ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2008, 08:29 AM   #31
Airhead
More human than human
 
Airhead's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Fear and Loathing in Maine
Oddometer: 2,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steverino
Pipes not parallel (sit at different positions) hangers have 1/2" gap that allows the cans to flop around inside them. Other than that I love em.

I mitigated both issues by using some 1/2" neoprene on top of one side to force it down and on the bottom of the other side to force it up. This aligns them a little better and prevents the flopping of the cans.

When I sent an email enquiring about a solution to this I was sent an image saying it was KTM's fault. No comment regarding the poorly fitting hanger was provided.

I may have a installation issue but I took it all off and reinstalled it trying to get it aligned better to no avail. Now I just ride lopsided and I know this is costing me at least 10hp.
I had similar issues when I installed Leo's on my 950. The midpipe was almost impossible to get on due to the hanger tabs being too close together (I was finally able to muscle it on), and the left pipe sits higher than the right. The hanger straps are also WAY too big for the pipes...I didn't bother to shim them, as the pipes are rock solid as they are and have no slop...but I would expect a better fit from a top quality manufacturer.

BTW...many 950/990 owners here have complained that the pipes sit lopsided on the bike...do a search and you'll find at least a dozen complaints. It's not a big deal, but I would expect that a known problem like that would eventually be fixed...

Pipes sound and look (other than that they are lopsided) great, though!
__________________
'05.5 KTM 950 Adventure
2008 KTM 450 EXC-R
All Orange, Baby!
Airhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 01:26 PM   #32
Leo Vince OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Leo Vince's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: san juan capistrano ca
Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffallodan
No, here is the model:

X3 MOTOCROSS/SM ALUMINUM
Husqvarna SM 610
CC: 610
Year: 2006
Type: Slip-On
Part#: 3845
Includes 98dB/96dB Inserts & S/A

It has a stainless cap. It comes with two additional inserts. The only one that fits along with the screen is the short insert. Another member mentioned he cut one of the extra inserts to fit with the screen. Could you tell me which insert would be the most quiet of the three? I would also like to know what the decible level of each insert is as they are not marked. Is it possible for a Fabricator to make another insert to get the decibal level even lower? TIA

Dan
The 3845 is a slip-fit muffler, not a standard type muffler with a closed inlet port like the full system.


Technically if the inlet diameter is correct, we have an 94dB insert (p/n 303740603r) that may be able to be adapted, but its not intended for the 3845 muffler.

Leo Vince screwed with this post 04-10-2008 at 01:33 PM
Leo Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 01:32 PM   #33
Leo Vince OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Leo Vince's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: san juan capistrano ca
Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead
I had similar issues when I installed Leo's on my 950. The midpipe was almost impossible to get on due to the hanger tabs being too close together (I was finally able to muscle it on), and the left pipe sits higher than the right. The hanger straps are also WAY too big for the pipes...I didn't bother to shim them, as the pipes are rock solid as they are and have no slop...but I would expect a better fit from a top quality manufacturer.

BTW...many 950/990 owners here have complained that the pipes sit lopsided on the bike...do a search and you'll find at least a dozen complaints. It's not a big deal, but I would expect that a known problem like that would eventually be fixed...

Pipes sound and look (other than that they are lopsided) great, though!
per Manny (US technical manager)-
I am familiar with the 950 issue. I spoke to Italy about this last year and they said that the stock muffler is crooked and that there is nothing that we can do to change the crooked mounting of this system. They sent me a picture of a bike they had in R&D and even stock it was sitting too high on one side. See attached picture from Italy . I recently had a guy call about the tabs for the subframe and say they are way too far out. I really should get a bike in here and test this fitment.

If anyone is interested in helping us by going up to Richmond, CA and allowing Manny to use your bike for fitment R&D, email me at randy@leovinceusa.com .

Leo Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 01:39 PM   #34
Airhead
More human than human
 
Airhead's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Fear and Loathing in Maine
Oddometer: 2,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Vince

per Manny (US technical manager)-
I am familiar with the 950 issue. I spoke to Italy about this last year and they said that the stock muffler is crooked and that there is nothing that we can do to change the crooked mounting of this system. They sent me a picture of a bike they had in R&D and even stock it was sitting too high on one side. See attached picture from Italy . I recently had a guy call about the tabs for the subframe and say they are way too far out. I really should get a bike in here and test this fitment.

If anyone is interested in helping us by going up to Richmond, CA and allowing Manny to use your bike for fitment R&D, email me at randy@leovinceusa.com .

I'd love to come out to California on my 950...maybe you can convince my boss to give me a month of paid vacation...

The fit of the 950 system is not ideal. The crooked cans are annoying...but the tight fit to the subframe mounting tabs is a total PITA. It took me an hour, and a lot of swearing, just to get the tabs on the midpipe to fit over the mounting tabs on the subframe (I'm not a professional mechanic, but I'm not a total hack, either). And, the hanger straps are definitely too big...I don't have 1/2" gaps like Steve, but I definitely have gaps of 1/8" to 1/4" in places...

Not sure about the mufflers being crooked from KTM...I haven't noticed that Akra's or FMFs sit crooked...

If you ever get any resolution on this issue please PM me here...I'd love to get my Leo's to fit as they should!
__________________
'05.5 KTM 950 Adventure
2008 KTM 450 EXC-R
All Orange, Baby!
Airhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 02:25 PM   #35
CapoOwner
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: PDX
Oddometer: 69
Aprilia Caponord Fitment.

You system does not fit with the factory luggage racks (standard on the bikes for several years) without being shortened at the mid pipe. AF1, who I believe is one of the primary seller's of these systems, shortens them in house making them the only supplier to many who want a system that fits. Seems like altering the length on the midpipe would be a very easy fix and would make all who purchased them with or without the racks have a properly fitting system.

More importantly, ignore all of the above nonsense and thanks for making a system for a unique and small production bike.
CapoOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 03:21 PM   #36
Steverino
Arrogant Horse's Ass #1
 
Joined: Nov 2001
Oddometer: 36,548
I got that image from your tech department when I sent a message to them. To me that is a cop out. No offense, but if you know the location of the factory header and where you want the pipes to end up surely there is a way to design a system that accomplishes this.

What did they say about the hangers not fitting properly on the cans? I am sorry to dump on ya, but you asked an a good dialog about this issue may help future buyers and more will be willing.
Steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 03:38 PM   #37
larryboy
Paint it black.
 
larryboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Über Alles,Ca
Oddometer: 13,658
Is there a mid-pipe that I can put on my TE610? I'd like to keep the headers and stock muffler.

__________________
Be sure the safest rule is that we should not dare to live in any scene in which we dare not die. ~Lewis Carroll~
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 04:41 PM   #38
Leo Vince OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Leo Vince's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: san juan capistrano ca
Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapoOwner
Aprilia Caponord Fitment.

You system does not fit with the factory luggage racks (standard on the bikes for several years) without being shortened at the mid pipe. AF1, who I believe is one of the primary seller's of these systems, shortens them in house making them the only supplier to many who want a system that fits. Seems like altering the length on the midpipe would be a very easy fix and would make all who purchased them with or without the racks have a properly fitting system.

More importantly, ignore all of the above nonsense and thanks for making a system for a unique and small production bike.
I forwarded you comments to R&D, but more importantly there is retailer than is able to provide a solution for a rider who needs product today. Thank you for making me aware of this.

Leo Vince screwed with this post 04-10-2008 at 04:46 PM
Leo Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 04:45 PM   #39
Leo Vince OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Leo Vince's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: san juan capistrano ca
Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steverino
I got that image from your tech department when I sent a message to them. To me that is a cop out. No offense, but if you know the location of the factory header and where you want the pipes to end up surely there is a way to design a system that accomplishes this.

What did they say about the hangers not fitting properly on the cans? I am sorry to dump on ya, but you asked an a good dialog about this issue may help future buyers and more will be willing.
You are right that a good dialog will only benefit every one in the long run.
Manny didn't reply to the hanger situation. He's gone for the day, but I've already emailed him for a reply. I'll post his response.
Leo Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 04:47 PM   #40
Leo Vince OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Leo Vince's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: san juan capistrano ca
Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy
Is there a mid-pipe that I can put on my TE610? I'd like to keep the headers and stock muffler.

Nope
Did you damage the stock mid pipe?
Leo Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 11:19 AM   #41
Leo Vince OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Leo Vince's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: san juan capistrano ca
Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Vince
You are right that a good dialog will only benefit every one in the long run.
Manny didn't reply to the hanger situation. He's gone for the day, but I've already emailed him for a reply. I'll post his response.
Manny explained to me the muffler diameter and strap are pretty universal. The length may vary, but the diameter on the oval style can is fairly common. Perhaps the strap is bent or the rubber dampers where not used?
Leo Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 07:41 PM   #42
Brent4ADV
Enjoying empty roads...
 
Brent4ADV's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: B'ham, AL
Oddometer: 1,006
I didn't see on your website that you are still offering a slip on for a 2001 KTM LC4E. Do you have any in stock or is it discontinued? Thanks.
__________________
01 KTM LC4-E
02 KTM 520 EXC
My TAT Ride '08
Brent4ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 11:10 AM   #43
Steverino
Arrogant Horse's Ass #1
 
Joined: Nov 2001
Oddometer: 36,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Vince

Manny explained to me the muffler diameter and strap are pretty universal. The length may vary, but the diameter on the oval style can is fairly common. Perhaps the strap is bent or the rubber dampers where not used?
Nope and nope. Rubber installed, but does not stay in place due to loose strap. Kind of a catch 22 deal.
Steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 02:52 AM   #44
Max Kool
Xtankteam™
 
Max Kool's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Oddometer: 3,227
Leo Vince,

I have a question for you, or rather, a challenge.

Goes like this. Last year I bought a Leo Vince slip-on for my BMW Xchallenge. I really like this exhaust. It's lighter, looks much better than stock, sounds ok, etc. But there's really one thing that annoys me. I have on of the first series, and the heatshield on the connecting pipe is simply too short. Which makes you burn holes in your pants. I've gone through three pants already.

I have tried to fix the heat problem by ceramic coating the connecting tube, and this works to some extend. But the connecting pipe will always be a problem as long as it is unprotected.

I have seen Leo Vince has acknowledged this problem too, and now the connecting pipe of the Xchallenge comes with an extra (second) heatshield, all the way up front where the connecting pipe connects to the header.

I have allready tried to contact Leo Vince Italy about it. They either ignore me, or they don't read emails in other languages than Italian. I don't know.

Could you pull some leverage for me?

If needed I could supply with some pictures.
Max Kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 08:57 AM   #45
Leo Vince OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Leo Vince's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: san juan capistrano ca
Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Kool
Leo Vince,

I have a question for you, or rather, a challenge.

Goes like this. Last year I bought a Leo Vince slip-on for my BMW Xchallenge. I really like this exhaust. It's lighter, looks much better than stock, sounds ok, etc. But there's really one thing that annoys me. I have on of the first series, and the heatshield on the connecting pipe is simply too short. Which makes you burn holes in your pants. I've gone through three pants already.

I have tried to fix the heat problem by ceramic coating the connecting tube, and this works to some extend. But the connecting pipe will always be a problem as long as it is unprotected.

I have seen Leo Vince has acknowledged this problem too, and now the connecting pipe of the Xchallenge comes with an extra (second) heatshield, all the way up front where the connecting pipe connects to the header.

I have allready tried to contact Leo Vince Italy about it. They either ignore me, or they don't read emails in other languages than Italian. I don't know.

Could you pull some leverage for me?

If needed I could supply with some pictures.
We can help-
Check your PM
Leo Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014