Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2008, 07:05 PM   #931
SheWolf
Under Your Bed

Oddometer: 629
Too bad I don't have a pic of the broken one someone had on their XT. The welds gave out after only having a 5 gallon jerry can strapped onto it while going up to a fishing lake. Sure it mates up to the frame of the bike but that doesn't help if the substructure of the rack gives out like it did.

Oh and yay I got the 606's on the bike! The front was a snap. The rear...yeah. I'm glad no one was around when I was jamming those tire spoons. The bike doesn't sit any higher than stock, so woohoo! It's supposed to rain the next few days so I'm a gonna test them out in the mudz.

2009 WR250R

http://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/forum.htm
SheWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 07:25 PM   #932
trashed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Fun!

I am having to much fun on this bike! Does anybody know if going to a 12 tooth front will kill my top end? I still want to be able to cruze at 70-75 without hurting the motor. And how bad will my gas milage go down?

trashed screwed with this post 11-25-2008 at 07:29 PM
trashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 07:27 PM   #933
scottmac
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,487
It rained here today!!!
It's gona rain again tomorrow!!!!

It's REALLY supposed to rain Saturday and SjSabre
and I are gonna go get our WRR's REALLY MUDDY!!!

Supposed to be showers on Sunday, maybe Monday too!!!
scottmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 07:31 PM   #934
SheWolf
Under Your Bed

I wanna see pics!!!

2009 WR250R

Old 10-30-2008, 07:38 PM   #935
montesa_vr
Legend in his own mind

Oddometer: 1,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by trashed
Does anybody know if going to a 12 tooth front will kill my top end? I still want to be able to cruze at 70-75 without hurting the motor. And how bad will my gas milage go down?
Based on magazine performance testing, a stock WR250R will not pull to redline in 6th gear, so a one tooth drop at the countershaft might actually increase top speed. And you could cruise at 85 without hurting the motor, if the engine would pull it. The stroke is so short that the piston isn't moving very fast even at 10,000 rpm.

Now whether the extra noise from the higher revving would bug you at 75 only you can decide. And gas mileage will almost certainly go down some.

Found some detail from a couple of my old posts:

By my calculations [RPM= ((Final Gear Ratio * 168) * MPH) / Radius] with stock gearing the WRR would be turning 8,074 rpm at 80 in sixth, but possibly the radius of the rear tire isn't a full 13.5", in which case it would be turning slightly higher, possibly a few hundred rpm higher.

Anyway, if you were going for a top speed run, you would probably rev it all the way to 10,000 rpm in 5th, so you'd be going approximately 88 mph before you shifted into 6th.

Reasonable engine speed is no issue for the WR250R. It has a stroke of only 53.6 mm. Converting that to feet (and being lazy, I do that here http://www.worldwidemetric.com/metcal.htm ) gives us .17585 feet.

Multiply .17585 time two, for piston going down and piston going up, and you have the piston moving .3517 feet with each revolution. Multiply that times 10,000 rpm and you have a piston speed of 3,517 fpm, well below the theoretical limit of 4000 fpm.

The bottom line is, if the WR250R had the horsepower (or the tailwind) to do it, it could run at 99 mph all day long. It certainly wouldn't be revving the engine too high.

montesa_vr screwed with this post 10-30-2008 at 08:00 PM
montesa_vr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 07:57 PM   #936
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,604
Quote:
I am having to much fun on this bike! Does anybody know if going to a 12 tooth front will kill my top end? I still want to be able to cruze at 70-75 without hurting the motor. And how bad will my gas milage go down?
Just put on a 12 tooth last weekend. See my earlier post. It feels PERFECT! She'll just crawl real slow & smooth. And runs up to speed quicker, after all, R˛ likes to Rev. Exactly as Montessa stated, it actually increased my top end speed. It doesn't run out of pulling force so easily when it approaches 90mph like the stock gearing. I tucked in and pulled right on up to 92mph indicated, before having to shut her down due to traffic. Think I might make it to 95mph now. Its the dang'dest thing.

I liked it so much I ordered 46 tooth TI rear sprocket and new Smart Chain from Sidewinder for a permanent installation. I'll put the stock 13 counter with the balancers back on. 13/46 = 12/43 gearing.

HF
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 08:11 PM   #937
trashed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Thanks

Thanks for the info montesa and highfive!!!!

I guess I must be wringing this things neck cause at 80 something miles shes on the countdown for fuel. I am also in the break in miles still. Just a little over 300 miles. I am sure when people say they are getting around 70 mpg, they must be running in the 55 mph range. I have been running mine in town and for short jaunts on the superslab. I guess doing wheelies at stop lights does not help the milage much either.

I just don't want this thing to not be able to pass a gas station. But I would like a harder pull in 6th. Right now on hills I have to shift to 5th. But on the flatt areas she's fine in 6th. I guess I will have to just find a 12 tooth sproket first, then just see if I like it. Anybody know where I can get one. And is it hard to install. Any issues with the chain I need to know about?
trashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 08:38 PM   #938
SheWolf
Under Your Bed

JT carries one. I have one on order. If you have the OEM rear sprocket your chain won't be an issue, it's when you go bigger on the rear you will have to get a longer chain.

2009 WR250R

Old 10-30-2008, 08:38 PM   #939
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive
I liked it so much I ordered 46 tooth TI rear sprocket and new Smart Chain from Sidewinder for a permanent installation. I'll put the stock 13 counter with the balancers back on. 13/46 = 12/43 gearing.
HF
HF, when you get the rear sprocket and chain, could you share the part numbers? Thinking of doing the same thing.

Did you get the GYTR handguards from the dealer or online?

Did you know David Knight, in his latest DVD "Iron Man of Enduro" talks about the fact he never uses metal handguards even in competition, just the plastic deflector flags like you installed, to keep leaves and twigs from pulling levers. He said the metal handguards would make him less cautious around trees and such so without the metal handguards he always rides trees and rocks more carefully. Of course, when you are as good as he is, he can ride whatever and make it work fine, former trials guy too.
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 05:34 AM   #940
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Quote:
Thanks for the info montesa and highfive!!!!

I just don't want this thing to not be able to pass a gas station. But I would like a harder pull in 6th. Right now on hills I have to shift to 5th. But on the flatt areas she's fine in 6th. I guess I will have to just find a 12 tooth sproket first, then just see if I like it. Anybody know where I can get one. And is it hard to install. Any issues with the chain I need to know about?
The 12 Tooth is your solution. I had same problem on hills. Now, R˛ pulls the hills quite fine in 6th. So, I'm expecting it to haul the pack-load much better with this gearing.

I bought a counter sprocket from the Yama dealer for 07 WR250F...$15. Perfect match. Piece of cake to install.

Take off your sprocket guard. Remove your chain (loosen tensioners and roll off the chain from rear sprocket...got to force it a little). Then look carefully at the retaining nut holding the sprocket on. It has a soft flange that is smashed into a little groove in two places on the shaft. This is a locking - security measure. You need to pry up those two small indentations to free the nut so it will spin. Be careful, don't crack or break the flange, as you will need to re-smash it into that spot when your done.

You need a large socket (27mm or 30mm....I forget) and a long handle. I use my extra long torque wrench. The nut will turn normal (counter-clockwise) to remove. Put the bike in 1st gear, then have someone else stand on the right side of bike and lock down the rear brake firmly with their foot. This will keep the shaft (motor) from turning while you do the muscle work.

Remove the nut, the stock sprocket, and be careful to keep track of the washer/spacer behind it. Put your new sprocket on in reverse order. Pretty firm tightening on the nut.....depends how long your socket handle is. I applied 50 ft-lbs torque with my measured wrench. The stock chain worked fine. You'll just need to adjust the tensioners farther back.

HF.
Old 10-31-2008, 05:57 AM   #941
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg
HF, when you get the rear sprocket and chain, could you share the part numbers? Thinking of doing the same thing.

Did you get the GYTR handguards from the dealer or online?

Did you know David Knight, in his latest DVD "Iron Man of Enduro" talks about the fact he never uses metal handguards even in competition, just the plastic deflector flags like you installed, to keep leaves and twigs from pulling levers. He said the metal handguards would make him less cautious around trees and such so without the metal handguards he always rides trees and rocks more carefully. Of course, when you are as good as he is, he can ride whatever and make it work fine, former trials guy too.
From the Yama dealer. The handguards only cost $27 and I get a 10% discount since I purchased my bike there. The mounting hardware was a little bit more...but I forget how much...maybe $30 (depends which style you select). Really really nice handguards for $27.

Of course I knew that, I taught David everything he knows about riding.

I just figure I've rode trials for 20 years in nothing but rocks & trees. Endured many spills and crashes. Some pretty nasty. The bar end plugs have always done the job. I've only broke a lever one time in 20 years. So, the bark buster seem like major overkill to me. Figure if I need them, then I really need to slow down. Just saying....

Regarding the chain & sprocket, I just called Sidewinder and talked to Mike. He was very knowledgeable and seemed to know exactly what I needed for the R˛. The package actually arrived yesterday (in 2 days! ). I didn't know it was sitting on the porch until this morning when I left for work.

The invoice shows: 100-2201-46 Ti-II for the rear sprocket
and 106-520-110 Ti Smart Chain 10K for the chain. I got the silver chain with 10,000 lbs tensile strenght (Mike's recommendation). He custom made the chain to 110 links. Said you have to have an even number. And that would work perfect for my 13/46 combo....since stock setup 12/43 was 108 links.

Also bought an extra master link, special chain lube for this Smart Chain. and their chain alignment tool (always wanted one of these). He said the lube will work on any o-ring chain and never gum up with grit. Its synthetic and designed to absorb into the O-rings....which will then excrete the lube over time (with heat & friction). Said I'll only need to lube the chain about once every 500 miles! I like that.

The pins on this chain are oversize diameter compared to regular chains. So you can only use a Sidewinder Smart Chain masterlink made for this specifically. Now, I wish I had ordered another spare and several spare clips. They're pretty cheap.

I'll install it sometime this weekend and report back later. Mike said they've run several dyno tests on different bikes. They've measured an increase of 1.0 - 1.5 HP with this Smart Chain WHEN PROPERLY ALIGNED. Yeah, that's why I bought the little alignment tool.

I figure all this is worth the investment because I'm KEEPING R˛ forever!

The TI-II sprocket is guaranteed for LIFE! And, Mike said the chain will probably last half of forever.....

Later,
HF
Old 10-31-2008, 07:31 AM   #942
Pax
shazam.

Oddometer: 814
HF:

In the name of all that is Good and Holy: Quit it. Stop. You are addicted. It is bad and you are tempting me. I come back to this thread and you have done more! Then I get to thinking, "titanium...sprocket...lifetime guarantee...smart chain...must haaaaaaave..." Bad HF, Bad! I've sworn off fiddling with my R2 for at least a year. I am determined to ride it off the shelf and at last try to wear out some of the OEM stuff!

Ok, now seriously, what is the chain lube you bought? Would it work with any O-Ring chain?

-Pax

“Character is much easier kept than recovered.” –Thomas Paine
Pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 07:39 AM   #943
Pax
shazam.

HA! I ride with huge metal Cycra guards. You can do the math on my skills! -P

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg
Of course, when you are as good as he is, he can ride whatever and make it work fine, former trials guy too.

Old 10-31-2008, 10:04 AM   #944
Pax
shazam.

Ok, now I'm quoting myself.

I was just kidding HF. Please come back. Do something with your wheels or the front fender or some additional fuel...please?

-P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pax
HF:

In the name of all that is Good and Holy: Quit it. Stop. You are addicted. It is bad and you are tempting me. I come back to this thread and you have done more! Then I get to thinking, "titanium...sprocket...lifetime guarantee...smart chain...must haaaaaaave..." Bad HF, Bad! I've sworn off fiddling with my R2 for at least a year. I am determined to ride it off the shelf and at last try to wear out some of the OEM stuff!

Ok, now seriously, what is the chain lube you bought? Would it work with any O-Ring chain?

-Pax

Old 10-31-2008, 10:49 AM   #945
Krabill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,283
HF is an evil s.o.b., isn't he? He showed up at our lunch spot today riding his little blue monster. Gave me the key and let me try it out again now that he's done more with it. He has to stop doing that . . . I want one so bad already I'm getting physical pains. Need . . . to . . . sell . . . some . . . bikes . . . first. Ugh.
Krabill is offline   Reply With Quote