Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2009, 07:28 AM   #7546
rydnseek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmac
Hey Scotty,

I've followed a bunch of your posts and know you're an ex-DR rider.

How do you like the WRX in comparison? Would a set of "R" wheels
be an improvement over the knobbies on the "X" rims IYO?

The setup you're running looks stout but looks can be decieving.

As for FI - I couldn't bring myself to buy another bike with
a carburetor.
I gave a 'mini review' of the comparisons to the drz here:

http://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/wr...bike-t1109.htm

I didn't have any hard drops on this ride, so my roto pax setup wasn't fully tested. But i can pick the bike up with the brace i mounted the rotopax to.

I have dropped the drz many times on these panniers, & they hold up pretty well.

The 17's are working fine.. no need for me to change. I'll run them until i wear out the tires, then probably just get the same tires.. it ain't broke, i won't fix it.

My klx riding buddy rode my wr for a bit.. he says he can feel a definite snap & better power, especially in the upper revs.

I was most impressed with the suspension.. some minor tweaks to the wrx & it rolled over the washboarding, rocks & ruts, & loose sand. It also cornered like a cat. The paved twisties were very fun on the yammie.. no one could ride with me in those, even though we all had knobbies.

Anyway, i'm very impressed with the wrx, & feel pretty good about the change. I didn't think there would be a noticeable difference, but for me, there was. I told Kim there were 3 5's that would make the drz a better choice for me:
1. if i was 25 instead of 55.
2. If i weighed 225 instead of 155.
3. If i was 6'5" instead of 5'8".

scotty
rydnseek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 11:46 AM   #7547
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydnseek
I gave a 'mini review' of the comparisons to the drz here:

http://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/wr...bike-t1109.htm

I didn't have any hard drops on this ride, so my roto pax setup wasn't fully tested. But i can pick the bike up with the brace i mounted the rotopax to.

I have dropped the drz many times on these panniers, & they hold up pretty well.

The 17's are working fine.. no need for me to change. I'll run them until i wear out the tires, then probably just get the same tires.. it ain't broke, i won't fix it.

My klx riding buddy rode my wr for a bit.. he says he can feel a definite snap & better power, especially in the upper revs.

I was most impressed with the suspension.. some minor tweaks to the wrx & it rolled over the washboarding, rocks & ruts, & loose sand. It also cornered like a cat. The paved twisties were very fun on the yammie.. no one could ride with me in those, even though we all had knobbies.

Anyway, i'm very impressed with the wrx, & feel pretty good about the change. I didn't think there would be a noticeable difference, but for me, there was. I told Kim there were 3 5's that would make the drz a better choice for me:
1. if i was 25 instead of 55.
2. If i weighed 225 instead of 155.
3. If i was 6'5" instead of 5'8".

scotty
Your mods are helping me figure where I want to go with my WRX. Thank you.
Old 10-03-2009, 03:41 PM   #7548
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,674
Diffs. with Calif. approved model

Sorry to butt in here, seemed like the best thread to get a bunch of WRR experts in one place.

I've been looking for a used WRR, and there's a few out there, not so much in California though. What can I use to easily identify a California approved WRR? There's a good chance some of the bikes that have been sold outside of CA are actually CA models as a large number of powersports dealers out here have dried up and their inventory has gone out of state.

I believe there's a sticker on the headstock that will have some language regarding "approved in California" and I believe there's some VIN code digit that indicates that as well.

I'm going to have to register it in California, and unless the bike has over 7500 miles, the bureaucrats won't let me do it unless it is a CA approved model identified by Yamaha.

Thanks for your help--and let me know if there's a better place to post this and I'll be happy to oblige.
HardWorkingDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 04:55 PM   #7549
Tman66
Smellin' da cow poop

Oddometer: 7,809
My 1st impression of a WR250R:

Holy shit!

What a nice bike, power, suspension....I am really impressed. Hats off to Yamaha!

I want one!!!
Tman66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 05:32 PM   #7550
Krabill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardWorkingDog
Sorry to butt in here, seemed like the best thread to get a bunch of WRR experts in one place.

I've been looking for a used WRR, and there's a few out there, not so much in California though. What can I use to easily identify a California approved WRR? There's a good chance some of the bikes that have been sold outside of CA are actually CA models as a large number of powersports dealers out here have dried up and their inventory has gone out of state.

I believe there's a sticker on the headstock that will have some language regarding "approved in California" and I believe there's some VIN code digit that indicates that as well.

I'm going to have to register it in California, and unless the bike has over 7500 miles, the bureaucrats won't let me do it unless it is a CA approved model identified by Yamaha.

Thanks for your help--and let me know if there's a better place to post this and I'll be happy to oblige.
CA models have a charcoal canister in front of the engine down at the bottom.
Krabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 05:39 PM   #7551
scottmac
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,502
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardWorkingDog

A quick, easy way to tell if it's a CA model is that it will have a plastic
skidplate molded to hold a charcoal canniter on it.

The charcoal cannister is part of the gas overflow/vapor return system
only found on CA models.
scottmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 06:44 PM   #7552
dmulk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
What specific tools will I need to remove the Tank, Front and Rear wheels?

I'm still way back on post 4000 something...wading my way through this beast of a thread when I stumbled on a 2008 with 3500 miles for $3400....so I just jumped on it.... now I need to pack it in a plane and fly it back to my place.

To fit it in the plane I'm going to use, I'll need to remove the Tank, Front and Rear tires. (Might even need to rotate the handlbars down a bit).

Can someone please list the tools I'll need to accomplish this? (I promise I'll post some pictures of the whole ordeal when I get it done next weekend... )

Cheers all! Hope to be Micro-Venturing with all the rest of you 250 nutz soon....

dmulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 07:27 PM   #7553
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,864
In no particular order, an 8mm, 10mm, 12mm, 22mm, and 27mm socket or wrench, phillips screwdriver, and a 5mm allen key. A torque wrench and/or breaker bar will help with the axles.
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 07:50 PM   #7554
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmac
A quick, easy way to tell if it's a CA model is that it will have a plastic
skidplate molded to hold a charcoal canniter on it.

The charcoal cannister is part of the gas overflow/vapor return system
only found on CA models.
Thanks scottmac & krabill--figured there had to be something like that to help ID.
HardWorkingDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 08:46 PM   #7555
dmulk
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skierd
In no particular order, an 8mm, 10mm, 12mm, 22mm, and 27mm socket or wrench, phillips screwdriver, and a 5mm allen key. A torque wrench and/or breaker bar will help with the axles.
Thanks Skierd.

Nice Ride Report BTW... I envy you for your trip!

Cheers!

Old 10-03-2009, 10:11 PM   #7556
CopaMundial
Wow, that broke easy

Oddometer: 1,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmulk
.... now I need to pack it in a plane and fly it back to my place.

To fit it in the plane I'm going to use, I'll need to remove the Tank, Front and Rear tires. (Might even need to rotate the handlbars down a bit).
We will, of course, require that you post photos of this pick-up.
CopaMundial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 10:18 PM   #7557
SAFETYFIFTH
Let's Rip Lip!

Oddometer: 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by skierd
Was this pic taken on the Oklahoma TAT? It looks so familiar...
Old 10-04-2009, 07:46 AM   #7558
dmulk
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CopaMundial
We will, of course, require that you post photos of this pick-up.
Absolutely.

Old 10-04-2009, 12:58 PM   #7559
kyns
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,648
Pics.

Went for a ride today, it was raining and the road was soft.

And couple from last week, or something.

kyns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 02:20 PM   #7560
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,637
How Does HF Keep R² so Clean?

The long awaited and much anticipated article has finally been posted at my blog: http://www.wrrdualsport.com/tech-gui...-bike-so-clean

I really did think people were joking when they started asking me, "how do you keep your bike so clean?" But, I've received quite a few PMs over quite a while asking the same thing. Consequently, I finally stopped riding long enough to document the process.

Seems silly to me, but maybe it will be helpful to others. These are the steps I take on all my bikes, and I guess I've refined the process over many years. One thing I know.....the procedure is very effective.

Now, I can get back to working on my "Suspension Article"....

HF

p.s. Yes, I've been very busy working lately. But not too busy to keep up with the posting. I've been enjoying the new life which the Monster Thread seems to have grown. Ride on & Write on!

2 weeks till the big Clayton, OK DS ride.....can't wait!!!!!!!!!
Athena Big Bore Project WRRDualsport.com
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote