioners when changing wheels.
I'd be curious to see what top speed is with the x wheels on and the 47t. As it stands, 84 and a bit mph and change is the best my bike will do with Trailwing stock tires and two empty TCI sideracks on with r wheels and 13/47 gearing. This was a 2 way average, about a 1 mile run, rolling start at just above sea level.
The only way to ascertain true top speed is a two way run average, same time of day, same day. Otherwise there are too many variables at play. A 1% decline with a slight tailwind will completely skew stats.
woofer2609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014