Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2008, 04:11 PM   #886
rufus
We're burning daylight...

Oddometer: 3,938
[quote=HighFive]Fixin to install a BMW style power outlet on R˛. Been looking over the cockpit and not seeing a good place to mount it. So it got me thinking.....

Let's see some pics & details on your 12v power outlet installations in all the R˛'s out there. Post up & spill the beans. Need some ideas.

www.easternbeaver.com---------- click on "powerlet products". Look at the powerbar. Never seen one but it looks good.

rufus screwed with this post 10-27-2008 at 05:49 PM
rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 04:50 PM   #887
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive
You can order two different knobby heights in 606.
Now that's a new one for me. I didn't know that, but then I'm running my first set of 606's on my Aprilia 550 so I'm no expert on them. How do they designate the two heights?

The 606's do wear well and handle the power the Ape pumps out without chunking, unlike a pure offroad tire which it will bald in one day! 606's are not as aggressive as a pure offroad tire, which I sometimes wish for on loose roads and trails, but probably the best mix of DOT road and dirt on a lighter bike. I like the 606's a bit better than the MT21's which I went through a lot of on my DRZ400S a few years ago. I think they will be the knob I put on the R˛ when I get 'round to it.
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 06:57 PM   #888
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,604
Knob Height

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg
Now that's a new one for me. I didn't know that, but then I'm running my first set of 606's
Me too....

Just making the Shewolf "crap a few more bullets"....wondering if she ordered the tall 606's versus the short ones.

Also, good exercise to see if anyone is actually paying attention. Cyborg is on his game! Can't say as much for the rest of you...

The 606 comes in two widths, not heights. You can get a 120 or a 130 width. I run the 130 on my KLR....cause the big fat pig needs all the grip she can get. But I went with the 120 on R².

The stock Trailwing is a 110 width. The 120 looks like all she can handle. Doesn't appear to be enough room for a 130. So Shewolf, if you ordered a 130 you can start "crapping bullets" again. Strange term...BTW.

HF
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 07:05 PM   #889
SheWolf
Under Your Bed

Oddometer: 629
Hey, I'm a Canucklehead...I have tons of weird sayings, eh? And FYI, I knew you were full of shit. I'll have the skins by Thursday hopefully, and yeah I have the 120. Mine's just a piglet, not a full blown boar like yours.

2009 WR250R

http://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/forum.htm
SheWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 07:10 PM   #890
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufus
www.easternbeaver.com---------- click on "powerlet products". Look at the powerbar. Never seen one but it looks good.
Very nice, Rufus! Now this is a great solution! A little pricey....ok, a lot pricey....if I read it correctly. But why didn't someone think of this a long time ago....or did they??

Only problem, I've already bought my regular BMW powerlet. It only cost $20. Guess I'll start making a custom mounting plate and post it up later.

HF
Old 10-27-2008, 07:17 PM   #891
SheWolf
Under Your Bed

Eh?

Damn...why does stuff from Oz have to be so expensive?!! I was looking at the B&B bashplate and yikes! Yamaha's skidplate sucks. Hmmm....there's got to be a better way than that.

2009 WR250R

Old 10-27-2008, 07:28 PM   #892
Gargoyle
Trail Jester

Oddometer: 1,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by SheWolf
Damn...why does stuff from Oz have to be so expensive?!! I was looking at the B&B bashplate and yikes! Yamaha's skidplate sucks. Hmmm....there's got to be a better way than that.
Get a Ricochet skid plate from the ThumperTalk store or from Utah Sport Cycles.

Berkshire Trail Riders on Facebook or follow me on Twitter
Gargoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 07:29 PM   #893
montesa_vr
Legend in his own mind

Oddometer: 1,840
Quote:
I was looking at the B&B bashplate and yikes! Yamaha's skidplate sucks. Hmmm....there's got to be a better way than that.
I thought all the R2 ADVriders had annointed the flatlandracing skidplate the ultimate solution for the WR.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:38 PM   #894
Pax
shazam.

Oddometer: 812
I bought the flatland and am pleased with it. Very little change to the acoustics of the bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by montesa_vr
I thought all the R2 ADVriders had annointed the flatlandracing skidplate the ultimate solution for the WR.

RIDES:
Pop & Pax - West TAT 2009
| The Dean of Adventure Routes

“Character is much easier kept than recovered.” –Thomas Paine
Pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 07:53 PM   #895
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle
Get a Ricochet skid plate from the ThumperTalk store or from Utah Sport Cycles.

I'm with Gargoyle on this one....Ricochet all the way, Baby!!!

R˛ is my fourth bike to have one. I've beat the freakin snot out of one on my KLR. Most durable skid plate I've ever owned. 2nd only to my Trials Bike which comes stock with a real World Class skid plate...cause we make our livin with them.

HF

p.s. Harmonics...Pax..?? I've never had a harmonic problem with a skid plate. Bolt that sucker TIGHT! Use a cheater bar. Just saying...
Old 10-27-2008, 07:55 PM   #896
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,926
Quote:
Like many others here I got the Flatland skid plate, very nice bit of kit for $85

cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 08:19 PM   #897
Pax
shazam.

Oddometer: 812
Purely conjecture from a few fellows...said their bikes got louder with a solid plate so they wound up drilling holes. I noticed no appreciable increase on mine. It is bolted nice and tight...although I won't tell you about the "almost disaster" with the un-tightened down seat. Duhr.

-P

Quote:
p.s. Harmonics...Pax..?? I've never had a harmonic problem with a skid plate. Bolt that sucker TIGHT! Use a cheater bar. Just saying...

RIDES:
Pop & Pax - West TAT 2009
| The Dean of Adventure Routes

“Character is much easier kept than recovered.” –Thomas Paine
Pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 08:33 PM   #898
SheWolf
Under Your Bed

Hmmm...well considering what it's gonna cost me to have it shipped across the line. Part, + shipping + duty + 2 sales taxes...then there's the currency conversion because our buck is more than yours. URF!!! I'm looking at close to $250. Methinks there's more mathematics coming up.

2009 WR250R

Old 10-27-2008, 08:33 PM   #899
rufus

Quote:
Very nice, Rufus! Now this is a great solution! A little pricey....ok, a lot pricey....if I read it correctly. But why didn't someone think of this a long time ago....or did they??

Only problem, I've already bought my regular BMW powerlet. It only cost $20. Guess I'll start making a custom mounting plate and post it up later.

HF

Yep.......price is kind of ridiculous. BUT, since you have a brand new pretty bike i thought you might want only the best. . For my beat up old 525 I just bent up a piece of scrap metal and drilled a couple a holes in it. OR you could do like Jerry did on his KLR, get a $6 plug from walmart and "mount" it with a couple of zip ties. About the 2nd day on the TAT it was falling apart. A few wraps of electrical tape and it finished the ride intact! The choice is up to you.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:42 PM   #900
rufus

Just to add to the tire discussion. If you ever have to ride in some slimey mud the MT21 is probably the worst tire on the planet for this. 606 works good (not great) everywhere. Maxis IT ( not DOT) is another great all around tire. They both will probably outlast anything else. Kenda 760 rear is close to them both and cheap.