Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2008, 08:37 PM   #121
Sock Monkey OP
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdnakx250
I just got a Rapid Transit Stack LT strap mount tank bag. It was a pain in the butt to get it strapped on right. BTW there is nothing to let magnets cling to for a magnetic bag. The Wolfman strap mount bag is probably a better choice. I am going to fill mine up with water bottles to get the arch in the bag to go the other way and conform to the seat curvature.
I've got the Wolfman tank bag from my Dakar, and it fits, but it's a bit big. I think I'll look into one of the smaller Wolfman bags at some point (Explorer Lite or Enduro), but for now, the old Denali will have to do.

-NoVector
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 11:43 PM   #122
reconsmr
Banned

Oddometer: 1,522
That piston speed seems really reasonable at 80 MPH, I'll have to snag a ride on one of these at some point, I have yet to ride a sigle with FI that really worked as well as a well set-up FCR. Seems like a giant step up in big 4 dualsports.
reconsmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 10:22 AM   #123
Sock Monkey OP
Corporate slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconsmr
That piston speed seems really reasonable at 80 MPH, I'll have to snag a ride on one of these at some point, I have yet to ride a sigle with FI that really worked as well as a well set-up FCR. Seems like a giant step up in big 4 dualsports.
Have you ridden the '08 Husky TE250/450/510? I'd be interested in getting your impression of them if you have, because that was the direction I was heading for a "pure dirt" bike if I hadn't decided to go with a more 50/50 bike like the WRR. I've heard very positive reviews of the FI on them.

-NoVector
Old 05-08-2008, 10:39 AM   #124
Fast1
Twisted Throttle

Oddometer: 1,808
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVector
Have you ridden the '08 Husky TE250/450/510? I'd be interested in getting your impression of them if you have, because that was the direction I was heading for a "pure dirt" bike if I hadn't decided to go with a more 50/50 bike like the WRR. I've heard very positive reviews of the FI on them.

I've got a new 08 TE510 with the power-up exhaust on and it is absolutely spot on fuel metering with FI. I've got plenty of experience fine tunning needles, clips positions, pilots and main jets also to know a properly fuel metered system.

It is down right amazing on pavement and with appropriate tires that have been balanced to compensate for the rim locks you can cruise all day long with a 15 tooth counter. Just don't twist the throttle more than 1/2 or you will be riding wheelies everywhere and put your DL at risk. That and you have to remember that the pavement requires you to follow all those rules you break while in the dirt.

The little WR was on my two bike list before my purchase and I still feel it is an exceptional bike. Wish I had both.

Fast1 screwed with this post 05-08-2008 at 08:35 PM
Fast1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 10:47 AM   #125
Sock Monkey OP
Corporate slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast55
I've got a new 08 TE510 with the power-up exhaust on and it is absolutely spot on fuel metering with FI. I've got plenty of experience fine tunning needles, clips positions, pilots and main jets also to know a properly fuel metered system.

It is down right amazing on pavement and with appropriate tires that have been balanced to compensate for the rim locks you can cruise all day long with a 15 tooth counter. Just don't twist the throttle more than 1/2 or you will be riding wheelies everywhere and put your DL at risk. That and you have to remember that the pavement requires all those rules you break while in the dirt.

The little WR was on my two bike list before my purchase and I still feel it is an excectional bike. Wish I had both.
Very nice bike! And thanks for confirming the FI performance.

Can you tell me what the recommended oil change and valve adjust intervals are? Also, what's the oil capacity? Finally, how are the vibes at highway speeds (say, 60+mph)? I'm curious because I know how all of that was on my KTM520 and wonder if the Husky is better/worse/same.

Thanks!
NoVector
Old 05-08-2008, 11:08 AM   #126
reconsmr
Banned

Oddometer: 1,522
Still waiting to ride a power up TE or SMR, in DOT trim they are useless. If Yamaha got it right on in DOT tune that is excellent!!! Wonder how much more a tune might reveal in the WR???
reconsmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 11:43 AM   #127
Sock Monkey OP
Corporate slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconsmr
Still waiting to ride a power up TE or SMR, in DOT trim they are useless. If Yamaha got it right on in DOT tune that is excellent!!! Wonder how much more a tune might reveal in the WR???
I'm hearing reports of folks ordering aftermarket pipes for the WRR/X, but so far, I haven't seen where anyone has one installed. It will be interesting to see how much more performance might be lurking in that motor, but honestly, I'm not looking for more. It's a solid package as-is. I would equate it to my KTM in that regard. I never once looked for aftermarket engine/exhaust components for that bike, because it performed so well straight out of the box. All I did to it was rejet it to fix the ultra lean config that KTM was forced to use to get it past CA DOT and CARB. With the WRR and FI, no rejet fiddling required....

-NoVector
Old 05-08-2008, 12:22 PM   #128
sensai
master

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
I'm hearing reports of folks ordering aftermarket pipes for the WRR/X, but so far, I haven't seen where anyone has one installed. It will be interesting to see how much more performance might be lurking in that motor, but honestly, I'm not looking for more. It's a solid package as-is. I would equate it to my KTM in that regard. I never once looked for aftermarket engine/exhaust components for that bike, because it performed so well straight out of the box. All I did to it was rejet it to fix the ultra lean config that KTM was forced to use to get it past CA DOT and CARB. With the WRR and FI, no rejet fiddling required....

-NoVector
I'm sure I'll be riding mine in stock trim for a while also.
sensai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 12:30 PM   #129
Gargoyle
Trail Jester

Oddometer: 1,155
Quote:

-NoVector
There are several people on TumperTalk that have installed a FMF Q4 muffler and Power Bomb pipe. Here are two links from owners ... one R and one X ...

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/sho...91#post6317991

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=631259

I ordered my FMF setup last week, hopefully it will be in soon. I will post my experience in the future.
Berkshire Trail Riders on Facebook or follow me on Twitter
Gargoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 01:32 PM   #130
Sock Monkey OP
Corporate slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle
There are several people on TumperTalk that have installed a FMF Q4 muffler and Power Bomb pipe. Here are two links from owners ... one R and one X ...

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/sho...91#post6317991

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=631259

I ordered my FMF setup last week, hopefully it will be in soon. I will post my experience in the future.
Thanks for the links.

It's interesting that one guy thought the new header/pipe helped the low-end a little, while the other guy felt it helped a lot. Maybe a difference in rider styles and uses (one was the R, the other as the X).

It will also be interesting to see what the old components weigh compared to the new ones. I have to think that the OEM pipe w/ cat converter is crazy heavy compared to the new one. I agree with one poster that felt the difference could be as much as 10lbs. That's huge. And that Baja rear LED light and turn signals looks pretty nice too. Must....resist....farkle urge.....

-NoVector
Old 05-08-2008, 01:34 PM   #131
error cooled
anything but asphalt

Oddometer: 1,152
Quote:
A

I would be terrified to ride seriously off road with those levers. All I can imagine is that lever impaling my hand clean through in a get off.

The balled end on levers normally are there to prevent that sort of thing..
error cooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 01:47 PM   #132
Sock Monkey OP
Corporate slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopewellz
I would be terrified to ride seriously off road with those levers. All I can imagine is that lever impaling my hand clean through in a get off.

The balled end on levers normally are there to prevent that sort of thing..
I've been riding off-road (I'm rarely serious....) for many years with levers either cut off, or purchased as "shorty" levers, and never even heard of such a thing. Of course, I've always used some sort of guard too, so I'm not sure how the lever would even get to tender bits to poke through.....

-NoVector
Old 05-08-2008, 02:39 PM   #133
Gargoyle
Trail Jester

Oddometer: 1,155
Quote:
Must....resist....farkle urge.....

-NoVector
I have already succumb to the power of the farkle-force ...
Berkshire Trail Riders on Facebook or follow me on Twitter
Gargoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 03:19 PM   #134
Sock Monkey OP
Corporate slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle
I have already succumb to the power of the farkle-force ...

I saw that in your post on TT! Be sure to report back on how the new header/pipe work out (did you order both?). Also, if you can, weigh the new stuff and the old stuff and report back on the differences. If it really sheds 10+lbs that are 1) up high, and 2) hangin' off the back of the bike, it might have to go onto my Christmas list this year.

-NoVector
Old 05-08-2008, 07:06 PM   #135
G-Wing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
Laugh Yipee!!!

OK Fellow Farklers I found a real skid plate made just for my lit'l blue . I'm waiting for feedback on exhaust and news of an aftermarket tank with at least another gallon.
"Excellent, there was a big one coming up ‘Cheap petrol in hell’, that really got me pondering, until I got a little closer and realised the ‘S’ had dropped off the sign advertising the Shell servo in Norseman. Shame really, it was a thought-provoking slogan." - Katie em
G-Wing is offline   Reply With Quote