Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2008, 11:53 AM   #826
Pax
shazam.

Oddometer: 812
My Pop and I rode the Swinging Bridges in Missouri this weekend. We logged around 350 miles over 2 days. Not very far, but enough to get a feel. I'm confident enough now that I will ride the TAT next summer on the R2.

Pop is just starting to ride so he had never done anything longer than a 20 mile loop on a bike before this ride and he loved it! I have done multi-day excursions and I loved it! What a great bike that will fit a variety of rider levels, aggressiveness, expectations, etc.

The bikes did fabulously. These things come alive once the RPMs get up there. In fact, Pop almost looped it coming out of a river crossing as he gave it some gas. Elbows and a(*holes as he had his legs flailing like landing gear. We had a good hoot over that.

Range - Far enough. Fuel lights popped on around 95-100 miles and then only took about 1.5 gal of fuel each, if that. Would like more fuel, but we'll deal with that later in the form of some cheap fuel bottles.

Gearing - Very smooth and easy. It is almost like cheating through rocky stuff. Nimble.

Seat - some guys say it is ok. I think it stinks after about 50 miles. I'll be putting the Corbin on in addition to my Alaska Leather Buttpad. I find the seat to be angled toward the front of the bike and that hurts my butt-bones. Which brings me to...

Standing - the bike is really planted and confident feeling when you are on the pegs.

Summary - this is a really neat little bike. It doesn't have frightening weight or power. It does have a fantastic amount of capability out of the box. In fact, I don't plan to modify this bike more than follows: Flatland skid plate, Cycra guards (plenty o' bending required to make them fit), a Garmin GPS and a Corbin seat. Other than that, I'm gona just ride it and grin.

-Pax

“Character is much easier kept than recovered.” –Thomas Paine
Pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 01:06 PM   #827
Teep
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
New WR

Pax,

Niced to see you got the WR's. I'm still trying to move the V-Strom to get one. Where did you get them from, I have not been able to find one locally.

Garry
Teep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 01:39 PM   #828
Pax
shazam.

Oddometer: 812
Hey Garry:

We bought them from Victory Lane Powersports in Swansea, IL. The guys were great and installed a Yamalink on Pop's bike. They were setup and ready to roll quickly. Got a great deal on two 2008's they had. One on the floor and one in the crate.

-Pax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teep
Pax,

Niced to see you got the WR's. I'm still trying to move the V-Strom to get one. Where did you get them from, I have not been able to find one locally.

Garry

“Character is much easier kept than recovered.” –Thomas Paine
Pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 04:13 PM   #829
stormsearcher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by montesa_vr
If you're not one of the ADVriders allergic to low front fenders you could move the fender down where it belongs and see if the increased airflow solves the problem. Seems odd though -- after six months this is the first time I've heard of this. Any chance it could be a bad theromostat?
well i took the wrr to the outback of oz and pinned it day in and day out. 13 days -10,100kms.only thrice the light came on. was warm ,30cdeg days dust storms,hot wind.i am thinking this bike will be a gr8 rally bike as its got topend speed,good suspension and range. didnt skip a beat anywhich way the whole ride.
stormsearcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 04:26 PM   #830
YamaLink
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
Yeah, Victory Lane! They are indeed a good group to deal with!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pax
Hey Garry:

We bought them from Victory Lane Powersports in Swansea, IL. The guys were great and installed a Yamalink on Pop's bike. They were setup and ready to roll quickly. Got a great deal on two 2008's they had. One on the floor and one in the crate.

-Pax
YamaLink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 06:12 PM   #831
Bulldogs2k
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
Any short of inseam riders out there ride/own this bike? I'm 5'4 with a 28'' inseam, I want it but it looks TALL. Looks like I'll have to ride the tall biatch with links and a scooped seat.
Bulldogs2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 07:43 PM   #832
CopaMundial
Wow, that broke easy

Oddometer: 1,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormsearcher
found on long trips keeping the wrr pinned results in the temp light coming on. thinking of riding some rallies with the wrr where high speeds are required for long peroids. any suggestions for 'upgrading' the cooling system?like 2 thermo fans/or simply a bigger radiator.
I haven't heard of anyone else having any issues like that yet, so definitely make sure you don't have a simple problem going on (low coolant level, fan not working etc)... if all that seems good then maybe try this stuff . Haven't used it myself, but read some good things about it and was considering that it might be necessary w/ only that small single rad on the WRR.
CopaMundial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 10:27 PM   #833
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

Oddometer: 13,398
I see your question about inseam...not qualified to answer that...being here.

I have too much time to think about this. I have to remind myself that I'm going to have to go sit on one and see...and repeat to myself "this bike has all the power you need at RPM" so I stop thinking about a DRZ400--another bike that I haven't ridden.

This is Bill, live, obsessing in Baghdad.
MoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 01:19 AM   #834
CopaMundial
Wow, that broke easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by morriswf
I have too much time to think about this. I have to remind myself that I'm going to have to go sit on one and see...and repeat to myself "this bike has all the power you need at RPM" so I stop thinking about a DRZ400--another bike that I haven't ridden.
Hang in there buddy, you'll make it.
As far as the bike, and the wait... think of it like that girl you knew back when.
You know the one.
When the wait is over, it'll feel JUST like that . The smile that lasts for days.
You won't need any convincing or reminding and there will be no nagging "what if's" about that fat pimple-faced girl named Suzuki.
Old 10-21-2008, 04:59 AM   #835
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

Oddometer: 13,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopaMundial
Hang in there buddy, you'll make it.
As far as the bike, and the wait... think of it like that girl you knew back when.
You know the one.
When the wait is over, it'll feel JUST like that . The smile that lasts for days.
You won't need any convincing or reminding and there will be no nagging "what if's" about that fat pimple-faced girl named Suzuki.
Great analogy. I can wait for her.
MoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 06:14 AM   #836
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,669
Thumb Highfive - Goes FMF PP

Installed the FMF Power Programmer on my R˛ fuel injection.

WOW˛ !!! Say hello to the Power, and goodbye to the snatch.

She came alive, & really smoothed out! Paid just $205.

HF
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 06:25 AM   #837
CopaMundial
Wow, that broke easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive

HF
lol... and look how much you were lovin this bike before.
You're in trouble now. Gonna have to get two
Old 10-21-2008, 06:39 AM   #838
Krabill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,628
I agree . . . he needs two . . . so I can "borrow" one
Krabill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 09:48 AM   #839
trashed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
where?

Where did you get the programmr for $205???? I don't know crap about fuel injection or tuning. Can anybody tell me what I need to do to get some extra ponies out of my WRR. I dont want to just put on a pipe and end up having it run lean. I'm not sure if the fuel injection will re-map itself after messing with the exhaust. I just want a few extra ponies across the board.
HELP????

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive

HF
trashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 10:37 AM   #840
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,669
Quote:
Originally Posted by trashed
Where did you get the programmr for $205???? I don't know crap about fuel injection or tuning. Can anybody tell me what I need to do to get some extra ponies out of my WRR. I dont want to just put on a pipe and end up having it run lean. I'm not sure if the fuel injection will re-map itself after messing with the exhaust. I just want a few extra ponies across the board.
HELP????
From OEMCycle.com at this link:

http://www.oemcycle.com/Item/product...AHA_WR250RX_08

Ok...it was actually less than $205. And, it delivered in about 3 days! Exactly when the guy said it would.

I think I've done exactly what you want to do. Kept the stock pipe as is (nice & quiet). I removed the flapper assembly on the airbox intake under the seat (see my earlier posts & photos). Plugged the little intake port on the fuel injection associated with that flapper system. Removed the AIS (smog recirculation system) and installed a homemade blocking plate to cover the hole in cylinder (near exhaust manifold). Then, installed the FMF PP under the seat on top of the airbox intake where the flapper solenoid was. I'll post photo tonight. Its a plug & play module....piece of cake! Worth every pretty penny!!

This was all very easy to do. And, the power improvement was surprisingly nice. I think its all I will do except maybe a K&N Air Filter (if I can ever find a Part # for it) and maybe pull the spark arrestor, upon occasion.

HF
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote