Oddometer: 6,499
"Tarpage" is always good.

Mark H.
AKDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 06:41 PM   #17
thetourist
Just passing thru

Oddometer: 3,764
I think that is what I'm looking for. Thanks.
thetourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 09:06 PM   #18
ownst1100
BLUES TRAVELER 04'GSA

Oddometer: 994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Alexander
What do you think about the Mantis setup I posted using your pole that you made to attach to your topbox as the holdout for the tall end? You can't park under it of course but it would surely keep the mosquitoes away.
I think it could work out well. You might want to think about beefing up the top bow. I added a .090 doubler to the bottom of my Jesse along with a .090 courner doubler for the mast mount. This really stiffened the box up. Amazing what a little extra material and a bend here and there can do to strengthen thing up.

Its all riveted in place with solid rivets making it very strong.

I don't have a picture if the doubler behind the mast mount but it does cover the a good deal of the courner of the box, two surfaces, front and side for strength.
04' BMW GS Adventurer with Alumigo trailer
05' GoldWing with Trekker trailer
http://community.webshots.com/user/ownst1100
ownst1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 01:58 AM   #19
dlh62c
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthroamer
Hope to see you, Daryl. What size Noah is that?
EarthRoamer

It's the Noah 12'x12'. Its the middle sized one.

Where did do purchase your net from?

I have a head net backed, but the large netting is a good ideal.

I plan to leave St Louis on the 30th of May. I figure 10 days up, 10 days there and 10 days back. I'll be riding a 2007 KTM 640 Adventure.

daryl

dlh62c screwed with this post 04-09-2008 at 02:36 AM
dlh62c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 03:11 AM   #20
earthroamer OP
Stuck in Pindadesh

Oddometer: 2,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlh62c
EarthRoamer

It's the Noah 12'x12'. Its the middle sized one.

Where did do purchase your net from?

I have a head net backed, but the large netting is a good ideal.

I plan to leave St Louis on the 30th of May. I figure 10 days up, 10 days there and 10 days back. I'll be riding a 2007 KTM 640 Adventure.

daryl
The netting is called a Mombasa Outback Travel Net - Double and I got it from REI.

Leaving San Diego 2 June for 45 days. I have a blog that I keep updating with my itinerary. Hope to meet up with you, will you try to make D2D June 20?
earthroamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 03:55 AM   #21
ScEd
Dances with Deer

Oddometer: 284
Tarps are good. Saw this at WillVille Va. last year. Check out the poles, great until someone needs firewood.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:18 AM   #22
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,094
Cool2

Here's a few pics of mine, it's a Chinook 10'x10' with a kelty pole. I don't really carry it much, usually I'll make room for it when I know I'm in for wet weather or riding 2up - the chicky doesn't like camping all that much and being wet would be a tragedy...
The rest of the time I just cook in my vestibule and hang in my tent when it rains.

I like the tarp with netting for an Alaska trip from the OP, you can bet that will be used...

With reflective rope saved me from clothes lining myself a few times... when I had a headlamp.

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 07:12 PM   #23
Oldrice
oldrice.com

Oddometer: 527
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScot
They look interesting but I would be conerned with rain in a design like that, catching on the bug net and making it's way into the floor tub. But for summer stuff with bugs around that looks awesome!

oh and my week attempt at my first atrp setup with only 1 pole.
Good thread. I've been thinking about this for a while too (Thanks Keith!) and today I picked up a Hobitat 6 and checked it out...definitely cool but ...I opted for the Kelty Noah 12x12 like this one instead because it's light, packs just a tad bigger than a softball and has catch loops about every three feet and in the middle too. REI only had one four section Kelty pole but I think for now I can find something else for a pole if I need too. And I made an aluminum mount for the center pole (just like Keiths!) in two pieces and uses a "walking staff" with the large round end on it for the center piece. Gotta get another camera for pics. This one got wet. Hence the tarp.

Now I too can cook with my Keiths OWNST1100 Komplete Kitchen Kit under my tarp. Sweet.

Oldrice-
www.oldrice.com

AJS Trials, CB250K0, XL250K0
Oldrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 07:33 PM   #24
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 6,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownst1100
I think it could work out well. You might want to think about beefing up the top bow. I added a .090 doubler to the bottom of my Jesse along with a .090 courner doubler for the mast mount. This really stiffened the box up. Amazing what a little extra material and a bend here and there can do to strengthen thing up.

Its all riveted in place with solid rivets making it very strong.

I don't have a picture if the doubler behind the mast mount but it does cover the a good deal of the courner of the box, two surfaces, front and side for strength.
That's a great idea to stiffen it up, in fact I've got a Jesse luggage rack that he sells that is exactly the same size as the bottom of the top box and it's painted nice and black and curved at the edges and everything.

I've been thinking that using the bike for an anchor point with that Mantis would put a lot of sideways strain on the pole so I figure it could get guyed out too but on the opposite side of the bike to balance the load. I like the screened in idea because around the north east we have black fly season that eventually turns into mosquito season with a nice overlap between the two ... and then there's that Alsaka trip I think for car camping it would be ideal too.
Old 04-10-2008, 01:59 AM   #25
dlh62c
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthroamer
The netting is called a Mombasa Outback Travel Net - Double and I got it from REI.

Leaving San Diego 2 June for 45 days. I have a blog that I keep updating with my itinerary. Hope to meet up with you, will you try to make D2D June 20?
EarthRoamer

Will I make the D2D? I don't know. The only schedule I'm sticking too is leaving on May 31st and getting home on June 30th.

daryl
Old 04-10-2008, 02:21 AM   #26
dlh62c
Beastly Adventurer

I also played around with a different setup of my tarp last summer.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Get rid of the wimpy tent pegs and replace them with nail spikes to drive into the ground.

[IMG][/IMG]

daryl
Old 04-10-2008, 06:28 AM   #27
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlh62c

[IMG][/IMG]

daryl

That is one handy/scary looking hammer/axe/prybar!

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 09:08 AM   #28
dlh62c
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTown
That is one handy/scary looking hammer/axe/prybar!
I've had it for many years. It's a wicked looking thing. It works better as a hammer and pry bar than it does as an ax.

daryl
Old 04-10-2008, 11:04 AM   #29
AngryScot

Oddometer: 18,307
pole ends - tips?

Pun intended

I fabed my own poles from an old tripod sign holder, they don't have grommet tips yet so I have a question.
I made the poles in 2 3pole sections with an additional 2 poles that canbe used to extend one pole or adjust the height of both. But since the pole extentions fit inside the ends where I would normally have a tip if just using the 3 sections, I need a sort of removable grommet tip. From what I can tell the tip will take a bit of force, I was thinking a rubber stopper with a small grommet pin sticking out. Do you think that would work? or do I need something stronger? Was thinking maybe a cover for the ends that uses the pole as support and has a grommet pin on the end?

Here are the poles:
They are 18 1/2" so they fit in my jesse bags, so approx height with just the 3 sections is 4' 6" and an additional 3ft if I use both extentions on one pole or about 5ft on both poles. This should give me lots of options if I can find a good way to add removable pole tips for the grommets.

Thanks!
AngryScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 11:34 AM   #30
G-Dub
Custom User Title

Oddometer: 17
Tarpage

+1 for Tarp.
Get rid of the rain fly that comes with the tent, takes up too much room. Also get rid of the bag that comes with the tent and use a small stuff sack. It's quicker to pack in the morning and takes up less room. Just stick your poles in a side back or on the back of the bike. You need the right sized tarp, 4 bungees and 3 tent stakes. Ideally you need one tree but can use your bike instead.....Here's if you have a tree:

Here's if you don't have a tree (rocks not needed....very long story):

G-Dub is offline   Reply With Quote