Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2008, 04:13 AM   #106
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 45,200
the real question should be what is the top speed through big rocks on tough quad cleared dual track. christ its a 250 who's going to be going down the highway on it.
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 06:37 AM   #107
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug
the real question should be what is the top speed through big rocks on tough quad cleared dual track. christ its a 250 who's going to be going down the highway on it.
LOL, that only concerns folks that ACTUALLY ride dirt.
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 07:21 AM   #108
MiamiMotorcyclist
used to be -MiamiUly

Oddometer: 1,853
Quote:
It's a bit of a ride for me to get to the dirt. While I could get there with out riding highway, the fact that it can do 80 or better means that I would feel okay in the slow lane on the highway.

Traffic moves pretty quickly down here and drivers suck, so you it's good to have a little beyond the speed limit on tap.

Personally it isn't so much that I care how fast it goes, more that I am impressed with how fast the little bike appears to be able to go.

I want one, maybe in september when the 09's come, I will be in a position to buy.
MiamiMotorcyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 07:23 AM   #109
Gargoyle
Trail Jester

Oddometer: 1,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie
... come on nachtflug, get those 606's dirty!
Berkshire Trail Riders on Facebook or follow me on Twitter
Gargoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 07:36 AM   #110
montesa_vr
Legend in his own mind

Oddometer: 1,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by reconsmr
Having a 80+ reserve is real nice, I'm guessin the real cruise speed is 65-70 at reasonable RPM/piston speed??? Time for more math,,,
Reasonable engine speed is no issue for the WR250R. It has a stroke of only 53.6 mm. Converting that to feet (and being lazy, I do that here http://www.worldwidemetric.com/metcal.htm ) gives us .17585 feet.

Multiply .17585 time two, for piston going down and piston going up, and you have the piston moving .3517 feet with each revolution. Multiply that times 10,000 rpm and you have a piston speed of 3,517 fpm, well below the theoretical limit of 4000 fpm.

The bottom line is, if the WR250R had the horsepower (or the tailwind) to do it, it could run at 99 mph all day long. It certainly wouldn't be revving the engine too high.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:33 AM   #111
OrangeTJ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
highway

Quote:
Understand what you're saying, but if I bought one I'd want to be able to hop on it and ride it from my driveway to the dirt. Some of the dirt I'd want to ride is a couple of hours away and the highway is the only reasonable way to get there. It isn't particularly high speed highway (50 from Sacto to Nevada) but it's highway nonetheless. The bike does sound like it has the legs to run at the speeds I'd deem necessary, so I'm getting all the more intrigued.
OrangeTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 09:22 AM   #112
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 45,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 09:31 AM   #113
G-Wing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 195
Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by montesa_vr
Reasonable engine speed is no issue for the WR250R. It has a stroke of only 53.6 mm. Converting that to feet (and being lazy, I do that here http://www.worldwidemetric.com/metcal.htm ) gives us .17585 feet.

Multiply .17585 time two, for piston going down and piston going up, and you have the piston moving .3517 feet with each revolution. Multiply that times 10,000 rpm and you have a piston speed of 3,517 fpm, well below the theoretical limit of 4000 fpm.

The bottom line is, if the WR250R had the horsepower (or the tailwind) to do it, it could run at 99 mph all day long. It certainly wouldn't be revving the engine too high.
are you still snowbound up there?
"Excellent, there was a big one coming up ‘Cheap petrol in hell’, that really got me pondering, until I got a little closer and realised the ‘S’ had dropped off the sign advertising the Shell servo in Norseman. Shame really, it was a thought-provoking slogan." - Katie em
G-Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 10:17 AM   #114
montesa_vr
Legend in his own mind

Oddometer: 1,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Wing
are you still snowbound up there?
Heck no! We've been snow free for over ten days now. The ice even melted off the lake last week. At the rate we're going, we might even see real leaves before the weekend.

There is a large and active group called Minnesotans for Global Warming.
Old 05-07-2008, 01:13 PM   #115
Sock Monkey OP
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by montesa_vr
There is a large and active group called Minnesotans for Global Warming.
I've heard they are holding a chili cook-off this weekend, followed by a bean-feast, to assist in production of various gasses.....

-NoVector
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 02:09 PM   #116
Sock Monkey OP
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,852
I farkled her...does that make her mine?

Ah, the joys of farkling.

I finally got around to adding the first of a few add-ons that I have in mind. This one was supposed to be "easy", but was a little more labor intensive than I expected, so I thought I'd share my findings with you.

So, the first farkle is hand guards. Specifically, these (Acerbis Rally Pro, in Yamaha blue, of course):

Here are a couple of things that made the install take a bit longer than expected. First, I had to either 1) move the lever perches, or 2) hack off the ends of the levers, because they hit the guards. I went with option #2 because I prefer short levers anyway (I come from a dirt-riding background, and have always used "shorty" levers on my bikes). Next, I had to hack the end of the throttle tube off to fit the bar-end mounting bolt inside the bar.

Here are a few pics to show what I mean. Bah! Closed end on the throttle tube. Time for hacking....

In the end, I think they look pretty sharp:

And here's how the levers ended up:

Clutch -

Brake -

The test ride showed no binding on the throttle tube, so I didn't screw that up too much, and the wind protection was better than I expected for such small deflectors. Also, these guards are extremely sturdy, and I would expect the bars to bend before these things do.

-NoVector

Sock Monkey screwed with this post 05-07-2008 at 02:44 PM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 02:26 PM   #117
rosscoact
need constant supervision

Oddometer: 5,475
Quote:
Under that rationale it is a dirtbike NOT an adventure bike and this thread should be move to a dirt bike forum. If I wanted a bike that wasn't capable on the highway then I'd buy a KTM exc, not frig about with a WRR

www.transaustraliatrail.com.au
rosscoact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 02:47 PM   #118
sensai
master

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVector
Ah, the joys of farkling.

I finally got around to adding the first of a few add-ons that I have in mind. This one was supposed to be "easy", but was a little more labor intensive than I expected, so I thought I'd share my findings with you.

So, the first farkle is hand guards. Specifically, these (Acerbis Rally Pro, in Yamaha blue, of course):

Here are a couple of things that made the install take a bit longer than expected. First, I had to either 1) move the lever perches, or 2) hack off the ends of the levers, because they hit the guards. I went with option #2 because I prefer short levers anyway (I come from a dirt-riding background, and have always used "shorty" levers on my bikes). Next, I had to hack the end of the throttle tube off to fit the bar-end mounting bolt inside the bar.
I was able to get mine on without hacking the levers but there's only about 1/4 of clearance.
sensai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 02:52 PM   #119
sensai
master

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
When riding my WRR through technical track with rocks, big to me at least, I'm not so concerned as the top speed but caught glimpse of 35 - 40mph. I'm sure it could do more but the pilot was holding it back...

I have also ran this thing on the highway and it felt that it could do 75 - 80mph all day...caught myself reaching 85+ a couple of times but backed off....it does get a little squirrely on the highways with rain grooves so the bike moves a little side to side but that just adds for excitement.
sensai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 02:58 PM   #120
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,732
I just got a Rapid Transit Stack LT strap mount tank bag. It was a pain in the butt to get it strapped on right. BTW there is nothing to let magnets cling to for a magnetic bag. The Wolfman strap mount bag is probably a better choice. I am going to fill mine up with water bottles to get the arch in the bag to go the other way and conform to the seat curvature.