User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2012, 08:11 PM   #466
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,023
Lots of Tarp Info

Sorry if this has already been posted before, but you guys are interested in tarps and it has a lot of ways to set up tarps for different uses...

http://www.equipped.com/tarp-shelters.htm
2bold2getold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:05 AM   #467
ThumperStorm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,115
I just don't understand how you guys get by with only a tarp to sleep under in the rain. Doesn't the ground get saturated with water? If on a slope there would be water flowing down hill. If on a flat, doesn't the water want to pool around? Maybe in a light rain it would be okay but in an all night thunderstorm, there is going to be a lot of water on the ground! Where I live, during a rain there are puddles and water flowing everywhere. I understand the use of a groundcloth but why doesn't it flood out?
Old 11-07-2012, 12:09 AM   #468
MuddySump
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
always wanted a tarp but never bothered.

might have to now after seeing all these good uses

www.youtube.com/muddysump
MuddySump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:24 AM   #469
mookybird
Gramps

Oddometer: 207
I've used tarps for many years for backcountry trips where keeping the bulk as small as possible is important, most of my motorcylce trips I take a freestanding tent because I tend to run long days and it makes a faster camp setup.

This is a silnylon rig called a patrol shelter with a serenity net bug bivy under it, they are both made by Mountain Laurel Designs, I have a couple of lite folding poles for it but if I'm on a bike I just use the handlebar to hold up the higher end.

mookybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:29 AM   #470
docwells7
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,626

Old Man Winter tarp with doors and center pole mod. (made by Wilderness Logics) Made of sylnylon and packs down really, really small (coke can small). I put adjustable tension lines on the four corners.
Don't sleep on the ground...use a hammock...
IBA#25276
Airhead#9654
docwells7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:37 PM   #471
mark1305
Old Enough To Know Better

Oddometer: 5,803
Hhhmmm... That dog looks familiar.

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
mark1305 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:49 PM   #472
frogy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 738
Dog ? I was lookin at the Viffer...love the yellow.
frogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:32 PM   #473
docwells7
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,626
Viffer is mine... Kenda the Wonder Dog is not, but she is cute. Thanks for the comment.
IBA#25276
Airhead#9654
docwells7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:36 AM   #474
frogy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 738
Viffers...the only whining I LIKE to hear.
frogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 01:17 PM   #475
jon_l
Southern Ontario

Oddometer: 2,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumperStorm View Post
I just don't understand how you guys get by with only a tarp to sleep under in the rain. Doesn't the ground get saturated with water? If on a slope there would be water flowing down hill. If on a flat, doesn't the water want to pool around? Maybe in a light rain it would be okay but in an all night thunderstorm, there is going to be a lot of water on the ground! Where I live, during a rain there are puddles and water flowing everywhere. I understand the use of a groundcloth but why doesn't it flood out?
I hope you get some replies on this, because I have been wondering the same thing.
Old 11-10-2012, 03:40 PM   #476
steve_k
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
I hope you get some replies on this, because I have been wondering the same thing.
Same here...
steve_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:59 PM   #477
nimrod
Pog Mo Thoin

Oddometer: 591
If I'm on the ground with a tarp I only count on it for the dew.
"Betweem two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before" -Mae West
nimrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:01 PM   #478
wassie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51

If your in an inner tent with a waterproof tub the water flows around and under.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:51 AM   #479
Andrew
Optimus Primer

Oddometer: 14,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumperStorm View Post
I've been through snow, hail, rain and extended downpours, and stayed quite dry under a tarp.

It's all in the proper siting of the tarp, and the spot underneath. Take advantage of high points of ground when you can, as well, use trees and boulders which naturally block the flow of water. Avoid setting up in a gully or in a low spot... pretty much sums it up. It's also helpful when the ground itself is still absorbent, so the water isn't all flowing overland.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:56 PM   #480
Dirtysouth
Stud fee waived for noobs

Oddometer: 4,825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
I've been through snow, hail, rain and extended downpours, and stayed quite dry under a tarp.

It's all in the proper siting of the tarp, and the spot underneath. Take advantage of high points of ground when you can, as well, use trees and boulders which naturally block the flow of water. Avoid setting up in a gully or in a low spot... pretty much sums it up. It's also helpful when the ground itself is still absorbent, so the water isn't all flowing overland.

+1. If you don't have a high point to set up on, the you could always dig a small trench around if on flat ground. If you set up in a bowl, well.....
Dirtysouth is offline   Reply With Quote