Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2009, 08:17 AM   #7411
tonymorr
Malta,NY(Saratoga Spring)

Oddometer: 2,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by skierd
Mostly stock guard, I had to dremel the lip on the inside of the case saver to get it to fit. The only reason I went with a 14T is the short rear tire I ended up with for the ride home (110/80/18 K761) and needed longer gearing. I've been pretty happy with a 13/47 on long rides, and when I change again its going to be to 13/46 or 45 with a 12T in reserve for trail work.
I went with a 48 rear because I was only planning to use my WR for dirt use (with the 21/18 wheels). Now I'm thinking of taking it on a trip this weekend. I have a smaller 100/100-18 Michelin AC10 rear so I might try to find a 14 tooth to give it back some legs.
2013 Piaggio BV350 sold
tonymorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 08:34 AM   #7412
Garand
Keeper of Useful Sarcasms

Oddometer: 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikrow
My skid plate was really loud also. I tried a variety of washers etc. Didn't help.

I finally just went down to bestbuy car audio department and bought some dynamat. it's used to dampen door panels around speakers so they don't rattle and what not. It's sticky on one side, foil covered on the other.

You can get it in a pack of 2ea. 10"x10" sheets. It's peel and stick.

I washed the skid plate really well, wiped it down with isopropal alcohol and let it dry.

I used one sheet in its entirety on the main body of the skid, then cut the second sheet in pieces to cover the rest. Two sheets of the mat perfectly cover the whole inside of the skid plate.

Cut holes for mounting and oil plug. Install. Done.

Works really well. Totally dropped the hammering sound to an tolerable level.

YMMV

I was planning to give this a try as well.. Glad to hear it worked somewhat well!
Garand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 05:05 PM   #7413
tonymorr
Malta,NY(Saratoga Spring)

Oddometer: 2,476
I went out at lunchtime and was happy to find this Sunstar 14t sprocket at a local shop. Going home now to see if it fits, it says it will right on the package... it must right? lol

2013 Piaggio BV350 sold
tonymorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 05:47 PM   #7414
Chadx
Off the road again..

Oddometer: 2,165
It's made in Indonesia! You know they make good stuff!

Let us know how it fits and how much material you have to remove from the case saver. Pics (before and after) would be great!
Chadx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 06:03 PM   #7415
etmoto
Adventurer

Oddometer: 480
yupzzzzzz

etmoto screwed with this post 09-30-2009 at 08:54 AM
etmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 07:48 PM   #7416
adub3n
Lurker

Oddometer: 54
Mini RR

It seems like it's been raining here since I brought my bike home, even though it's really just been raining for about a week and a half. So I'm closing in on one month of ownership, and I have to say "NO REGRETS!" Loving this machine. My Rē is still stock for the time being, with just a skid plate, so far, but being it's my first bike I'm plenty pleased with the way it performs, even with a noob like me on the seat!

I know I might get some grief from you hard core guys, but you all say ride up to your experience, and my experience tells me it ain't a good idea to ride in the rain just yet. So being today's the first day it's been nice out, I finally got the gumption to ride in to work. Nothing very fancy as far as ride reports go, but I wanted to share with you guys, because it made for a great day.

Now granted my ride in to work is only about 3 miles, but you know I had to take the long way home. So getting there is all of two turns, but there's about five stop lights, and this morning when I got to the main road traffic was just stopped. Naturally this wouldn't do for the first ride to work, so I took a U-ey at the first divide in the median and make a break for it through the neighborhoods. It's a more interesting ride that way anyhow, but only mildly so.

Going home was the fun part. There's some residential construction going on a few blocks behind work, and then there's lots of trees and swamp, so I decided I should check some of that out. Back in through the ticky tacky houses, I make my way to the mostly stalled new development of several blocks in the back of the subdivision. I found one trail that lead me out next to a guy pouring concrete, and that was no good so I went back along the blocks where the houses should have been.

Bingo! Along the treeline there's a two track heading off into the woods. A few turns and a little mud later and I find a kind of network of trails.
Like this:

Then I come to a sweeping turn in the trail and idle up alongside the swamp.

You might not be able to see it, but the trail keeps going through the tallish grass on the left there:

I puttered around and ended up getting pretty hot, so I took a break around here:

The swamp was nice. I stayed mostly dry 'cept for the sweat but got the bike a little muddy. Not enough to try to wow yall with any pics of it, though. I know you guys like pictures, because I do too, but I'm getting to the coolest part. Sadly the coolest part has fewer pictures.

So I make my way out of the swamp, back the way I came, because to go out the other way I would have ended up coming back around where the guys were pouring concrete, or possibly trying to ride through a pretty seriously muddy and full storm run-off ditch. I've still got some light, so I take the neighborhoods again getting home. I can't say exactly why I went this way, because it's actually further down than where I would have gone to get to my house, but as I'm cruising around I see this guy working in his garage ... full of dirt bikes!

Now all my friends who ride are riding cruisers or sport bikes, and me and this dude made eye contact as I drove by, so you know I had to turn around. "Looks like we share a common interest..." and it went from there. Charlie's a super nice guy, and he's mainly riding a DS'd 07 KLX250. Most of the garage bikes were stages that his son had gone through, mini-electric, KTM50, something I wasn't sure about that was Yamaha Blue, and his son's current ride, a DRZ125. He also had a '76 and a '78 Yamaha Enduro (I don't know the model name) Check it out!

The engine from the one that was a little more beat up was going to go into this one! Isn't that sharp? Anyway, we chatted a while, and shared a few riding spots, and I headed back out. I got lost in the swamp, and made a new buddy today. I think I should ride to work more often!
adub3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 08:25 PM   #7417
Chadx
Off the road again..

Nice! Proof that an "Adventure" doesn't have to mean you are thousands, or even hundreds, of miles from home. Good on ya for chattin' the guy up. I'm bad about that and would have just kept riding on by...and wondering.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:37 PM   #7418
rydnseek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,888
wrx adventure bike

Here it is, ready for a 4 day adventure ride in Az & Ut on monday.

ride report forthcoming.. well.. after the ride..

scotty
rydnseek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 09:16 PM   #7419
Chadx
Off the road again..

I have no idea how they perform, but something deep inside me really digs the massive front rubber on these 17" X rims with knobbies.
Old 09-25-2009, 10:37 PM   #7420
YnotJP?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,305
adub3n, Why is it that I feel you are going to have a lot of miles on that bike this time next year?
YnotJP? is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 06:37 AM   #7421
tremor38
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,437
What size and brand are your tires? I haven't been able to find 17" for both front and rear...I can only find them for the rear. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rydnseek
Here it is, ready for a 4 day adventure ride in Az & Ut on monday.

ride report forthcoming.. well.. after the ride..

scotty
tremor38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 07:00 AM   #7422
rydnseek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by tremor38
What size and brand are your tires? I haven't been able to find 17" for both front and rear...I can only find them for the rear. Thanks.
I got my tire suggestions from diehard on TT.. he's probably here, too. They are pirelli's, mt 21. front is a 120/90, rear is 130/90. Both are rear tires, which is why the front looks so huge. I've got a couple of day rides on them, & they worked ok. The front is a little squirrelly in deep gravel, but is better in mud than a narrower tire. It's fine on pavement. Since it is a rear tire, i had to let a lot of air out for it to have some give.. at 12# it was still too hard. I have it at 8 now, & might drop it down to 6. The back is still pretty firm at 8. They have pretty stiff sidewalls, i guess. If i have a flat, all i'll need is some zip ties to keep it on the rim.

After i use these tires up, i might get a 21" rim & go with a standard dirt tire.. but this is an experiment to see how the 17's do.

scotty
rydnseek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 08:11 AM   #7423
Chadx
Off the road again..

BMW Powerlet mounting

Does anyone know the required mounting-hole diameter and clearance needed for a BMW Powerlet? I know HF and a couple others have mounted one on a custom bracket. I'm looking at getting the Highway Dirtbike handguard and handlebar top clamp setup and rather than the one piece top clamp having the pre-drilled toggle switch cutouts, I intend to have two pre-drilled Powerlet holes. Paul said he might have the pattern for this, and is looking. Or could send a blank and I could drill. So, before I go either route, does anyone know what diameter opening is needed and how much clearance beside them (accounting for the mounting nut and the protective top cap) and clearance behind/below for the wiring?

Edit: Found info on Powerlet website so thought I'd share. Depending on if the standard socket is used for the low profile, here are the requirements for hole diameter and clearance around and behind...

Standard Powerlet Socket

Our most popular socket with spring-loaded hinged lid. Two 1/4" spade connectors, make wiring easy. 18mm brass jam nut. Rated at 15 amps, snap-fit and vibration proof. Requires .6875" (11/16" or 18mm) hole and 2.00" behind the panel. Lid measures 1.075" in diam.

http://www.powerletproducts.com/imag...g&maxWidth=600

Low-Profile Powerlet Socket

Spring-loaded hinged lid. White-T connector uses 1/4" spade connectors on 9.00" leads. 18mm brass jam nut mounting. Rated at 15 amps, snap-fit and vibration proof. Requires .6875" (11/16" or 18mm) hole and 1.00" behind the panel. Lid measures 1.075" in diam.

http://www.powerletproducts.com/imag...g&maxWidth=600

Chadx screwed with this post 09-26-2009 at 09:10 AM
Old 09-26-2009, 08:30 AM   #7424
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

Oddometer: 13,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadx
Does anyone know the required mounting-hole diameter and clearance needed for a BMW Powerlet? I know HF and a couple others have mounted one on a custom bracket. I'm looking at getting the Highway Dirtbike handguard and handlebar top clamp setup and rather than the one piece top clamp having the pre-drilled toggle switch cutouts, I intend to have two pre-drilled Powerlet holes. Paul said he might have the pattern for this, and is looking. Or could send a blank and I could drill. So, before I go either route, does anyone know what diameter opening is needed and how much clearance beside them (accounting for the mounting nut and the protective top cap) and clearance behind/below for the wiring?
I drilled the hole with a 11/16" hole bit that powerlet sells.
MoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 08:31 AM   #7425
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

Oddometer: 13,490
I could use confirmation that I've got the chain tight enough--2 1/2 regular sized fingers under the chain, on the side stand, midway on top of the swing arm.

I notice a little polish along the bottom edge--inside radius.

Having some trouble with figuring out where to measure it...and how--bike on the side stand--I can't figure it, sitting straight up and down, it's tough to figure where to measure.
MoBill is offline   Reply With Quote