Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2008, 10:20 PM   #1
DRconvertible OP
Lurking in SoCal

Oddometer: 256
Life moves slowly at 33 miles per hour

It's the ride that matters.

I just finished a ride. A slow ride. A very slow ride. The ride was performed by people whose heart size is inversely proportionate to the displacement of their cycles. The smiles of the participants were as large as the displacement of a 1200GS and the level of adventure 1200 times greater than the same GS rider ATGATTd for his ride to Starbucks.

Two of my friends own very unusual, irrational, some might say unsafe, cycles. Both started life as sedate, early eighties Honda MB5s. Originally equipped with air-cooled, 50cc two-stroke engines, both have been.....upgraded. One had its engine yanked in favor of a Honda CR80 liquid-cooled two stroke, the other from a Honda CR85. Both will go faster than 75 mph. Both have been ridden on the freeway in spite of the recommendation from Honda not to--in their original configuration.

They both participate in monthly rides originating at Myron's Mopeds ( http://www.myronsmopeds.com/ ) in Fullerton, California and invited me along for the April ride.

I was picked up at nine sharp by my friend Casey. We loaded my bike onto his trailer and headed to pick up our other friend, Steve, in Long Beach. I don't own a moped or a mini motorcycle but decided to ride my 1982 XL500. I was told there was likely to be a few full sized motorcycles and that I would be asked to ride sweep to protect the flank of the slower riders.
My bike shares the trailer with the two baddest MB5s on the planet.

Myron's Mopeds is owned and operated by Shaun Strahm and offers service and sales of new and used mopeds. His shop is the only one of its kind in Southern California. Many scooter shops have opened in the last few years but none have the history or ability to assist in maintaining mopeds from the seventies and early eighties the way that Shaun can. Behind its humble facade Myron's Mopeds is more museum than retail facility.

Shaun's shop has an amazing collection of parts dating back 30+ years.

Need a Puch wheel...take your pick.

What about a shock for a Motobecane...

This bike broke several 50cc land speed records...

Some of the new mopeds have more substantial body work and seating and bars, but still have pedals. A small motorized bike without pedals is not a moped. It is considered a noped.

Shaun and me before the ride outside of the shop.

A handmade, Lifan powered, mini motorcycle complete with seventies XL tank and mountain bike forks and dual front discs.

I believe it weighs 138 pounds dry.

The pre-ride line up.

The ride map.

Everyone fired up and began heading towards Commonwealth Avenue for the first leg of the ride.

The sound and smell of thirty or so two strokes firing up and taking over a city block was awesome. We stayed together as a group for about a mile before I was separated from the rest of the group at the first left turn. I didn't make it through the light but was able to catch up to the back markers quickly down the road a ways. The main group consisted of faster bikes that could maintain 40 mph or more. I hung back with the slower guys, averaging about 33 mph when moving.

At the first "catch up" stop.

At a turn signal we pulled up behind a Plymouth Volare being driven by a senior citizen. He actually held us up for a mile or so before we could safely get around him.

The first official stop we made was at J & J Motorsports in El Monte. They specialize in the sales of inexpensive, mostly Chinese-made, small motorcycles, mopeds and scooters. They also had electric assisted bicycles and electric scooters. When we got there, they had drinks and snacks set up for us and let us demo a number of the bikes and scooters.

My friend Steve on an electric mini-bike.

I might take one of these to Copper Canyon next fall.

The MB5s always attract a lot of attention.

The air horn blared and we mounted up and headed to our second stop--the El Monte Historical Museum.

Parked in front of the museum.

We headed into the empty museum as a group and surprised the docent as more and more people filled the entryway. The docent was very accommodating in spite of her surprise and agreed to give any of us that wanted an abbreviated tour. She is a lifelong El Monte resident and presented the information professionally and with obvious pride in her town.

The museum reminded me of something you'd see in the Midwest or the Deep South. El Monte is a stone's throw from downtown Los Angeles and the existence of a quaint, proud museum seems very out of place in the LA Basin.

El Monte once had a lion farm within its city limits. Most of the lions featured in movies in the 1920s and 1930s featured lions housed there. The classic MGM lion did as well. El Monte High School adopted the lion as its mascot and used to have one of the farm lions in attendance at home football games.

Perhaps this one did, too.

Or this bear.

The museum also houses a Rolls Royce, Model T Ford and a Steamer car.

We fired up the bikes and headed for our third stop and lunch break.

The thing that struck me most about this ride was the reaction of the public as we crept noisily by. People smiled and laughed and waved as we rode by. Many people in their forties and fifties gave a look that was easily recognizable as them thinking, "I remember those..." or, "I didn't think those were still around..." or, "I pedaled one of those things up (fill in the blank) hill everyday going to school." Some looked in disbelief, and had to look twice, as if doubting what they saw the first time.

The ride to the restaurant was brief but once again split between the faster and slower riders.

We arrived at Bahookas.

Every family restaurant should have on its property an anti-aircraft gun.

Ever see the move "Deathproof"? I'm told a seat similar to this one has an unforgettable scene in that movie.

No food pictures. The restaurant was filled with dozens of small and large aquariums including one that was home to a 31 year old South American Pacu that was as big as the smaller mopeds.

After lunch we gathered and began the long trip from El Monte to Fullerton.

Mopeds that get 100 mpg, but have tanks the size of thimbles, need fuel occasionally. We stopped for gas shortly after leaving Bahookas.

The ride is filled with characters of all sorts. Very little leather and no do-rags were present. People were who they are, and no two were the same save for the peculiarity of their rides.

We headed south and during a longer stretch, once again were separated from the faster bikes. I was able to snap a few road pictures going through Whittier and Pico Rivera. With the relaxed pace I was able to really enjoy the sights, sounds and smells of the ride.

We arrived back at Myron's Mopeds at five sharp and people began packing up, saying goodbye and trading information. When word got out that I intended to post a ride report I found out that another inmate was in attendance. Salsa is a member here and was a participant on the ride.

Another rider also owns a KLR650 and he and I will likely take meet up for some rides in the near future.

The ride totalled 46 miles, and I had a ten mile ride home. My moving average and top speed both increased greatly during that last ten miles.

Our route via GPS.

In all, it was ride like no other. The spirit of the riders, the reaction of the public and the relaxation of the pace in a place like Southern California made it unusually fun.

Where to in May?

DRconvertible screwed with this post 04-09-2008 at 09:41 AM
DRconvertible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 10:54 PM   #2
Sly-on-2
Rockin' Winger

Oddometer: 156
DR - Great thread title. It got my attention. That's HILARIOUS. What a fun way to spend a day! I had a moped in '87, but it wasn't half as cool as any one of those.

Great stuff.

Cheers,

Sly

Amblin' about North America - half a year with a 2-wheeled home - Click for the Ride Report

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=328587
Sly-on-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 11:17 PM   #3
OaklandStrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,612

The look on his face is priceless. Sounds like an entertaining ride. Thanks for sharing it.
OaklandStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 11:23 PM   #4
scorpion
Two arm bandit

Oddometer: 5,381
Great ride! Brings back many memories.

I used to do that very same route way back in 1983 to Seal beach on my Motobecane with boogie board strapped to the side.

What no pix of a Bahooka Bowl?

07 KTM 990 11 Husaberg 390
scorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 01:20 AM   #5
mhpr262

Oddometer: 3,542
I really think I need to break out that DiBlasi foldable mokick I´ve had waiting in my cellar for about ten years now....
mhpr262 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 01:46 AM   #6
Hatch
PAR OG

Oddometer: 3,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRconvertible

that pic is quite interesting - I rode the same honda (cept it was some chinese ripoff, but literally the exact same) at my MSF course.
and I have a buddy looking to get rid of the exact same MB5 same paint same everything, cept its got clipon style bars

cool ride report - very original - i'd like to have seen some of the faces of onlookers

its always neat to see places like "Myron's" - something about only dealing in what others would deem entirely uncool is really cool.
Old 04-09-2008, 02:10 AM   #7
dirtypumpkin
"Monster Truck Bike"

Oddometer: 13,971
Cool report, had a friend as a kid with a mb5 on the military base.
I think the MPs hated us.

That lifan powered custom is interesting.
@ 136 lbs it would be fun with some knobs on a single track.
Wonder if that rear susp is any good, front looks decent enough.
If you wish to travel far and fast, travel light. Take off all your envies,
jealousies, unforgiveness, selfishness, and fears. -- Glenn Clark
dirtypumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 03:25 AM   #8
EvilClown
Reality show stunt double

Oddometer: 16,502
Nice report!

The future is no place to place your better days. ~ DMB

The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.

~Augustine of Hippo
EvilClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 04:55 AM   #9
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,809
Wow!! it sure does!! thanks for the hilarious report, and pics!! It's all about the fun factor
Old 04-09-2008, 06:04 AM   #10
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,243
Looks like fun

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 08:13 AM   #11
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,679
Sweet ride(s)!
Old 04-09-2008, 08:38 AM   #12
gatling
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,265
Cool report; thanks for sharing.
'10 California Scooter (my Baja Blaster!)
gatling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 01:28 PM   #13
RideWeaver
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Laugh Moped Flashback...

Before I read your story I've always referred to my first motorcycle as my Suzuki GS1000...completely forgot about the Peugeot moped I received as a high school graduation present in 1978!

Great story and thanks for sending me down the '2-stroke memory lane'...
RideWeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 02:39 PM   #14
Te Hopo
AKA Deanohit

Oddometer: 1,139
Cool RR man, those mopeds looked cool, it was well written and sounded like everyone had a hoot.

We used to play with mopeds, as here we can ride a 50cc before we get our bike licence.
One mate covered 15000kms in a year. He still can't sit down properly.
Te Hopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 02:50 PM   #15
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 46,858
Count me as one of the ex-moped owners, too. Peugeot 103!

Took the baffle out of the muffler, it would cruise 40 and hit 55 on the bigger hills. No baffle, no helmet, no license, no clue, no problem!

Great ride report!

Thanks
CA Stu